What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

400w shelf grow.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I have thought about it but i do not *think* my ballast will work, but i am not sure. My ballast is switchable between 120v/240v and also MH/HPS.

Sun System 10 Crop Master 400 SW is my ballast

I think it'll work. You'd need it switched to the HPS setting. I'm sure someone on the CMH thread could answer that question for you definitively.

C

CFL_Grow

Thanks man. I posted in there to get a more definative answer. Simply swapping out bulbs would be awesome. This is only my first grow with a HPS light, and i can already tell that the spectrum is clearly lacking from lookin at my plants. They are putting on weight, but that doesn't necessarily denote healthy.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Thanks man. I posted in there to get a more definative answer. Simply swapping out bulbs would be awesome. This is only my first grow with a HPS light, and i can already tell that the spectrum is clearly lacking from lookin at my plants. They are putting on weight, but that doesn't necessarily denote healthy.

Yeah. There are some growers who've always used MH/HPS and swear by it. Those of us that started with CFL and go to HPS usually say something to the effect that HPS gives you more weight and CMH/CFL/PLL give you more potency/appeal.

The HPS people don't buy into it, but I hear it over and over in the threads.

I'm thrilled with my potency with CFL, but I'd love a bit more weight. I'm hoping that my combination PLL/CMH cab will give me weight AND potency. Can't wait til build it and find out.

C

CFL_Grow

I definately think you are onto something there. The combination of lighting would be excellent in your new build.

I am going to buy a CMH bulb next week. My ballast is ANSI S51 rated so i am good to go. A little late for this grow, ill finish flower with it. I think im on day 31ish. I really think ill end up growing with just the one bulb once it's in. Something like 36000 lumens of mostly usable light vs the 50000 of the HPS with a lot of waste. Not to mention the HPS light is ugly !! haha

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I definately think you are onto something there. The combination of lighting would be excellent in your new build.

I am going to buy a CMH bulb next week. My ballast is ANSI S51 rated so i am good to go. A little late for this grow, ill finish flower with it. I think im on day 31ish. I really think ill end up growing with just the one bulb once it's in. Something like 36000 lumens of mostly usable light vs the 50000 of the HPS with a lot of waste. Not to mention the HPS light is ugly !! haha

Make sure you get the Philips RETRO WHITE bulb not the master color or any of the other ones.

Reason being that the Retro White is the only CMH bulb made by ANYONE that is rated for an open enclosure. If your bulb fails, it has another layer of glass tubing to capture the explosion. If you go with any other CMH bulb you risk the possibility of fire in the event of a bulb letting go.

C

CFL_Grow

Day 31

Fed the ladies today with Bloom Nutes. They are looking hungry from all the swelling :ying:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I did not feed this girl today. She does not look hungry at all. Her stalk is massively thick :) Look to be forming one huge cola :dance013:
picture.php

She looks a little slower then the others. Will watch Tric's when it's time but i think she is in for a longer flower then the others.
picture.php

I also germ'ed a few seeds to grow out 12/12, will see when they pop !

C

CFL_Grow

picture.php

I am going to feed them again next time they need water. They are still hungry except that dark green one...

I have only fed once thus far in flowering. I figured re-potting from 1 gallon to 5 gallons would have been enough fresh soil but they keep trying to go yellow ! The yellow tops on the tallest plant is from the HPS but the lower leaves are N def i believe.

Latest posts

Latest posts