What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Cannabis Growing Guide - All that you need to know to get started

Kodiak

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Thanks for the input. Like I said in the beginning of the guide, I will only deal with growing in soil because that is what I know. That is also the reason why the guide is posted in the indoors - soil section. Its main purpose is to provide general growing information for people who are starting out. Usually that means growing in soil. Apart from factual errors that I have since corrected, no one has had any real complaints about the content so far.

I took your advice regarding the harvesting/drying/curing section and made the necessary changes as well as some of the other changes that you suggested.

I have tried to keep the guide simple and to the point in order to avoid confusion. Sometimes less is more. In most sections of the guide, the text is as compact as it can be made. I tried to promote creative thinking throughout the guide, because there is always more to learn.

Perhaps I will write a book someday but the guide is far from perfect. I do appreciate the vote of confidence though. The guide on topping and training is much cleaner, so I'm constantly trying to improve on this one as well.

The fact is that although growing good weed is quite easy, one still has to become familiar with new things like nutrients, and what I have presented in my guide are the bare essentials. This is all part of learning something new. Perhaps the guide reflects my own frame of mind but I'm sure that the readers would also like to give their plants the best possible growing conditions from the start.

It's only fair to them that I provide them with all the necessary information, so that they can take what they need and apply it to their own grows.

The current version of the guide is already the fifth revision, so you can understand that I'm constantly working on improving on it.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
That was a great read Kodiak

That was a great read Kodiak

Really well done love the harvest part as this is the part ppl fuck up on all the time lol peace out Headband707:thank you:

endu11

Thank you sir . I enjoyed the read and its very helpful indeed. Especially for us new growers. + rep from me

Kodiak

Mad Scientist
Veteran
You're Welcome. I tried my best to include everything that you might want to know but feel free to ask my any questions if something springs to mind.

chaz

hello kodiak i had just read your work.wow.thats great stuff for the "newbie"like myself,whom has already learned the fundamentals of soil growing.such as ph,temp,light intensity,and so on.this was like a helping hand with the bonus of some interesting facts.it was perfect for me because you didnt get into certain things that people really should learn before spending hard earned cash and time before attempting.thank you sooo much.

Danks2005

Great guide kodak. Though I wouldn't consider myself a newbe, i am by no means a guru. I have always veged 24/0 just for simplicity and no timer needed. Though I am thinking about changing this. I hear a lot of arguments saying that 24 hours gives you a little more growth, getting you into the flower room a little faster.

Well I am also a vegetable gardener, and spend a lot(too much) time in my garden. Lately I have observed all my plants but mainly the tomatoes, adding growth over night. I go outside and smoke a joint while inspecting all my plants for pests and whatnot, everynight, and I can clearly see new growth in the morning. I been thinking about puting a camera on a solid tristand to see if i can't prove it, but my stoner ass prolly wont get to it. I already, have a large vegie garden, indoor garden, wife, kid, just to much going on to experiment like I want to.

Kodiak

Mad Scientist
Veteran
I'm glad that you liked it.

24/0 is fine but so is 20/4 or even 18/6. The most important thing to remember when running the plants under 24/0 during veg, is that there will also be a significant stretch when you flip the switch to 12/12. Therefore it is best to shorten the day gradually instead in order to keep the internodes tight. Other than that, you can get great results with almost any vegging schedule at or above 18/6. Some light schedules work better than others, depending on the plant.

More rest gives the plants the time to relocate energy and growth hormones more efficiently but being a C3 plant, it can photosynthesize 24/7.

I believe that most of the photosynthetic activity takes place during the first few hours of the day, when the air is rich in CO2. That's why the air smells fresh in the morning, because the plants are pumping out massive amounts of oxygen. I think that the rate then decreases significantly during the day.

Are you sure that the tomato plants are putting on weight at night, or early in the morning? I suspect the latter but it's possible that the plants take time during the night to relocate energy and therefore look better in the morning.

I also grow a lot of other plants, including all sorts of vegetables and herbs. Finally got around to trying the Naga Morich (Ghost Pepper) this year, which is the strongest chili known to man.

Nothings beats the taste of homegrown organic vegetables though. Very sweet. I have also grown tobacco just for fun, both virginian and mapacho. Tobacco carries resin glands, just like cannabis plants and it can be very potent, especially the mapacho, which is hallucinogenic to some extent. I found that out the hard way when I was working with the plants without wearing gloves.

Works great as an organic pesticide though, when combined with hot chili, cooking oil and soap.

You should look into companion planting. Chamomille for example is known to increase the production of essential oils in other plants. Works great on basil so I don't see why it wouldn't work on cannabis as well. I'm going to try it out outdoors when I get the chance.

Kodiak

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Thanks for the good vibes

Yeah, I gave the guide another complete overhaul some time back.

Seems like it's never truly done but it does look better than the first draft.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
This is a cross of your own making to bare.
ps your doing a good job. I don't have that kind of nerve, by a long shot

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Thanks for the good vibes

Yeah, I gave the guide another complete overhaul some time back.

Seems like it's never truly done but it does look better than the first draft.

I think this is an understatement, the make over is Fab U Lus, very easy to read.

gs123

my babys are 3 n a half week into veg, i topped 1 ov them but forgot to do it with the lights off will ther b any negative consequences