What's new

A few questions for a Soon-To-Be Grower.

Mr Code

So I am from Florida, and we will be taking a vote for medicinal cannabis here in November.

I see this going through with no problem, and I will be one of the first patients in line to get my card.

With this comes up to 6 legal plants...

I've been doing a LOT of research but I am still missing a few things (I learn best by seeing pictures, so if you have them, dump em!)

1) How long do you veg for? Or better yet, when will you be able to tell when you should put your plant into flower?

2) CFL bulbs, I understand HPS is a lot better, but heat is an issue. What is my best option here, and what yields should I be expecting from ~6 plants?

3) Nutes. Which are best for an RDWC? as this is what I plan to be using.

Thank you for all of your help!

Veg until your plants are at 1/3 to 1/2 your desired height seeing as they will stretch during flower then you can flip em to 12/12. Or if they start showing preflowers throw them into your flowering room. You'd be better off using a HPS vs CFL's for just a few plants unless you can build a lighting system with the recommended wattage for 6 plants using CFL's seeing as they are lower wattage than HPS. You should be able to easily control the temp if problems arise depending on how your grow area is set up. Use liquid nutes for RDWC. Any popular/well reviewed brand will work just fine. Remember that fresh air is key!! What size is your grow area?

lol You're asking for a whole growing guide :D

1) Many growers here veg for one or two weeks. It depends on the strain, sativa plants will be taller compared to indica.

If you start from seeds you can start immediately on 12/12. This is a Dutch growing method used by commercial growers just search for "SpeesCees 12/12 method" on Google.

Personally I see long vegging as a waste of time and energy because your plant will have a lot of branches and fluffy buds, these fluffy buds are mostly bad quality and don't contain a lot of crystals because they didn't receive a lot of light.

You decide when to put the plant into the flower period. This happens as soon the plant receives less light (12h instead of 18h). Even in the flower period she will still grow.

2) CFL bulbs don't produce much lumens as HPS so stick to a HPS bulb for flowering. Use fluorescent bulbs for vegging, these are very cheap and don't use a lot of energy. Make sure you use the correct spectrum and keep their distance very close like 2-5CM. You will notice when your bulbs are too far because your plants will stretch. So if you see this lower your bulbs.

You deal with heat by ventilating your room, the warm air gets sucked out by a fan and new air gets in by an passive intake (holes in the wall) or active intake (by an another fan). The higher the capacity of the fan the easier it's going to be to control your climate. Just an another thing I want to mention don't use those inline fans, they're so loud and very ineffective compared to snail fans. These snail fans are mounted in a wooden isolated box, they're expensive compared to inline fans but they perform MUCH better. Make sure you also use a carbon filter. Make sure you seal your room properly so you'll have no moist, smell or heat leaking. This can affect your entire grow as you won't be able to control your climate easily.

If the grow area is still too hot you can use an air conditioning unit. You will need a split unit with these kind of units the air will stay in the same room. So the unit sucks the air, cools it down and blows it in your room again. So there will be no weed smell outside. If you're going to use an air conditioning unit get a humidifier too. This will crank up the dry air caused by the air conditioning.

No one can tell you how much yield you're going to get with 6 plants because this depends on many factors. The most important factors are the climate and watering/nutes. If you master these properly you'll have nice yields.

3) Just stick to hydro nutes stay away from organic nutes these will start to rot in the water after 24/48 hours. Just keep it simple when it comes to nutes, stick to one brand and stay away from all those so called magical boosters which (according to the manufacturer will increase your yields). These kind of products rarely works and will only increase your pH and fuck up everything.

I wish you the best and good luck!

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fromholland im sorry but i disagree greatly with the long veg time and the 12/12 from seed. Someone who wants to grow for themselves with a 6 plant policy should have a rotation. If he had to grow from seed every time not only does he not know what hes getting but hes going through way more hassle than having a mom and taking clones. As for veg time, have you seen what people do with one plant under one light before? Im thinking you havent, because, you dont only get fluffy buds nor does larf have less trichomes. Thats all incorrect. If you train a plant in veg you can have a serious canopy of only dense material. If 6 plants were my limit i would have a mom or two of something i have verified to be high quality. Take a healthy clone of each and have 2 plants in flower. Always 2 moms, always two in veg and always two in flower. That way you always have medicine coming. Hps is king vs cfl btw. To flower 2 plants under one light and have it be worthwhile youll need about 7-8 weeks of veg or longer. If you are allowed 6 in flower and more in veg then id only veg 4 weeks. As for yield expectation, if you train the plants well and use a scrog you weave the tops into you can expect anywhere from .5-1 gram per watt once youre dialed depending on strain. Good luck

If he had to grow from seed every time not only does he not know what hes getting but hes going through way more hassle than having a mom and taking clones.
Thats not true. With seeds you know exactly what you get: quality and higher yield. You can laugh about this but it is really true. many commercial growers here start to use seeds instead of clones.

He is allowed to have 6 plants. With a mother plant he is able to grow only 5 plants excluding the mom.

As for veg time, have you seen what people do with one plant under one light before? Im thinking you havent, because, you dont only get fluffy buds nor does larf have less trichomes.
Have you seen what people can achieve with 12/12? I guess not. I have tried long vegging too and big plants don't impress me. I have even saw an outdoor plant which was 3.5meter tall. And it had more leaves than buds. The fluffy buds are the buds who didn't get enough light exposure, this happens when there are a lot of side branches.

This is the result of a small veg grow, the grower vegged them for 2 days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sa1IIgmtqY

Results don't lie.

Thats all incorrect. If you train a plant in veg you can have a serious canopy of only dense material. If 6 plants were my limit i would have a mom or two of something i have verified to be high quality.
Yes two mother plants so you're allowed to grow only 4 plants how long you want to veg these? The bigger the plant the more fluffy buds you'll have. I rather have one big high quality bud to smoke than many fluffy buds with low crystals.

To flower 2 plants under one light and have it be worthwhile youll need about 7-8 weeks of veg or longer. If you are allowed 6 in flower and more in veg then id only veg 4 weeks. As for yield expectation, if you train the plants well and use a scrog you weave the tops into you can expect anywhere from .5-1 gram per watt once youre dialed depending on strain. Good luck
7/8 weeks vegging + 8/9 weeks of flowering = 15/17 weeks. With a normal veg period 1/2 weeks or no veg you're able to harvest twice with less energy. It depends what you prefer. This is why I believe long veg periods are a complete waste of time and energy.

For the 12/12 method of SpeesCees you can do it all into one room, an under one bulb. So it saves you on your power bill.

Hps is king vs cfl btw.
Lol, thats what I said too. So there is still something we can agree on :woohoo:

BTW keeping two mother plants for 4 clones which are being taken after 15/17 weeks thats just crazy and a waste of space, energy and time. But thats my opinion you can have yours and I will respect it, beside the world would be just a shithole if anyone just agreed with each other. :biggrin:

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So you think you can germ seeds, 6 of them, flower them immediately or veg them 2 weeks and fill a 1000w light 5x5 area? No, you cant, also seeds are all varied. I test seeds on a regular basis. Theyre always different. When were talking about meds, tried and true wins the race which is why people mother their favorites and take clones. Saying clones are more potent vs seeds makes no sense because everything came from a seed. And saying it takes 15-17 weeks total is true, however you would always have a light coming down or being filled up withing a reasonable time. Its called a perpetual harvest, which is ideal for someone who needs consistent meds.

Just edit your posts instead of double posting! Just kidding :D

Now you're starting to talk about the grow space? You go straight from long veg periods to grow space. You're that type of guy who keeps arguing even if he knows he's wrong.

In that youtube clip I have posted the guy vegged them for 2 days and put them in bloom. You can see the end result in the video. So please cut your crap about the small veg periods.

Like I said before, I prefer high quality buds. I don't want to smoke small fluffy low crystal buds. In my opinion that is a waste of time and energy. Even if your plant would be 5 meters tall it will have more fluffy buds because of the side branches the smaller buds wont get much light. Thats basic, every grower knows that.

Did you ever compare a seed plant to a clone plant? I guess not. Not to mention the roots of a seed plant. There are many other reasons why a seed plant is much better one of them is the yield. Beside the topic starter is still a beginner and yet you recommend him to grow two motherplants for 4 clones lol.

Harvesting every 15-17 weeks and getting a lot of fluffy buds + all the diseases you get with clones is not really efficient. There are tons of reasons why people prefer seeds over clones.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Keeps arguing even if he knows hes wrong? Bro, im just trying to help the guy avoid your bad advice. The grow space plays a huge part. Why in your mind does a long veg mean small larfy buds? Thats plain wrong. Ever heard of lower stem removal? Its one of the most basic techniques in this game. Have u ever compared a seed plant to a clone? Look at my sig bro, i run so many strains from clone and seed. Ive tested seeds for redeyedgenetics, karma genetics, hortilab, greenhouseseeds, barneys farm, big buddha seeds and many more. Ive run all of the popular clone only strains too. Maybe cruise through a thread or two of mine before you treat me like im less than you. I bet you my work crushes yours. ESPECIALLY if you go 12/12 from seed. you obviously dont even understand what a perpetual harvest is if you think my idea would only yield herb every 15-17 weeks. ITS PERPETUAL. Once a 9 week strain comes down you have more ready to flip. Because you had your veg already going.....thanks to the moms you had. Harvest every 8-9 weeks. This is so basic.....youre obviously not someone who has done much work in this field.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
By the way the tunes in that lame ass video were hilarious. Single cola short plants vs long vegged trained plants = laugable. But i dont know what im talking about clearly with results like this...
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Larfy and no crystals eh? Hah

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ever had an egg of knowledge cracked all over you? It just happened....

Seriously just edit your posts. It's annoying when someone keeps spamming. Let me get back to your pictures. They look good, and I hope for you all your harvests will be great and will/have great smokes. No disrespect but for a long veg your buds look pretty small.

The guy who claim to have invented the 12/12 method has posted a lot of info on an another forum. Here are the results of 0 days of vegging:

No veg at all:
double_fun_op_hydrodensa_008sm.jpg

2keervet.jpg

IMG_0223.JPG

dag42geheel.jpg

Source:
http://www.420magazine.com/forums/s...seeds-12-12-hours-7-harvests-year-system.html

Just compare these to your buds, you have vegged them for a long period. This is the proof these pics don't lie, and therefore I have showed you the video on YouTube. This guy didn't even veg them and yet his buds are bigger then yours. And he uses soil if he would use hydro I think they would be bigger. So spare me your bs about long vegging periods because it is a waste of energy and time. You can even harvest more times in a year compared to a long veg.

About what you said about the video. I dont care about the music, hence I watch the videos for the info they provide and not the music. But you always change the subject. About the grower, he is a professional commercial grower from The Netherlands. He has started his own nute and seed line, I guess that says enough about his knowledge. But I guess you know much better because you can judge people from the internet. The guys name is Limbo & Co.

The other guy SpeesCees is also a high respected marijuana grower from the Netherlands. He also has his own nute and seed line and has a lot of knowledge. These guys know what they're talking about.

You just don't want to admit it that there are efficient ways to grow marijuana compared to your method. That is what I call ignorance, you're getting blinded by your pride so you will never ever be able to learn new stuff. Compare it to a small fish in a pond, the fish thinks the pond is the entire planet. Meanwhile the wish doesn't know there is an entire world with other species etc.

Your method isn't wrong but it's not efficient in my opinion. You can pull much more with less energy.

And seriously just edit your post instead of spamming here in order to boost your internet ego by showing of your plants.

mowood3479

Veteran
Im with crooked on this..
Telling a novice grower they should do 12/12 from seed with a 6 plant limit.... Is setting them up to harvest an ounce or two off of 1k..
Op..
Id start in a soil/peat mix
Or mayb coco..
Get an ac.. Florida is hot..
...just copy someone succesfuls room n grow plan..
N adjust as u learn.
U can get some horrible advice on the web.. As evidenced by fromhollands advice.
6 plants limit? Id grow trees (big plants) on a perpetual rotation..
Harvest once a month..
Thats what id do anyway

mowood3479

Veteran
And btw.. From holland.. Ur "evidence" of no veg time grows doesnt even make sense..
How many plants r in each on of those trays..
More than 6 id presume..
Stop giving out bs advice..

mowood3479

Veteran
Looks like 36 or more per tray..
Only way to grow sog is without plant limits..
But with a 6 plant limit it makes zero sense.
None at all.. It is the absolute worst idea for a 6 plant limit grow.
Wtf is he gonna do? Grow a 1sqf tray.. N waste the rest of the light?
Get real bud, u got called out.
Ur argument is weak sauce

monsoon

Read Mr. Code, read. Find a grow that mirrors what you want to do and emulate it.

Don't use CFL. If you do, don't look at the HID grows and think you'll yield anywhere near that amount. You won't. Set yourself up right the first time. Otherwise you will waste time/money and be disappointed that you can't span the gap between harvests.

Veg times are dependent on how large you want to finish and what light you are using. Things will go slower with CFL. When to flip depends on the above as well as if you are growing reg seeds, fem seeds, or clones. I would do fem seeds or clones to ensure you don't grow 2 months worth of males or lose most of your count.

RDWC will be a waste of time with CFL. I know some folks do it in Tupperware tubs with tiny plants...but that means tiny yields as well. IMO, with all of the fucking around and pH monitoring/having to have a CHILLER (mandatory in FL) and having to deal with both keeping a room cool AND the water cool...it's gonna be a Hell of a learning curve right off the bat. Not saying you can't pull it off...but >I< wouldn't attempt such a thing on my first grow unless I had about 6 months of stash built up.

My advice:

Focus on your light and your temps FIRST. Head to hydro LATER. Get some coco...run it drain to waste....or some good soil with 30% added perlite. Don't spend a load of cash setting up a DWC and buying the pen/chiller/system...just do some containers/get it all up and running FIRST. Get some nug iin the jar...find some consistency/get the feel for your space..THEN branch out larger/into other growing methods.

good luck

Yet again is the edit button that well hidden? You dont even know anything about the 12/12 method yet you claim it to be BS. Go do a research and comeback. It's easy to judge something you never have experienced. That is one plant, it will be one big bud.

Here is an another example;
med_gallery_4254_240_167327.jpg

I rather have six of these within 8-11 weeks than wait for 17 weeks and smoke crap weed. The pics he showed are ofcourse pics of the best buds which are always the main buds, but what about the rest (fluffy buds). It's all up to the topic starter to decide not us. He is the one who needs to decide if to use a long veg period or a short one. We can say whatever we want we won't agree with each other I guess lol.

There are many growing reports on the 12/12 method and its gaining a lot of popularity among growers. Here is an another example from an another board:

Picture_008_Desktop_Resolution_13.jpg

Picture_006_Desktop_Resolution_16.jpg

Source: http://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?40033-12-12-from-seed-what-yield-to-expect

Just compare these to Crooked8 long vegged buds, you see the no vegged plants have much bigger buds. If you want to waste energy sure go ahead and spend weeks on vegging. My arguments ain't weak, I have posted the results of no veg at all. It is what you see it is no BS like you claim. And with this method you can harvest even more compared to your long veg period. Like I said before do a research before you judge it.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Why don't you post your plants new Holland? I suspect that you are praising someone else's grow that you have not done successfully yourself.

I agree with c8 and monsoon. But I would use one of the plants going into flower as the mother. Just root it before you flower.

Ichabod, this topic is not about my plants or how I grow just stick to the topic and don't try to get too personal with me or throw me a personal insult, that's simply childish. Please come with an argument saying simply I don't agree with you doesn't contribute anything at all to this discussion. You guys always try to find an another subject if you cant come up with a decent argument. As you can see the 12/12 method can be used efficient it's not some BS I'm making up. You guys can compare them to Crooked8's long veg.

I don't force anyone to use this method, you can do whatever you want or grow how ever you want but this is a public board and I can express my opinion and experiences here.

Just because you have been vegging for a longtime and probably just saw it's a waste of energy doesn't mean you need to be pissed off. There are a lot of people who have switched to the 12/12 method. Don't get me wrong bro, I did not say its wrong to veg for a long period all I said is it isn't efficient in my opinion.

Just give it a try and you will see the difference.

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Read op. Read .. Rdwc equals recirculating death with out cause.
Cfl's are not going to produce enough medicine.
6 plants and heat are your 2 obstacles.
Imhe you will want to do as icobod suggest. Take cuts at flip.

Good luck