What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A few things that I've learned about growing in coco with a drip systm DTW

merkaba

Either way I don't think it would matter, it may change the time it takes to equalize the pressure when you initially turn the system on, but after that, all sites should drip the same even if you had 15 on the right and 1 on the left. I built mine out of PVC ala Pico and it's basically a square with 4 drippers on each length and they are by no means evenly spaced - they are appropriately spaced and I have no issues at all.

Thanks, merkaba. I'll add another drip line to the main ring and see how it goes, if I do have issues, which I tend to agree with you that it should even out ok, I can always rebuild the main ring easily enough.

Sounds like a very similar set up to mine, not quite a square, 60x45x60x45 inches with 16 drip feed lines 4mm flexible hose (easier to position than the stiff hosing for when getting down the two channels, on my hands and knees, between the 3 rows of plants), and the main ring is safety rated plastic, LPDE I think its called, res is the Auto Pots Flexi tanks, a 225ltr and a 100ltr. The 100ltr res is mainly used for storing my RO water, and the 225 for the nutrient res.

Thanks for your assistance :tiphat:

merkaba

Something interesting I just noticed, I have a table that is at 2 wks and one at 4wks. The 4wk table gets watered for 2 min. 3 times a day (lights on). The 2nd table keeps having a timer malfunction and basically gets watered for 6 hrs straight while lights are on. I keep thinking I have fixed the problem, but obviously not. However, the 2nd table that is 2wks in is HUGE and so green and lush. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't increase watering times all around. Not to 6hrs per se, but perhaps start them at 2 min on and increase to a watering of 6 times during lights on. Anyone else have thoughts?

Supaseeds

hehehe thats intresting :) when malfunctions turns into a nice experiment, i gues you should try it out and see what happens, if the second one was watered 6 hours straight and made it into nice plant increasign the interval shouldnt hurt it, that way you will see what is optimal, you got your scehdual and the max one all the time, now you try the ones in betwen and see what plants like most :)

thewhitelotus

Veteran
Question for all your drippers out there. Anyone have their pumps stop working when out of town?

Im on the second week of flowering and left town for 3 days... about 2 days in my roommate discovered the drippers stopped functioning and the 2 ladies were incredibly sad. i had him hand water until i got home to see the damage, which was pretty extensive. One was completely toast, whereas the other perked back up a little, but had significant heat stress to it. I removed the majority of the cripsy leaves/branches and put her back into her normal 12/12 routine getting fed 3 times a day. anything else i can do to help with the shock of heat stress then me hacking away the dead stuff?

I realize that this kind of stress in the 2nd and 3rd week of flowering is brutal, but with a little TLC, any chance ill still get a decent yield?

merkaba

I would remove any necrotic tissue and give them a lil dose of Nitrogen and hope for the best. Silica helps with these sort of things, but I am pretty sure it would need to be used PRIOR to the failure vs afterwards. Though it couldn't hurt to throw some in I suppose. Also, invest in some Drip Clean from House & Garden.

merkaba

These are at 5wks in Coco with a layer of Grow Stones on the bottom. The roots where not super developed when they went into flower, and they are still kicking ass. The stalk is about as big as my thumb and that is a 8" square pot ( appox. 1.5gallons). I will probably get about 3 oz off of these ones. Loving the drip!

Attachments

• IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 35
  • SAM 0136
    SAM 0136
    77.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0833.jpg
    IMG_0833.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 35

OG_TGR

I'd be curious to here people watering VOLUME in addition to their intervals.

Are you all going to run-off each and every feed?

For instance.. DTW in 2 Gal smart pots of straight coco. You are feeding how many ounces of solution every X minutes/hours.

One's manifold/pump/size pot/etc obviously has a lot to do with this. Your feeding ~3 times a day or whatever, but how much are they getting per feed.

Has anyone taken their feed lines and captured what your plants are getting per watering interval. Seems like this could be endlessly tweaked, but how does one determine what is ideal if not going to run-off every interval. Going to run-off every interval may be the most fool-proof, but can we see further explosion of growth by dialing to smaller more frequent intervals.

Would be interested in your inputs.

I am running 2g smart pots in 3 gal CAP Ebb & Flow buckets; 60/40 GH Coco/Hydroton mix. Pots are full with ~20-60mm of hydroton on the bottom and on the top. I run 1 minute (~240-245 ml) at each plant at lights on, again for 1 minute 10 minutes later. Then every three hours (twice) for 1 minute until 9 hours, when my final feeding is for 3 minutes, for run off. Am am currently running nutes at about .1 EC (500 ppm) and RO at the final run is ~ .84EC (420 ppm).

Temp is between 25-26°c (76-79°f) and RH stays around 65%.

Total 7min/day x 240/245 = 1680-1715ml/plant/day.

In the future I plan on using an Arduino/Raspberry Pi based irrigation control so that I can accurately achieve and track irrigation "bumps" of <1 minute.

LEDNewbie

Veteran
Been stated many times. Until the pot is full of roots. Then yes coco can be overwatered. Once pots are completely full of roots you could turn your drip system on and let it run the whole light period and plants would grow like a mofo!!! This is of course talking about 2-3 gallon pots

N

noyd666

These are at 5wks in Coco with a layer of Grow Stones on the bottom. The roots where not super developed when they went into flower, and they are still kicking ass. The stalk is about as big as my thumb and that is a 8" square pot ( appox. 1.5gallons). I will probably get about 3 oz off of these ones. Loving the drip!
:biggrin: STUMPS LIKE BONSAI TREES= COOL.

R

Racc00n

how about air-pot? link here

they come in many sizes, are 7,5L best for coco? 5L seems a little too small for me.
i'm going to grow 4x pots in 120x120x200cm / 600w

farmdalefurr

I feel nothing and it feels great
Veteran
^^^^^^^ what LED said

Airpots are like a million dollar sky scraper apartment for fungus gnats and the like

Their no better than any other container

I like grow bags, crazy cheap, reusable and super easy to clean

coxnox

Veteran
Thanks HGO !!
i don't think i have read it here so i will just add, when you're still in the wet/dry cycle, for those who don't know when to water again, you can weight your pot just after watering, when they did loose half their weight you can water again...for those who come from the soil it's a great help as i was waiting to much to water again my ladys and did get a few stress because of that.

and now a few question for those who use the multi feed explained here by HGO, wich coco are you using ? because i see there is a big differance between the brand, canna pro plus, atami, bionova, biobizz look like powder, when u-gro, cogr look much more fiber.
and now the question, the structure of the coco itself should play a role into the feeding time not ? i mean a coco that have a powder structure will take much more time to dry, so it will have an effect on how many watering you gonna do ? or not ?

W

willyweed

thanks for this thread hgo,just what i have been looking for,transplanted from 3 inch rockwool cubes today to about 11litre pots(black builders buckets with big holes drilled out the bottom)
gonna dig em back out and put some clay balls top and bottom i also use a very light fabric mesh at the bottom to stop fallout.drip feed here i come !:)