What's new

A Basic Compost Tea Guide

C

CT Guy

Please use caution if gaining info on compost tea etc. from T&J Enterprises. I can't download it now because of being stuck with dial-up for a while but they had two video clips posted on their website; 1/ which is called fungi spores but is actually air bubbles
2/ they then claim the spores grow into fungal hyphae overnight but what they have is lines from a slide drying out. I emailed them to request they remove such bad info but it appears they ignored me. Like I said I can't look at it now but you can compare what they have to what real spores and fungal hyphae look like on my page. Also beware of adding things of any substance to a finished ACT and beware of people selling already made ACT, especially with stuff added to it.

That's so funny, I've been out of it this past week and catching up on posts, but that was my first thought too. I spent an hour on the phone a couple of years back with the guy just asking questions and it was obvious that they had no clue what they were doing in regards to ACT. Can't comment on the yucca, but do know of people adding saponin as part of their recipe.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Thanks Clackamas. :joint:

Quick search results adequate enough for all but the most fervent of seekers...relevant enough for those interested in the contents suggested by Clackamas:

http://tribes.tribe.net/effectivemicro/thread/d6b8fd03-e2c7-4650-a658-51fdf4f013ad

Onward.
TheGreenReaper

The link that you provided is from Gil Carandang. Jaykush (one of the moderators) is very familiar with Gil's work.

There is a thread on the Organic Soil board on this topic if I remember correctly.

In addition to EM-1 and BIM technology, check out FPE (Fermented Plant Extracts) some time. Jaykush is also well versed on this topic as well.

I've played around with FEP processes by taking the hottest chilis I had available (Habanero) and made an anti-mite concoction which worked EXTREMELY well. Just don't get any on your hands and wipe your forehead - it's not very pleasant.

HTH

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
RE: Teaming With Microbes - revised edition.

This book has been released though not through Amazon.com

I placed an order this morning with another book seller and I've received an email telling me that my order has shipped.

Talk to you next Monday or Tuesday (projected delivery date) and let you know what's new and improved in this new revision.

CC

C

CT Guy

RE: Teaming With Microbes - revised edition.

This book has been released though not through Amazon.com

I placed an order this morning with another book seller and I've received an email telling me that my order has shipped.

Talk to you next Monday or Tuesday (projected delivery date) and let you know what's new and improved in this new revision.

CC

Oops, forgot to post about that. I saw Jeff this past week and he said the difference is 25 pages. He talks about archea and more about mycorrhizal fungi and a couple of other things. Not a huge difference. The cover is different too...

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Oops, forgot to post about that. I saw Jeff this past week and he said the difference is 25 pages. He talks about archea and more about mycorrhizal fungi and a couple of other things. Not a huge difference. The cover is different too...
I will enjoy the added information on mycorhizal fungai to be sure.

I 'suspected' that the new version of this book wouldn't be the proverbial 'leap forward' that others are expecting.

Having said that it's also important to support the authors of this tome in spite of what I feel are short-comings regarding AACT science.

The first edition was pretty lacking on information about brewing AACT brews, IMHO. Having said that this book is NOT necessarily dealing with how to brew and use compost teas - as a matter of fact the book hardly deals with this subject.

Still - it is a great book on the whole SFW paradigm, IMHO

CC

JuneBugJoe

I have been doing some reading and researching and before i buy a compost brewer is there any tutorial out there on how to make your own larger brewer like 25-100 gal... I saw a 60 gal vortex setup on youtube from living soil organics in HI and I envy that setup. He referred me to a book called Living Water By Victor Schauberger Translated by Olaaf Alexanderrson. Has anyone checked it out (Im sure yall have)? Along with my list of books to read already i need to check this out... I was looking at the vortex type brewers and reading how they are beneficial. I contacted soil food web and they referred me to the dirt simple line of brewers, but they want over $1000 just for the 10 gal brewer... The design really doesn't look that difficult and I would say there is not $1000 worth of equipment on there... a ten gal tank some pvc valve, fittings and a pump.... I also contacted the sales people at growing solutions and they have a 10 gal product for $595 which looks like it actually has some technology to it. What makes different equipment worth more? Do the dirt simple brewers have markup because they get backed by soilfoodweb? I am somewhat new at everything in the organic compost tea field but I am still very business minded and know how some companies will try use their name to push products and make money on the mis informed. Well im not really wanting to blow my money and would rather just build my own unit if possible to produce the same quality product as the so called high microbial producing machines. Unless there is a real advantage in buying the product and the material they use is specifically designed by nasa for peak microbe production (which im sure not)... I have learned a lot already from this thread and appreciate all the advice given... Its hard sometimes trying to communicate with different people online because everyone has a different opinion... Wish i had a local compost tea brewing expert advisor, but knowing local is tough when you just move... Ill just keep reading the books & researching and make my own opinions like everyone else haha :artist:

Trichgnomes

No offense Junebug, but the constant use of ellipsis make that post very difficult to read.
I probably sound like a broken record, but MM's website has a ton of information on DIY brewers, and he recommends which pumps to use at what size. I am pretty sure any of the designs can be built to scale at whatever size you want. the output of the pump is definitely an important aspect, as well as the diffuser.

JuneBugJoe

No offense Junebug, but the constant use of ellipsis make that post very difficult to read.
I probably sound like a broken record, but MM's website has a ton of information on DIY brewers, and he recommends which pumps to use at what size. I am pretty sure any of the designs can be built to scale at whatever size you want. the output of the pump is definitely an important aspect, as well as the diffuser.

none taken... I have a really bad habit about adding ... to the end of all my thoughts i type out haha...

I will read through his site today

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Microbeman

An orchard operation out in the Columbia River Gorge area is considering buying rotor vane compressor.

The particular model they're considering is the Sweetwater Rotary Vane Compressors

Here's a photo:

AQ5_rgb.jpg

AQ3-2.gif
Sweetwater® motor-mounted, oilless rotary vane compressors are compact, easy-to-service and excellent for moderate-pressure, continuous-duty applications. They more than double the air output of piston compressors with better longevity. Sacrificial oilless carbon vanes automatically adjust as they wear to maintain efficiency.

Thermal overload protection, air filter, inlet check valve and 8' power cord is included. Ten-psi models work to a depth of 18 feet and 15-psi models work to 27 feet, depending on tubing diameter and distance.

The only wearing parts are carbon vanes, which can be replaced in about 15 minutes using common tools (in continuous operation, vanes last 9 to 18 months, depending on operating pressure).

All Sweetwater® rotary vane compressors are performance tested and covered by a one-year warranty (not including air filters, vanes, water damage or lightning damage). Single-phase models are 115V if not specified. Check valves are recommended where long underwater runs of air tubing can fill with water when the compressor is off.
Thanks for any input.

CC

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have no hands on experience with this model but have recommended Sweetwater blowers for heavy use and they served well

C

CT Guy

We've used Ametek in the past and their customer service for repairs has been really poor, and they're expensive. If you decide to go that route though, shoot me a PM and I can get you a wholesale price on their motors.

I've heard Sweetwater recommended around the CT industry but also no personal experience.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Thanks for the information about the Sweetwater blowers. From what I understand they found a new(er) one on Craigslist and the seller was using it on a 25,000 koi pond (he's a breeder).

Supposedly the model they're considering is the 3/4 HP and they were told that they run about $1,000.00 new.

Seems like overkill to me to spray an orchard once or maybe twice per year but it isn't my money and I told them I'd ask you 2 gentleman.

Thanks again!

CC

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Question for all you tea fanatics. I have been making tea as you would expect, BUT...........I have a larger garden and don't have a more than a few 5 gallon buckets to make my tea in. What I have been doing is making a strong tea and then diluting it with rain water....is this good or bad to dilute it this way? I know ultimately I need a larger brewer,but until then????

C

CT Guy

Question for all you tea fanatics. I have been making tea as you would expect, BUT...........I have a larger garden and don't have a more than a few 5 gallon buckets to make my tea in. What I have been doing is making a strong tea and then diluting it with rain water....is this good or bad to dilute it this way? I know ultimately I need a larger brewer,but until then????

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. It's much better to make a good tea in a smaller container and then adding water after it's done. If you try to do it the other way around then you're never going to be able to keep up with necessary dissolved oxygen levels.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Sounds like you're doing the right thing. It's much better to make a good tea in a smaller container and then adding water after it's done. If you try to do it the other way around then you're never going to be able to keep up with necessary dissolved oxygen levels.
I also aerate my rain water....after I pump it in to the storage tank for the week.

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Longest.
Thread.
Ever.

Or maybe it just seems the longest because it's useful enough that I felt compelled to read the entire thing.

One of you needs to condense this into a book. Or a new chapter in Teaming With Microbes.