What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A question for the growers using Jacks 5-12-26

growteam

Hi LSWM,

While I understand where you are coming from, I STILL believe measuring out by PPM's (or EC) is a much easier task than having to deal with tablespoons or scales.

I mix approx 50-60 gallons on a daily basis which is why I'm not fond of mixing the feed solutions on the spot. I don't care to know exactly how many gallons I am working with. Doing the feed ratios by PPM affords me this luxury. Also, I'm entirely too anal retentive to have any discrepancies in my feed solution. So taking guesses or working "haphazardly" doesn't work for me. I suppose that is part of the "dialing it in" process with our gardens.

The speed at which I can prepare my feed solutions, measuring by PPMs, is far faster than anyone who wishes to weigh their salts and have accurate measurements of how many gallons they are working with. This I can virtually guarantee to be true.

In another thread I saw someone asking if they ask epsom salts to the mix (5-12-26+15-0-0) what is the ppm's of the epsom salts being added? Would you happen to know? So far I dont need to add any epsom salts on any strains I grow but I would love to know should the situation arise.

Ymir

Just to add to the discussion, I was having symptoms of magnesium deficiency with my UK cheese and uk cheese x black widows (especially those).

I started mixing my nutes the following way and by no means should anybody just copy these cuz this was my first batch and used this for the last part of the grow but haven't done another batch yet to tell you if I went through without symptoms this time:

880 grams base hydro stuffs
580 grams cal-nit
130 grams epsom salt

That's probably on the high side of epsoms but they really needed it at the time it seemed at least, and I've been using this same mix on my mother plants for 6 months without problems.

JRPeters recommended I use sulfuric acid in addition to the epsom salts as the plants could use some extra sulfur while also being the best way to adjust the PH down. I bought some battery acid and it's worked great so far, I won't touch another PH product.

growteam

When I used the sulfuric acid the ph would not stay low for more than 24 hours.

5-12-26 = 450ppm
15-0-0 = 300ppm

How many ppms are people adding in epsom salts? Or are you just reading the plants?

DeceiverZ

Veteran
I've been adding between 80 to 150ppm of magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) depending on the plants.

With fresh unused coco, I start with 80ppm at every feeding then bump it up to 150ppm when I flip to 12/12.

I also stop using the Epsom after the 6th or 7th week when I begin bumping up Potassium. It appears to be working well, but as with any feeding regiment, learn to read your plants :)

-DZ

growteam

I've been adding between 80 to 150ppm of magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) depending on the plants.

With fresh unused coco, I start with 80ppm at every feeding then bump it up to 150ppm when I flip to 12/12.

I also stop using the Epsom after the 6th or 7th week when I begin bumping up Potassium. It appears to be working well, but as with any feeding regiment, learn to read your plants :)

-DZ

Ok so every feeding your including the Epsom salt. If you where to feed without the Epsom every time do you run into deficiencies with those strains that need it? Are you doing it with every strain or just the ones that are more hungry for ca/mg ?

Rabbi

And on the subject of solubility,

Calcinit is highly soluble at about 1g/ml, which means you could dissolve 1000g per liter of water. The jacks hydro says 3lbs/gallon, which is 360g/liter.

To make stock solutions of jacks that you use in equal parts, do the following:

1. Get two gallon jugs of distilled water. I suggest choosing a brand with screw-on caps. With a sharpie, write "Hydro" on one and "Calcinit" on the other.

2. Open them and pour out 1/3 of the water from each into a third container temporarily. I suggest getting a cheap plastic funnel since it makes life much easier.

3. Using a clean, dry funnel, add 1200grams of jacks hydro plus 100g epsom salt into the "hydro" bottle. Wash the funnel well and dry it thouroughly after this step. Add water back in until the bottle is nearly full. Replace the cap and shake well.

4. Open the "calcinit" bottle and funnel in 800g of calcinit. Again, add water until almost full, replace the cap, and shake well. You shouldn't have hardly any sediment after a few minutes of shaking.

Now just use the two bottles in equal parts like an ordinary hydro nutrient. Full strength is 10ml/gallon of each and should get you to about 1250ppm. Add the hydro liquid to your rez first, allow to mix in for a few minutes, then slowly add the calcinit liquid.

Big thx, I needed someone to spell it out for me like that.

Just so I know I'm on the same page here, so one would just use lower ppm in veg right? Or do you keep the same ppm through the entire life cycle? Sounds pretty high for small veg.

Also where does one get the "epsom salt" from? They do not have that listed on JP Peters site.

And how long is it ok to keep stock solution for?

Gonna order some jacks today and give it a shot. Sure would be nice if I could replace my 3 part Advanced Nutes.

growteam

Just so I know I'm on the same page here, so one would just use lower ppm in veg right? Or do you keep the same ppm through the entire life cycle? Sounds pretty high for small veg.

Also where does one get the "epsom salt" from? They do not have that listed on JP Peters site.

Gonna order some jacks today and give it a shot. Sure would be nice if I could replace my 3 part Advanced Nutes.

Start with a much lower ppm. I never exceed 900ppm at the peak of flower on a 4 foot tall hungry plant. Jacks is very strong. Start weak you will be surprised.

Rabbi

Start with a much lower ppm. I never exceed 900ppm at the peak of flower on a 4 foot tall hungry plant. Jacks is very strong. Start weak you will be surprised.

My tap water is 540ppm though(think its time to buy an R/O system) and has a ph of 8.0.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran

I only run 1.2-1.3 etc or 600-650 ppm for veg and flower. Even then it can be to much for some strains.

Epsom salts are at the drug store. I get about six pounds for less than five dollars.
Epsom salt is just magnesium sulphate. That I believe is what it is listed as on the web site.

Stock solution will last for ever if it does not dry out.

Rabbi

I only run 1.2-1.3 etc or 600-650 ppm for veg and flower. Even then it can be to much for some strains.

Epsom salts are at the drug store. I get about six pounds for less than five dollars.
Epsom salt is just magnesium sulphate. That I believe is what it is listed as on the web site.

Stock solution will last for ever if it does not dry out.

Big thx for the info IC. Looks like I got some experimenting to do.

Rabbi

What's everybody's opinion on the Citric Acid(PH down) that JR PETERS sells? Noticed no one mentioned it this entire thread unless I missed it(which is entirely possible).

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I use phosphoric acid. Get a gallon for less than fifteen dollars at tractor supply. Very strong and is food grade. It is used to remove calcium build up in milking equipment.

growteam

What's everybody's opinion on the Citric Acid(PH down) that JR PETERS sells? Noticed no one mentioned it this entire thread unless I missed it(which is entirely possible).

I also prefer phosphoric acid.

Your ppm's from tap are WAY TO HIGH. You will experience lots of problems and huge ph fluxes. Are you sure thats accurate?

Rabbi

I also prefer phosphoric acid.

Your ppm's from tap are WAY TO HIGH. You will experience lots of problems and huge ph fluxes. Are you sure thats accurate?
yes unfortunately, i double checked again today...fortunately though I've decided to buy an r/o system this week:dance013:.

Rabbi

Another question I have for you hydro guys(like myself), do you guys top up with water once your res gets lower? For myself I change my res(water and nutes) weekly and top up with water usually once during that week. If I don't, my water levels will get low(obviously) and my tds levels will rise. Basically just wondering if I should be doing that once I switch to Jacks or do I just leave the res untouched all week long until my next res change?

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I don't run hydro. I run hand watered coco.

That said most hydro guys say to watch the ec of your res. If it is going down your nutes are low. If it is going up your nutes are to strong. Try to get it were justthe volume moves and not the ec. If your ec stays the same and the volume goes down you have a good water to nutes ratio.

growteam

I was under the impression that plants drink more water than they eat food, is that wrong?

Sometimes its true.

Sometimes they drink more than they eat. Sometimes they eat and drink everything. Depends on many factors.

Its not a universal rule that they will drink more than they eat.

growteam

Another question I have for you hydro guys(like myself), do you guys top up with water once your res gets lower? For myself I change my res(water and nutes) weekly and top up with water usually once during that week. If I don't, my water levels will get low(obviously) and my tds levels will rise. Basically just wondering if I should be doing that once I switch to Jacks or do I just leave the res untouched all week long until my next res change?

I keep it topped up with water as much as possible. In the past I didnt top up with water daily but I didnt have problems. The only time that I started to have issues with not topping up with water is that if the EC started to rise because the plants where drinking too much.

I change out my feed after the EC drops by 25-30%. Sometimes at peak of flower when plants are really hungry that 30% drop happens every couple days so I have to change out the feed more often.

Just keep it simple, and look at the plants. I know that I have a bad habbit of overdoing things or the constant urge to do more.

I gave you a pretty safe answer. Your tap water EC will just make your life a living hell. Getting the RO is a good choice.

Rabbi

I keep it topped up with water as much as possible. In the past I didnt top up with water daily but I didnt have problems. The only time that I started to have issues with not topping up with water is that if the EC started to rise because the plants where drinking too much.

I change out my feed after the EC drops by 25-30%. Sometimes at peak of flower when plants are really hungry that 30% drop happens every couple days so I have to change out the feed more often.

Just keep it simple, and look at the plants. I know that I have a bad habbit of overdoing things or the constant urge to do more.

I gave you a pretty safe answer. Your tap water EC will just make your life a living hell. Getting the RO is a good choice.

Thanks man, yeah that was exactly the answer I was looking for...and yes getting r/o this week for sure.