What's new

a Lone Wolf.... in the ATTIC with 4000 watts!

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
oh yeah almost forgot about this... i was out on a random hike today through the woods and I happened to stumble upon a decently large sized papaver somniferum plot... it was pretty ironic because a couple days prior, i was randomly on youtube searching videos on how opium is extracted... they use some special knife to slice it open and let it ooze out that puss... then the puss turns black after about a week and it is collected and used... i actually tripped myself out because I stumbled upon these flowers and i was thinking "are you fucking kidding me?" "is this really happening right now?" "am I really standing in front of a bunch of poppy flowers?" sure enough, I was... i pulled my keys out of my pocket and used some sharp thing i have on my keychain to scrape them open just to make sure they were what I thought they were... low and behold the babies started pussing.... to be honest, i dont know what the fuck to do with them still after watching youtube videos, so I ripped about 5 of the pods off and took them home... i havent reasearched it yet but I think you are supposed to leave the pods on the stem after you slice them open.... oh well.. heres a shot at what I had... sorry its not the best..

picture.php

and another...

picture.php

these are actually some very excellent looking flowers...

i went ahead and ordered some "Hens and Chicks" off of ebay for a couple bucks... mm mmm mmm

Unfortunately those are Oriental Poppies (Papaver orientale) that you found and are NOT active. You can tell by the hairy stems. Papaver somniferum have smooth stems, while Oriental Poppies have hairy stems as seen in your pics.

Good luck with the Hens & Chicks. They are active, but a pita to milk because of the chicks surrounding the main pod.

Lone Wolf

Veteran
So I got the AC installed... I built a box around the exhaust part of the HUMOUNGOUS AC unit and built one of those square box fans into the "AC-EXHAUST-BOX".... it is running SMOOOOTH... keeping the attic at a low 82 degrees, and keeping my box as cold as I want it, WITH the lights on... well Ive only tested 3 of the 4 lights all on at once, but its having no problem keeping the room chilled, so I am not worried about any temp fluctuations with the 4th light on.... this AC is badass, and a big THANK YOU to "hoosierdaddy" and to everyone who took part in contributing to his thread about AC Boxes... I always had a general idea on how to do this, but HOOSIERDADDY's thread gave me that extra push to actually get me building!....

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Temp inside the attic- this is the air that the AC takes in and chills...
picture.php

With 3 of the 4 lights turned on, I was EASILY able to keep the room cooled at 68- I had it down to 61 but the compressor kept kicking on and staying on (not like its a bad thing)...but what is REALLY great is that when I put the AC to 75, the compressor would probably kick on 3 times an hour, so like once every 20 minutes or so...

picture.php

now its time to start stuffing it with plants! ill be back with pictures later.... PEACE!

LW

Lone Wolf

Veteran
nice DIY LW, make sure to tape over that display!

good point, thanks...

I think im going to get a piece of black felt and put one piece of duct tape on the top end to keep it covering the digital numbers... the one piece of tape will allow me to lift it up to check out and see whats up every now and then..

:thank you:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
watch out,those units dont reset themselves after a power surge or blackout,make sure to check it on occasion..

Lone Wolf

Veteran
watch out,those units dont reset themselves after a power surge or blackout,make sure to check it on occasion..

yes it has crossed my mind... i have it set to to fit my schedule quite well - there is no way that a day will go by where my wife, nor myself will not be checking on this, unleash some freak event comes up that prevents us from doing so...

i wish it had a feature that allowed me to turn the temperature down when the lights are on, and up when the lights are off...

also, I have a fire extinguisher right at the entrance of the attic, so if shit goes down, HOPEFULLY I can take care of it...

also, I have been wondering if there is a fire alarm on the market that has some sort of remote alerting device, say for example there is a fire in the attic, and I am 3 levels below it and would like to hear the alarm on my level. If I were to just stick a fire alarm up in the attic, I would not be able to hear it at ground level, which is not cool to me. Anyone ever hear of such a thing? I was trying to search ebay and google but I cannot think of any KEY terms to search...

ill be getting some plant pix up soon

420Gurl

oh yeah almost forgot about this... i was out on a random hike today through the woods and I happened to stumble upon a decently large sized papaver somniferum plot... it was pretty ironic because a couple days prior, i was randomly on youtube searching videos on how opium is extracted... they use some special knife to slice it open and let it ooze out that puss... then the puss turns black after about a week and it is collected and used... i actually tripped myself out because I stumbled upon these flowers and i was thinking "are you fucking kidding me?" "is this really happening right now?" "am I really standing in front of a bunch of poppy flowers?" sure enough, I was... i pulled my keys out of my pocket and used some sharp thing i have on my keychain to scrape them open just to make sure they were what I thought they were... low and behold the babies started pussing.... to be honest, i dont know what the fuck to do with them still after watching youtube videos, so I ripped about 5 of the pods off and took them home... i havent reasearched it yet but I think you are supposed to leave the pods on the stem after you slice them open.... oh well.. heres a shot at what I had... sorry its not the best..

picture.php

and another...

picture.php

these are actually some very excellent looking flowers...

i went ahead and ordered some "Hens and Chicks" off of ebay for a couple bucks... mm mmm mmm

Very interesting.. I was born in Kamchatka Russia and some of my friends were growing these... these are Uzbeki poppy and have to be crushed and dried then scraped to smoke.. ;) You take a razor and scrape the smashed and dried pod like paper thin.. Then you can smoke.. My friends in Russia would harvest kilos of this and smash and dry and sell for many rubles (dollars).. They would smuggle them to Kyrgyzstan! Kinda crazy.. pretty unique find.. makes me miss home in a weird way.. Good luck with those and be careful... :) Nastrovia!!..yep..

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
Awesome AC system man, I'm loving it. I bet you had lots of fun making it too.

dtfsux

i wish it had a feature that allowed me to turn the temperature down when the lights are on, and up when the lights are off...

It may be a little late at this point but FYI, LG units can be controlled by a relay/contactor. They will power on after loosing power. So you can use an environmental controller or possibly a normal house T-stat to control

Lone Wolf

Veteran
gonz, unknownprophet,lap, dtf, thanks for stopping by - i sent you all some rep messages...

happy fathers day to all you fathers out there

DenseBuds

Hey man... fantastic setup you've got for yourself there... had a few thoughts, questions:

- You mention that you have your setup so that you could take it totally down in a few minutes/hours?? Could you elaborate a bit here? I just don't see how that'd be possible. The # of plants alone seem like they'd be impossible to get rid of in less than a full day.

- Do you have any recommended reading for the electrical work? I feel pretty confident in connecting outlets/lighting fixtures but adding a circuit to my breaker box is a different thing. I know that unlike attaching a fixture, the incoming line to a breaker box is always hot, so you have to be extra careful. It seems as simple as plugging in a new breaker in an open spot, running some 10/3 to the spot where you want your outlet(s)? I imagine it would be beneficial to have it in some sort of conduit also instead of just running the wire through your attic. I've got a lot of reading to do I know, but I'd appreciate any insight you have from your project.

- How the heck do you water up there?? I imagine you've fed some sort of lines from down below so you can pump into the attic? I grow in a bedroom and carrying buckets of water is NO FUN, so I can't imagine you're lifting them into and out of your attic.

EDIT: Just read up on the local requirements here. It seems that they require an inspection for adding a circuit. This means I'd need to completely move everything out of the bedroom I'm in. I think I'll have to put this off till next year so I can build up enough to stop growing for a month or two.

Nice job,
DB

dtfsux

Hey man... fantastic setup you've got for yourself there... had a few thoughts, questions:

- You mention that you have your setup so that you could take it totally down in a few minutes/hours?? Could you elaborate a bit here? I just don't see how that'd be possible. The # of plants alone seem like they'd be impossible to get rid of in less than a full day.

- Do you have any recommended reading for the electrical work? I feel pretty confident in connecting outlets/lighting fixtures but adding a circuit to my breaker box is a different thing. I know that unlike attaching a fixture, the incoming line to a breaker box is always hot, so you have to be extra careful. It seems as simple as plugging in a new breaker in an open spot, running some 10/3 to the spot where you want your outlet(s)? I imagine it would be beneficial to have it in some sort of conduit also instead of just running the wire through your attic. I've got a lot of reading to do I know, but I'd appreciate any insight you have from your project.

- How the heck do you water up there?? I imagine you've fed some sort of lines from down below so you can pump into the attic? I grow in a bedroom and carrying buckets of water is NO FUN, so I can't imagine you're lifting them into and out of your attic.

EDIT: Just read up on the local requirements here. It seems that they require an inspection for adding a circuit. This means I'd need to completely move everything out of the bedroom I'm in. I think I'll have to put this off till next year so I can build up enough to stop growing for a month or two.

Nice job,
DB

Yes, it is as simple as popping in a DP breaker, and running some 10/2 or 10/3. In a residence you do not need conduit. Furthermore if using ROMEX, do NOT use conduit. ROMEX can not be run in large runs of conduit.

I have set up ops in commercial locations and ran 1000's of feet of Romex, w/o issue. No it was not to code but we never had an issue.

Typically you do not pull a permit for the electric being run to your illegal grow op.....