What's new

A little blumat confusion

Some Info....Long Post

Some Info....Long Post

I need to preface this by saying this is a looooong post...fair warning. In my defense though, I could write a damn novel with everything I've learned. These are just the cliff notes.

Ok, upon the request of at least one member to share my thoughts and experiences thus far with blumats...I thought it would be nice for those who are curious (and like to read) to post some info and thoughts I have so far:

First, a little background of my growing history. I haven't been at this for too long, only a couple years. On top of that I only grow a couple times a year. So in doing the math, you can figure out that this is my fifth grow. Point being is I don't consider myself too experienced and by no means an expert. I grow in a tent, and all of my previous grows have been hand watered. Which as I'm sure some of you know, can be a pain: Mix your fertigation solution, take the plants out, water them, put them back in, etc. At this point (5weeks) I would be spending at least 1.5 hours in my grow room every night. By the end...a solid 2hrs in there. Well having a family, that's not too cool. Get home from work, disappear for a couple hours, eat dinner go to bed. All the while the kids wondering where daddy is. Not very stealth. Not to mention the inconsistency for the plants caused by this method. I have read about very successful grows done by handwatering, but they were always watered multiple times a day. I can only afford one a day. I would always end up with one or two plants with phantom problems that were very difficult to diagnose, treat, and try to get to recover...if it ever did at all. Maybe I'm not that great at handwatering with my limited experience, but at this point...it absolutely does not matter as I will NEVER be going back.

Now on to this grow. Keep in mind this my first grow with any drip system, a res, and smart pots. With that being said, I pretty much had to trash any prior knowledge and experience I had with coco moisture levels. The only thing that has stayed static in this grow are all but one of the current strains, brand of coco, and nutes. I even added an air cooled hood to this, and bumped my flower light from a 400w to a 600w (still use a 400 for veg).

First, I can't stress enough how easy this grow has been. Not only easy, but efficient as well. I have ZERO waste of water and nutes. No runoff, no tossing out extra water I don't use...nothing is going to waste. I am growing some Indys and Sativas. Like I said above, I normally have an issue with at least one of my plants, and can usually count on at least one of the Sativas being one of the problem plants. I can also count on them to rear it's ugly problematic head by now. Well I'm looking, and I haven't found any issues so far. This is a completely problem free grow right now...which is unheard of for me. With that being said, we all know the different requirements of Sats and Indys. Well blumats help with that. The Sats I grow are picky little motherfuckers. So for them to be getting only what they need is stellar. The Indys get what they need to...all at different rates. But it's ok, blumats support them unlike any automated system I've seen others use. Normally when I read/observe a grower that has Indys and Sats, they need two separate drip systems for the different requirements. If they don't have two systems, then they have to supplement something somewhere. Not so here...one system covers them both. I do have canopy issues with height, but that's no fault of the blumats or pots I'm using...that one is allll me :).

I do have to admit I have a small plant with what looks like a MG def. However...this is my fault and know it, and I knew it would happen. It was a late germ'd seed and was waaaayyy too small to put in a 2g pot. But I did it anyway because I wanted to learn what to do, see if I could diagnose and treat it properly. If I lost it, I didn't care as it would have left me with 5-7 plants that would have no problem getting me through my next grow (this is all personal btw). Now I have to say this was the easiest fix I've ever done. I recognized the issue, applied a fix I had learned, and not only did it recover, but it actually healed some of the damage done from the def. This NEVER happens to me. Normally if I can fix a def, the damage stays and new growth is great. But my plant actually healed some of the damage. The rest of the plants...a picture of perfection.

On to some good points: Blumats. Blumats are nothing short of THE SHIT! The constant moisture and nute level achieved by these is phenomenal. They only get what they need, and don't get anything they don't. My coco tells the drippers when to drip, as opposed to a pump on a timer that waters your plants no matter their condition. This could lead to over/under watering, stacking nutes, etc.... A whole list of issues that I can think of, and I'm not even THAT experienced. I don't even need to mention the time saved by not handwatering. Actually, ya I do. I have not spent more than a half hour in my grow room...20 min of that was spent oogling over my plants. Normally I'm in there about 15 min...10 of which is still spent oogling over my plants and ACTUALLY ENJOYING MY GARDEN!!!! Kids don't wonder where I am, they don't even notice I'm not around. My wife absolutely loves it. These last two points may not pertain to everyone, but might to some. My nightly regimen goes like this: check the PH of the res, adjust if necessary..takes 2 min. Fucking done. That's it. Every Sunday morning I clean my res, which is almost empty by then. That takes 15 min to clean, wipe down, re fill, add nutes, balance, bleed the lines out to eliminate possible bubbles in the lines. A fucking monkey could do this, he just wouldn't enjoy as much as I do ;). My plants are so much more robust and stronger then they have been before. I can't imagine not using blumats.

I know this is a blumat thread, but I need to include a couple points about smart pots here. These things are crazy cool. If you haven't used them yet...you need to. My root structure in these is insane. So much lateral branching is going on that combined with blumats, it really is the most efficient grow I've done so far....nothing is wasted or just sitting in the medium. If it were...I would be experiencing some lockouts I'm sure. I don't want to spend too much time on them, so if anyone has comments or questions regarding smart pots, just hit me up outside of this thread.

So where are we? Oh ya...blumats. I have a 10g res that is now getting filled with 6g. Even then I'm doubting the 6g's ability to make it through the week. It's looking low already and I might have to fill early. I can also say that the water loss is NOT from evaporation as my EC has been very consistent. If water was evaporating, then my EC would be climbing and I'd have to babysit my PH. Well it's not, and I don't. On Sunday I leveled my EC out at 1.33. As of this morning (Wed) it's at...1.39. Last night was the only time I had to balance the PH. Even then I didn't have to, but I wanted to. My initial PH balance was 5.79 on Sun, last night it was 5.85. I brought it down to 5.8 even for the hell of it. I could easily let it go without it hitting 6.0. I'll let it run the rest of the week w/out balancing it. My guess is it ends up at 5.9. Still don't have to babysit shit, my grow is officially running itself. With the exception of some mild defoliating, it's hands off.

Some stats of my grow:
Number of Plants: 8
Coco: Botanicare Readygro Moisture Formula
Nutes: Botanicare PBP, Cal/Mag+, Silica Blast, some LK.
Res: 10g...using 6g of that, probably won't make it seven days anymore.
Temps 77 night/79 day
RH 55% solid

Smart Pots, DripClean, 400W veg/600W flower, SS2 air cooled hood, 3'x4'x7' tent.

If you made it through this whole post, I commend you. I know it's long. But I didn't want to include this info w/out giving some background of myself so the reader knows where I'm coming from and so everyone understands I'm not a pro and how easy this can be.

I also need it to be known that I didn't do this all on my own. Slowandeasy has been helping and mentoring me through this whole thing and assisting in my learning curve via ICmag. If anyone is fortunate enough to have him help, consider yourself real fucking lucky. Dude knows his shit and is a wealth of knowledge and experience. Granted,,,,he and I have some differences in our setup, but he got me up and going with basics and has continued to support and cheer me on.

Thank you to those who took the time to read this uber long diatribe. I hope it helps at least one person out. Any questions out there, I will happily assist to the best of my ability.

I have a need to pay it forward.
Thank you readers.
Most of all...thank you Slowandeasy for your continued support and assistance.

GT

C

Cheeb

D2G, that yellow top res lasts about a week feeding 21 girls under 1800w. Mid-flower it may require a fill-up sooner.

I couldn't tell you precisely about the 55 gal drums. Just getting that one rolling. I filled it up 9 days ago to 35 Gallons and its around 7.5 Gallons today - thats feeding 16 girls under 2000w

- -

GT, haha - that was a long read. Congrats. I think I definitely need to drop down the coin on some smart pots.

Awesome to here how the community has bettered your garden, but more so your LIFE! If it wasn't without these forums and the generous contributions of others I'm sure my life would be on a much different path. The knowledge I've gained over the last 10 years starting with OverGrow to today is priceless.

I've went through some stressful as well over the amount of time I've contributed these gardens while not spending as much time with family/friends as I shoud be. With the knowledge gained here I've just recently achieved a sense of "serenity" in the garden. I'm just popping into look now and that always puts a smile on my face. ..and I've got to thank Blumats for a lot of that.

Thanks OG! Thanks ICMAG! & Thanks Sunnydog and/or whomever else responsible for bringing Blumats to the community's eyes!

The secrets out - its a game changing unfair advantage. lol
I'm so looking forward to the day where I have to explain to my kids that we actually used to have to manually water our garden...everytime - both ways.

Never stop growing. :yay:

slowandeasy

Veteran
Thanks GT, that was very nice of you! I am always glad to help anyone out. I have learned many things over the years, some the hard way. I have tried a shit ton of different ways to grow, and they all work if done right. But Blumats are by far the best investment I have every made. Like GT says, It gave me my life back! The plants thrive and there is no other set up that has given me the freedom that Blumats have.

I have 4 different blumat set ups and have hooked a few of my friends up as well. I still have to hand water clones and seedlings. But veg and flower is so friggin easy and perfect...it is almost hard to believe. I harvest every 4-5 weeks, and I could not be happier!

BTW, Cheeb. Smart pots are not expensive dude. 3 bucks a piece and you can re-use them. You can yield so much more out of a way smaller pot. Less medium and more bud. Roots are airpruned and can yield massive amounts in a 1 Gal pot....trust me I know!!!! Try to use a regular 1 gal pot and see how much you get.

C

Cheeb

I know - definitely gotta grab some smart pots. I've used them before on a few moms, but never in an entire grow.

Local spot here wants $4/ea for them. I'd need a minimum of 78 ($312) for my blumat gardens.

I typically veg in 5.5 KORD pots then transplant into 2 gallon pots/bags for flower. Do you transplant up with smart pots? If so I'd then have to get double that amount and grab some smaller 1 gallon ones or so. Just seems like a lot to spend on pots, but I think I'm going to stop being a tight ass and make the switch.

Do you have a technique for unpotting at the end of the grow?
I remember having a hard time getting my moms out of their 3 gallon smartpots. I literally had to rip and peel the thing off as it was literally grown into the smartpot fabric. Its the main reason I like grow bags. I slice them off at the end of the grow with a razor blade and in the trash they go. Messing around with each smartpot exclusively to get it off was not something I wanted to do while trying to get the garden down, trimmed/dryed meanwhile having to re-load the room and dial all of the blumats.

Is there a special technique to unloading the smartpots or am I just a weak ass?

slowandeasy

Veteran
I know - definitely gotta grab some smart pots. I've used them before on a few moms, but never in an entire grow.

Local spot here wants $4/ea for them. I'd need a minimum of 78 ($312) for my blumat gardens.

I typically veg in 5.5 KORD pots then transplant into 2 gallon pots/bags for flower. Do you transplant up with smart pots? If so I'd then have to get double that amount and grab some smaller 1 gallon ones or so. Just seems like a lot to spend on pots, but I think I'm going to stop being a tight ass and make the switch.

Do you have a technique for unpotting at the end of the grow?
I remember having a hard time getting my moms out of their 3 gallon smartpots. I literally had to rip and peel the thing off as it was literally grown into the smartpot fabric. Its the main reason I like grow bags. I slice them off at the end of the grow with a razor blade and in the trash they go. Messing around with each smartpot exclusively to get it off was not something I wanted to do while trying to get the garden down, trimmed/dryed meanwhile having to re-load the room and dial all of the blumats.

Is there a special technique to unloading the smartpots or am I just a weak ass?

Honestly, I do not like transplanting Smart Pots. You are right, it is a pain in the ass. What kinds of yield do you get in your regular 2 gal pots? how long do you veg? Obviously you have a lot of plants, but how big do you let them get? What kind of space are you working with?

I just did an experiment and use 1 Gal Smart Pots, in a small tent. I started off in beer cups, just til well rooted, then into 1 Gal Smart Pots. I use pure Canna Coco, nothing else. I have a 400 watt HPS and yielded 3-4 oz per plant dried, in 1Gal Smart Pots. I used to use 2 gal, but fuck it...I did better with 1 Gal!!!! I did defoliate in flower as well, which I never did before. But I used half the amount of Coco and got really nice yields. I know you have a lot more wattage than my 400 HPS, so you should crush my results.

If you are not growing trees or vegging a long time, honestly dude...you will be amazed at how big your plants will get in just 1 Gal Smart pots. The roots are always trimmed, so they never get root bound. The whole point is to grow much larger plants in smaller containers. I gave a friend a super huge perfect Sativa in a 1 Gal smart pot. He will yield atleast 6 oz from 1 plant in a small tent. It was so big, thats all that would fit.

Check the internet for deals on Smart Pots, if you are buying that many...you should get a deal!

dunkydunk

Honestly, I do not like transplanting Smart Pots.

I haven't used smart pots, they were next on my list. I take it they don't re-use well?

And I'm having trouble finding the sweet spot with the blumat, my mother is either too wet or too dry. I figure I must be over-tweaking the dial.

C

Cheeb

slowandeasy,

I honestly cant accurately answer your question regarding veg times and yield. I've been bouncing around with different projects the last couple of years I dont really keep track. I just TRY to better each grow then the time before. I just veg until things just start to touch (pinching or tying) - then I flip and start bottom stripping and/or de-leafing 1st few weeks of bloom.

I'm going to focus on 9 plants in 2 gallon pots (smart pots next round) under each 1000w of light. Hopefully just a few weeks veg.

Also going to focus on 21 plants 2 gallon bags (smart pots next) under 1800w (3x600w).

I'm all new strains so its too much for me to keep track of all the minor details. I just try to keep it as simple as possible to get me from start to finish consistently. Check my threads in my sig for grow sizes/info. Hopefully keeping the grow threads going will allow me to look back and see what and when I'm doing things as well as final yield, etc.

dunkydunk,

smart pots re-use just great. Its actually getting the root ball out of them easily that I'm concerned about.

Try extending your blumat dripper to the other side of the pot from where the blumat is at. It'll generally keep the pot more consistently moist. I've been playing around with it and seems to be keeping the pot heavier then when I had it setup default. Makes the blumat not as responsive. So far I'm thinking it may be a good thing. Blumat not so picky = generally more overall evenness of pot wetness.

redbudduckfoot

Veteran
guess i'll chime in.
when transplanting smartpots, say a 1 gallon to 5 gallon, you dont have to remove the 1 gallon smarty. just put the whole thing, pot and all, in the 5 gallon. the roots will grow right out of the small pot, into the large one. i have done this for over a year. never had any sign of shock.
remember when the plant had been in the 1 gal fo about ten days? i had dozens if not hundreds of roots sticking out of the fabric. after a few days those root ends die out, and they start growing laterally.
i always hit them w one shot of hygrozyme about 2-4 days before transplant, to turn those dead root ends into food for the plant.
hope this helps everyone.

antheis

Veteran
i don't have that problem with air pots, since they're made of plastic, the roots don't grow into them. they still put out a crazy amount of roots though.

dunkydunk

Turns out my finicky blumat needed to be reset, it must have gotten too dry at some point. I soaked it in water for an hour while I pulled clones and now it's working like a champ.

As and update...things are still rockin' with zero issues: No salt build up, no PH imbalances, lockouts, etc... Starting week 3 of flower soon and it couldn't be easier.

I am still half expecting something to be wrong when I walk into my room, nothing but perfect happy plants though. There's new very healthy growth every day. Keep in mind I am NOT that experienced. I don't have a decade of growing under my belt, and it's this easy.

Just wanted to share.

dunkydunk

Way to go Greentrich, I'm glad things is going smoothly. I find my single Blumat tester to be a little temperamental, but the plant always looks happy. I'm in the midst of building a second room right now, so when I have eighteen plants hooked up to a 40 gal. rez, I'm hoping things run more evenly.

Hmmm...tempermental? How so? I'd like to return all the help and support when I started.

I started with eight, now I'm down to seven, most likely be down to 6 in a week: 2 males out of eight, pulled on out for space, kept one for a daddy.

Left with 6 fems that I will cross 2 of with the one dad.

dunkydunk

I have a 2 gallon bucket set about 10" above my mother plant in 2 gallons of coco. The plant looks happy no matter what happens, but the drip rate on the blumat slows down as the bucket empties, so the coco gets a little dry, but if I open up the blumat, then it will water to runoff, especially if you refill the bucket. I'm just not getting the consistent moisture I'm used to with my previous drip system. Maybe it doesn't matter since, like I said, the plant always looks good. I was thinking that when I get my new room set up and I'm running a bigger rez, the pressure change wouldn't be as great as the rez empties. But I think the physics will still be the same, so maybe this is just an aspect of running Blumats. Dunno. Yet.

slowandeasy

Veteran
I have a 2 gallon bucket set about 10" above my mother plant in 2 gallons of coco. The plant looks happy no matter what happens, but the drip rate on the blumat slows down as the bucket empties, so the coco gets a little dry, but if I open up the blumat, then it will water to runoff, especially if you refill the bucket. I'm just not getting the consistent moisture I'm used to with my previous drip system. Maybe it doesn't matter since, like I said, the plant always looks good. I was thinking that when I get my new room set up and I'm running a bigger rez, the pressure change wouldn't be as great as the rez empties. But I think the physics will still be the same, so maybe this is just an aspect of running Blumats. Dunno. Yet.

Blumats are Gravity fed...so when the the water level gets low your drip rate will slow down. 3 solutions, raise your rez, get a bigger rez, or keep it more full. When there is less water pressure, the drip rate will slow down a ton....fill it back up and it will drip faster. If you keep your Coco damp, things will be fine...if your plants droop at all....it is too dry. Simple fix my friend! Take care.
FWIW...the problem is your 2 gal rez. Raise your bucket and keep it full. Water pressure is key

Last edited:

down2grow

Slow or Cheeb,

Ok, things are finishing up and I'm about to order thee patio kit and extra 3mm driplines. I just need to clarify a few things before I order. I'm going to run 4 veg and 4 flower, two separate res of course. After reading the blumat thread again I will need two thru hull adapters per res. How long is the 8mm hose that comes with the kit? I'm trying to figure out all the extras before I purchase. My list is at least 30 extra ft of 3mm dripline, 3 thru hull adapters, 4 shut off valves & extra 8mm, but unsure of how much.

D2G

slowandeasy

Veteran
Slow or Cheeb,

Ok, things are finishing up and I'm about to order thee patio kit and extra 3mm driplines. I just need to clarify a few things before I order. I'm going to run 4 veg and 4 flower, two separate res of course. After reading the blumat thread again I will need two thru hull adapters per res. How long is the 8mm hose that comes with the kit? I'm trying to figure out all the extras before I purchase. My list is at least 30 extra ft of 3mm dripline, 3 thru hull adapters, 4 shut off valves & extra 8mm, but unsure of how much.

D2G

Why do you need 2 thru hull adapters per res? You only need one per res. You are running only 8 plants total? I do not know your set up, you will have to measure how long of hose you will need...but there are a few ways to hook the Blumats up depending on your set up.

Why do you need so much extra drip line? I am not sure why you are ordering so much extra stuff for 8 plants. Maybe I am missing something. Shed some light on your set up, and I will try to help you out more. Never hurts to have extra stuff, but no need to over complicate things either.

BTW where are you ordering from?

dunkydunk

The deck and patio kit comes with 23' of 8 mm hose. It's that nasty, stiff, black line that always stays curled. 3/8" line can be substituted for convenience, but it's a little over 9mm in diameter so the fit isn't as tight. Since blumats work under gravity pressure, the size discrepancy isn't much of an issue.

The 3 mm tubing is nice and supple like surgical tubing, which is silicone or latex. I like to use this for the 8 mm trunk line as well because it is so easy to lay out, both literally and figuratively.

down2grow

Why do you need 2 thru hull adapters per res? You only need one per res. You are running only 8 plants total? I do not know your set up, you will have to measure how long of hose you will need...but there are a few ways to hook the Blumats up depending on your set up.F

Why do you need so much extra drip line? I am not sure why you are ordering so much extra stuff for 8 plants. Maybe I am missing something. Shed some light on your set up, and I will try to help you out more. Never hurts to have extra stuff, but no need to over complicate things either.

BTW where are you ordering from?

The reason for two thru hull adapters is that I'm following the diagram on post #477 on page 32 to create the loop. Sunny mentions putting a T at the res, so if I only run one thru hull, after my shut off valve I'll use a T. Then run the 8mm hose in a loop. Am I getting that part right? If that's the case I'll only get one extra thru hull adapter and gt two extra T's. My set up is a 10x5 flower room so that's at least 16-20ft of the 8mm. I'm just getting the extra 3mm to use 2-3ft per pot just so I can move them around easier if needed. I'm using 5 gallon smartpots in flower. One blumat per would be ok, right? Sustainable Village seems to have the patio kits for cheaper and I'm getting the extra 3mm hose from Green Acres.

D2G

Latest posts

Latest posts