What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

4th grow in Promix - I still suck - Help

Jonnysact

Will definitely let her dry out completely to try and give the roots a break. Once dried out, is it recommended to do a quarter feed or should i continue with just PH'ed water?

Also MrBungle, if you had a plant with root issues, what would be your solution?

MrBungle

I kinda gleaned my method from fox farm... their big bloom is the main part of their formula... they suggest to feed stressed plants big bloom as a sort of root tonic... which is mostly sea kelp an rock phosphate and micros....all of which are root enhancers...

I make my own solutions so I bump the P a little bit in my formula (everything else is already in the formula).... in one of my earlier post I suggested using some flowering nutes as a way to bump up your P... it will give your roots some energy.... (of course wait until they need to fed/watered)

Jonnysact

I'm still not 100% sure if they need feed on their next watering. It seems the plants that bounced back did so with just ph'ed water with nothing new being added to their medium. I'm wondering if the same thing can happen with my purple plant, or if, perhaps, giving her a slight bit of bloom feed might be just what she needs to get the P up. Maybe a quarter strength?

MrBungle

stick with whats working for your happy girls.... only give your unhappy one the flower nutes... as far as strengths go... when I used bottles I'd go half strength for light feeding... So thats up to you if you'd like to try 1/4.. to take it easy....

I'm more of a push it to the limits kinda guy. but thats just me :D

Obsidian

Veteran
just a guess, but do you see microscopic flyer in your room?

check your soil close, because what you have does not look like a nute issue, you look like you have ROOT APHIDS.

The damage you have is totally consistant with RA, the DEVIL BUG!!!

what you are doing will cause the same recovery issues when you have the RA, this is just an obsevation, and I could be wrong, but 99% 0f the time I'm not, you have ROOT APHID and not a nute issue.
Just another door for you to check, thousands have gone through what you are doing only to find the dreaded RA.

problem with RA is the have close to a dozen life stages and at any one of them they can be dormant in that stage for as long as they choose it seems, because they can morph at will from a grub to a flyer, and there are no set parameters for them to hatch, and morph.

They are tiny most everyone dismisses them as fungal gnats, then it's to late.

The damage your plant are exhibiting is Exactly like RA damage not a nute def.

so many people go the nute def way, and then just when things get the way you think, a bit of greening, then meltdown your plant dies.

just something to think about, I could be wrong, in fact I hope I am.

But your plants tell me otherwise after my 40yrs+ of growing.

I highly doubt you have a Nute Issue!

just saying, be observant.

oh yeah, up the size of your plant pots, they are to small and stressing the plants making a perfect nursery for bugs to grow and infect your grow area.

Jonnysact

Hey Obsidian, thank you for the input!

I will keep an eye out for any bugs. I do magnifying glass and i don't see anything in my soil at the moment, but will keep checking. I hope it's not them! lol

I am running a micro grow and am limited in space. These near 1 gallon pots are as big as I can go. A great solution would be to find larger pots with custom sizes and shapes to maximize the root space, but alas, I have yet to find the perfect way to do this. As you'll see in my images below, there is plenty of space in the "pc grow box" box to have a longer pot, but no space for it to be taller or wider.

Here are some of my previous grows to show you what type of space I'm working with as well as pot sizes (fyi, nothing really to do with this thread)

TGIcS7e.png

XbXYbal.jpg

0ncfL5O.png

y4EuLhH.jpg

Granger2

Veteran
If they still aren't green and healthy, they still need feed. I think it's unlikely you have RA's because of the response you've gotten from upping your feed. If you want to be sure, lay 1" thick pieces of raw potato on the soil surface. Check underside daily for a couple of weeks. BTW, Pro mix comes with dolomite added. Good luck. -granger

Jonnysact

Good morning everyone.

Monday update:

My baby was bone dry so I gave her a little watering:

Water In
PH 7.1
160ppm

Runoff
PH 5.8
500ppm

I really didn't think that, since the medium had only been watered twice, I'd have such a salt buildup that my PH would take such a dive, especially since the promix has dolomite lime in it already. On my other plant, I had to flush the medium 5-8 times with 8.5 PH to get the runoff in the mid 6's. I can't do this to a seedling. Should my next watering be closer to 8.5 going in?

rvIC0FI.jpg

Bwanabud

sensory overload:
noun

1)a condition of receiving too much information or stimulation via visual or audio sources; over stimulation of one or more senses
2)occurs when one or more of the body's senses experiences. over-stimulation from the environment. There are many environmental elements that impact an individual. Examples of these elements are urbanization, crowding, noise, mass media, technology, and the explosive growth of information.

Just ignore this like my other posts, best wishes :tiphat:

sensory overload:
noun

1)a condition of receiving too much information or stimulation via visual or audio sources; over stimulation of one or more senses
2)occurs when one or more of the body's senses experiences. over-stimulation from the environment. There are many environmental elements that impact an individual. Examples of these elements are urbanization, crowding, noise, mass media, technology, and the explosive growth of information.

Just ignore this like my other posts, best wishes :tiphat:

lol i feel the same way. im onto another thread too.:wave:

Jonnysact

Hey Frostqueen, I have thank you and my plants are doing much better because of the great help and suggestions offered by the members.

I'll let them do their thing for a little bit and post when there is something new coming up!

Jonnysact

Alright, not so much an update as I just wanted to say that my plants are looking FANTASTIC thanks to everyone's input. So grateful for the help, really am.

Do I understand Dolomite Lime correctly? It's in my promix and from reading I am under the impression that Pro-mix, being peat based, is acidic by nature and thus, will have a runoff lower than what's put in (besides ferts). BUT, as the medium dries out, dolomite lime raises the Ph of the medium to allow the plant to take the necessary nutes required for growth? (which is why Darth asked if i had amended with Dolomite Lime)

If that's true, then it would make sense how, even though I watered with 7.1 and had a runoff much lower, that as it dries out the plant will get the nutrient it needs along the way. *** Which is why, in my mind, it makes sense that if a medium is "overwatered" that since the medium never gets the time to dry out, not only does the plant drown a bit and, but the medium never gets a chance to raise in PH and thus lockouts happen along with other nasty things.

Is this correct? If so I feel much better about what's going on along with my understanding of what the plants are going through.

Redbuddz

Hay All

I found this thread to be very informative, especially monitoring the run-off ph. Something I will start to monitor

I do have one question in regards to ph and run-off. Does anyone think that which type of ph up/down is used can effect the run-off #'s

Keep on Growin Ya'll

Redbuddz

I use advanced, very carefully, dont get it in your eyes, theyll melt

6 weeks into my 2nd run with sunshine 4 trying to run it as mediumless, not sure what I was thinking, quality is there but I can tell yield is still off. Wont be using it again in this way.

Tynehead Tom

Alright, not so much an update as I just wanted to say that my plants are looking FANTASTIC thanks to everyone's input. So grateful for the help, really am.

Do I understand Dolomite Lime correctly? It's in my promix and from reading I am under the impression that Pro-mix, being peat based, is acidic by nature and thus, will have a runoff lower than what's put in (besides ferts). BUT, as the medium dries out, dolomite lime raises the Ph of the medium to allow the plant to take the necessary nutes required for growth? (which is why Darth asked if i had amended with Dolomite Lime)

If that's true, then it would make sense how, even though I watered with 7.1 and had a runoff much lower, that as it dries out the plant will get the nutrient it needs along the way. *** Which is why, in my mind, it makes sense that if a medium is "overwatered" that since the medium never gets the time to dry out, not only does the plant drown a bit and, but the medium never gets a chance to raise in PH and thus lockouts happen along with other nasty things.

Is this correct? If so I feel much better about what's going on along with my understanding of what the plants are going through.

I'm curious about something here.
the soilless mix you have , is it preloaded with nutrients? or is it the standard stuff with no nutes added.
I am thinking that if it is the mix that is preloaded with nutrients, this is why you are getting confusing readings and not the results yer after.
I would highly advise just getting straight up promix HP, it doesn't have base nutes added, or sunshine 4. Standard Promix comes in a standard media and a version with a bunch more perlite added but again, no base nutes.

Dolomite lime comes in a bunch of grain sizes. The pellet size is too large for the average indoor garner unless you are growing trees year round. The soilless mix farmer needs xtra fine powdered dolomite for plants immediate use and fine dolomite lime for a mix that will be in the pot for 3 to 6 months.
others can chime in and correct me here as I'm just going of memory, I'm not, or haven't proved myself to be a pro gardner LOL at least not here anyways.

Whenever I mix my sunshine 4 in batches for repotting , I'm adding 1 cup fine powdered dolomite lime to every 25 gallons of soilless mix. I dunno if that's what others us but it has worked very well for me both indoors and out. Outdoors I also add the pellet form dolomite along with the fine powder.

anyhow, dunno if that helps you, hope yer get yer garden dialed in :dance013:

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
TRY pRO mIX HPCC and use a coco nute system. Even better yet, mix it w pure coco. The other formulas are not that great for cannabis. IMHO

Jonnysact

I'm curious about something here.
the soilless mix you have , is it preloaded with nutrients? or is it the standard stuff with no nutes added.
I am thinking that if it is the mix that is preloaded with nutrients, this is why you are getting confusing readings and not the results yer after.
I would highly advise just getting straight up promix HP, it doesn't have base nutes added, or sunshine 4. Standard Promix comes in a standard media and a version with a bunch more perlite added but again, no base nutes.

Dolomite lime comes in a bunch of grain sizes. The pellet size is too large for the average indoor garner unless you are growing trees year round. The soilless mix farmer needs xtra fine powdered dolomite for plants immediate use and fine dolomite lime for a mix that will be in the pot for 3 to 6 months.
others can chime in and correct me here as I'm just going of memory, I'm not, or haven't proved myself to be a pro gardner LOL at least not here anyways.

Whenever I mix my sunshine 4 in batches for repotting , I'm adding 1 cup fine powdered dolomite lime to every 25 gallons of soilless mix. I dunno if that's what others us but it has worked very well for me both indoors and out. Outdoors I also add the pellet form dolomite along with the fine powder.

anyhow, dunno if that helps you, hope yer get yer garden dialed in :dance013:

I think you are absolutely right here. I am running a Pro mix that has nutrients in it. I will, absolutely, no question run a different pro mix my next grow. Unforunately pro mix HP isn't available at my local store and the only BX they sell are in huge bails that I would not have place to store :( Have to look for options.

But I'd still like to know: Does dolomite Lime slowly raise the PH of the medium as it dries out? Thus a watering @6.8, with a runoff of 5.8 will allow the plants to take what it needs as the medium dries out?

Jonnysact

TRY pRO mIX HPCC and use a coco nute system. Even better yet, mix it w pure coco. The other formulas are not that great for cannabis. IMHO

The only reason I'm hesitant to go to any pure coco systems is that it will require that I water more frequently than I may have time to do so. Especially when I have jobs that can take me up to 3 days away from them at any given time.

I need to go to my grow shop and see if they can help me find a smaller quantity of Pro Mix HP or BX (I'll add my own perlite)

Latest posts

Latest posts