What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

40x40x120cm Tangerine Dream+Cannatonic

revegeta666

I used pk13/14 my last grow and that went well so I'll cross my fingers it works as well this time. I'll probably use between 1/3-2/3 of the recommended dose and only for one week. I rather err on the side of slightly underfeeding to be honest. To my understanding slightly underfeeding will at worst lower the yield while overfeeding can lead to all sorts of problems if not a completely ruined yield.

And thank you all for your input regarding the counting of flowering days. I see both sides have some decent arguments but I'll continue to count from switch for ease of mind.
Half of the recommended dose is a good rule of thumb and that's what I used to do when I switched to a new nutrient brand I wasn't familiar with 👍 you are right that the consequences of overfeeding are much worse than underfeeding, and are much harder to solve.

Torbo

I've started to see some kind of yellowing on the leaves of the "top buds". I'm not sure tho if this is a natural part of theese strains flowering or if I'm doing something wrong. They seem to be growing as hell so I have not been overly concerned about this but what do you guys think?
D57B36 (9).jpg

D57B36 (1).jpg D57B36 (6).jpg D57B36 (14).jpg D57B36 (3).jpg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran

Torbo

It's too early to flush friend if you want your plant to finish. I would wait a couple more weeks before doing anything at this point. You are on the right track just a little early. 😎
Last grow I flushed for around 10 days, but while reading up before I started this grow I've read several people who seem to flush for over a month. I was aiming for 14 days. Any input regarding this?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Last grow I flushed for around 10 days, but while reading up before I started this grow I've read several people who seem to flush for over a month. I was aiming for 14 days. Any input regarding this?
If you use pure water with a low ppm nutrient in the water it will flush in a few days with just 10% runoff. If you use tap water it can take more than 14 days to bring down the EC with or without nutrients in the water.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If you use pure water with a low ppm nutrient in the water it will flush in a few days with just 10% runoff. If you use tap water it can take more than 14 days to bring down the EC with or without nutrients in the water.
When you add a small amount of nutrients into pure water and flush with it, it acts as a solvent releasing more nutrients for a cleaner flush. ..

Torbo

When you add a small amount of nutrients into pure water and flush with it, it acts as a solvent releasing more nutrients for a cleaner flush. ..
Thanks for your help! Do you have a link to where I can read more about this?
I live in a country/area with one of the worlds best tapwater so purifying the water is not something I've even considered but I'd like to learn more.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks for your help! Do you have a link to where I can read more about this?
I live in a country/area with one of the worlds best tapwater so purifying the water is not something I've even considered but I'd like to learn more.
I learned that from a horticulture class teacher back 30 years ago.
As long as your tap water isn't alkaline it may be ok. Alkaline tap waters are buffered and lock up nutrients. Now if you use tap water and it takes 14 days to flush the EC out of the container, then your tap water is not a good flush water.

The general rule of thumb is to use 3 times the amount of plain water to flush out the EC. I find that "destructive" to the plants and will cause problems with the final harvest. I never use that much water because I don't have to doing it my way. I start my flush by lowering the nutrient content at the end of the grow. It only takes 10 to 20 % runoff for a few waterings.

When a person saturates their soil to the point of complete saturation all the oxygen is removed from the media for about a week. Using a low ppm fertilizer in pure water one can fade out without cutting the oxygen and keep the plants homeostasis.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Sorry, Torbo I almost forgot to show you what to look at on your information search. You may want to look at Diffusion

How do nutrients move through a root system of a plant.

Search Results-Featured snippet from the web

Diffusion: During diffusion, roots grow throughout the profile and use up nutrients directly around the root system and the root hairs. As the concentration of nutrients around the root system drops, nutrients from higher concentrated areas move – or diffuse – toward low concentration areas and toward the roots. May 5, 2015 Google

Diffusion
PHYSICS
the intermingling of substances by the natural movement of their particles.

What is a simple definition of diffusion?
diffusion, process resulting from random motion of molecules by which there is a net flow of matter from a region of high concentration to a region of low concentration. Google

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If you want to go deeper you can learn about the positive and negative charges of molecules and atomic weights. If you put two molecules together they are going to do one of 3 things because there are three primary types of bonding: You can look there and learn what I'm about flushing nutrients. Keep us posted friend.

Torbo

I learned that from a horticulture class teacher back 30 years ago.
As long as your tap water isn't alkaline it may be ok. Alkaline tap waters are buffered and lock up nutrients. Now if you use tap water and it takes 14 days to flush the EC out of the container, then your tap water is not a good flush water.

The general rule of thumb is to use 3 times the amount of plain water to flush out the EC. I find that "destructive" to the plants and will cause problems with the final harvest. I never use that much water because I don't have to doing it my way. I start my flush by lowering the nutrient content at the end of the grow. It only takes 10 to 20 % runoff for a few waterings.

When a person saturates their soil to the point of complete saturation all the oxygen is removed from the media for about a week. Using a low ppm fertilizer in pure water one can fade out without cutting the oxygen and keep the plants homeostasis.
I've always found that(the sentence in bold) a bit wierd to be honest and when I'm talking about flushing I mean using plain water without any added nutrients to it. (With "normal" runoff)
I remember from one of the first guides I ever read there was a guy debating about (end)flushing and how it had started to grow into 2 different "schools" where one was kind of confusing the same kind of flush you would do to neutralize a nutrient burn with the one you do at the end of a grow. And how that only had been a big misunderstanding. But since then I really hope there has been some research around this.

Thanks once again for the help. I'll dive into your suggestions shortly.

Last edited:

Torbo

D82B61 Cannatonic.jpg

This Cannatonic is looking really wierd, is foxtailing the name for it?

The plants are showing some milky trichomes so I started giving them plain tapwater yesterday. Hopefully they'll be ripe enough before they die of nutrient deficiency.
D82B61 Tangerines.jpg D82B61 Tangerines2.jpg