What's new

A Basic Compost Tea Guide

mad librettist

Veteran
Just a thought, but aquarium heaters can get very hot. They will kill any organisms that get into contact with them. Once I innocently thought that if a heater would heat water to 23C, they would be safe enough to touch, and got burns on my thumb and finger just trying to pick it up by the glass. They get to at least 100C if not more. But you could run heated water through your solution through pvc pipes, or put the heater in a closed pipe filled with water inside the container, and heat the tea indirectly.

convection! look into it!

Smurf

stoke this joint
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just a thought, but aquarium heaters can get very hot. They will kill any organisms that get into contact with them. Once I innocently thought that if a heater would heat water to 23C, they would be safe enough to touch, and got burns on my thumb and finger just trying to pick it up by the glass. They get to at least 100C if not more. But you could run heated water through your solution through pvc pipes, or put the heater in a closed pipe filled with water inside the container, and heat the tea indirectly.

Yes those glass encased filaments do get quite hot, & they break easily too (destroyed a couple myself), but I was keen to increase microbe activity in a brew with the constant temps so I switched to a polymer heater,,,, they're still quite warm to the touch but less likely to burn you,,, & 10X more robust. This Italian unit (only 50w) has outlasted all the previous heaters I've used to-date & its still going strong.

mad librettist

Veteran
ever try this?

you tell a buddy that a 100$ bill won't burn with a cigarette if it is stretched tight across the back of his hand. If he can hold it there until he proves you wrong, he gets the cash.

for the same reason his hand will sizzle long before the 100$ bill shows any heat damage, your heater won't burn the microbes. your hand, since it absorbs heat better than the water, will burn.

pretty sure that's true.

grapeman

Veteran
The rototiller analogy sounds right,a book I have explaines about microbes being several feet long and powering through them with a paint drill seems like a good way to reduce what were trying to do.

Microbes are several feet long?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
CT Guy

An associate and I actually bought a microscope today from American Scientific up in Portland and yes, it's probably crap but it's a step in the right direction.

Tell Microbe Man that we're gunning for him! You too!

LOL

CC

grapeman

Veteran
Listen everyone, the drill thing comes from me. It is my version of a slurry make even quicker. Jaykush uses arm power.......I learned long ago it is better to be smart than strong. I used a Dewalt drill with a paint paddle. KISS

When you do this wit the drill there is not fungal hypha to damage because you have not started the brewing process yet. It is simply to aggregate the solution to separate the bacteria from the solid particles in the castings.

V

Ha. Never read your method of doing this, but this is proof positive that great minds think alike.

Thanks to all the microbial veterans for the free association of knowledge.

Alright, I cant get this off my mind and need an expert to tell me if I am off base. Is there a place for organic yogurt in making teas. I figure the lactose is a sugar source, casein, and other milk protiens, and you have a host of probiotic bacteria. I know I have read about growers using milk as a foliar to beat PM and innoculate.

Maybe I am thinking of this the wrong way, but I cant be the first to think of this. Anyone used yogurt or any thoughts on adding yogurt to the teas?

S

secondtry

CT Guy

An associate and I actually bought a microscope today from American Scientific up in Portland and yes, it's probably crap but it's a step in the right direction.

Tell Microbe Man that we're gunning for him! You too!

LOL

CC

Congrats! Did you get a trinocular? Any plans for a video camera? I have MM's large microscope and a good HD camcorder with great still pics; after my move to OR I am diving into much microscopy work, I am really looking forward to it and am not very skilled yet. I am moving to OR, right near you I think, we should hook up. I'm moving out to your area at the end of February.

Do you have MM's video series? Definitely worth ordering for sure!

Here are two great vids by a professor who reminds me a lot of our venerable MM.

FWIW:

• "microflora" = bacteria and generally fungi
  • "microfauna" = protozoa
  • "mesofauna" = nematodes, etc.
  • In the following videos the professor incorrectly calls nematodes microfauna IIRC.

"Extracting Soil Microfauna" (part 1)
By Terry Tollefson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCenRcKbf7U

"Soil Biology (Microfauna)" (part 2)
By Terry Tollefson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuHznslr8aI&NR=1

S

secondtry

Hey,

I have the prosumer model "Cannon Vixia HFS-10", it's a very high quality yet inexpensive (relatively) camera which "pro"ducers and con"sumer"s can both use. It's only about $1,000 now and you'll also need the Martin Microscope "MM99-58" adapter for $375.

I will let MM chime in with much more knowledge than I on this topic. I defer to MM but he and I have had discussed this camera and this topic. Also, IIRC MM is working on a microscope camcorder to sell, so you may want to ask him about that.

Video Camera:
Cannon Vixia HFS-10
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/canon-vixia-hf-s10/4505-6500_7-33483227.html

Martin Microscope adapter:
(if you get a different camera the adapter *must* be the size matching the "filter size" of the camera, i.e., for my camera the filter size is 58 mm so I need the "MM99-58" adapter)
http://www.martinmicroscope.com/New%20MM%20Page.htm

Reference pics to help identify microbes [not species]:
(thanks to Microbeman; IIRC he may have put together something more permanent)

Errr...I have to log into Yahoo Compost Tea to get MicrobeMan's work on this topic. I will wait a little while to see if MM has anything to add. Dr. Ingham and one of her colleges have created a microbe identification chart but I would use what MM as come up with first, then one could refer to Dr. Ingham's work but she is less of an authority on microscopy than is MM in my opinion.

HTH

Trichgnomes

Cool. I will look into those. After I posted I did some looking around MM's website, and clicked a link about making your own carrying case for a scope, and eventually stumbled upon this camera.
OmniVidL.jpg

http://www.greatscopes.com/omnivid.htm

It is the same price as yours, but has an LCD screen that fits onto a trinocular microscope. I was wondering if you/anyone else has any input on this particular model, and if it would even fit on the scopes that MM sells.

Edit: I re-read the website and found nothing that indicated it was HD...hmmm.

S

secondtry

Yea you want a real camcorder for the best images and video. If you see the microscope used in those youtube videos I uploaded look at the trinocular, it has a camcorder attached. That is how you want to set it up for the best results. I have a bad back (broken spine, degenerative disk disease and advanced arthritis in my neck) that is why I wanted to get a camcorder I can hook up to my computer as MM does it.

I would suggest you wait and ask MM about his camcorder, but if you want HD you should get what I suggest or the Sony camcorder MM suggests, or other camcorders MM suggests. I wanted HD so that is why I got a prosumer model: I can use it on hikes, vacations, etc, not just with microscopy ;)

HTH and remember MM could come in here and correct me, so lets wait for his opinion, but AFAIK, he and I see eye to eye on this topic...

Trichgnomes

The page you linked for getting your adapter sells a pretty sweet combo of a camera/adapter. I think it may be the Sony that you are referring to.

It seems like a good deal but I will wait to here MM's input.
SonyHC9-MM99.jpg

S

secondtry

Yes that is the Sony that MM used for a long time, and the setup he suggests; you could buy it will satisfaction and assurance it will work well. MM now has a better camcorder IIRC. The setup I use is the same, but my camcorder is better; that doesn't mean better images from microscope but more band for the 'buck' if using other than with microscope.

GL

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What the hell is IIRC? I'm still using the same HD Sony I have since 2007 with 37mm lens/filter. I will have cheap digital eyepiece cams for sale this month. (around $130 and just as good/better than that photo posted above) I'm also working on a less expensive camcorder with Martin adapter but not HD (around $800) but don't hold your breath. I have not tried the Cannon and I think 2nd try has not yet either. I do not have another HD model.
Here is the microbe identification section on my website. You can download/print off the two part PDF for reference.
http://www.microbeorganics.com/#Microbe_Identification

Trichgnomes

What the hell is IIRC?

I don't know how I deciphered it so quickly (no googling, mind you) but I'm pretty sure it stands for If I Recall Correctly. I've never heard it used before but Secondtry is full of uncommonly used acronyms it seems.

Thanks for the replies, Mm, I'm exiting to delve into the realm of microscopy.

S

secondtry

IIRC = If I Remember/Recall Correctly; it is used when one (like me) wants to make a statement which may or may not be 100% correct but the person is petty sure it's correct.

FYI = For Your Information

AFAIK = As Far As I Know

AFAIU = As Far As I Understand

FWIW = For What It's Worth

I type so much I like to use what ever legit methods I can to save me some typing, these acronyms are 'legal' Internet verbiage

Latest posts

Latest posts