What's new

4Kw - LA Confidential - Coco drip - Scrog

Morning,

@theother

Yes three weeks, two weeks of water only is what i feel is the least amount of time needed. I first started growing all organic super soils
and earth juice.

The largest difference between the two is that synthetic compounds have a longer life inside the plant tissue. Example in a pot with promix hp, I could water with earth juice or any organic fertilizer full strength. The next watering, only water. A few days post the second water the plant will start showing some deficiencies. Compared to the same genetic in pro-mix with synthetic nutrients. The synthetic plant might take two or three water onlys to show a deficiency.
Point: Cannabis plants assimilate synthetics easier and hold onto synthetic nutrients longer, a longer "flush" is needed to get that organic taste.

I never increase the water amount or frequency I just switch to water only. So I wouldn't consider this a flush but more like titration.

Mg and N somehow locks/withhold/prevents the essential oils from really standing out. If you leave bloom boosters or high amounts of molasses then a joint might not burn as
white as it could. P and K are also an interference in burn-ability and taste.

If you snap a branch off at peak nutrient strength and taste the juice coming out it should have a slightly bitter taste. After
you flush or lower the nutrients for a bit you will see that the bitterness has subsided.

When you read on the forums you will see people's belief that certain nutrients leave a "taste." This should also support the reason
for the long flush.

@redlaser & Gardening Angel: Thank you
@Schrews: The smell and taste are top notch. Thanks for stopping by.

Evening,

Everything is still running well with no complaints. My basement 3 ton decided to stop working last night, so lets keep those fingers crossed things continue to go well up here.

If anyone has a recommendation on a entry level (cheap/est) Dslr that does photos and video please let me know. Or do you think an Iphone or Galaxy is the way to go?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2cpluf_la-confidential-week-4-flower_lifestyle

Attachments

• close light.jpg
    close light.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 6
  • close.jpg
    close.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 5
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 4
  • side 1.jpg
    side 1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 6
  • side light.jpg
    side light.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 4

theother

Bummer about the ac man! You got a replacement coming or can that one be fixed? Installing the minis is pretty fucking complicated but so far for me when once they run it's non stop. Might be able to get a new compressor or PC board or whatever broke.

No input on the DSLR but it will be interesting to hear what others say. That is something I would love to start working on.

I was thinking of installing some ceiling incandescents or fluorescents so I can photograph and see the plants in consistent true lighting. Anyone have any input on what spectrum would be best to examine and photograph in?

@theother

I'm also guessing the compressor went out, I've already replaced the fan motor and the board. One great thing about living in the D is you can find just about anything for cheap. I already had a 3 ton on standby, we're getting that installed today.

I think we're on the same page. Hopefully before this grow is over I'll have some information for us about the lighting and a decent camera.

theother

@theother

I'm also guessing the compressor went out, I've already replaced the fan motor and the board. One great thing about living in the D is you can find just about anything for cheap. I already had a 3 ton on standby, we're getting that installed today.

I think we're on the same page. Hopefully before this grow is over I'll have some information for us about the lighting and a decent camera.

Sounds good man, glad to hear your on top of shit. That Is an unanticipated benefit of being in a large metro area with a manufacturing history, plenty of goodies available.

Will stay tuned for updates.

Hope everyone's holiday is going well.

Now the bedroom window ac has been acting up. It froze two days ago. I believe the condensation is freezing over night causing the compressor to lockup. Its working just fine today, its also 50 degrees though.

We have another nice day tomorrow, going to install a cold air intake, Ill post some pics when I get the chance.

Other than that, the grow is going well no complaints thus far.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2db9az_week-5-flower

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 5
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 6
  • corner 2.jpg
    corner 2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 5
  • corner.jpg
    corner.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 4
  • close 1.jpg
    close 1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 4
Looking good man, fingers crossed for your fan getting there on time. Did it not turn out to be the compressor that was out on the mini split?

Thank you brother.

I have a 3 ton ac unit in my basement, which cools a 10k grow. Thats the ac with the compressor issue. I installed an 8 inch inline fan. It cools keeps the basement at 77.

In this 4k grow I have a 2 ton window ac that is freezing over when the temps are 20 degrees and below. I'm waiting on this fan to come in.

Snapped a few pics. There isn't anything in there right now. I'm cleaning her up now. I have a plan later on this year to showcase this area. So we'll have to keep in touch.

Attachments

• inline wall.jpg
    inline wall.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 6
  • inline basement.jpg
    inline basement.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 4
  • basement.jpg
    basement.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 6
  • basement 3 ton.jpg
    basement 3 ton.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 4
  • basement 2.jpg
    basement 2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 5

theother

Thank you brother.

I have a 3 ton ac unit in my basement, which cools a 10k grow. Thats the ac with the compressor issue. I installed an 8 inch inline fan. It cools keeps the basement at 77.

In this 4k grow I have a 2 ton window ac that is freezing over when the temps are 20 degrees and below. I'm waiting on this fan to come in.

Snapped a few pics. There isn't anything in there right now. I'm cleaning her up now. I have a plan later on this year to showcase this area. So we'll have to keep in touch.

I like it! You got big things going! How do you like the adjusta wings? Never run them myself but they are popular out here. Just starting to hear about some people doing the convert using the galaxy ballasts. I have a bunch of galaxies and have heard the awings can buy you some head height but haven't tried it yet.

Big basements, cold intake air, cheap power, I'm so jealous!

All of my lights in flower are the cheapest econowings. I started with yieldmasters then on to blockbuster to magnums then adjusta-wings. Honestly the econowings are the way to go if you are going with the non air cooled route.

I was the manager for one of the largest hydro stores here in Detroit. Every so often a Hydrotek, Sunlight or Hydropharm rep would come in and attempt to convince me to buy into one of there over priced reflectors, based on some science from China, no wait Germany. Umm..?

Ask any of those reps if they grow. Its always their "friend that said this, or I've been told that."

I do not believe in air cooled reflectors, mainly because of security reasons & the glass. I have never, ever been able to totally remove the smell from my grow. I know a lot of small grows get away with exhausting, but when you reach a certain size its impossible to remove the smell.

I'm sure there are others in med states that understand the "carbon filtered weed smell." You can roll through a lot of neighborhoods in Detroit and smell this filtered weed smell.

Last thing I learned. In order to be a serious grower you need an ac. Once you decide to buy an ac it's normally pretty cheap to just buy a larger one. For 10 adjusta wings @150=1500. 10 large air cooled reflectors 10*200=2000. Man I just bought a 3 ton ac and installed for 700 that will cool 10 econowings @$50, 10*50=$500. I hope you see my reasoning.

So I have to buy a air-cooled reflector just to lose 10-20 percent because of the glass. No wonder why its cooler, I'm yielding less. Less watts less grams. Less intensity less grams.

Might as well buy a large ac and cheaper reflectors.

theother

I think i would like them because you can tweak them a little bit depending on canopy and room shape and all that. I agree on the air cooled lights being the source of a lot of smells. Pushing air through the hoods is the way to go for sure, but it's not perfect. I honestly think I get more smell off my veg plants than my air cooled lights though. Depending on strain and how much is in there, it's crossed my mind to put a filter in my veg, but I am way out in the country so I never get around to it.

That's a great deal on the 10 ton! I've never worked with a balanced central air system, only mini splits, and re ducted existing house acs. I think it would be rewarding though to get something dialed with a real proper split system. My mini always walks around on the temp a bit and it's annoying. I would love to just get a solid temp dialed and never be more than a degree higher or lower. My mini tends to go like 3 degrees lower than it's set and then work it's way up to 3 degrees higher at other times. Total change of maybe 5-6 degrees. Not the end of the world, but it could be if you didn't pick a temp that worked on both ends of the extreme. Could be the combination of air cooled lights and dehus making for an inconsistent heat load. That's what I have always suspected.

Former Guest

Really good thread 40mills!

Could I enquire more about what your feeding in bloom? What are you using for phosphorus and calcium? I'm having a hard time making the phos more available and some mag issues with my Connie Chung. Thanks!

Ladyluckybean: Right now I run a custom blend base nutrient that I've been working on. But to head you in the right direction, I recommend using;

Base nutrient (chose one): FloraNova Bloom, Maxibloom or Jacks hydroponic. I would use a single one part bloom formula all the way through, from cloner to finish.

For magnesium: Epsom Salt. Epsom salt like pyrethrin are two products that are very misunderstood within the hydroponics industry. There isn't any other Mg source to choose other than Epsom salt.

For Calcium: A lot of people like calcium nitrate (Ca(NO3)2), while there is nothing wrong with it I would rather run a calcium product alone. When I enter the first week of my three week flush I keep the calcium high as it assist in bloom. If you were running calcium nitrate you would have/want to remove that product sooner as the nitrogen effects taste.

I like plant amp by cutting edge solutions. Which is just Calcium Chloride. You could buy raw powder calcium chloride and weight it out at 40 grams per gallon. That should equal the same dose that's in plant amp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_chloride

I also feed every time, I do not flush to remove salts. A human athlete eats everyday, outdoor soil organic plants eat everyday. We should feed these plants at every water. Just feed a lower amount and bottle and take notes.

phosphorus: If you are feeding a full spectrum base nutrients like the one above then you shouldn't need any additional phosphorus. Cannabis even though a blooming plant does not need a lot of phosphorus. A lot of people cant believe that, but when you look at a lot of true organic cannabis growers their main source of unchelated phosphorus is rock phosphate. That stuff takes about year to breakdown. So (a organic growers started reusing the dirt b) guano bombs/tea became in style and c) we found out that cannabis doesn't really need that much phosphorus.

So a sample feed chart would look like this.

200 ppm of base nutrients in cloner
(Base)GH FloraNova: 4ml - 8ml per gallon. Maxibloom/jacks 5-7 grams per gallon
(CA)Plant Amp by Cutting Edge Solutions: 5ml early veg - 10ml late veg into flower
(Mg)Espom Salt: .2 tsp - 1 tsp/per gallon

A little advanced flushing routine final weeks.
Week 1: Base, mg, ca
Week 2: Base, mg, ca
Week 3: Base, mg, ca
Week 4: Base, Ca
Week 5: Base, Ca
Week 6: Monopotassium phosphate, Ca
week 7: Water or Monopotassium phosphate, Ca
week 8: Water
week 9: Water

I like .4 grams per gallon of mono in those weeks. This really helps smooth out the taste while getting a nice yield.

The only reason why I call that advanced is if your strain is dying of mg deficiency then your plants can't survive a 3 week flush. So to take it easy.

wk1: base, ca, mg
wk2: base, ca, mg
wk3: base, ca, mg
wk4: base, ca, mg
wk6: base, ca
wk7: base, ca
wk8; water
wk9: water.

Alright brother hope this helps any other questions feel free.

Latest posts

Latest posts