What's new

A perfect cure every time

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
the Rh inside the one jar of buds I trimmed and put in at 3am this morning is now at 69% Rh...looks like all it needs now is a little burping..

I'm going to use the same technique on all the other jars from now on.

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
I'm just following Simon's technique watts ..that's all... he said when the stems still have some flex and the buds feel dry to the touch then you can jar them..right?

The drying area is still 68 degrees with 50% Rh..the remaining plants looked good the last time I checked and seem to be drying at a good pace..much slower than my previous harvests.

St3ve

why didn't you jsut let them dry longer before jarring? You barely hung for 3 days

I agree..

Was that a stable 69% RH in the jar? My guess is, if you left the lid on longer it would have probably went higher. Be careful jarring it too early.

If it was me I would dump it out into a paper bag for another day or two (with the hygrometer) and see how things go. 69% is too wet for the jar.

rrog

Veteran
Agreed. I would bet the Rh would climb into the 70s and that's mold territory. I leave for a week at 60-70% Rh at 65 to 75. I prefer cooler.

However, the Rh after 6-8 hours in sealed jars would tell a lot. Big colas take forever but I like to cure one big cola each time. And smoke it last. I have to be a bit aggressive with the drying of big bud.

Im at 70-75 degrees and 60-68% rh in my basement. Been drying for 4 days. I wanna speed her up a bit but still get clean smoke so for 24 hrs i moved it to another spot 73-78 degrees and 45-55% rh. Im hoping switching between these two spots will speed it up but still have clean strong taste/smell. Like i said its a test for big chop eta 4-5 days

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Experience counts in judgement calls

Experience counts in judgement calls

"I'm just following Simon's technique watts ..that's all... he said when the stems still have some flex and the buds feel dry to the touch then you can jar them..right?"

Yes.
But how much flex?
How dry do they feel?
Both are judgement calls and require some experience to get right.
Here's my Jarring tell.

When the larger stems snap, but do not break free and the buds no longer feel moist.
Snap off a couple lower buds from about half way up the stalk.
Just hold the bud and spin the stem a half turn.
If it pulls a "string" from the stalk it's still too wet.
If it snaps clean, jar it.

When I do it this way I get ~ 60% after 8 hours.
Then I just burp briefly to exchange the methane.
Works a treat.:tiphat:

Aloha,
Weeze

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
okay..well, I actually don't have any paper bags at the moment..is there another way to dry the buds a bit more to be able to put into jars? like just laying it out on a table..? this plant is kinda my experiment plant since it has so many seeds...

I know now to wait on the other ones too..but this method helps a ton :)

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Sure, just set them out on a paper towel.
Seeds, eh?
That's probably why the buds felt dry a bit early.

Aloha,
Wee

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
yup, seeded bud..i used seeds that came from some seeded dispensary bud..they somehow pollinated themselves or were prone to that..I dunno..have to get real seeds next time.

but otherwise good looking buds...sticky, crystally, range from light green with bright red hairs to darker green with dense buds..smell is really good too..

I will have to sit the bud that is in jars on a paper towel..thanks for the advice Weezard :)

John Deere

Veteran
After my initial dry but before jars I like to put everything all together to equalize the RH through the whole batch since the large buds will take longer to dry than the small. I use old plastic ice cream tubs and just treat it like a big jar, venting daily or more as necessary. (I hate calling it burping--that's just too gross) I keep them like this until they stabilize around 60% or whatever I'm shooting for and then then go into the jars. It seems to work pretty well for me b/c when I move to jars the RH is basically the same when I check each jar individually.

Ex. Here's a bucket of sour bubble.

Never rush a cure. To speak otherwise is blasphemy.
A proper intial dry should take 7-10 days hanging time (through passive air movement).
From that point on you can put them into Glass Jars and give your buds a minimum of 4 weeks cure time(I buy 7l glass mason jars for $5.00 from homesense). Open the jars once daily for 10 minutes for the first week, then you can judge the time variable.

People tell me I'm a pot snob, but you can't let desperation get the better of you friend.
Don't live with the regret of rushed pot. It will not be anywhere near as meaningful or fullfilling. Take it from a stranger who knows his stuff.

cheers,

/PGC

p.s. Never rush a cure. I was at a local national mmj show and there were alot of people trying sell products that decrease drying and curing time. Curing is a Chemical process. When i asked them how their process sped up the naturally occuring process, they were not able to provide me with a scientific or knowledgable guess. The process takes time.

p.p.s. I would actually argue that the cure begins before your chop and hang the plant, as you prepare the plant for harvest and simulate the finishing of the seasons you really are taking your first steps there. If you do not take this step, it may effect your cure. I cannot say for certain as I grow in a controlled room and opt to increase my dark period, decrease my temperatures, and scale down the water and RH.

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
awesome info peeps :)

well, looks like the one plant that I rushed to jar is doing fine and drying out for another day or two until I can get the other plants ready for jars at the same time...the Rh in the jar actually hit 73% yesterday while I was at work, so I immediately put them on paper towels..

everything seems good now though..it's been 4 days of total dry time so far and the 3 still hanging are not even close it seems...a couple stems are harder, but nothing is dry on any of them except leaves...pretty awesome feat considering the Rh here is so damn low..

again, thanks for all the help, mad love guys :)

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
i don't have a camera because I'm a cheap bastard, but I do have other things to take pics with..PS Vita, cell phone,web cam...I'm going to put some pics up so I can show you guys my haul, however seeded it may be, it's still the best looking plants I've ever harvested in terms of trichome density, color, and just overall looks.

headees

Well how long has it been now? I stashed a case full of weed in the dark been burped a few time, smelling sweeter everytime.
View Image
Steady as she goes Captain. Keep it in this range.
View Image

Have you guys tried these hygrometers pictured here? I got some of these off ebay from a link on this thread and they dont seem to be even remotely accurate. My caliber III is at 62% and these are reading 83%. I guess what do you expect for the price, but geez. Anyone know of any cheap accurate hygrometers, or is the consensus that the caliber III the way to go?

igrowone

Veteran
Have you guys tried these hygrometers pictured here? I got some of these off ebay from a link on this thread and they dont seem to be even remotely accurate. My caliber III is at 62% and these are reading 83%. I guess what do you expect for the price, but geez. Anyone know of any cheap accurate hygrometers, or is the consensus that the caliber III the way to go?

i have thought about this a little, always looking for better, cheaper, faster
maybe not faster, at least not for curing
but say you buy a bunch of the cheapo hygrometer's, i think you can find some for near 1-2$ or so
some will be bad, some should be pretty close to the caliber readings, use the caliber to test the cheap hygrometer's accuracy
but only works if you have a caliber to start with

headees

Yea, Ive got quite a few jars, so buying a caliber III for each one isnt exactly economical, hence trying to find cheaper options. I just got these cheapies today, so I'll do some more testing before I deem them unusable. I just read a post on pg96 where Simon said he tested them and fond them to be accurate to within a couple points, so maybe I got a bad batch or just need a little patience to see if they will dial in over time. I am testing them against the one caliber III I have, but who knows maybe it could be off??

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Sure, I bought a dozen of them.
Cheap is cheap.
However, I also have 6 Caliber IIIs.

So, I put them all in a box and waited.
When they had stabilized, the Calber's all agreed within 1%.

The cheapies were all over the ball park.
But, calibration is easy.
Poke a toothpick through the holes in the back and nudge the assembly until it matches the rest.
Put 'em back in da box until the RH changes and check again.
Only had to discard 3 of them.
I start a jar with the Caliber, then drop in a cheapy for long term storage and save my.
Calibers for measuring where it matters most.

It's one of those rare cases where half-assed IS good enough. :)

Aloha,
Weeze