What's new

8 Historic Symbols That Mean The Opposite of What You Think

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Revoloutionary War, April 19, 1775 – September 3, 1783
Civil War, April 12, 1861 – April 9, 1865 (last shot ended June, 1865)

Things that happened on 4/19
Tuesday 19, 2005:
Joseph Ratzinger elected Pope Benedict XVI on the second day of the Papal conclave.

Wednesday 19, 2000:
An Air Philippines Boeing 737-200 crashes near Davao International Airport, killing 131.

Monday 19, 1999:
The German Bundestag returns to Berlin.

Wednesday 19, 1995:
Oklahoma City bombing: The Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA, is bombed, killing 168.

Monday 19, 1993:
The 50-day siege of the Branch Davidian building outside Waco, Texas, USA, ends when a fire breaks out. Eighty-one people die.

Wednesday 19, 1989:
1989- Desirae Farmer is born

Saturday 19, 1980:
In The Hague, Netherlands, Johnny Logan wins the twenty-fifth Eurovision Song Contest for Ireland singing "What's Another Year".

Wednesday 19, 1978:
Lagumot Harris is elected President of Nauru.

Monday 19, 1971:
Launch of Salyut 1, first human-made space station.

Wednesday 19, 1961:
The Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba ends in failure.

Tuesday 19, 1960:
Students in South Korea hold a nationwide pro-democracy protest against their president Syngman Rhee, eventually forcing him to resign.

Thursday 19, 1956:
Actress Grace Kelly marries Rainier III of Monaco.

Thursday 19, 1951:
General Douglas MacArthur retires from the military.

Wednesday 19, 1950:
Argentina becomes a signatory to the Buenos Aires copyright treaty.

Monday 19, 1943:
Bicycle Day – Swiss chemist Dr. Albert Hofmann deliberately takes LSD for the first time.

Tuesday 19, 1938:
RCA–NBC begins regular television broadcasts.

Thursday 19, 1934:
Shirley Temple debuts in Stand Up and Cheer.

Wednesday 19, 1933:
President Franklin D. Roosevelt announces that the United States will be abandoning the gold standard.

Thursday 19, 1928:
The 125th and final fascicle of the Oxford English Dictionary is published.

Tuesday 19, 1927:
Mae West is sentenced to 10 days in jail for obscenity for her play Sex.

Saturday 19, 1919:
Leslie Irvin of the United States makes the first successful parachute jump and free fall.

Monday 19, 1909:
Joan of Arc receives beatification.

Tuesday 19, 1904:
Much of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, is destroyed by fire.

Tuesday 19, 1892:
Charles Duryea claims to have driven the first automobile in the United States, in Springfield, Massachusetts.

Friday 19, 1861:
American Civil War: A pro-Secession mob in Baltimore, Maryland, attacks United States Army troops marching through the city.

Friday 19, 1839:
The Treaty of London establishes Belgium as a kingdom.

Thursday 19, 1810:
Venezuela achieves home rule: Emparan, Governor of the Captaincy General is removed by the people of Caracas and a Junta is installed.

Wednesday 19, 1809:
The army of Austria attacks and is defeated by the forces of the Duchy of Warsaw in the Battle of Raszyn, part of the struggles of the Fifth Coalition.

Wednesday 19, 1775:
American Revolutionary War: The Battle of Lexington and Concord – British General Thomas Gage attempts to confiscate American colonists' firearms. The British are driven back to Boston, Massachusetts, thus beginning the American Revolutionary War.

Wednesday 19, 1713:
With no living male heirs, Emperor Charles VI issues the Pragmatic Sanction to ensure that Habsburg lands and the Austrian throne would be inherited by his daughter, Maria Theresa.

Sunday 19, 1587:
Sir Francis Drake sinks the Spanish fleet in Cádiz Harbor.

Friday 19, 1529:
At the Diet of Speyer, a group of rulers (German: Fürst) and independent cities (German: Reichsstadt) protests the reinstatement of the Edict of Worms, beginning the Protestant movement.

Sunday 19, 1012:
Martyrdom of St Alphege in Greenwich, London.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
OK... I'll bite.
What do people commonly think they are symbolic of and what do they really symbolize?

People commonly see 911 as an attack out of the clear blue sky.

That feud has been ongoing for a while now. We aren't really making it much better by "responding". It's odd that nobody really thought the attacks on our soil were in response to anything.

It may be a stretch but it crossed my mind :D

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
No such thing as historically accurate. And you want a serious discussion? Please.

Any specifics? Looks like somebody did a pretty good job of comparing fact to false perception.

A blanket refusal of the facts might make one appear....dare I say, politically motivated.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
And you heard about it how? One of the things I've learned from living in various countries and not just reading about them is that history is bullshit at best when it has anything to do with people.

Cool... we know how you feel, and there's no longer any need for you to continue mucking the thread up.

buh-bye
be well.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
People commonly see 911 as an attack out of the clear blue sky.

That feud has been ongoing for a while now. We aren't really making it much better by "responding". It's odd that nobody really thought the attacks on our soil were in response to anything.

It may be a stretch but it crossed my mind :D

No attack is ever "out of the clear blue"
There's always a motive.

if you get attacked, you must've pissed someone off.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
April 20

Tuesday 20, 2004:
2004 - In Iraq, 12 mortars were fired on Abu Ghraib Prision by insurgents. 22 detainees were killed and 92 wounded. http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2004-04-20-iraq_x.htm

Saturday 20, 2002:
The Darwin-based Network Against Prohibition holds its first Community Smoke-In for Human Rights in Darwin, Australia. Police arrest five activists.

Friday 20, 2001:
Anti-globalization marches and a "People's Summit" are held to protest the Quebec City Summit of the Americas, a FTAA summit in Quebec City, Quebec.

Tuesday 20, 1999:
Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold kill 12 students and a teacher before turning their guns on themselves in the Columbine High School massacre.

Monday 20, 1998:
German terrorist group Red Army Faction announces their dissolution after 28 years.

Sunday 20, 1997:
The San Diego Padres face the St. Louis Cardinals in the first Major League Baseball game ever played in Hawaii.

Monday 20, 1992:
An all-star concert in memory of Queen frontman Freddie Mercury is held at Wembley Stadium in London.

Friday 20, 1979:
President Jimmy Carter is attacked by a Swamp Rabbit while on vacation in Plains, Georgia.

Thursday 20, 1978:
Korean Air Flight 902 shot down by Soviets.

Thursday 20, 1972:
Apollo 16 lands on the Moon.

Saturday 20, 1968:
English politician Enoch Powell makes his controversial Rivers of Blood Speech.

Thursday 20, 1967:
A Swiss Britannia turboprop crashes at Toronto, Canada, killing 126.

Friday 20, 1945:
US troops capture Leipzig, Germany, only to later cede the city to the Soviet Union.

Tuesday 20, 1926:
Western Electric and Warner Bros. announce Vitaphone, a process to add sound to film.

Saturday 20, 1918:
Manfred von Richthofen, aka The Red Baron, shoots down his 79th and 80th victims marking his final victories before his death the following day.

Monday 20, 1914:
Seventeen men, women, and children die in the Ludlow Massacre during a bitter Colorado coal-miner's strike.

Saturday 20, 1912:
Opening day for baseball stadiums Tiger Stadium in Detroit, Michigan, and Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts.

Monday 20, 1908:
Opening day of competition of the New South Wales Rugby League.

Sunday 20, 1902:
Pierre and Marie Curie refine radium chloride.

Sunday 20, 1884:
Pope Leo XIII publishes the encyclical, Humanum Genus.

Sunday 20, 1862:
The first pasteurization test completed by Louis Pasteur and Claude Bernard.

Saturday 20, 1861:
American Civil War: Robert E. Lee resigns his commission in the United States Army in order to command the forces of the state of Virginia.

Wednesday 20, 1836:
U.S. Congress passes an act creating the Wisconsin Territory.

Friday 20, 1792:
France declares war on Austria.

Thursday 20, 1775:
American Revolutionary War: British troops begin siege of Boston, Massachusetts

Friday 20, 1770:
Lieutenant James Cook's expedition (first voyage) makes first sighting of eastern Australian coastline, naming the spot Cape Hicks. His logbook recorded the date as April 19, but the 20th was the actual calendar date.

Wednesday 20, 1689:
The former King James II of England, now deposed, lays siege to Derry.

Friday 20, 1657:
Jews of New Amsterdam (later New York City) granted freedom of religion.

Sunday 20, 1653:
Oliver Cromwell grows sick with a broken pelvis.

C

Cookie monster

and they mean the opposite of what people commonly think?

Well if I were to go by all these BS conspiricy theorys I've read lately then probably yes :)

I'm just kidding around with ya, now unbunch those panties :blowbubbles:

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
H3ad I like your cut and paste.

I hate the internet so I'm glad you bring it to me. :)

I go to IC check out some donkey midget pron and leave.

Some of us like you, be true to your school! ;)

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Jf, you could wax half the den threads with that way of thinking. Revisionist history is a thriving business but it's only mixing what peeps want to see today with a quixotic view of the past. Rather than imagine what was in the mind of the historic figure, about all we have are events, dates, places, quotes and maybe a voting record if they held public office.

Rather than bull rush all personal histories as political, separate the facts from the chaff. The op looks like a concise opportunity to demonstrate.

A

arcticsun

History is idd bullshit at best...

I thougth we finally had a thread where we could discuss such things. Im not quite capturing whether or not peeps think my post is political or not, im trying to talk more about religion as its allowed.

I think the thread is fine, but the examples at hand are horrible, there are much worse dogmas that are left alone for the simple reason that nobody wants to know really.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I learned a little and even consider it interesting how facts are only convenient when they don't contradict our particular affliction we can't discuss here. :)

A

arcticsun

April 20

Tuesday 20, 2004:
2004 - In Iraq, 12 mortars were fired on Abu Ghraib Prision by insurgents. 22 detainees were killed and 92 wounded. http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2004-04-20-iraq_x.htm

Saturday 20, 2002:
The Darwin-based Network Against Prohibition holds its first Community Smoke-In for Human Rights in Darwin, Australia. Police arrest five activists.

Friday 20, 2001:
Anti-globalization marches and a "People's Summit" are held to protest the Quebec City Summit of the Americas, a FTAA summit in Quebec City, Quebec.

Tuesday 20, 1999:
Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold kill 12 students and a teacher before turning their guns on themselves in the Columbine High School massacre.

Monday 20, 1998:
German terrorist group Red Army Faction announces their dissolution after 28 years.

Sunday 20, 1997:
The San Diego Padres face the St. Louis Cardinals in the first Major League Baseball game ever played in Hawaii.

Monday 20, 1992:
An all-star concert in memory of Queen frontman Freddie Mercury is held at Wembley Stadium in London.

Friday 20, 1979:
President Jimmy Carter is attacked by a Swamp Rabbit while on vacation in Plains, Georgia.

Thursday 20, 1978:
Korean Air Flight 902 shot down by Soviets.

Thursday 20, 1972:
Apollo 16 lands on the Moon.

Saturday 20, 1968:
English politician Enoch Powell makes his controversial Rivers of Blood Speech.

Thursday 20, 1967:
A Swiss Britannia turboprop crashes at Toronto, Canada, killing 126.

Friday 20, 1945:
US troops capture Leipzig, Germany, only to later cede the city to the Soviet Union.

Tuesday 20, 1926:
Western Electric and Warner Bros. announce Vitaphone, a process to add sound to film.

Saturday 20, 1918:
Manfred von Richthofen, aka The Red Baron, shoots down his 79th and 80th victims marking his final victories before his death the following day.

Monday 20, 1914:
Seventeen men, women, and children die in the Ludlow Massacre during a bitter Colorado coal-miner's strike.

Saturday 20, 1912:
Opening day for baseball stadiums Tiger Stadium in Detroit, Michigan, and Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts.

Monday 20, 1908:
Opening day of competition of the New South Wales Rugby League.

Sunday 20, 1902:
Pierre and Marie Curie refine radium chloride.

Sunday 20, 1884:
Pope Leo XIII publishes the encyclical, Humanum Genus.

Sunday 20, 1862:
The first pasteurization test completed by Louis Pasteur and Claude Bernard.

Saturday 20, 1861:
American Civil War: Robert E. Lee resigns his commission in the United States Army in order to command the forces of the state of Virginia.

Wednesday 20, 1836:
U.S. Congress passes an act creating the Wisconsin Territory.

Friday 20, 1792:
France declares war on Austria.

Thursday 20, 1775:
American Revolutionary War: British troops begin siege of Boston, Massachusetts

Friday 20, 1770:
Lieutenant James Cook's expedition (first voyage) makes first sighting of eastern Australian coastline, naming the spot Cape Hicks. His logbook recorded the date as April 19, but the 20th was the actual calendar date.

Wednesday 20, 1689:
The former King James II of England, now deposed, lays siege to Derry.

Friday 20, 1657:
Jews of New Amsterdam (later New York City) granted freedom of religion.

Sunday 20, 1653:
Oliver Cromwell grows sick with a broken pelvis.

PEEELEEEEASSEE!!!

There you go, either its ignorance or denial or you are digging for socks in the underwear drawer. OR MAYBE ITS DISTORTION OF HISTORICAL FACTS IN ORDER TO FIT YOUR COUNTRYS CURRENT POLITICAL AGENDA????

QUE?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestation_at_Speyer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_Lexington_and_Concord

A

arcticsun

Thanks btw, you could not have proved me more right about my suspicions regarding censorship and deliberate distortion in popular reference today.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Lol, you basically admit you don't know motive but you accuse distortion w/o any examples. Is the whole list a distortion? Of what?

A

arcticsun

No .. this is probably true..

Friday 20, 1979:
President Jimmy Carter is attacked by a Swamp Rabbit while on vacation in Plains, Georgia

Japanfreakier

Veteran
Lol, you basically admit you don't know motive but you accuse distortion w/o any examples. Is the whole list a distortion? Of what?

Pretty sure everything is distorted, I know about how American history books have distorted everything you and I learned about Japan. Living here opened my eyes about some of the lies and I'm assuming there's not much difference the world over. History books are made to serve the State.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Yeah, I remember a portrait in a grade school American history book depicting native Americans running buffalo off cliffs to their deaths. This was a way of explaining how millions of buffalo became extinct. In reality, the 1 percenters were more interested in the trains running on time.

Sooner or later, facts bleeds through perception. It's just a matter of how long one takes to admit fact.

Latest posts

Latest posts