What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

a ppk for a 6 plant limit

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Hey D Now that you have all the plant res and main res connected are you going to be placing muck buckets on top of those ones for plants or some other type ??? looks great so far
Anyways going to start getting my set up going this Friday coming

So whats everyones thoughts on this 15 gallon res below plants ( 6 tree set up ) and i got a bunch of these in picture that i will cut in half and place on top of plant res holding medium and plant main res will be two of them blue pails joined together by a T

this is a complete plant growing module if i understand correctly, nothing else is added to grow a plant in it.

DrFever

Veteran
So now you will place some sort of medium in upper part ?? and clone etc sorry for asking but looks like 4 - 5 " of actual medium will this be enough for root zone
little confused just thought there would be another bucket placed on inside that module

Grow4Flow

So now you will place some sort of medium in upper part ?? and clone etc sorry for asking but looks like 4 - 5 " of actual medium will this be enough for root zone
little confused just thought there would be another bucket placed on inside that module

Hey Doc,
What you are looking at is the complete module for one plant site, it already contains the nested plant pot (shallow tub), just fill with rinsed media and you are ready to plant.

There is plenty enough root space in the top tub and fits just about the same amount of media a 5 gallon bucket wouldn only you now you have horizontal root space vs vertical. the previous model using the tuff stuff tubs are 7 gallon and you can see just how big plants get in them looking at others PPK grow.

give it a shot buddy, ya won't regret it

Your containers, how tall are they, probably 2-2.5' tall? then adding the media half on top of that, maybe sacrificing some height with those.

DrFever

Veteran
Hey Doc,
What you are looking at is the complete module for one plant site, it already contains the nested plant pot (shallow tub), just fill with rinsed media and you are ready to plant.

There is plenty enough root space in the top tub and fits just about the same amount of media a 5 gallon bucket wouldn only you now you have horizontal root space vs vertical. the previous model using the tuff stuff tubs are 7 gallon and you can see just how big plants get in them looking at others PPK grow.

give it a shot buddy, ya won't regret it

Your containers, how tall are they, probably 2-2.5' tall? then adding the media half on top of that, maybe sacrificing some height with those.
yea i ordered some 15 gallon pails looks the same as D9's but larger them blue drums will be used for main res i guess i just thought that there was going to be another pail above the module so guess i do not need to cut them blue drums in half as my plans were to then place medium in them and place on top of module its all coming together lol i guess got confused over this pic looked like there was pot above plant res
My concerns are with shallow root system will it hold a tree up

Attachments

• user411304_pic1292050_1406316456 (1).jpg
    user411304_pic1292050_1406316456 (1).jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 18

Mrrite008

D9,

Can you fill us in on the (4) 3/16" holes located in the "feed pan" ? As this is something new in your latest design.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
yea i ordered some 15 gallon pails looks the same as D9's but larger them blue drums will be used for main res i guess i just thought that there was going to be another pail above the module so guess i do not need to cut them blue drums in half as my plans were to then place medium in them and place on top of module its all coming together lol i guess got confused over this pic looked like there was pot above plant res

hey doc, these only hold 3 gals of medium and are not for growing trees. look at dabs top containers in his thread. they are 7 gal but hold 5 gals of medium easily.

people have grown 2-3 lb trees in those. the tuff tubs fit the 70 qt muck tubs well.

in a few days i'll be able to show some of those too.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran

this pic is of a current culture bottom being modified to work as a ppk. the top container is the bottom of a 55 gal drum. there are 2 4" tailpieces in each one.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
D9,

Can you fill us in on the (4) 3/16" holes located in the "feed pan" ? As this is something new in your latest design.

the holes serve several purposes. they allow for a faster drain during the gravity driven portion of the drain.

and they break the surface tension in the plant reservoirs every time the pump fires. this helps to prevent any surface precipitates from forming.

DrFever

Veteran
this pic is of a current culture bottom being modified to work as a ppk. the top container is the bottom of a 55 gal drum. there are 2 4" tailpieces in each one.

I think thats what i am going to do is cut some lower 55 gallon drums making it 10 gallon for my medium and run 15 gallon below that for res with 3 or 4 tail pipes either triangular or square

Mrrite008

D9,

I took notes about your "clone containers" but never was able to visually see the them. I think that i have the concept, and acquired the necessary items to make them. Are you still using these and transplanting?...or rooting cuttings directly in the ppk system itself?

bearded1

Well there you go again. Every time you build new you get simpler and cleaner. this build is cool. The evolution has been fun to watch. 3 or 4 yrs now and they just get sharper. Really nice build.

DrFever

Veteran
oh that'll be easy, pull the lid off your indoor room, 20kw, and 9 months of veg time.

Well grow i expect min 15 week veg complete grow to be 7 - 8 months duration putting down pretty much same amount of wattage per sq foot as the sun puts down 110 - 130 watts per sq foot i got fuck all to do and this sounds like fun really 2 plants even if cops come crashing in its only 2 plants electricity is paid for not like i was trying to hide anything with 6000 kilo watt a hr
lol

Anyways i need some input for my growing medium

Going to check on turface availability in my area but thinking of combining a few others like hydrocorn , some gravel 1/4 crushed rock and wood chips and on top inorganic mulch to deter gnats and other insects this will also keep the top of medium moist which i think D9 mentioned plants did better

Miraculous Meds

Well grow i expect min 15 week veg complete grow to be 7 - 8 months duration putting down pretty much same amount of wattage per sq foot as the sun puts down 110 - 130 watts per sq foot i got fuck all to do and this sounds like fun really 2 plants even if cops come crashing in its only 2 plants electricity is paid for not like i was trying to hide anything with 6000 kilo watt a hr
lol

Going to check on turface availability in my area but thinking of combining a few others like hydrocorn , some gravel 1/4 crushed rock and wood chips and on top inorganic mulch to deter gnats and other insects this will also keep the top of medium moist which i think D9 mentioned plants did better

Ive tried the hydrocorn, I don't recommend it.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
lol

$7/bag, NAPA 8822 is the cheapest and easiest to obtain. I've had very successful grows using it.. Turface MVP, that I'm using now (1st time, couldn't find any previously in FLA) flows water much better and is cleaner (8822, continuously degrades an puts dusty residue in the rexs'. MVP seems easier to reuse, leftover roots seem to me, more easily removed. in either case, rise of the nutrients from the bottom rez by wick into the top pot (I forget WTF its called) is best with either of these 2 medias. stone and other medias will have more or less 'wicking' affect, which in turn affects the perched water table effect.

OH! and unlike coco or dirt, I've had no gnats with either of these two.

Grow4Flow

$7/bag, NAPA 8822 is the cheapest and easiest to obtain. I've had very successful grows using it.. Turface MVP, that I'm using now (1st time, couldn't find any previously in FLA) flows water much better and is cleaner (8822, continuously degrades an puts dusty residue in the rexs'. MVP seems easier to reuse, leftover roots seem to me, more easily removed. in either case, rise of the nutrients from the bottom rez by wick into the top pot (I forget WTF its called) is best with either of these 2 medias. stone and other medias will have more or less 'wicking' affect, which in turn affects the perched water table effect.

OH! and unlike coco or dirt, I've had no gnats with either of these two.

snook,
how many ya think is needed for the 7 gal tuff tubs? i see turface on the bay for $33/50lb bag, is that a deal or no?

Latest posts

Latest posts