What's new

A perfect cure every time

http://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-sea...@ADL4P00-adType^PLA-device^m-adid^55532708770

The above link my wife said is a good sealer, never had problems with it she's does the sealing. I seal by the pound. I add in an extra 10 grams and a boveda to ensure no pack is light even 6 months later.

She also said to make sure to use 11" bags as the 8" are too small.

I'm only going to seal in jars for the pure long flowering sativas that require more gentle handling.

http://m.acehardware.com//product/index.jsp?productId=2841638

Those are the jars I cure in, 1/2 gallon mason jars from Ace you can get them for $9.99 a pack if you go in and talk to the manager and order in bulk, over $1000. Hands down cheapest option with no drop in quality.

I hang dry in a climate controlled room humidity 55-62%, temperature 64-67. I dry until the stem just starts to crack or about %70RH. if your not sure just take a branch and stick in a small mason jar with hygrometer to check the RH before taking it out of the drying room if your not sure.

My goal is to give it to the trimmers at around 68-71% RH which they place directly into the half gallon mason jars. When the jar is filled they bring it to my wife for weighing/recording and then placed into curing room. The jars are never shaken or handled roughly as this will damage Resin heads.

In the curing room i have jars on racks with the last RH reading % and time/date. I open the jars for about 15 minutes-20 minutes twice daily until the RH evens out in the buds and their reading consistently beneath 65%, I like 63/64% then vacuum sealed with boveda that way you can ensure every single bud NEVER leaves the cure state before the point of sale.

With those hygrometers just order a bunch and then my wife like to put them all in the same jar for 24 hours to see if any are reading different then the others.

If your backed up on trimming and you have buds that are getting into the lower 60%rh then you can vacuum seal the branches and buds together with boveda for short term storage until your ready to trim, again that ensures no buds ever leave the cure state.

Thank you, just a couple unanswered questions:

What size packs are you using and which RH percentage packs are you using?

MountZionCollec

Yup those are them! Ya we seal them in jars in groups to store until the next year and those are the ones we use if we get backed up on trimming. Then new ones for the final sealing

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
Some of the stuff I dried and cured still turns out worse haha. Does my nut drying, and that shitty damp smell kills it apart from when bud breaks open. Hardest bit to dial in for me

I agree, doob. Growing is pretty easy, curing can be a bitch. The OP's guidelines have done the most to help me dial in of anything else I have tried.

i agree with u fellas here. i can grow very easy but the cure is the part of my game that i need to improve the most. im gonna try those boveda packs this year and see what i can come up with.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I honestly think that some back & forth between the jars & open air drying while the stuff is still too wet is beneficial, at least for those of us who don't have well controlled conditions for drying. Inside to outside moisture level is more even when it comes back out of the jars.

It was more work than I liked, so I changed it a little bit. Instead of going from the mesh bags to the jars, I put the bags with the bud into a picnic cooler with a tight lid overnight, then back into the drying rack the next morning. Today, after 7 days of drying, the hygrometers in the cooler were at 60% when I opened it, so everything went into jars for a 30 day cure. Experience tells me the RH will bounce back a little in the jars.

As MZC offers, you have to catch it at the right point of drying out, stop drying & begin curing.

Dirk907

Jhhnn, do you think slowing the dry down like that helps to further eliminate the "green" smell? Often I find that I get good taste and effect, but smell never does flourish.... Always a bummer.... Of course, until now I never used a hygrometer, so we'll see how this batch turns out

Jhhnn

Veteran
Jhhnn, do you think slowing the dry down like that helps to further eliminate the "green" smell? Often I find that I get good taste and effect, but smell never does flourish.... Always a bummer.... Of course, until now I never used a hygrometer, so we'll see how this batch turns out

Dunno. I do it to pull moisture from the inside of the buds to the outside, keep it more even. It's dry enough here in Denver that buds can be too dry on the outside while still too wet on the inside.

If you get it right, it'll smell right.

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
I'd think you would lose all the good qualities of a sealed glass jar when you cut a hole in the lid. Sort of defeats the purpose of an airtight container.
I suppose you could seal it with something though.

otis48

Plastic tote cure question

Well,I have read dozens of pages and have a pretty good idea of how to procede wiith my cure.
Problem is I will have a couple lbs of bud and the idea of unscrewing
a couple dozen jars seems a bit daunting...so,what about using a couple 10 gallon totes to get the RH down to 62% then storing in jars?
]Bad idea?
Anyone tried this?
Plastic is too porous?
What?
And BTW,what a wonderful resource this forum is [this thread in particular!]I am so thnkful!Bless you all!Pax vobiscum...

otis48

Well,I have read dozens of pages and have a pretty good idea of how to procede wiith my cure.
a couple dozen jars seems a bit daunting...so,what about using a couple 10 gallon totes to get the RH down to 62% then storing in jars?
]Bad idea?
Plastic is too porous?
What?
And BTW,what a wonderful resource this forum is [this thread in particular!]
I am so thnkful!Bless youl!Pax vobiscum...

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
With these ones you can cut a hole in the jar lid and have the hygro meter on the lid
Circular: http://www.banggood.com/LCD-Mini-Celsius-Digital-Thermometer-Hygrometer-Meter-p-937056.html

Rectangle: http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-M...ty-Meter-Gauge-Hygrometer-Indoor-p-51992.html

Much to easier to read then having to peer through the distortion of the jar and having to maneuver it around in the buds into a readable position.

Plus or minus 5% ?!
That makes it just about worthless for our purpose.

I suggest that you don't cheap out on the meter.
I bought one of those small, round, Chinese, offerings.
It was extremely inaccurate.
Would not have known that if I didn't already have several Caliber IIIs.

2 cents,
Weeze

Miraculous Meds

]Bad idea?
Plastic is too porous?
What?

as long as the room its in is reasonably close to target rh. otherwise the lid on the tote wont be enough to seal out the room conditions. Some people use 5 gal buckets with lids that screw on n have a seal. I think ive heard the term gamma lids for this purpose. check out Mckush' thread, hes got some. theres prob some in this thread.

Me, I leave the totes or buckets in a room that is controlled by a dehuey at 60%. So the standard buckets n totes are enough to sweat the buds n bring out the inner moisture.

then when im happy they are evenly dry, I will put them in jars to store/cure.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
]Bad idea?
Plastic is too porous?
What?

You could try paper bags. I had a main cola from Mr. Nice Shit sitting in a paper bag for a little over two weeks, and boy did it smoke great. Bud density improved, burned perfectly. Taste and smell were excellent. I couldn't been happier. Could have gone into jar immediately and stayed sealed with no need of burmping, but I smoked it all. :biggrin:

I used just a lunch sized paper bag. You'll obviously need something larger, but the bags allow the buds a real nice slow dry.

I definitely recommend it.

You'd be fine getting the RH to 62% in a tote and then putting into jars to cure, just don't try to cure in those totes. Also, I suggest letting the tote air out open after washing it with a paper towel and some rubbing alcohol or something for at least a week before using it so you don't get that nasty plastic smell or little pieces of plastic dust.