What's new

500+ out: High Desert guerilla growing Vol.2

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
awesome display FP

i wish we had a climate like yours but we do pretty good up here also if we put enough work into it

the BDW videos and threads like this made me go big this year with a 1000+ plant grow with different strains and crosses inside danish corn fields
probably around 1200 as i hope to harvest 800 females with a bit of luck
that should get me i nice pile of kief i can turn into hash

good luck on your vol 3
ill be watching

hazy

Veteran
Fast Pine, you are insane. major kudos to you for the amount of work you put into it. Keep it safe.

johnyhash

Cannabis Connoisseur
ICMag Donor
Thanks a lot for sharing, you have provided a lot of inspiration over here. Have a great year.

still2big

Wonderful post and he is the one that made me say fuck it and go big or go home...

cant wait to see what he is up to this year!!

S

SmokeMan

that was a good read. I recommend anyone who anyone who has not read vol1 to go and read vol1. What a journey. I hope there is still going to be a VOL3 .

.clunk

Wow, very impressive FP. Being in the mountains of western Canada, we have somewhat lower elevations to you but similiar growing seasons. Our "cut-off" is only at around 4500', although I've seen a few venture to higher elevations with poor results. I'm not sure if this was a result of strain selection or other variables...

I've never ventured into higher elevation, but I've always thought it was possible in my area. Most of the low elevation mountainside in my area is already thick with dope and laden with waterline...sometimes it's impossible to scope a new spot because someone has already set up shop there, or you cross waterlines at the creek...and of course, this means more helicopters and heat. While everyone is pretty respectful and there's generally no problems, it would be nice to get up into some higher elevation (4500'-5000') spots with a little more isolation. You've given me new hope!

I came across the info when I first read your thread, but don't want to sift through 12 pages of info to find it again...was wondering if you could let me know what your planting/harvest dates generally are and what the lows are when you plant/when you harvest.
Thanks and best of luck in 09!!

antimatter

Veteran
Wow, very impressive FP. Being in the mountains of western Canada, we have somewhat lower elevations to you but similiar growing seasons. Our "cut-off" is only at around 4500', although I've seen a few venture to higher elevations with poor results. I'm not sure if this was a result of strain selection or other variables...

I've never ventured into higher elevation, but I've always thought it was possible in my area. Most of the low elevation mountainside in my area is already thick with dope and laden with waterline...sometimes it's impossible to scope a new spot because someone has already set up shop there, or you cross waterlines at the creek...and of course, this means more helicopters and heat. While everyone is pretty respectful and there's generally no problems, it would be nice to get up into some higher elevation (4500'-5000') spots with a little more isolation. You've given me new hope!

I came across the info when I first read your thread, but don't want to sift through 12 pages of info to find it again...was wondering if you could let me know what your planting/harvest dates generally are and what the lows are when you plant/when you harvest.

good question, I know exactly where and what your talking about and would like to know the answer also..

onegreenday

Veteran
for desert growers

for desert growers

I found this concerning low humidity (desert) areas.

Cannabinoids and environmental stress
Desiccation

THC is a viscous hydrophobic oil (Garrett and Hunt 1974) that resists crystallization (Gaoni and Mechoulam 1971) and is of low volatility (Adams et al. 1941). Since the sticky resins produced and exuded on the surface of the plant are varying combinations of THC, other cannabinoids and a variety of terpenes, they can be seen as analogous to the waxy coatings of the cacti and other succulents that serve as a barrier to water loss in dry environments.

Bouquet (1950) has mentioned that the western side of Lebanon's mountainous Cannabis growing areas is less favorable for resin production because of humid sea winds. De Faubert Maunder (1976) also observed that the copious separable resin needed for hashish production occurs only "in a belt passing from Morocco eastwards, taking in the Mediterranean area, Arabia, the Indian sub-continent and ending in Indo-China." These are mostly areas notable for their sparse rainfall, low humidity and sunny climate. Is it merely coincidence that resin is produced according to this pattern, as well?

Are you desert growers finding increased resin production from growing
in the dry desert climate, over say Humboldt grown? thanks

Fast_Pine

...was wondering if you could let me know what your planting/harvest dates generally are and what the lows are when you plant/when you harvest.

Thanks for the kind words.

Typicaly I plan my first round out on May 20. I do this mainly because planting any earlier would trigger some of the early's to bloom ya know..

At about 6000' I could get em out late April if frost was the only concern..
Plus, with the intense thunderstorms we get, I prefer medium size plants that stand strong over tall trees that snap and break in the high wind.

Around 7000' and the last frost may pop up as late as first coupple weeks of May.

8000' and above is mainly late season mini territory, with super early's.(auto's would be ideal)..as the first frost can come as early as Sept 1.....

Harv3st dates...

6000'....Oct 15,, Give or take a week.

7000'... Sept 30,,"

8000'....Depending on microclimate ...Early September.

Temps...

Wont put anything(especially cuttings) out until its a steady 40 degree low. I find seedlings to be able to stand a cold transplant better than clones for some reason?

Typicaly im harvesting things that have had a coupple light frosts..Adds color and resin. and with little threat of mold, why not.

Fast_Pine

I found this concerning low humidity (desert) areas.

Cannabinoids and environmental stress
Desiccation

THC is a viscous hydrophobic oil (Garrett and Hunt 1974) that resists crystallization (Gaoni and Mechoulam 1971) and is of low volatility (Adams et al. 1941). Since the sticky resins produced and exuded on the surface of the plant are varying combinations of THC, other cannabinoids and a variety of terpenes, they can be seen as analogous to the waxy coatings of the cacti and other succulents that serve as a barrier to water loss in dry environments.

Bouquet (1950) has mentioned that the western side of Lebanon's mountainous Cannabis growing areas is less favorable for resin production because of humid sea winds. De Faubert Maunder (1976) also observed that the copious separable resin needed for hashish production occurs only "in a belt passing from Morocco eastwards, taking in the Mediterranean area, Arabia, the Indian sub-continent and ending in Indo-China." These are mostly areas notable for their sparse rainfall, low humidity and sunny climate. Is it merely coincidence that resin is produced according to this pattern, as well?

Are you desert growers finding increased resin production from growing
in the dry desert climate, over say Humboldt grown? thanks

When I first got into outdoor growing, I was mentored by a older gent, guy was a botanist and did a coupple large out's when he was younger..He told me about how the quality will be outstanding(if done right). He was smoking out of a chilum and speaking of it as if it were " high mountain fruit"...

Ive never grown outdoors in any other environment, so I cant say that I have personal experience with the same strain in the humid climates versus the dry ones..and have had a lasting respect for the true Caliguerilla's, so it would be very hard for me to say that my state can produce better than them, ya know..

I can say that with all the intense sun we get at these altitudes, all the ladies have to protect thenselves with is resin..Resin sunblock so to speak. Helps with density, and yield aswell. Day after day of bright desert sunshine!
I love the desert southwest.

.....................................................................................

Vol. 3 is around the next bend...

Ive never worked this hard in my life. never been this focused. Pushing myself past mental and physical boundaries..

antimatter

Veteran
High Elevations Western Canada!

Just went up high and checked and at about 4500 ft its freezing cold and a good 2 months behind compared to 2000 ft, and there is still snow on the ground in places.. not so good for growing I expect there to be random frost all throughout the season, 4000 ft wasn't much better, I would put the cut off at somewhere between 3500-4000 ft. I always find myself wearing a long sleeve shirt or sweater in the middle of summer at 4000+ ft its cold, you get tree flagging, stunted plants etc.

jakezking

FastPine, dude.... Your 2008 grow was INSANE! I can't wait to see what you have going on this year. A good friend of mine grows in the high desert, and he inspired me to get goin' outdoors. Once you pop, you can't stop! I'm in my 2d year of outdoorin', and it's awesome - of course, not even a fraction of your operation, but baby steps, right?

I hope all's well with you out there, my friend - keep on keepin' on!

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i like hardworking men with large scale grows
your have honestly earned every bit of the harvest that comes from all the sweat and tears

always impressive grows
cant wait for the v3

.clunk

Just went up high and checked and at about 4500 ft its freezing cold and a good 2 months behind compared to 2000 ft, and there is still snow on the ground in places.. not so good for growing I expect there to be random frost all throughout the season, 4000 ft wasn't much better, I would put the cut off at somewhere between 3500-4000 ft. I always find myself wearing a long sleeve shirt or sweater in the middle of summer at 4000+ ft its cold, you get tree flagging, stunted plants etc.

depends where in western canada mountains you are I suppose and also the aspect, although I agree that 3900' and below is alot more feasable and productive, in the southeast of BC anyways.
I live at 2000' elevation and the mountains around rise steeply so anywhere between 2000' to 4000' is pretty normal. Normal yields are around 1/4lb per and up although I don't hear about much more than 1/2lb per.

4500' is definately the upper reaches though, the plot that I visited at this elevation was definately farther behind than others although the growers had water problems with creeks running out, bears chewing lines etc so it's hard to know if it was the elevation or the lack of water. In the end they got a little over 2oz per but since they put out hundreds and hundreds of small clones they actually had a pretty succesful year. They are going higher next season and using a few different techniques and strains along with a better water source they can only improve.

Sorry to derail your thread Fast Pine, I got baked and started typing haha. Thanks for the info you gave and I'm looking forward to seeing your 09!

antimatter

Veteran
depends where in western canada mountains you are I suppose and also the aspect, although I agree that 3900' and below is alot more feasable and productive, in the southeast of BC anyways.
I live at 2000' elevation and the mountains around rise steeply so anywhere between 2000' to 4000' is pretty normal. Normal yields are around 1/4lb per and up although I don't hear about much more than 1/2lb per.

4500' is definately the upper reaches though, the plot that I visited at this elevation was definately farther behind than others although the growers had water problems with creeks running out, bears chewing lines etc so it's hard to know if it was the elevation or the lack of water. In the end they got a little over 2oz per but since they put out hundreds and hundreds of small clones they actually had a pretty succesful year. They are going higher next season and using a few different techniques and strains along with a better water source they can only improve.

Sorry to derail your thread Fast Pine, I got baked and started typing haha. Thanks for the info you gave and I'm looking forward to seeing your 09!

2oz isn't to bad, I wouldn't mind going up to 5000-6000 feet where the vegetation isn't so thick but that might be a bit overkill, definitely a later season grow if it was ever to happen.

Fast_Pine

testing....testing

Attachments

• Early may 09. Rafting 051.jpg
    Early may 09. Rafting 051.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 11
G

guest5703

well looky who I found here! Right on fast pine great to see ya! Good luck to this years adventure, seems you are already starting off on a good note with those seeds??? I wanna say clones but they look like seedlings? Right on brotha! Can't wait to see this years harvest fest, keep it green buddy!!! PEACE