What's new

a 1.2 sg. ft. micro tube - anybody do tubes here?

igrowone

Veteran
Day 65

Day 65

Day 46 of 12/12. The upper main cola really is rock firm. Cfl's can do hard bud, just have have them close up.
The lower buds are definitely trailing in maturity. It's going to be interesting to see how they do when the main cola comes off, and I'll have the cfl's up close to 'em.
Main cola looks like it will be 7-10 inches or so at harvest. Depends if the lower budding manages to fill in the lower gap. Still seeing plenty of white pistil up high, so we're still a ways off, at least a week I think.

attachment.php

Attachments

• day65.jpg
    day65.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 7
Looks awesome man. Amazing what a few CFL's and some ingenuity can do. I would harvest in waves, take that top cola first and let the bottom ones mature for another 7 days or so. Keep us posted.

igrowone

Veteran
Day 67

Day 67

Day 48 of 12/12. The plant's height has stopped at about 29 inches. Squat little monkey is nl#5.
About 1 more week by the breeder's guidelines. The top is ripening much quicker than the bottom, so as has been suggested, a 2 phase harvest seems advisable. Thinking 5-6 day dry, 3 week cure before even sampling. Don't have enough to be wasteful. Only well cured bud is worth the trouble of tasting. Gonna take some self control, been a looong time.
attachment.php

Attachments

• day67.jpg
    day67.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 7

igrowone

Veteran
Day 69

Day 69

Day 50 of 12/12. 6 days to go.

A bit better pic, got a backdrop. Got a real nice blue/white color in the main cola. The breeder has his own grow site with pics of this strain. This girl is looking just like the one's grown under the hps. At least for the main cola. Lower buds are smaller, but after that top has been topped, well the cfl's will be right next to those buds. We'll see how the lower bus will swell.

attachment.php

Attachments

• day69.jpg
    day69.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 9

D.I.trY

nice one dude, looking real good even though the camera is a piece of shit - haha. You could have tied them down to the same height and that way the other buds would have recieved more light throughout their growth. Im not sure how much they will harden up this late when u cut of the main cola and lower the light

S

Sir_Nugget

wow thats a nice plant for just a few cfls.. looks like 20g's to me

lordbudly

Veteran
igrowone, can the best, smoke the rest is what i say! cure the best lookin buds including the main cola and save the lowest popcorn for yourself as a tester

igrowone

Veteran
nice one dude, looking real good even though the camera is a piece of shit - haha. You could have tied them down to the same height and that way the other buds would have recieved more light throughout their growth. Im not sure how much they will harden up this late when u cut of the main cola and lower the light

yeah, camera is definitely a budget camera - more meny for growing supplies - though i kept those to a minimum too

the main cola/side buds deal - that is what i thought hard and long on

i decided to go for the solid main cola as the 'sure thing' - then MAYBE the lower buds will cooperate and fill out a bit too

after that - well i'll know how well this setup worked

igrowone

Veteran
many thnx for all the replies - +rep to all - quick answers to comments

wow thats a nice plant for just a few cfls.. looks like 20g's to me
hoping for about 30 - i will report what i get - really depends on the lower buds filling up a bit or not

seems like this tube grow is going great for u never seen anything like it. vary good idea man.
i've seen a few grows with this basic idea - garbage can grows are probably the closest - i just made a garbage can in the size i wanted

igrowone, can the best, smoke the rest is what i say! cure the best lookin buds including the main cola and save the lowest popcorn for yourself as a tester
i thought about this for quite a while - for the moment i'm going to let it run - here's my thinking - you can't be sure what you'll get until you get it properly cured - that or you know the strain pretty well already - this time i'm going for max yields

igrowone

Veteran
Day 71

Day 71

Day 52 of 12/12. Pistil hairs have begun to change, getting more pinks and reds. Changed quick, one day hardly any, the next 10% turned or so. So, time for tric check. Scoped it down with a 20x jewelers loupe. Lot of clear trics visible, some cloudy, but definitely a lot of clear. No amber that I could see. So, 4 days till main cola is in question. One of the big noob's mistakes is to harvest early. Here's what she looks like in the tube.

attachment.php

Attachments

• day71.jpg
    day71.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 7

igrowone

Veteran
Day 73

Day 73

OK, time to get down to some tric pics. Of course, I was expecting it might be a bit 'tricky' to get good pics. It was a bitch, focus - lighting - they weren't easy. However, I got one pic worth showing. Hopefully a little practice and better pics will follow.

The middle, lower part of the pic has the best focus, though that's not very good.

attachment.php

Attachments

• tric.jpg
    tric.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 8

igrowone

Veteran
Day 74

Day 74

Day 55 of 12/12. Really stressing over harvesting at the right time. Would like a bit more of 'head' from 'nl#5' as opposed to body.

Main cola continues to swell, looking pretty ripe. Fans are yellowing. Took pic with flash, much better color than with the 2700k cfl's. Tric picture is not too good, but looks like more cloudy trics to me. Close exam tomorrow after getting plant out of tube.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• tric2.jpg
    tric2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 7
  • day73.jpg
    day73.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 9

igrowone

Veteran
Day 75

Day 75

Day 56 of 12/12. This was supposed to be harvest time - at least for the main cola. Tric checking saved my butt on this grow. I was sure from cola appearance that this baby should go to the drying chamber.

Not so, the trics don't lie(I think). Tons of clears. Don't think I saw a cloudy one at all. But I did think I saw a few that were colored a bit red. Some better pics to tell the story. Doing a little better with the photography. Plant out of tube and looking pretty big for micro! Tric picture focus is best close to the center, and slightly to the left.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• day75.jpg
    day75.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 9
  • tric3.jpg
    tric3.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 8

igrowone

Veteran
Day 76

Day 76

Thnx cheesebuds - always good to have these 2nd opinions. She looked good to me, but i'm not too objective on her.

Day 57 of 12/12. Check the plant in the tube and a whole LOT of pistils went brown. I'm dead certain this plant had ripened overnight. So pull it out of the tube(which is a chore) for another tric check. Trics hadn't changed a bit, all clear. Pistil color really doesn't mean crap on judging maturity. At least if you're not familiar with the strain. So here's a pic of plant in tube. Got a lot browner - can't be too much longer.

attachment.php

Attachments

• day76.jpg
    day76.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 9

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Yeah hang in there man, any day now :yes: She's mighty impressive, especially for 78w of cfl! Almost looks like you grew it outside in the sun :)

igrowone

Veteran
ScrubNinja

thnx for looking and commenting - back in the day, outside grows are what i did - i never got the results i'm getting now with my dinky 78w setup

of course the genetics weren't great - mexican/columbian bag seed - rarely did i get a summer in NY that would give a decent plant or 2

igrowone

Veteran
Day 78

Day 78

Day 59 of 12/12. Maturing slow, but that shouldn't be a big surprise. At 78w of cfl's, I guess the big surprise it's maturing as well as it is.

Pic from outside of the tube - could be better, but fairs pics are better than no pics. Getting the tric pictures down fairly well. And I what I see are 'miles and miles' of clear trics. Maybe a few cloudy, and I did see an odd dark colored tric. Well, going to let things 'cook' a few days in the tube. Gotta believe the maturity will jump at some point. Just a little wary of it jumping too much and getting weed that will put me to sleep in 15 minutes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• tric4.jpg
    tric4.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 8
  • day78.jpg
    day78.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 9