What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Question Regarding Water Pipes...

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
first of all cannabis doesn't combine with water hence water curing & bubble hash recipes work nicely. the smoke will mingle with your water and ice and pass intact to your lungs perhaps the smallest amount sticking to some of the glass over time.

the drop in temps on the smoke or vapors has no adverse effect on the potency.

with a bit of luck Smoking Moose will chime in on this subject, he has a source for this exact kind of obscure info.

jawnroot

first of all cannabis doesn't combine with water hence water curing & bubble hash recipes work nicely. the smoke will mingle with your water and ice and pass intact to your lungs perhaps the smallest amount sticking to some of the glass over time.

the drop in temps on the smoke or vapors has no adverse effect on the potency.

with a bit of luck Smoking Moose will chime in on this subject, he has a source for this exact kind of obscure info.

THC and the other psychoactives in cannabis may not be soluble in water, but that doesn't mean the cold can't cause the active ingredients to precipitate out (in other words, go from gas to liquid/solid and stick to the sides of the bong, sink/float in the water, etc).

This line of thinking didn't stop be from buying a bong. I'm looking at it right now, and it sure is a beauty. But it seems basic scientific knowledge would indicate that if you lower the temperature of a substance below its vaporization point, it will condense and liquid/solidify.

But that said, even with a dry pipe the smoke has to pass through room temperature air, then through your mouth and esophagus, both of them well below the vaporization point of THC. So who knows...

G

Guest 26753

Hi guys, this topic has been bandied around for some time now. I do have a recollection of seeing a study on this, but with my old stoner brain I could not find the article lol
What I have found are some other articles that may shed light on this. My understanding is that hot water is best as it removes more of the cancer causing resins and tars, leaving the THC largely intact. If that hot smoke is then cooled in a second ice water chamber, you will get a far smoother and safer smoke. I also understand that there would be minimal condensation (hence precipitation) of the THC laden smoke, simply because the smoke passes through the second chamber too fast for this to occur.
Here are the articles I have found that relate to this. Read up and make your own minds up.

Effects of water filtration on marijuana smoke: a literature review

MAPS: Marijuana Water Pipe and Vaporizer Study

The Dual-Chambered, Hot-Cold Bong

I think at the end of the day, I would always go with an ice water bong for myself if I could not vape. I am lazy by nature and would find it too fiddly to deal with a dual chamber bong, one having ice water and the other having hot water.

jawnroot

Very interesting stuff. At the end of the day, it seems to be one of those pie in the sky, armchair expert type of discussions. I don't think I'll have any trouble getting stoned with my new device.

*mr.mike*

THC and other cannabinoids do get stuck in the water and on the ice - although it really just stays in the water. But it's not some signicant amount, like 10%, or anything that high.

shroomy3

; said:
THC and the other psychoactives in cannabis may not be soluble in water, but that doesn't mean the cold can't cause the active ingredients to precipitate out (in other words, go from gas to liquid/solid and stick to the sides of the bong, sink/float in the water, etc). This line of thinking didn't stop be from buying a bong or water pipe - click here. I'm looking at it right now, and it sure is a beauty. But it seems basic scientific knowledge would indicate that if you lower the temperature of a substance below its vaporization point, it will condense and liquid/solidify. But that said, even with a dry pipe the smoke has to pass through room temperature air, then through your mouth and esophagus, both of them well below the vaporization point of THC. So who knows...

Great point there. To be honest there has been so much debate about thc and water pipes... I would not worry though. Take a big bong hit and tell me you are not high! go a head and buy a water pipe, you won't regret it

Floridian

Veteran
When I started smoking a bong was a one hit device only and after it was burnt the ashes were sucked down into the water.There were no "pass around" bongs or bongs with a bowl designed for more than a single hit.Ahh the god old bamboo bong days along with halleucinagetic mj.Ice was never used as far as I can remember

OldPhart

Speaking of bongs, I had a Graffix bong back in the day, it was awesome. It was simple clear straight glass, with a ceramic base. Had one small rubber gasket to hold the glass stem in the side, with a glass sliding bowl. All the new stuff is all crazy looking with stickers, turns, twists, filters, bublers, ice holders, and who knows what. any one know where to get an old school strait glass bong with a slider??

Last edited:

Gry

Veteran
When high times was still new and seemed amusing, some one suggested warm water in a bong as a way of preconditioning the smoke as to more closely match the the conditions in our lungs. I tried the ice water, and the warm water. The warm seemed more comfortable, so I have stuck with it. Still serves me well.