What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Question Regarding Water Pipes...

jawnroot

This question has been nagging me of late, so I thought I'd get a few opinions...

...water pipes are designed to filter and cool smoke by passing it through water, and in some cases through ice. As we all know, ganja needs to be heated up and/or burnt to turn it into a smokeable vapor.

So I'm wondering, is it possible to over-cool the smoke? In other words, will all the water and all the ice present in some bongs be enough to lower the temperature of the smoke enough, to the point where it recondenses?

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I never caught on to the ice thing. Ice may cool the temp of the smoke going into my lungs but tap water (even slightly warm) is cooler on my throat. The best way for me to increase the amount of smoke in my lungs is to first get it past the back of my throat. Non-iced water works for me. In fact, water doesn't really cool the smoke. Water filters particles from the air bubble cuticle. The smaller the bubbles, the more particles are filtered.

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran
nah once the thc is activated by the heat, its good to go.. just like making butter.. it sits in the fridge all day and its good

or maybe i didnt understand your question correctly..

you're asking if the smoke can become harsh from too much cold temp?

jawnroot

nah once the thc is activated by the heat, its good to go.. just like making butter.. it sits in the fridge all day and its good

or maybe i didnt understand your question correctly..

you're asking if the smoke can become harsh from too much cold temp?

I'm asking if the smoke can become cool enough to the point where THC and other active ingredients precipitate out. In other words, it goes from being a gas/vapor, to being a solid gum that gets stuck on the ice cubes, in the water, or on the walls of the bong itself.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I'm asking if the smoke can become cool enough to the point where THC and other active ingredients precipitate out. In other words, it goes from being a gas/vapor, to being a solid gum that gets stuck on the ice cubes, in the water, or on the walls of the bong itself.

Any surface that comes in contact with the smoke is going to get active oils on it. The cooler the surface, the more will stick.

A bong with a bit of water and a long column of ice cubes will cool the smoke well. (Dunno what your issue is DB but iced smoke is much cooler on the throat. Perhaps it's your bong or something. Dunno)

The water helps to remove the heavier, harsher particulate matter from burning plant material. It also cools the smoke a bit.

jawnroot

Cool (no pun intended). It was just one of those pie-in-the-sky theories that came to me whilst I was sitting around. I've just purchased a RooR -- haven't had a chance to use it yet -- and didn't want to loose a lot of psychoactive material to precipitation.

pack a bowl

no, if that happened people would of stopped using water pipes a long time ago.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
(Dunno what your issue is DB but iced smoke is much cooler on the throat. Perhaps it's your bong or something. Dunno)

What's "dunno"? No issues here dude. Ice is like lights on the tree, doesn't do much for smoking. No doubt ice is cooler but "no ice" is smoother on my throat. I don't need you to tell me that. I've tried both ways with other smokers. Some like ice, some don't.

If you keep going through life without seeing what's best for yourself, you'll keep believing what everybody else tells you. Now that's an issue.

jawnroot, hell yeah man. That stuff gets on anything inside a bong, above the water line especially. Some folks use a screen to keep ash from sucking into the bong. Others change the water regularly. Whatever you do, that shit will creep up on ya.

From what i've read ice is the "wrong" way to cool smoke due to the temp being too low. Or that could just be illadelph's way of tricking you into buying their 800$ glycerin coil cooled two piece bong.

gr0wb0i

When I first started smoking I smoked with on old geezer that had been smoking since the 70's. He explained that by icing his bongs not only did you cool the smoke for your lungs but also cooler smoke=denser smoke=greater hits of THC.

That was 18 years ago and true or not I ice my bong or stick my bubbler in the freezer for a few minutes before every smoke.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
When I first started smoking I smoked with on old geezer that had been smoking since the 70's. He explained that by icing his bongs not only did you cool the smoke for your lungs but also cooler smoke=denser smoke=greater hits of THC.

That was 18 years ago and true or not I ice my bong or stick my bubbler in the freezer for a few minutes before every smoke.

That makes sense. I guess an ever-so-slightly scratchier throat is worth a real gagger ever now and then. I've been ripping for 33 years (I'm older than dirt.) The drummer in my garage band collapsed a lung from bong rips. I've made it this long so I think I'll go get some ice and contemplate.....

jawnroot

na, people just use bongs as a fashion statement... not to get high, duhhhhhhhhh.

C'mon man, no need for that. For all I know, people do use bongs as a fashion statement. I've been a joint/bowl man ever since I've been smoking. I have smoked waterpipes before, but never an iced bong. I was just tossing an idea out there, RE: maybe adding ice to the bong does more harm than good? And: Maybe bongs in general aren't all they're cracked up to be? It was just a thought coming from someone that doesn't have a lot of experience with waterpipes one way or the other.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
C'mon man, no need for that. For all I know, people do use bongs as a fashion statement. I've been a joint/bowl man ever since I've been smoking. I have smoked waterpipes before, but never an iced bong. I was just tossing an idea out there, RE: maybe adding ice to the bong does more harm than good? And: Maybe bongs in general aren't all they're cracked up to be? It was just a thought coming from someone that doesn't have a lot of experience with waterpipes one way or the other.

a bong is my favorite weapon of brain mass destruction. my girl likes joints. I compromise and smoke joints with her. But I always smoke a ripper when I'm anywhere else. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

ive used freezer cold whiskey before.. not my whiskey dont worry i wouldnt waste it like that. but it just tasted whiskey smoke, not that great.. sry had to throw that out there

ive used both ice in bongs and just reg tap water. i can see why colder would seem "smoother" but its like taking a deep breath outside during single digits in winter vs. spring time where its 60-70. point is, tends to be easier in the spring right? just a theory i dunno.
i still prefer iced though cuz i just like the slightly lower temp, if im gonna worry about killin my throat then ill just take a smaller hit.

C

cbf

ve used freezer cold whiskey before.. not my whiskey dont worry i wouldnt waste it like that. but it just tasted whiskey smoke, not that great.. sry had to throw that out there

Alcohol absorbs THC, that is the one liquid you don't want to use.

On a nasty note, I used a bottle of spring water to fill my bubbler at a friends house, the first rip my friend took and then I took a nasty sweet and sour hit, I was like WTF!

I then realized I had put vinegar in the bub from a bottle that looked just like a mineral water bottle, soooo disgustingly nasty, like afizzy bitter sour rip ergh....

Latest posts

Latest posts