What's new

5Lbs/1Kw Challenge-The Quest for 80 Zips with Galactic Grape

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heat Damage

My bloom room took a hit from a fan failure a couple days ago. Air temp was 109 degrees when I discovered the problem. The plants were subjected to this heat for the most about 8 hours.

Bud damage:

You can see some premature browning of the pistols. The plants stopped growing for a day or so. I got some leaf tacoing and burn spots as well. The good news is that the plants have started putting new flushes of flowers on.

Root damage:

The roots got a little cooked. They get a little tan from the floralicious, but should not be this brown. I have changed out the rez, slightly reducing nutes while bumping the Zone.

Leaf damage:

Younger plants in the room got their growth tips roasted and leaf damage was evident across the bloom room.

I use a large inlet fan that brings in air conditioned air controlled by a thermostat. When the fan died, my new CO2 generator conspired with the summer heat to create this mess. For now the CO2 generator is off until I can complete the rez upgrade for it.

I obsess over my plants and this is quite painful. The younger plants in the room have plenty of time to recover and should be largely unaffected in the end. The challenge buds are going to loose some growth - they are the oldest in the room. However there are still 25 days of bloom left and this plant has plenty of vigor.

As I said at the beginning of this thread, I’m in this to the end, no matter what happens. I figure I have a couple more days before going back to full strength nutes.

To prevent this in the future I’m going to upgrade the CO2 controller. I need one that shuts down the unit at a set max temp. I am glad I keep a fully stocked backup shelf. I keep extra spray lines, pumps, and fans for every critical system. This has saved my ass more than once.

One step foreward and two steps back seems to go with the hobby. You have to take these kind of things in stride and just try to learn from the experience. I felt sick about it, but what matters is what you do - not what you feel.

--------
- Swampwater

I quit using bottle CO2 a couple years ago when I could no longer move large cylinders around. The reservoir for the CO2 cooling is in another room.

- vanilla moon

I know I'm not going to do as well with this damage. But I will continue to do every thing possible to max these plants out.

- Randall Stevens

I can exchange the total air volume of the room in minutes - when the fan works!

Thank you all for your questions and comments.

-AK

abellguy

Totally sux man, I surely hope this doesn't hold things up too much with the challenge. Once again your positive attitude will go well towards their aura :rasta:

I had a grow that went astray not to long ago, I flushed for 24 hours then ran advanced nutrients revive thru my res for the next day then went back to full strength. My girls had gotten way more roasted to where the light cooked my tops to a dried up crispy brown worthless turd. Had to resort to cutting off the tops they were so jacked. But the revive seemed to allow my plants to keep going and I still ended up with a FAT harvest. I think the revive worked to pull my girls outa their funk, and I also ran some overdrive to add a coulple more days that they needed to bulk it back up. Hope your girls pull it through and you still meet your goal bro! I don't reply much on these forums but I have been glued to your post. One of the best I've seen in a long time, so I had to chime in. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU MY FRIEND! +1:biggrin:

Damn, Well that's a bummer AK. I'm really hoping they bounce back for ya. Some strains are definitely better than others at that, hopefully this is one of them. Maybe a shot of B1 could help them with the stress?
The device that shuts your co2 down with temps sounds like a good preventative measure, i really like that idea.
I just checked my master controller and it doesn't feature this option. Are you just plugging your co2 geni(instead of lights) into a c.a.p high temp shutter-downer or something similar?

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Day 49 Bloom Update

Unit:

Side:

Budz:

Track Plant:

Data:

Chunking along! The buds have continued to put new flushes of flowers on. If you look closely you can see brown pistols on the inside of the bud, but just covered in eruptions of new flowers. We definately lost some growth, but these plants are storming back!

The plants are just now getting back to feeding normally for this stage.

My roots has lightened up and everything is full steam ahead. The three closest plants to the CO2 generator seem to have the most damage. You can see on the track plant shot where they are behind. It could be much worse.

Thank you all for the kind words of support. I was SO pissed. Doing this as a high wire act just adds to the pain. So the grow is back on track and we have 3 whole weeks to keep chunkin!

As always, your comments and questions are welcome.

-AK

vangaurd

At one point man thought the earth was the ceter of the universe, that the earth was flat, that man couldnt fly, that we would never reach the moon, you my fellow grower are shooting for the moon and I am gladly cheering your on! Just because it has never been done does not mean it cant be done. Without goals in life it would simply be boring! :) Good luck!

abellguy

It looks likes you have recovered and didn't take too bad of hit and I am really glad to hear your roots are coming around! So your gonna be running a full 10 weeks? Would you say that this strain if it was run in soil would it normally finish at like 11 or 12 weeks? I have always noticed with aero that my stuff would finish about one full week early and sometimes just a little more if they were really humming when compared to if I ran the same strain in soil. Hope everything continues to go well :rasta:

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
great thread tagging along for this superb attention to detail

you got the skills for sure hope you get near your goal

peace

SneakySneaky

Veteran
Thanks for the show. A lot of people dream big, far fewer have the skill, knowledge, and math to back their goals up. Even if u don't get 5 on this run you'll still pull 3 pounds more than the average grower. Think I know the next pack of seeds I'm buying ;)

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the show. A lot of people dream big, far fewer have the skill, knowledge, and math to back their goals up. Even if u don't get 5 on this run you'll still pull 3 pounds more than the average grower. Think I know the next pack of seeds I'm buying ;)

Well said! This thread is starting to bring out some of the old timers. :biggrin:

R.Fortune

aerokrafter

Trichome Taste Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Day 56 Bloom Update

Unit:

Side:

Track:

Data:

The plumpage continues. Only 2 weeks left! The plants are sipping nutes and I have only moderately boosted to this point.

The very bottom layer of leaves have dropped and I have suspended foliar sprays on the remaining leaves because I'm afraid of getting moisture on these buds. I'm getting sucker leaves on some of them that are too close to the light - not much I can do about it at this point. The sweet grape aroma is getting more intense by the day. My damaged edge plants are still lagging behind but still growing as you can see on the track plant shot.

I feel quite lucky because normally when an aero grow goes south, there is only a minimal recovery. However GLG is very vigorous and has exceeded my expectations for recovery with continious flushes of new flowers.

--------------

R. Fortune's DIY aeroflo thread has also exceeded my expectations with it's depth and completeness. He's about half way through the build and if you have the bug to get into one of these units cheaply, I urge you to check it out here:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=239623

Once again I thank you all for your kind words of support.

As always, your comments and questions are welcome.

-AK

Latest posts

Latest posts