What's new

52W w/out ventilation: laundry-hamper grow (Shiskeberry,EarlyWonderSkunk, Mandala#1F2)

lamp-hill

52W w/out ventilation: laundry-hamper grow (Shiskeberry,EarlyWonderSkunk, Mandala#1F2)

hello all.

first nagging question: would any of you recommend using some form of proxy before posting threads like these from your home internet service?? /paranoia

this will be a grow journal/exhibition to document my first time growing in an artificial habitat. i've been lurking these icmag forums for about 3 or so years now since my guerilla growing buddy told me about this site. the info i learned from this micro grow section in particular has been a big inspiration for this first time indoor attempt.

here we go:

filingfolders.jpg

^from march 4. the "grow chamber" is merely two filing folders with their metal "hinges" clipped together and a piece of white paper as a reflector and ceiling. oh and they seedlings are skiskeberry bagseed.

2cpykk0.jpg

^just a few prickly pear cactus seedlings ended up out-competing the way more numerous wolfberry/goji seedlings. proof how cactus can be uber. i would regularily FLOOD these plants, knowing that the wolfberry/goji like to grow by stream banks in flood-originated silty soils. the cactus seedlings still turned out on top. may be due to different pH preferences, with the wolfberry prefering alkaline and the cacti prefering a little acidity ( i assume).

ANYWAYS:

after 2 weeks of filing folder action, i upgraded my setup to a cardboardbox. i've also upgraded the transparent container volumes by using glass pasta-sauce jars and plastic containers..
2d14kko.jpg

2qx85yh.jpg

10d72fm.jpg

^filling up the box.

made another upgrade by taking advantage of some light-socket-splitters lately (Y-splitter, for light bulbs).
16c2yw3.jpg

the increased heat from the lights was a concern despite that they're CFL lights, so i bought a 2$ thermometer. i was doing some calculations:

1 26W 6700K 1600lumen + two 13W 4100K("cool white") 800 lumen = 3200 lumen total spread out over a 0.15m^2 area (30cm x 50cm) = ~21,333 lux units. bright enough to be slightly blinding is bright enough to grow plants i`d say.

note:
all of the pics posted so far (except for the last one, which was taken on 3/31/2010),were taken on or before March 26.

i've since transplanted the whole communiity from the disarrono cup into a bigger transparent container with a little more soil:
34pi8lj.jpg

Updates from march 30:

2a7zuxy.jpg

^crowding experiment, 5 seeds in a jar planted sometime around march 4-10th. a bit after the disarrono cup experiment.
see how crowded they are? i decided to see if i could induce them to stretch under some incadescent kitchen lights over 2 days, and it worked:
2ijku9k.jpg

^look at the jar in the front, bottom right of pic. after 2 days of stretching under

a few days ago, a $9 laundry hamper i saw at a dollar store changed my life. dimensions are 14(l) x 14(w) x 25(h) inches. the cardboard growing chamber box that i was previously using had about the same area (it was 0.3m x 0.5m, roughly ~ a pc case) , but was less tall, probably 18 inches tall at most:
2daakqc.jpg

52W of CFL so far with minimal ventilation. no fans being used for airflow at this time. temps averaging between 29-35 degrees C at the moment.

the laundry hamper was my step towards committing towards this as a potential indoor grow. before the laundry hamper, i had considered this all just an experimental vegging space/experiment on growing cactus and wolfberries indoors.
a kind of a crowding competition experiment too.

i will be neglecting this growth chamber for 3 days over the course of this long weekend. flooded with their last drinking friday afternoon (yesterday afternoon), and then set on a 14/10 light schedule. will see them again on monday or tuesday (growing away from home) to see how they fair

in order to generate an element of suspense like a pro icmag micro-growing exhibitionist (or so i hope), i will wait to reveal the innards of my laundry hamper "cab" for the next series of pics. hope you've enjoyed viewing so far. if anyone's got any questions just ask.

i plan to feed with diluted organic-blackstrap-unsulphured-molasses and worm(compost)-juice.
may also use super-dilute Advanced Nutrients "Bud Blood" and "Big Bud" during flowering on half of the plants as an experiment.

also am supplementing with Dr.Hornby's "Pirrahna" (spelt that wrong dammit) and "Tarantula" Mycorrhizal and Beneficial-bacteria innoculants.

oh and the genetics:

-shiskeberry/shiskaberry (couldn't figure out which spelling is more official!?) bagseed (x2 in the container with all the leeks, onions, prickly pear cactus and wolfberry)
-mandala #1 (f2 from a not quite sensimilla outdoor grow last year)
-mandala #1 x unknown "lillooet" strain from cross pollinating with friend's male (F1?)
-early wonder skunk (most recently germinated seedlings ~ march 14-20)
-unidentified `lillooet` seeds

lamp-hill

thanks Marijuanasaur, that is the highest compliment i could recieve as a newb to indoor growing.

i must admit i've been having alot of fun with this experiment of mine lately. let's have a look at this laundry hamper soon-to-be cactus-growing chamber
35ckaiq.jpg
as you can see, it is a fairly unsuspecting object. but let's open it up and have a look inside...
o6wg7r.jpg

^lights held up by a $2 dish/towel rack (purchased from the same dollar store place as laundry hamper and thermometer) and a fancy paper-clip

f230xg.jpg

^yes, i am using the piece of card-paper that came with the laundry hamper as a reflector. satisfied with this ghetto light-reflector for the while being.
i like it because the backside (plain) is a semi-glossy flat white.

let's take a look at what's growing:
1zvyj4o.jpg

prickly pear cactus is the only cactus plant growing in here at the moment. seem to be really happy in there despite the crowded conditions of their container. id' like to get more CAM/C4 plants in here eventually.
got some wheatgrass growing with some oatgrass in the bottom left container there. i plan to ingest that wheat grass as a juice, yes. got a cat here who LOVES eating oat grass (the only vegetable he seems to consistently enjoy eating).

from top left to top right, to middle, then to bottom left to right :
row1--- 2x shiskeberry bagseed mixed with green onions etc., mandala#1 (F2 or F1 cross with "lilloet seeds", another "mandala#1", EWS,
row2---EWS, mixed jar plantation of 5 plants ("mandala #1", "lillooet" (the smallest, sativaish looking runt) and a single shishkeberry bagseed), some more lillooet seedlings mixed with an apple seedlings (which i may not intend to keep), EWS,
row3---more wolfberry/goji seedlings, EWS,
row4---wheatgrass+oatgrass+mandala#1+lillooet, some sort of unidentified pepper plant, an empty jar.

i found out that the bushy plant in the top left corner was a male today. may not let him live for that, unless i decide to produce a few seeds.

basspirate

Neato! That hamper is sweet. Kinda like a mini grow tent! Can't wait to see how everything turns out. It's cool when people use their micro gardens for a little bit of everything!

TheSg

Hey man!!
we can be Ic buddies now haha.
no names though... buahaha maniacal laughter is my favorite kind.

I'm going to try n' get more of these seeds for this year we should do some breeding?
let's work out some plans for a seed project together mon ami?

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
Great job!! What a cool idea..one thing you have to watch..roots don't like light..it kills them..maybe the other plants(so cool) are okay but bud roots don't like the lights..
keep up the great work bro!!!!!!!!!!

lamp-hill

thanks for the tip BC Chronic. i had learned of the fact after. i'll figure a way of making clothes for these containers. like right now, you've just made me realize, like in Genesis of the Holy Book of his Lord of the Christians, that, they're "nude", and that there was actually something wrong about it. i deliberately chose transparent containers to satisfy a root-observing fetish. and it does seem that prolonged exposure to bright light does brown the roots that are making contact with the container walls. gotta clothe those nude pots:redface:
Hey man!!

I'm going to try n' get more of these seeds for this year we should do some breeding?

sweet :bump: for sure. this reminds me that i have beautiful captive instrument that i must rescue. i started breeding by culling an early flowering shishkeberry male a couple days ago on a whim, to free up more light for the prickly pear cactus below.

and i also swapped the 6700K 26W UVB-emitting reptile/amphibian-light for a 23W 2700K "soft white" CFL light. the 2700K bulb is the lighting in the picture below.
2nlcxuw.jpg

and this 2nd pic. below shows the two 13W 4100K "cool white" as lighting
10rmiw3.jpg

that means this is no longer a 52W, but now a 49W grow..... with just light and a discontinuation of UVB radiation which had been constant for the past month. the light spectrum has now a lot more red to it.. it's visably more soft lighting, and easier on the eyes. i wonder if the plants will like it.

alot of leaves lately have started to look a bit bleached, and i'm wondering whether it was overdose of UV or light, or deficiency in N?

i decided to switch the light bulb since i happened to have this other one handy and already worn in.

i'm considering ventilating with a small fan as well. every time i open the lid now when it's warm in there, im greeted with a trace of skunkiness in the air, and i think it's coming from the early wonder skunks. thinking about those computer case fans. and maybe attempting to fix up an activated carbon fan-filter for smell-control.
a little bit of fresh flowing air would definilely benefit this grow, without a doubt. that means i'd have to change the title of this blog.

confession: i've also been guilty of over edxperimentation and non-committment to any sort of consistent light schedule. i've been putting them on 12-12 for days, then changing my mind and reverting to a 24/7 continuous thing, which seems to be too much light because i always notice some more leaf curling after about 3 days of continuous light. the green onion and leek seem to suffer especially, they start burning. and every time they get some rest in the random 12-12 schedules i throw at them, everyone seems to look happier. so i think i should stick with a light schedule, perhaps matching the current season. or something. i would have loved to have a 24/7 vegging chamber. hmm the problem is i'm still considering it. but having a dark period seems to make them grow or atleast stretch noticably faster. i believe that more red inn the light mix encourages stretching as well

TheSg

Hey man, so are you flowering those babies under a 12/12 cycle already?
thats super cool, I wonder how much bigger they could get though, would they blow your micro into a macro?
I really like how pro your setup looks even after getting all your supplies from the dollar store. PRO!
are you flowering everything in there?
early wonder skunks, shishkeberry, got any lilloette growing in there?
if not you should throw some in, I know you have a few, the more the merryer. err merrier
k peace.

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
yeah i'd say that those leaves are showing signs of nit def because it's on the lower level leaves (will spread upwards from the bottom if it's a def) if it were UV light issues you'd expect the most exposed leaves (top ones) would be affected more than the lower ones. so yeah just check ph, if that's fine then add some ferts high in N

lamp-hill

Hey man, so are you flowering those babies under a 12/12 cycle already?
thats super cool, I wonder how much bigger they could get though, would they blow your micro into a macro?
I really like how pro your setup looks even after getting all your supplies from the dollar store. PRO!
are you flowering everything in there?
early wonder skunks, shishkeberry, got any lilloette growing in there?
if not you should throw some in, I know you have a few, the more the merryer. err merrier
k peace.
sort of a 13-11 cycle, but not quite, as i keep intruding on their dark cycle to have my peaks (peeks?). which often ends up with me deciding they could use another couple hours of light or so.

i'm really trying to throw them onto a 12-12 in order to identify the eventual male and females. hoping the small container sizes will restrict their stretch. lot of them are 700mL jars. from the look of some of the 12-12 straight from seed grows that i saw people posting pics of in this forum, grown in beer-cups, and pop cans,, the relative sizes of the plants in those pics i've seen gives me confidence i'll be able to finish some plants in this 2 foot tall hamper., also, those fucking PC-case micros. i thought, well, if people can cram them to that extreme, this spacious hamper shouldn't be that challenging?

oh and i have got 4 of the pure-lillooets going, possibly more. 2 in the same jar (the smallest seedlings in the most recent pic posted), 1 is in the jar with 3 other plants, some are hidden in the grass which i should really thin out for them. in addition, all of the mandala seeds i planted in here may have had some lillooette genes crossed into them too

if they do get too big there's always the possibility of cracking open the jars and transplanting them somewhere under the sun:). however i'm really curious to see how potent and how much yield of buds may finish with this extra CFL wattage, compared with the buds under the single desk-lamp T-dawg was growing with. then again, there's always winter. veg-chamber or micro grow... is still a question.

lamp-hill

im growing EWS too!
nice to know! are you planning on flowering them under continuous 24/7 light? (i considered it just because i heard they would autoflower even under 24/7 ligght) what light schedule are you vegging them under? mine have been under a mixture of light cycles.... but on average, i'd say about 16-8 light so far from seed.

Cover the roots with something.
i have. for most of them. next time i post pics it'll be evident.
yeah i'd say that those leaves are showing signs of nit def because it's on the lower level leaves (will spread upwards from the bottom if it's a def) if it were UV light issues you'd expect the most exposed leaves (top ones) would be affected more than the lower ones. so yeah just check ph, if that's fine then add some ferts high in N
alwqays good to get advice from a Huxley. i've fed most of the plants showing yellowing leaves with some worm juice a few days ago. they definitely started getting greener. it might have been an N deficiency. however, some pictures i saw through some researching led me to believe that it might have also been a K deficiency combined. appreciate your input. i defintely didn't think the UV burn theory through as well. i may throw that light back in there now, it was kind of intensely bright... i liked it.

lamp-hill

4/16/2010
update on the cacti:
1oszyh.jpg

the former yellowing plants which i decided to feed worm (compost) juice to, as a reaction to all the urging nitrogen suggestions, well, those plants have greened up significantly since the last picture update. the ones i dind't feed lagged in growth. so it was some nute deficiencies for sure, have a look:
2efqlcm.jpg

4/18/2010
haven't watered.
for some reason the EWS appear the most stressed out of the whole bunch.
2mxomex.jpg

^also, overnight since this picture was taken, i re-installed the UV-emitting 6700K fullspectrum reptile/amphibian CFL bulb.

4/19/2010
x4krjs.jpg

^explosive growth by that fat-leaved newly popped Mandala#1 F2 (xlillooet F1?) seeding. possibly because it was situated directly under the hottest 26W 6700K UV bulb?

oh i've temporarily over-watted my grow to 62W. (single 13W 4100K + single 23W 2700k + single 26W UVB 6700K) still no ventilation. but considering getting some pc fans real soon, may need to change thread title then. i think ventilation would benefit this grow greatly.

TheSg

I think those lilloette's are a genetic mesh of generations passed, the phenotypes are soo widely vast they must have some weird highly variable gene's.
hm, I got a lot of hope for this crop man looks really promising!
is it hard growing those cacti and goji seedlings, they are looking more n' more scrumptious to me ha.
have a gooden Lamp-hill
your pics just make me happy when I see the varying plants all clustered in a happy little nice niche of there own.
Beautiful work

lamp-hill

hey thanks Sg! yeah these lillooettes are definitely some wildcards!
i'm waiting on some lilloetts and mand#1F2/M#1xLillooets to sprout at the moment. and 2 shishkeberries. ever since the male massacre that occured a few days ago, the chamber has been looking too thinned out for my liking.

the first 2 shiskeberries and first 4 EWS plants i grew out all turned out to be males. only one of each is still alive. i'm going to try planting the currently germinating seeds that i'll want to flower in this "cab" in slightly bigger containers to see if that will yield less males. i got some 2 L drink cartons ("tetra pack?") that i'm considering because they're square, which would maximize space-usage... but i'm kind of addicted to the whole transparent pots with removable light shields, just because none of the containers have drainage and the transparency helps with judging how much to water.

the goji seedlings seem to be quite fragile and slow growing. for that reason i'd say they;re a difficult grow. tiny seeds.

the prickly pear cactus from seeds, on the other hand, are growing much faster than any of the goji seedlings. they seem pretty determined on growing into real cactus. i think one of them's starting to flower with pink buds already, and it's not even an inch tall. took some time to germinate, but once they did, they were practically effortless to grow .

update on the grow:
i bought a few PC fans to get some airflow for the hamper
largely inspired by this tutorial http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=86726 that Pig-pen posted, i'm currently building a micro-scrub/exhaust vent using a yogurt tin and a panty hose with activated carbon and a 120mm computer fan.

my most current dillemma is in choosing where to cut out an exhaust hole for the scrub. the intake will be located at the top, simply in the form of leaks due to the imperfect "lid" of the laundry hamper. eventually once i've got an exhaust micro-scrub going, i plan on stretching out a t-shirt/cloth under the hamper lid as a "dust filter". do i want the carbon-scrubber to pull air out from the top or from the bottom of the chamber? the scrubber will be within the hamper, sacrificing some space, as i'd like to keep it in shape and self-contained despite cutting a hole into it for exhaust. i am worried about losing space for plant height potential. hmmm..
advice? all suggestions will be considered.

oh and i'd like to change the title of this thread. remove the words "w/out ventilation" as i've changed my mind and decided i need some airflow in here. how can i?

F

feral

Hey man!!

what strain is that?

Latest posts

Latest posts