What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

600w Blumats with 3 Plants in Turface/Perlite

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
Hi SEA. The model number is WIN100. It works great and has more features than something ya'd pick up at the hydro store for three times the price. There is no way my AC alone would be able to keep temperatures in a set range alone. Good luck with your first run.

Mister_D

Veteran
Hi SEA. The model number is WIN100. It works great and has more features than something ya'd pick up at the hydro store for three times the price. There is no way my AC alone would be able to keep temperatures in a set range alone. Good luck with your first run.
[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=38538&pictureid=915617&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]

I was using one of those for my exhaust fan, before I went sealed. Did you find that through the thread I made about them?

Thanks for the replies Catman & Mister_D

Gonna go check out that thread right now…

I've been trying to get as much as can at places other than the grow shops, only way they give a break off of list-price is if u spend big $$$

catman

Veteran
Did you find that through the thread I made about them?

I must have. Thanks Mr D.

So, 8 days since flip.

I think the strains are Princess Diesel x AK47, Merlin's Magic, and BubbleGum.

I decided to change my nutrient regime up because I think I should treat it more like hydro which doesn't build up the P in the medium. I ran the 1st week with just Grow Big and now I'm feeding just 1.7 EC Tiger Bloom..with Silica Blast.

catman

Veteran

1st pic is the top of the big one, while the other three are from the bottoms of each of the plant. I'm so ready to chop off some fan leaves! I don't have my bulb raised to encourage any stretch as I want to actually use the plant mass I have already.

I'm still looking for any advice or input on defoliating bushy bitches like these. In general I know I want to work my way from the bottom up and remove the foliage over the course of a few days. Should I get started? I don't want to remove any to only have more of em come back!

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I'm still looking for any advice or input on defoliating bushy bitches like these. In general I know I want to work my way from the bottom up and remove the foliage over the course of a few days. Should I get started? I don't want to remove any to only have more of em come back!

Hang a weight from your ceiling at the top of a plant. If the plant is still stretching it will move above the weight slightly. If this happens just move the weight up till the plant stops passing the weight. At that point stretch is over.

If you are going to remove before the stretch is over do it in the really bushy areas in the back.

If you put a stake across the top of your bucket and tie it in place you could bend some branches down and tie the branches down there.

catman

Veteran
Thanks 420ish and Ichabod.

Two weeks since flip. My humidifier can not keep up with the dry heat so I'm seeing some discoloration of fan leaves closest to the light. I'm letting a few branches get within 5 inches..crazy. I haven't been getting any runoff or anymore roots that want to drop down into the bottom bucket, but the bottom of the tailpiece looks like a sausage grinder jam packed with white fuzzy roots.

I've seen several recent posts about short comings of Blumats regarding supposed air bubbles or other factors causing "run aways." Been seeing lots of smaller scale growers creating fancy reservoirs and I'm not having issues running a 5 gal bucket with no lid on it. Also, I decided to switch my AC's fan speed from high to low in an attempt to increase humidity and this caused all 3 plants to have "run aways." Resetting them is a breeze thanks to the tailpiece wick because what happens is the bucket gets flooded until the cone is saturated again (so they drippers stop) and my entire res doesn't actually run away.

picture.php

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
nice catman looking good! I have been curious about blumat ppks myself. Glad to see you nailing the blumats off the bat.

Incognegro

Huhhh.... guess blumats may be my next investment if this hydro setup doesn't produce like i want it too....

Good looking plants man.

catman

Veteran
Thanks fellas. I've dropped the ball on this grow a few times for personal reasons, but everything should turn out okay. Burned a few buds;the needs of the many come before the need of the few. Started to feed only ChaChing at only an EC of 1 and I'm planning on doing some soil-style repeated flushing down the road instead of reducing my nutrients further these next weeks. I fed em a bit too much for the appearance of the fan leafs, but I've seen it help the growth.

This is the backside of the plant I showed first in my last post. Doesn't look like it'll add up to shit this run, but that might be another story if it was lit.

The 2nd image here is buds in the upper-left hand corner of the first pic. I'm pretty sure this is the AK47 cross.

I changed my humidifier's wick and I'm reminded of the 16% (probably less) RH I had throughout my last grow. High of 71 and low of 66 as the humidity with lights on has been around 35%..and there hasn't been any humidity spikes that my AC can't evaporate or drip itself.

The yellow tape I'm using is awesome for positioning buds..not that I'm doing a great job at that, but it sure as shit beats tying knots. I can't wait to sample some fresh nugs again.

catman

Veteran
Thanks fellas. Props for the frost (genetics) goes to a kind man named Pops and the equally kind wind which hasth spread the kindness about
smiley_abzv.gif

Well, a period of cold weather made me worried about mold so I set my AC to just exhaust and circulate. What followed was my foliage drying up to hell. My hygrometer showed it's lowest setting at 16% at the canopy so I know my growth stalled and after doing this enough times I've learned my lesson about bringing in air that is too cold

Now I'm keeping my hygrometer on top of the medium and my room is going to run about 5F cooler so that my AC kicks on more frequently to remove stale and humid air. With my temp controller I can set 4 settings per day which lets me raise temps at night (for the plants) and then 45 minutes of the AC running 6 hours after lights off.

In past grows I have used a large-more powerful fan beneath the vert bulb and more intakes which would cause orange-rusty spots on my foliage, but I'm not seeing that. I do still see VPD damage and it's interesting how it's effecting each plant differently. My sativa dom C99xAG plant showed me signs of being over watered during stretch and it has the most leaf that has dried up, irregular yellowish VPD spots, and these dried up brown spots at the tips that I saw much more of when I had previously hand watered. PDx47 had nutrient build up and it's mostly got good green foliage with nutrient tip burn, few brown tips, nitrogen deficiency because I've been flushing, some buds a little burned from being too close to the lamp, but each cluster of buds is showing difference responses regarding VPD. The closet bud to the lamp is the largest/dominant it's foliage has the claw and yet is dry to the touch. Foliage elsewhere have the edges curling up like heat stress, but they are moist to touch and I see the brown tips as opposed to seeing nitrogen deficiency in the bud closet to the lamp. PDxC99 was the biggest one in veg which I trained differently, and I'm getting irregular yellow spots, the tips are not so brown though they are curling inward. The majority of the foliage is healthy or is going from nitrogen deficiency to entire leafs turning pale as they should be. This pheno is definitely going to purple up if I can keep flushing it.

I am doing what I mentioned previously about leaving the blumats wide open and flushing 5-10 gallons of straight tap every lights on and off. Previously when I hand water, it took me 2 weeks to get the EC levels below 0.3 while this time it took 3 days. 6 days into flushing the plants are at .3,.2, and 0.

All in all this was much easier than hand watering and the Blumats do work in the medium mix very well, if and only if the rez stays topped off/not empty, consistency of environmental conditions inside, and I believe they do need to be adjusted as the plants develop. I'm confident my yield will be better because my nutrient bottles are running empty, and I'm hoping for better quality smoke. I'm just growing from seed, trying to learn new things, and if nothing else, I tried what others were afraid to, uninterested in, and hopefully have changed the minds of those who had doubt. People might complain the Blumat isn't set it and forget it, but if you design a setup with drainage and a tailpiece, it's not rocket science and no need to fear over-flow;turn down the dial.

Incognegro

I'm really considering getting some Blumats when finances and time permit...
Good show!

Can't be afraid to try new things... i stopped listening the the self-proclaimed "gurus" in these boards...too many folks stuck into there own ways... got experiment and find whats right for you and your application...

Holla! :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts