What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A 20-Year Study on Marijuana Use Yields 5 Surprising Finds

mukuku

I am not blind....I have smoked weed for around 25 years and I will tell you right now, if it WAS addictive and I went for a 2 week holiday with none( like I just have ) they would have been checking me into hospital. DEPENDENCE and ADDICTION are totally different things.
I have seen people withdrawing from addictive substances after a matter of hours, and it ain't pretty.

ok for dependance...you replace a word by another and finally you take a one more hit on you bong because you are wright not because you are on dependance...

long may you run man ...

:biggrin:

mr.brunch

Veteran
ok for dependance...you replace a word by another and finally you take a one more hit on you bong because you are wright not because you are on dependance...

long may you run man ...

:biggrin:

I don't understand the confusion.... Being dependent on something is one thing( not nice to go without, but no debilitating symptoms) whereas with addiction you can't go without it, not without some pretty serious physical pain / other symptoms.
But I guess you just want to lump all substances together under one catch all term, like government has been for years.
Or maybe it's just that some people like to make excuses for why they smoke... I can't help it man , I'm addicted... I would stop if I could.... Not my fault....
Personally I freely admit I love to smoke and ain't giving up due to my own choice- but as I stated before, after 25 years of smoking pretty much all the time I don't take weed on hols/ family visits etc and though I don't like being without it I certainly don't go cold turkey.
How is that an addiction?

jd4083

Veteran
I don't understand the confusion.... Being dependent on something is one thing( not nice to go without, but no debilitating symptoms) whereas with addiction you can't go without it, not without some pretty serious physical pain / other symptoms.
But I guess you just want to lump all substances together under one catch all term, like government has been for years.
Or maybe it's just that some people like to make excuses for why they smoke... I can't help it man , I'm addicted... I would stop if I could.... Not my fault....
Personally I freely admit I love to smoke and ain't giving up due to my own choice- but as I stated before, after 25 years of smoking pretty much all the time I don't take weed on hols/ family visits etc and though I don't like being without it I certainly don't go cold turkey.
How is that an addiction?

You are trying to compartmentalize these two words in different ways because you don't like the sound of one of them. The dictionary and the medical community disagree with your synopsis of what the terms mean, and this information has been posted in this thread at least once. The point is really moot to begin with because we all already agree that pot is arguably the least dangerous mind altering substance that one can use anyways.

mr.brunch

Veteran
and my computer tells me that "you must give some undeserving bastard some + rep before covering up Mr. Brunch with it again..." stupid fucking computer! :biggrin: i'll get you one way or the other, Mr. Brunch!

No worries man, your post is worth more than some rep!
:)

mr.brunch

Veteran
Whatever. Clearly you've never seen a real addicted person.
To suggest weed is the same laughs in these people's faces

jd4083

Veteran
Whatever. Clearly you've never seen a real addicted person.
To suggest weed is the same laughs in these people's faces

What, are we measuring dicks for how much experience we have with addiction? I voluntarily checked myself into inpatient rehab for a month when I was 19 and stayed in halfway houses while following up with daily outpatient rehab and multiple AA/NA meetings per day for a year afterwards to "get over" my pill and coke addiction. I was not in legal trouble, I put myself there because I was going down a very bad path and I didn't see any other options. It's not only disingenuous, it is just plain ignorant for you to say something like "clearly you've never seen a real addicted person" simply because my (well-reasoned and experience-based) opinion differs from yours.

Nobody said an addiction to pot is the same as trying to come off heroin or benzos. Try to focus on what is actually said rather than what you perceive people to say, it might help you make more lucid arguments in the future.

mr.brunch

Veteran
What, are we measuring dicks for how much experience we have with addiction? I voluntarily checked myself into inpatient rehab for a month when I was 19 and stayed in halfway houses while following up with daily outpatient rehab and multiple AA/NA meetings per day for a year afterwards to "get over" my pill and coke addiction. I was not in legal trouble, I put myself there because I was going down a very bad path and I didn't see any other options. It's not only disingenuous, it is just plain ignorant for you to say something like "clearly you've never seen a real addicted person" simply because my (well-reasoned and experience-based) opinion differs from yours.

Nobody said an addiction to pot is the same as trying to come off heroin or benzos. Try to focus on what is actually said rather than what you perceive people to say, it might help you make more lucid arguments in the future.
Then surely you above a people should see what point I am making- it's dangerous to class all drugs as the same - if a kid had been 'addicted ' to pot and found it quite easy to stop may think that heroin is the same.
Not trying to argue with anyone- especially someone I dont even know, so no need to be quite so aggressive.

jd4083

Veteran
Fuck those people. They would leave you in a ditch to die and keep on driving past. But don't go smoke that doobie, it's bad for you. I'll call the police. It will do you so much better than hitting that doobie. Morons.

As for everyone else who finally realized weed is not so bad. What the fuck took you so long.

Really the real question is what is taking so long to sign a paper end repeal prohibition and end it. It's just a piece a paper.

I know most these people who spout this garbage have never been addicted to hard shit. Weed is about as addicting as candy. This post is directed at the people saying that not you J.D. No one on here is saying that I just wanted to make myself clear to the people that do say this.

Computers are more addicting. I'd like to see what happens when you take away all these peoples computers.

Computers are even more harmful than weed on your body and eyes.

No ban on that.

Very good on you and congrats for surviving and staying clean since. I bet you learned but it was a hard lesson. You can thank the drug war for that one.

If it was not for the drug war, we would have half the amount of addicted people on heroin and coke and other things. The drug war causes more drug use. No drug war = opposite results.

The drug war had absolutely nothing to do with it.

We're not "classing all drugs the same" by speaking openly about the addictive potential of cannabis. Simply trying to bring to light something that is uncomfortable to talk about, but which needs to be talked about if we ever intend to have full outright nationwide legalization.

This discussion is going nowhere.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Jd, I see that you agree that not all drugs are the same, so as the addictive potential of cannabis is so low do you not agree that there should be a different term to describe it? I have to try and differentiate between psychological and physical so surely it makes sense to call these different states by different names.
Let's remember that the dictionary definition follows people's usage of words , not the other way round.
Again, I am not waving anything, just trying to make a point.

Unclecrash

Quote: 2. Marijuana use and driving don't mix
We know that drinking and driving don't mix, but Dr. Hall's study, which included a meta-analysis of drivers who smoked and a control group that didn't, definitively showed that smoking marijuana nearly doubles your risk of an accident.

What did they use people who never smoked and said here get high and drive. Or some Lacadasical people who don't pay attention. Been driving 35 years without an accident and high the whole time. {Marijuana use and driving don't mix} I think this statement is bullshit!! and depends on the person. What have I been lucky this many year's of driving. Never have caused one accident. And I smoke every day and I used to drive 24ft box truck's high as a kite!! no accident's

evorider

Not going to get into my personal medical problems in open forum but i can tell you that i was taking a prescription drug called Norco 10-325. Some powerful shit i might add. I did everything i could for many years trying to avoid taking them after many attempts by my dr. whopushed me to try. Surgery here, surgery there, still avoided them. Finally i couldnt take the pain anymore, i started taking them twice a day for the past year now. The problem was that i have smoked marijuana on occasions, poker party, 4th of July and when ever my buddy stopped over to hang out. Last week i tested positive for marijuana at my pain clinic and am no longer able to get pain meds. I am withdrawing severely from the sudden stoppage. These drs are complete morons. People don't get addictive to the pot, they are addictive to the benifits it gives them. Fuck the pain pills then, I'll stay smoking more pot. Marijuana doesn't help as much for pain, by my anxiety sure is better.

Unclecrash

Not going to get into my personal medical problems in open forum but i can tell you that i was taking a prescription drug called Norco 10-325. Some powerful shit i might add. I did everything i could for many years trying to avoid taking them after many attempts by my dr. whopushed me to try. Surgery here, surgery there, still avoided them. Finally i couldnt take the pain anymore, i started taking them twice a day for the past year now. The problem was that i have smoked marijuana on occasions, poker party, 4th of July and when ever my buddy stopped over to hang out. Last week i tested positive for marijuana at my pain clinic and am no longer able to get pain meds. I am withdrawing severely from the sudden stoppage. These drs are complete morons. People don't get addictive to the pot, they are addictive to the benifits it gives them. Fuck the pain pills then, I'll stay smoking more pot. Marijuana doesn't help as much for pain, by my anxiety sure is better.

And what's worse the stupid Doc 's cut you cold turkey and make people suffer worse instead of weening you off them.

evorider

Exactly my point. They push the opiates on you for the benifits of pharmaceutical companies then slam you down with a trace of marijuana. Im sure i had traces of marijuana wene i started taking norco, so why not confront me then instead of waiting till I'm addictive to them.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Ask your self one thing what has MJ cured with out a doubt and conclusive evidence proving it."

I know, without a single doubt in my mind, that cannabis CURES breast cancer. The proof is the fact that it no longer exists. Nuff said

DrFervor, you're doing nothing more than spreading misinformation based on the lies you choose to believe.
Your education is your responsibility, not the communities. If you want the truth of all matters you need to be more open minded. In other words... Tell yourself you don't know shit & maybe you'll open the doors of learning.

You should be more inquisitive and less authoritative in your approach to this conversation.

DrFever

Veteran
MJ prove it is there scientific data proving it cures Cancers unlikely this is why in in order to get a mj prescription your literally on your death bed and again ask your self for what ?? its to ease the pain all this fucking thing does so you know where you know for a fact where you can stick that RIGHT show me or us the proof ?
??

Is Marijuana Addictive? The best scientific data available indicate that marijuana is less potentially addictive than many other substances in common use. This should not be construed as meaning that marijuana has no potential for dependence or that it is entirely safe. "People who develop problems with marijuana may indeed be different from those who do not, but this phenomenon has been observed with other substances of abuse. A comparison with alcohol use and dependence provides a case in point. The great majority of Americans have tried alcohol and continue to drink alcoholic beverages regularly. However, only an estimated 10 to 15 percent of alcohol drinkers develop problems, and only some of these problem drinkers seek treatment. This is also true of those who have tried cocaine or heroin (Anthony, Warner, and Kessler, 1994). "That said, the experience of dependence on marijuana tends to be less severe than that observed with cocaine, opiates, and alcohol (Budney, 2006; Budney et al., 1998). On average, individuals with marijuana dependence meet fewer DSM dependence criteria; the withdrawal experience is not as dramatic; and the severity of the associated consequences is not as extreme. However, the apparently less severe nature of marijuana dependence does not necessarily mean that marijuana addiction is easier to overcome. Many factors besides a drug’s physiological effects—including availability, frequency and pattern of use, perception of harm, and cost—can contribute to cessation outcomes and the strength of addiction. The low cost of marijuana, the typical pattern of multiple daily use by those addicted, the less dramatic consequences, and ambivalence may increase the difficulty of quitting. Although determining the relative difficulty of quitting various substances of abuse is complex, the treatment literature reviewed here suggests that the experience of marijuana abusers rivals that of those addicted to other substances." - See more at: http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/Marijuana#sthash.kUFLl27R.dpuf

Marijuana was the illicit drug with the largest number of persons with past year dependence or abuse in 2012, followed by pain relievers, then by cocaine. Of the 7.3 million persons aged 12 or older classified with illicit drug dependence or abuse in 2012, 4.3 million persons had marijuana dependence or abuse (representing 1.7 percent of the total population aged 12 or older, and 58.9 percent of all those classified with illicit drug dependence or abuse), 2.1 million persons had pain reliever dependence or abuse, and 1.1 million persons had cocaine dependence or abuse (Figure 7.2). "• The number of persons who had marijuana dependence or abuse remained similar between 2002 (4.3 million) and 2012 (4.3 million) and between 2011 (4.2 million) and 2012 (Figure 7.3). The rate of marijuana dependence or abuse in 2012 (1.7 percent) was similar to the rate in each year from 2005 through 2011 (ranging from 1.6 to 1.8 percent)." - See more at: http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/Marijuana#sthash.kUFLl27R.dpuf

Unclecrash

Exactly my point. They push the opiates on you for the benifits of pharmaceutical companies then slam you down with a trace of marijuana. Im sure i had traces of marijuana wene i started taking norco, so why not confront me then instead of waiting till I'm addictive to them.

Now the damn feds are cracking down on opiates especially norco. my doc has tryed to ytake a different pill from me every month for the past 4 month's. He has the nurse aide bring the scripts to me. I learned real quick you better stand there and make sure you are getting what you are on. They tried to take one script and I told her no no you forgot this she say's no you should have a refil, I said sorry I was just at the pharmacy before I come to the doc office. So she says sorry and goes and gets my script. Then before she gets back I notice my norco script is dated for the wrong date. So I calmly say to her as she gets back as I hand her the script and say take this back to my doc and have him rewrite it because I says you know darn well the pharmacy is NOT going to fill a out dated script , she says im sorry and goes and gets me a new one I say thankyou and im on my way. I agree totally they should not play the games they do. Matter of fact I dont think they are even supose to test you for the weed, without you knowing. My Doc piss tests me every month and never says a word about me being on it. They are suppose to be just using it as a drug screen to make sure you are not selling your pills. Because I even told my Doc I was going to be probably using it for pain management and he advised against me smoking it. So I said Doc you should be treating people with it and went on to say it helps me a lot with my multitude of different pains and that I sit back and smoke one and the pains just melt away most of the time with the help of my other meds. If I was you I would ask someone in your area or a lawyer if they can do that to you without your consenting to it. Who know's maybe it's a matter of time before they try to wrestle mine away from me. I just today went to the Doc and he had took a pill which Im not going to tell what type of doc gave me the pill but my doc decides to take it without telling me last month so I was having problems without it so when we were discussing what was going on . I look him directly in his eye's and say you know doc the chief of that department but me on that med for a good reason. And he just looked at me with a blank expression on his face. Then he says im going to give me another script for another thing we were discussing and leave's the room.Guess what I guess hearing it come from the head of the department I look at the scripts and he gave it back to me.:dance013: Well good luck and I would be looking into the matter, they hope you say nothing and all will be forgotten. Now you can only get one script of norco and no refill's so you have to go every month if you are on them for a long time. A few of the pharmacies do not even keep norco in stock. walgreens dont went there twic a few months a part sorry we would have to order them for you. Meijers last two months was the same thing and they know I get them every month. Im going to tell them if they cannot have them for me then Im down the road.

Last edited:

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
I didnt like the comment about the employer saying he doesnt hire stoners now because they are stupid and lazy and forget things they learn and have to be retaught over and over and over again.
Ive been a construction worker since Ive been 16 y.o. Painting ext/int houses, Hanging/taping/sanding sheetrock, kitchen/bath remodels, the works. I smoke before work, at break, at lunch, and at my second break. Nothing lazy or stupid about me.
I work like a bull. Have to remember all kinds of measurements. Have to get the job done by a certain date. Nothing lazy about me. Ever!
I have met people that smoke and that is true of them. Not this guy! Not at all.
I gets er' done!!

Smoking ganja while drinking is a huge no-no. Ive blacked out after smoking some piney X-Mas tree herb after I was highly intoxicated and dont remember hardly anything from that night.
Im not a drinker so a little bit messes me up bad.
I drive everday while I smoke. Dont care about the smell or police driving by or behind me. I simply roll up the windows and hope for the best. If I got pulled over I would hand them the roach if they smelled it and tell em I smoked a few hours ago and that smell is from this roach. I dont carry anything over an 1/8th just in case.

I drive very well stoned. Im more aware of my surroundings and hyper sensitive to other drivers around me and to what they are doing. Its usually the other a-hole on the road that isnt smoking thats in a rush and being aggressive as a driver. I always think to myself,"smoke a fatty bro and chill out! Whatever you need to do can wait a few more minutes."

Its addictive in the way that your fav dessert is addictive. I can live without it, but if I can get it or have it, Im a smoke it! Psychologically more than physically. Ive never had withdrawal from ganja.

Latest posts

Latest posts