What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Complete Guide to Topping, Training and Pruning

GracieDeming

I like this site.

I use wooden clothes pins to hold down the weed. Sometimes I will put a little twisty-tie around the branch and hook the pin to it. The weight of the pin brings down the limb/branch/twig whatever. And you can add more pins for extra weight.

300WLED30x30x60

Hi Barletta, thanks for dropping by Bro :D

I agree, it doesn't matter what technique you use if you end up with the same result. That's why I pointed out in my guides that there are many ways of going about it. Everybody has their own style and that's good because then we also learn more.

I agree with moses224, generally you should avoid topping plants in flowering. Try bending the branches over a scrog net instead, that works really well. If you have no choice and the plant is really heavy to begin with, topping a few shoots in early flowering won't really matter that much. It all depends on the shape and size of the plant. Here is an example of a plant that I let go wild as I was away for weeks at the time during the grow. I had to tilt the branches over the scrog net as they were getting very heavy. Perhaps not the best example of a well trained plant but it proves a point.

Thanks ! Excellent info.:tiphat: I know this thread is years old !

What are the two red things on the left of the tent ?

How did you water the plants when away ? Can you recommend an automatic watering system ?

Thanks

Kodiak

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Thanks guys. I'm glad you liked the guide :smoke:

The two red things on the left side of the pic are screwdrivers.

I cannot recall why I placed them there, but I doubt it was anything important. I might have placed them there to keep the curtain from falling into the cabinet.. or something.

That's a 21 gallon / 80L pot, so I didn't have to water the plant while I was away.

I didn't use any type of automatic watering system.

Building one shouldn't be too difficult though.

You can use simple mechanical timers or if you want to go high tech, something like an Arduino or Raspberry Pi controller.

You can add humidity sensors and stuff like that.

Personally, I would go with the more high tech version, as I like to build stuff, but I'm sure there are simiar pre-build setups that are also quite cheap.

Link 1

Link 2

effit.legro

pdf download

pdf download

hey there, the links are not working.
can somebody maybe put up a new link for the download of both of the pdf?
the guide to topping and the growing guide...

thx a lot

mliy420

Hey Kodiak is there a way to speak with you i know about the Bible:Growing Elite Marijuana and there are some of same Pictures did you work together on it or did you get your knowledge from this Bible

At least im Glad you share the knowledge with the World <3

Greetings Babygrower MLIY420

Darin Rauth

Good to hear that you found it helpful, I always try to make the text as comprehensive and linear as possible.

Including a lot of pictures is always a good idea as they speak for themselves and they also make the guide a bit more entertaining.

Good idea to use the nail clipper moses224, probably makes FIM topping a whole lot easier.

Go for it Equilibrium, I am sure that you will find that training adds a whole new aspect to growing, which makes vegging a whole lot more interesting and best deal ytcockpit of youtube video. In the process you will veg them for a longer period of time which means that the plants are strong when they go into flowering and you'll end up with a harvest that you can be really happy with.

The grow will take a bit longer to finish but once all those buds start packing on weight, you'll know where that extra time went.

Happy Growing :smoke:

Well done. Helping the idea with details and finally along with photos renders it easy to understand (and picture). Great infos for a lot of farmers.

Vapeitall

Very good read.
It is amazing what can be done by training these girls. If you can double your branching you can expect similar results from your yeild.

Splatoid

Thanks much for this info. Very informative. Actually I ran into this doing a Google search and this thread is what prompted me to join this great forum.
So thanks for that also...