What's new

A perfect cure every time

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Im not sure its been mentioned yet, but I just learned there is now a Caliber IV with adjustable calibration! Ive already snap placed my order for one. I can't wait to get it.

Ftscustm

I am sorry to say, I think you be a little disappointed

I am sorry to say, I think you be a little disappointed

Im not sure its been mentioned yet, but I just learned there is now a Caliber IV with adjustable calibration! Ive already snap placed my order for one. I can't wait to get it.

It has been a while since I have read this thread, and I have enjoyed its community a number of times: I was under the impression that although Caliber III's are difficult to get hold of - they are the ones most people have run their personal tests with. That doesn't mean this purchase a mistake, just a continuation in a further direction of experimentation: Well done you, please post - we shall follow...

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I already have a caliber III, but I needed another hygrometer, and having the ability to adjust it was even more reason to upgrade to a IV. Ill post about my experiences with the IV down the line once I get to use it for awhile.

Ftscustm

Thank you.

Thank you.

I already have a caliber III, but I needed another hygrometer, and having the ability to adjust it was even more reason to upgrade to a IV. Ill post about my experiences with the IV down the line once I get to use it for awhile.

Good news for that, you have the perfect side by side.

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran

did you order the calibration pack? you'll need it for the Caliber IV unless you have something else that does the job.

Jhhnn

Veteran
did you order the calibration pack? you'll need it for the Caliber IV unless you have something else that does the job.

I just use a boveda pack in a sealed jar. I don't care if the hygrometer is accurate at 80% or 40%, just at 62%.

With the caliber 3's, I label each with a correction factor- add 2, cut 3, whatever the difference may be from a true reading.

I've had a couple die on me. New batteries didn't change that, unfortunately.

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
I just use a boveda pack in a sealed jar. I don't care if the hygrometer is accurate at 80% or 40%, just at 62%.

With the caliber 3's, I label each with a correction factor- add 2, cut 3, whatever the difference may be from a true reading.

I've had a couple die on me. New batteries didn't change that, unfortunately.

yup, same here. changing batteries actually threw off the calibration in the III's worse than it was with old batteries, but it's nothing a sharpie doesn't cure

maybe what i should have said is you're gonna need something to calibrate with :ying:....... i don't use the boveda packs for anything but calibration so i just have the 75% calibration pack on hand.

Jhhnn

Veteran
yup, same here. changing batteries actually threw off the calibration in the III's worse than it was with old batteries, but it's nothing a sharpie doesn't cure

maybe what i should have said is you're gonna need something to calibrate with :ying:....... i don't use the boveda packs for anything but calibration so i just have the 75% calibration pack on hand.

I cure & store everything w/ 62% packs. Dragged out some Yumbolt from the wayback stash, over a year old- still springy, still yummy, smokes smoother every time I fetch a bit of it.

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
someone handed me a sample of the 62% packs at last years cannabis cup. i used them but they didn't seem to do anything that much different for me than what simon's ideas already had. i just never bothered getting more because i had lived without them before. maybe i'll get another sample this year

Dave Coulier

Veteran

Yep, yep. I ordered the calibration pack as well. Last night I tested out my old Caliber III w/ a new battery, in a sealed jar with Boveda 65% RH Pack, and the III is still right on the money at 65%. Fine products, imo.

Jhhnn

Veteran
someone handed me a sample of the 62% packs at last years cannabis cup. i used them but they didn't seem to do anything that much different for me than what simon's ideas already had. i just never bothered getting more because i had lived without them before. maybe i'll get another sample this year

I won't argue. the Boveda's are just my insurance policy against a bad seal or drying out a little more every time the jar is opened. They'll even re-hydrate dry material, like the time one of us left a lid open for a few days (A week? Who knows?) when we put it away. The stuff was already cured & the boveda was still soft so I just snapped the lid shut. Curing seems to taper off to nearly nothing after a few months in any case. I do it to maintain the texture. I've been trying to create the stash equivalent of a wine cellar which isn't as easy as I thought it might be....

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
wine cellar?:laughing:

london and hemingway both tried to get wine cellars going:biggrin: for some strange reason it just didn't work out.

i'm not saying thats a bad thing. i call my "wine cellar" the archives, but it doesn't help it stay stocked either

Pendleton

I was thinking I need a few more hygrometers myself, anyone else just use the round analog ones from cigar humidors? I've found them to be a good fit especially for mason jar cures.

Great thank you. that takes the guesswork out of it. I live in such a humid coastal climate, by the ocean, things re-humidify, without me even trying

Hottish

You could just flip your jars over 180deg, might be easier

I cut my buds from their main stems and placed them in jars early as you suggested. It was a bit early but you're right, I'd rather err on the side of early then late. After a few hours 1 jar reached an RH of 73%. I opened the jar, leaving the buds inside and let them sit in my tent for a good 4 hours. The exhaust was on a timer that came on every 45 mins for 15 mins to just clear out any stale/wet air occasionally.

I then closed the jars over night and the RH was still at 70% in the morning. This tells me I definitely could have let them dry another 24 hours before curing. But no harm done because the RH is slowly lowering and I'd rather be able to control it slowly like this.

I also found that it is important to move the buds around in the jar (swap bottom buds with top buds) if the RH is rising above 70% because the lower buds can get soft to the touch which indicates water. The top buds feel sticky though. So probably a good thing to check in the first few days of curing until stuff stabilizes.

Anyway, thanks for your input :)

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
I cure & store everything w/ 62% packs. Dragged out some Yumbolt from the wayback stash, over a year old- still springy, still yummy, smokes smoother every time I fetch a bit of it.

im gonna be trying these this year. curing my herb is my weak link sometimes i do it perfect and other times its to dry and harsh even though i have did it the same way for years. i have to cure outside in my shed so i suppose it all depends on what the humidity is like at the time. my shed is closed in so rain or wet dew gets on the buds but it still varys for me. im hoping the boveda does the trick for me

Jhhnn

Veteran
im gonna be trying these this year. curing my herb is my weak link sometimes i do it perfect and other times its to dry and harsh even though i have did it the same way for years. i have to cure outside in my shed so i suppose it all depends on what the humidity is like at the time. my shed is closed in so rain or wet dew gets on the buds but it still varys for me. im hoping the boveda does the trick for me

As simon points out, the big issue is transitioning from drying to curing when the moisture content is just right, then holding that moisture level to cure. That requires careful observation & diligence. If it dries too much before attempting to cure, you're done. Bovedas just aid in holding the moisture content at the right level.

As you say, drying conditions vary for most of us so diligence pays off in the end result.

Latest posts

Latest posts