What's new

A Pain In Molasses

mad librettist

Veteran
I posted those links to show that it is possible for plants to uptake complex organic molecules that are not necessitated by the plant. The roots are not perfect gatekeepers.

this is the basis for bioremediation, and for not growing lettuce next to old houses.

it just doesn't lead to your point. nor does all that technical language - not objected to because of technical character, but because I spent all that time deciphering it only to find it wasn't really related to your point in any meaningful way.

annoying!

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Whether plants can assimilate intact carb molecules was never addressed by myself in this thread.

And I doubt it's your lack of comprehension. Thread is a shitshow, partially my fault.

Schwilly; I believe that you are genuinely invested in the pursuit of truth or what we call truth. I do realize this thread has become distorted. I would be interested in learning more of the potential for organic molecules being uptaken by roots, especially passively. Please at some point send me some supportive material. You can contact me through a PM or my url microbeorganicsdotcom.

My reference to the carbohydrate molecule was per black strap molasses.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
After uprooting a finished plant, I placed the roots in 150^+ water. The idea was to shock them into giving up more resin, but that's besides the point. It did surprisingly well in the hot water, I left it a few days, changing tepid water again for hot. At one point. after adding an excessive amount of molasses, a change of color became apparent in the plant which took on the tone of the molasses. Too many variables for an accurate analysis though it may lay suspect to heat being a factor in which there may be some uptake.
What can I say? It was my transition away from MG and I was trying anything to get rid of that taste.

If you mean to say that you placed molasses in the hot water, why not describe what you did. e.g. how much molasses; what kind; what temperature; time of aberration, etc. Otherwise why? MG?

h.h.

Veteran
If you mean to say that you placed molasses in the hot water, why not describe what you did. e.g. how much molasses; what kind; what temperature; time of aberration, etc. Otherwise why? MG?
Some of my first grows were in Miracle grow soil and really had bad flavors. In an attempt to flush them, I rinsed the roots clean and used the hot water. A 5 gallon bucket filled from the hot water heater along with maybe half a cup of molasses. Nothing scientific, just some unexpected observances. Mainly that the plant didn't die. It lost a lot of the intense green it had from too much nitrogen, though that had to do with less light intensity as well. Then there was the taking on of the molasses tone.
Take it for what it was worth, which really isn't much more than a hint of pigmentation. The taste did improve though I think water curing was the best when trying to smoke chemicals, I mean MG grown pot.

grapeman

Veteran
A beefsteak contest in the desert. That takes some doing. A steady drip and shade or what? Them big ones crack and scold so easily.
The heirlooms are the way to go. Too expensive at the store, you have to grow them. Beefsteaks, I could buy cheap enough, if I wanted to. Go with the purples and the blacks. Each one has just a little flavor variation making each bite an adventure.

Yes difficult - that's what makes it a contest. I was trying for a repeat 1st place but the winner in 2011 up'ed the ante by covering his entire garden with shade clothe and misters for cooling. Not to mention making 20 cubic feet of soil (can't use the native blow sand)

These fucking tomatoes will cost me about $20 each by the time I do my upgrades this winter. But I need to reclaim my title.

grapeman

Veteran
A beefsteak contest in the desert. That takes some doing. A steady drip and shade or what? Them big ones crack and scold so easily.
The heirlooms are the way to go. Too expensive at the store, you have to grow them. Beefsteaks, I could buy cheap enough, if I wanted to. Go with the purples and the blacks. Each one has just a little flavor variation making each bite an adventure.

Yes difficult - that's what makes it a contest. I was trying for a repeat 1st place but the winner in 2011 up'ed the ante by covering his entire garden with shade clothe and misters for cooling. Not to mention making 20 cubic feet of soil (can't use the native blow sand)

These fucking tomatoes will cost me about $20 each by the time I do my upgrades this winter. But I need to reclaim my title.

h.h.

Veteran

Such a wild and crazy place.Picked my share of tomatoes there. We'd have pepper eating contests at break, though it seemed my brother and I were the only real contestants. Them guys used to get a kick out of a weto eating hot peppers.

rrog

Veteran
A "weto" is what? A white guy? I get that a lot when I travel and order hot Indian or Thai food. Being a non-ethnic, they assume I can't take the heat and food often doesn't come out as hot as I like.

DARC MIND

Veteran
haha guero or weto lol
is a white man trying to fit in or a light skin latin that looks more like a white guy..
care to share a image of these title holding maters???
20 bones a mater is beyond foolishly absurd

s.cali here

simple proper mulching,drip and compost

brandy whine

& these arnt your regular commercial watery chemical concoction of n, p, k; with the help of a seed..

grow maters with friends like borage,yarrow,basil,chamomile ect and you wont get too much cracking..to none at all

h.h.

Veteran
A "weto" is what? A white guy? I get that a lot when I travel and order hot Indian or Thai food. Being a non-ethnic, they assume I can't take the heat and food often doesn't come out as hot as I like.
Hey, this threads about molasses. LOL
"Wato" is the Americanized version. I think the word is actually "guero" meaning a light skinned Hispanic, where "wato" is a broken English version of "whitey". While it is derogatory to call a Mexican wato, it's a nickname, parents will give their offspring. It is used as both a derogatory term as well one of affection. If it's proceeded by the word "pinche", it's usually derogatory.

h.h.

Veteran
haha guero or weto lol
is a white man trying to fit in or a light skin latin that looks more like a white guy..
care to share a image of these title holding maters???
20 bones a mater is beyond foolishly absurd

s.cali here

simple proper mulching,drip and compost

brandy whine

& these arnt your regular commercial watery chemical concoction of n, p, k; with the help of a seed..

grow maters with friends like borage,yarrow,basil,chamomile ect and you wont get too much cracking..to none at all
Beautiful. Throw those straight in the pan with a couple whole peppers, some whole cloves of garlic, some extra virgin, and a little sea salt. Chop it up with your turner as they roast. You don't lose any flavor that way.
Along with use of fertilizers, the heat as well as sporadic watering will cause tomatoes to crack. Smaller tomatoes are better at taking the heat. Most tomatoes won't set over 90*
They count on the early season and the area isn't known for good tomatoes.At least it wasn't in the past when they sold mostly to Heinz.
I can well understand the methods being used. Shade is a must. Water retentive soil is a must. The contest is a challenge.
I do find shade cloth a little restrictive. Window screen will let in more light as well as air. It holds the mist and along with the air movement it can take out a lot of heat. You can also find commercial shade screen online made up fancy.
for that purpose.

DARC MIND

Veteran
Smaller tomatoes are better at taking the heat. Most tomatoes won't set over 90*
i dislike small tomatoes & the heat hear gets beyond 90, daily, in summer
that happens tobe when my maters really get going..
witch are brandywine,beefsteak,black krim,orange russian,speckled roman,mexican,carbons to a name a few

again the key in my garden,is companion planting..borage can turn to a huge plant,lambQ & sawthistle does the same
all edible and beneficial while proving natural shade for the maters & peppers they help grow next too..
the living groundcovers retain moister,proper irrigation & mulching does the rest
pruning or giving haircuts to companions going to seed or getting to big; provides your mulch while cycling fertility..leaving ther roots the huge deep diverse rhizosphere stays intact; along with the mulching and living ground covers you begin to build soil instead of mining it & forcing ones self..

with no bald spots or the classic bare dessert appearance of commercial farm soil, the thick diverse plots all help make a nice habitat for more organisms to breed & expand or increase the fertility chain along with water.. a pretty important compound to life

IMO harness the sun to your fullest, while aiming to learn as much on cycling the rewards naturally.
my highest producers,giving deuce pound maters wernt really trellisd

let to go like melons in the shade of a diverse thick groundcover, witch actually worked as a dope natural trellis..

the contest seems to challenge people to do foolish things if ther playing themselves $20 a mater for rep,let alone water & most likely time/money consuming growing practices

grapeman

Veteran
the contest seems to challenge people to do foolish things if ther playing themselves $20 a mater for rep,let alone water & most likely time/money consuming growing practices

Yes, guilty of absurdity. The competition is held at the local cigar shop with all the swinging dicks as well as any customer that walks thru the door as judges. It's like a football game in Michigan Stadium.... all eyes are upon you.

If I amortize my new up front expenses over 10 years (new grow area, new irrigation system, new planter boxes and a misting system), I can get that 'mater cost down and bring home the gold too !!!!

Can't let a backyard Gardner beat a professional farmer.

LOL

h.h.

Veteran
Yes, guilty of absurdity. The competition is held at the local cigar shop with all the swinging dicks as well as any customer that walks thru the door as judges. It's like a football game in Michigan Stadium.... all eyes are upon you.

If I amortize my new up front expenses over 10 years (new grow area, new irrigation system, new planter boxes and a misting system), I can get that 'mater cost down and bring home the gold too !!!!

Can't let a backyard Gardner beat a professional farmer.

LOL
I gotta ask...Have your summer days been consistently over 90*? How about your nights? LOL
It's hard for people to comprehend what a week of 110 -120* will do to a plant or how pollen just shrivels up.
Shade and misters do take away from the competition though.It becomes more of who can outspend who.

grapeman

Veteran
I gotta ask...Have your summer days been consistently over 90*? How about your nights? LOL
It's hard for people to comprehend what a week of 110 -120* will do to a plant or how pollen just shrivels up.
Shade and misters do take away from the competition though.It becomes more of who can outspend who.

Well it's the nights that do us in. Once our night temps stop dropping below @ 68 degrees, we stop making fruit. Gotta make your garden in an area that gets morning & early pm sun only. Otherwise once the temps do reach 105+, it's all over.

We can easily have consistent daytime temps over 90 from March on.... depending on the year.

h.h.

Veteran
AC is used around here. Some people do have money to throw. I've used a swamp cooler. Didn't feel right using the power. Set up right, screen, with the misters, and with no shortage of wind, will work like a swamp. Where again, shade cloth can be too restrictive, blocking the breeze. Screen, backed up with fencing, will temper the wind, and temper the heat. Mist it and plant basil around it for the water run off. If using canal water, use a little DC solar pump along with an analog timer for the misters. Impress your global warming friends.

grapeman

Veteran
AC is used around here. Some people do have money to throw. I've used a swamp cooler. Didn't feel right using the power. Set up right, screen, with the misters, and with no shortage of wind, will work like a swamp. Where again, shade cloth can be too restrictive, blocking the breeze. Screen, backed up with fencing, will temper the wind, and temper the heat. Mist it and plant basil around it for the water run off. If using canal water, use a little DC solar pump along with an analog timer for the misters. Impress your global warming friends.

Good idea but I don't have any friends. Certainly no global warming friends anyway.

GrowersUnite

I picked up some Grandma's today. I love this stuff. 3 teaspoons to a gallon with some a cup of worm castings, bat guano, seaweed. (FoxFarms original blend)

The molasses just makes my calyx's swell huge and tons of trichomes. I love what it does to the smell and flavor.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i had a pain in the molasses today. i went to the feed store for some winter cover crop seed and they had the molasses on sale. i got some for ACT and when i got home opened it up and like an idiot stirred it(must have been the hash rips before i left to the store). well 10 minutes later its foaming over the edge of the bucket. lost about 2 cups on the ground. but good thing it was 5 gallons for 15$ vs the 8$ or 9$ for the tiny bottles at the grocery store.

Latest posts

Latest posts