What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A question for the growers using Jacks 5-12-26

Hookah79

I grow everything in tap water with 3.7g of Jack's 5-12-26 and 2.5g of CalNit per gallon. Freshly rooted clones all the way through flush. No need for Epsom, most tap has plenty of sulfur and magnesium.
What’s your tap ppm? Are you using a drip system?.Looks like you’re easily over 1100 ppm.

p0opstlnksal0t

I tried it and feel the same way about it as I do about Veg and Bloom....I wanted to like it but still like jacks better for its versatility ,price and healthier looking plants.

That said I do like adding a couple hundred ppms of it to my veg and flower feed (for the first 4 weeks). Its gets the aminos, humic/ fulvic and chitosan I want in the mix.

thanks for the heads up. i may still give it a shot after i burn through this 30lbs of jacks i have.

oti$

I don’t know tbh,literally after 2 weeks gunk starts building up .It could be that the shit is not completely dissolved.I started using aquarium heater to warm up the water before mixing,it seems to help a bit.But i still ended up with gunk in like a month later,but this was in a 2 gallon mix which takes longer to use than 1.I am going to try mixing one gal instead this time.

On another note isn’t there some other way to mix powdered nutes like sometype of an industrial mixer or something?.Because how do greenhouse and agricultural growers mix their powered nutes??

I use a paint stirring attachment on my power drill....10$ or so at Lowe's/El Depot. Works like a charm.

Drop That Sound

About to make the switch to Jacks\dry nutes, have a few questions first!;

Whats the difference between the many products, like the oasis blend?

I noticed some differences in pictures of the 40# bags for sale online, is there a new version of Jack's hydro, and should I avoid buying the older stuff?

And lastly, I want to make a big one time purchase, one supply for all my plants including most types of vegetables. All hydro coco/nft/dwc, indoors and outdoor greenhouse.

Should I avoid "jacks hydro 5-12-26", and instead get some of the other products, to better suit all the different plants feed ratios?

I think I remember reading here and elsewhere that the 5-12-26 is best suited specifically for cannabis, would it even make a good base for everything?

Thanks guys!
-drop

eric2028

Veteran
About to make the switch to Jacks\dry nutes, have a few questions first!;

Whats the difference between the many products, like the oasis blend?

I noticed some differences in pictures of the 40# bags for sale online, is there a new version of Jack's hydro, and should I avoid buying the older stuff?

And lastly, I want to make a big one time purchase, one supply for all my plants including most types of vegetables. All hydro coco/nft/dwc, indoors and outdoor greenhouse.

Should I avoid "jacks hydro 5-12-26", and instead get some of the other products, to better suit all the different plants feed ratios?

I think I remember reading here and elsewhere that the 5-12-26 is best suited specifically for cannabis, would it even make a good base for everything?

Thanks guys!
-drop

Per jacks rep: oasis/ jacks 16-4-17 and jacks cal-mag is a 2 part recipe that’s works best with peat/promix. And from my personal experience it works great!

Jacks 321 is made to work with hydro or coco.

It does great although I’ve found some strains need alittle tweaking at least in veg.

Never tried on veggies sorry

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
I spray jacks (5-12-26)/calnit on my veggies through a fertigator at about an ounce a gallon and they love it.

What the rep at Peters told me was ......if you have calcium in your media use the "classic" formulas.

If your media holds no available calcium, ie...hydro, coir, unammended peat, use the "Controlled Environment" formulas, ie....5-12-26/calnit.

In my humble opinion 5-12-26/calnit would work in any media and allows you to adjust your nitrogen level being a 2 part formula.

Never used the oasis (16-4-17).

Budley Doright

Veteran
Per jacks rep: oasis/ jacks 16-4-17 and jacks cal-mag is a 2 part recipe that’s works best with peat/promix. And from my personal experience it works great!

Jacks 321 is made to work with hydro or coco.

It does great although I’ve found some strains need alittle tweaking at least in veg.

Never tried on veggies sorry

I was unable to find the label of the 16-4-17

Jacks 5-12-26 has very high levels of magnesium and sulfur.... this has led some to speculate it has been made for cannabis...

most people who use 5-12-26 can avoid the use of epsoms...... magnesium and sulfer

with 16-4-17 thats always an option

However the npk sounds more like something I would give to lettuce...not a flower plant of any sort

Budley Doright

Veteran
I did a modified kratky this year......tomatoes....

You might consider it....

I grew in 5 gallon buckets.....let the plants draw down about a third....then maintained that level...
a controller bucket linked to say 12 buckets with plants....

fertigate until you have runoff on the last bucket..... with cannabis however I would do things differently...each bucket would be linked to the controller bucket
You just need to expose some of the roots to the air....

If you have any q's send me a msg

Drop That Sound

I used 5 gallon DWC coolers last year, I think it kept the tomato roots too cold all day actually. Didn't turn out to well, because I was too busy really.. and I should have been supplementing to prevent the inevitable..

This year I went back to coco. I always wanted to try out Larry's rain gutter bucket system too. Net pots in the bottom of the buckets, that sit on and in the gutter, with a float valve. Simple ;)

I'll be re-using all my old 1 liter\gallon bottles, making custom recipes, and printing my own nutrient labels soon enough!

oti$

I left the lid off of the tote I store my calcnit in and it was so humid that there was a pool of liquid in the container....I mixed it up and it's now the consistency of wet cement. No more little balls. Will I be able to still use it or will there be issues?

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
I left the lid off of the tote I store my calcnit in and it was so humid that there was a pool of liquid in the container....I mixed it up and it's now the consistency of wet cement. No more little balls. Will I be able to still use it or will there be issues?
I would try to add enough water to get it to a liquid state and then use that. Depending on how much you have this could require a bucket or even a trash can.

Budley Doright

Veteran

hy·gro·scop·ic

adjective
(of a substance) tending to absorb moisture from the air.

https://www.yara.co.uk/crop-nutrition/fertiliser-handling-safety/physical-properties-of-fertilisers/

While I mix mine by weight...... in the beginning of this thread delta9 mixes by ppm meter.....

It should not be a problem......

MrBungle

Mix the silica in then adjust the pH down to what you need, add the Jacks, check pH again, and mix in the CaNo3 for last of the salts... I save organics for after the CaNO3

(This is intended for the final solution that you are feeding your plants, not meant for concentrates)

Mixing in the silica first and adjusting the pH allows you to get to your target silica ppm without throwing your solution pH way off

oti$

I think the reason you add silica first is that adding it later or last can cause it to fall out of suspension. Silica was one of the very few bottles that I found made any difference in my grows(stronger branches). I stopped using it when I started using Jack's. Does anyone know, off hand, how much silica, if any, is in Jack's professional/calcnit?

Absolem

I think the reason you add silica first is that adding it later or last can cause it to fall out of suspension. Silica was one of the very few bottles that I found made any difference in my grows(stronger branches). I stopped using it when I started using Jack's. Does anyone know, off hand, how much silica, if any, is in Jack's professional/calcnit?

Jacks and calcinit do not contain any silica. Silica doesn't play friendly with most fertilizer salts. Correct about adding silica first or your nutrient solution can fall out of suspension.

oti$

I never had issue with bottled nutes using silica and it made a noticable improvement in branch strength, so I probably will add it and see what happens...I'll probably try some raw salt from someone... suggestions?

Latest posts

Latest posts