What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Micro Carbon Filter; Cheap, Easy and Quick.

Pig-Pen

Here's one for the Micro's. :headbange

This is based on an Atrium Grate from the hardware store, outdoor plumbing. They come in a range of sizes, 3", 4", 6", etc. The one pictured is 3". This is perfect for veg or dryer boxes, or PC-sized bloom boxes. For larger and/or stinkier applications you can easily "T"-together 2 or more using fittings from the HDWR store.

Takes only a few minutes and no real tools. :jump:

What you need:

- Atrium Grate
- single legging, the cheap ones that come in the "eggs" are perfect.
- zip tie, or two
- a few ounces (for the 3") activated carbon.

Total cost, ~ $10 :headbange (using a 3", they get more expensive as they get bigger.)

- scissors, fingernail clippers, snips or whatever to trim the zip-ties.
- a length of Duct or Foil (I prefer Foil tape) to mount it.

It's self explanatory but I'll walk you through it anyhow. :dance:

Arrange your things out in front of you, such as this....

Now stick the Grate down into the stocking, (or pull the stocking over the grate :bashhead:) as such....

Apply zip-ties just under the flange

Trim.

Pull the stocking back over the grate (or pull the grate out of the stocking..).... be careful not to snag and start a run on the edges of the zip-ties you just trimmed. You may want to put a piece of tape over it/them. Or just be careful.

Pour some carbon in, work it around and even it out. Add more as needed and keep working until you have a good, even 1/2" or so layer. Tie the stocking off and trim.

I should add that before you tie it off, you need to pull the stocking as tight as you can get it. This tension will allow it to keep it's shape for the most part, otherwise it will just sag downward. This is also why you need to use zip-ties or a hose clamp; if you use rubber bands or anything flexible it will come right off when you are giving it the "final tensioning".

You can use larger zip ties, obviously, so you only have to use one. Or you could even use metal hose claps or electrical tape or twine, so long as it doesn't slip over the flange.

From the inside....

Tape it up and yer done! :jump:

Last edited:

Mr_Micro

Very clever design! :D if it works well and doesnt resrict airflow too much than I very well might implement this design on my next PC case growbox build! So thanks much for sharing this design with us, it seems even easier than Suga Bear's design and looks like it would be just as effective.

Excellent work Pig-Pen :smoke:

minigreens

thanks for sharing man, looks clean and simple

i cutoff the end of a skinny 12pack (the fridge friendly long ones, fit nice and snug over my 120mm fan) and then cut holmes activated carbon filter to size, then sealed it with some silicon on the back side and tape on the front. you can see it on the upper left corner.

Pig-Pen

Mr_Micro said:
Very clever design! :D if it works well and doesnt resrict airflow too much than I very well might implement this design on my next PC case growbox build! So thanks much for sharing this design with us, it seems even easier than Suga Bear's design and looks like it would be just as effective.

Excellent work Pig-Pen :smoke:

Thanks.

It does work well and it doesn't restrict airflow much at all. Of course you can vary this somewhat by how thick you lay it up. :yes:

jmn2dmb

Minigreens have you tried flowering anything with that design, i've found the filter pads to be basically useless for filtering out odor, for light and dust its great but nothing else imho.... :/

Mr_Micro

jmn2dmb said:
Minigreens have you tried flowering anything with that design, i've found the filter pads to be basically useless for filtering out odor, for light and dust its great but nothing else imho.... :/

Agreed, I too learned this the hard way when I was originally trying out carbon filter designs. In my first PC case growbox I was using a pad design like Minigreens's until about halfway through flowering some very funky Skunk #1 was absolutely unaffected by the pad filter. It nearly got me busted when I walked in the front door of my apartment building and you could smell the funk from the skunk all the way from the entry way to the building!

After that I switched to a Can 705 filter for my bigger micro grow box and home made filter designs like Suga Bear II's and Pig Pen's for the smaller boxes and I havn't had an odor problem since. So yeah, if you can I highly suggest in the interest of your own safety ditching the filter pad and going with a design like Suga Bear or Pig Pen's, or just chalk out for a Can 705 filter if you have the space and money for one :smoke:

Last edited:
Hey, nice tutorial. I was just asking about these designs last night, I wanted to know how well these kind of filters work? Is there anyone (besides Mr. Micro :) that can testify as to the effectiveness of these filters, when used with powerful 12cm PC fans?

Pig-Pen

minigreens said:
whoa thanks for the tip guys, i'll get on that

Yeah, those carbon pads will do nothing for you. There's simply not enough carbon nor surface area for them to be effective for our needs.
:wave:

minigreens

hey pig-pen:
is that activated carbon you have the stuff they sell at wal-mart? i looked at it tonight and it looked like small grainy stuff... i was under the impression that its better to have the bigger chunks?

Pig-Pen

minigreens said:
hey pig-pen:
is that activated carbon you have the stuff they sell at wal-mart? i looked at it tonight and it looked like small grainy stuff... i was under the impression that its better to have the bigger chunks?

Yep. The smaller grainy stuff is better, you get exponentially more surface area than with largerer, smooth "pellets". :yes:

BluDiE

Pig-Pen said:
Anyone bother to make one of these yet?
I haven't yet, because I am in the middle of my logistics for the box I am looking to build, but I will be using this design, cause it seems quite ingenious!

Horticultivator

So, carbon scrubbers, what is their basic function, to neutralise the air being extracted from the growing area via a fan and ducting? Have never used one before, do you need them to be attached to ducting and a fan for them to work? What I need is something that will soak up or capture the smell in my grow box, I have a pc fan operating in there but using ducting is out of the question at the moment, its just circulating air and I open it up for a while once every day to let in oxygen. Is there anything available that doesnt have to be attached to a fan or the like? Thanks :)

BluDiE

Horticultivator said:
So, carbon scrubbers, what is their basic function, to neutralise the air being extracted from the growing area via a fan and ducting? Have never used one before, do you need them to be attached to ducting and a fan for them to work? What I need is something that will soak up or capture the smell in my grow box, I have a pc fan operating in there but using ducting is out of the question at the moment, its just circulating air and I open it up for a while once every day to let in oxygen. Is there anything available that doesnt have to be attached to a fan or the like? Thanks :)

You are right about what they do. Their function is to neutralize the air from your grow box so there should be no smell. There are square filters you can put over your fan, that are supposed to remove the odor, but from what I have been reading, they don't work to well. I have read that you can take one of the cheap $10 "waterfalls" that you can buy at most malls, and add Pine-Sol to it, and it will eliminate the odor, or at least cover it with Pine-Soly goodness. However, from what I have read, Activated Carbon is the way to go, since it is cheap and, depending on the size of the chips you get(or if your willing to bust them up with a hammer) it will fit just about anywhere.

I actually made one of these using a 6" Atrium grate, a 6" inline fan duct booster from Home Depot that pushes 250cfms... and hooked her up to my current PC Case... Works like a CHARM! Coupled with my current exhaust from the case my temps are a stable 10-12* above ambient :)

Thanks for the build Pig-Pen! It's awesome! I love it!

minigreens

MushuHappiness said:
I actually made one of these using a 6" Atrium grate, a 6" inline fan duct booster from Home Depot that pushes 250cfms... and hooked her up to my current PC Case... Works like a CHARM! Coupled with my current exhaust from the case my temps are a stable 10-12* above ambient :)

Thanks for the build Pig-Pen! It's awesome! I love it!

hey mushu how is the noise on that duct booster? i saw one like it and it was rated at 50 dB

Latest posts

Latest posts