What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

400w HPS, Blumats, Smartpots with Golden Label nutrients

omgwt

Nice dense colas! I have some a week or two behind yours right now, can't wait!

Thanks man, yeah they are starting to fatten up, i started using PK a couple of days ago - hopefully that'll help to make them even bigger :) I really like this strain though, it's the genetics from my last grow, both clones of the best yielders from that run - specifically two of the Iced Grapefruit - both smell so sweet and fruity it's a dream to just be near them right now! Really nice high too, more of a sativa buzz, with underlying indica :huggg:Hopefully this combined with running ScroG will get me 300g/10 ounces *crosses fingers*

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
In both your pics before and after spraying I see white specs on top of the leaves that indicate the Borg- spidermites. One spraying can't kill them all or the eggs. They are the Borg:biggrin: Is that the bugs you saw? If it is you had better educate yourself on them because they will be baaaack:biggrin:

RedBeardy5

I just got done with two iced grapefruit runs. great yield but both runs they threw male flowers in the final weeks.

omgwt

Thanks for the good words guys!

In both your pics before and after spraying I see white specs on top of the leaves that indicate the Borg- spidermites. One spraying can't kill them all or the eggs. They are the Borg:biggrin: Is that the bugs you saw? If it is you had better educate yourself on them because they will be baaaack:biggrin:

Yeah I have noticed those, but I figured they were old dots from before the spray, non the less I am taking the safe road and sprayed them again yesterday. I have been keeping an eye on them since I sprayed the first time, but All the leaves with white dots on I looked at - didn't have any living thing on them.. But like I said - I'm not giving them a chance to fuck up my harvest, they did that the last time with 1 main cola.. Hence why I had to harvest with nutes still in the girls. I might do another spray or two within a week - before the buds become huge, and at the point where I don't want them to have a high level of humidity.

Anyway, enough ramblin, have a good weekend guys!
Might post some new pics on sunday, hopefully there will be a noticable difference by then. :)

omgwt

6½ week since I flipped to 12/12. I think I'm gonna cut the nutes by half in the res on monday, following by only ph'd water the week after. Then it should be pretty good timing for harvest, making the flip -> harvest around 9 weeks. The last time it took 8-9 weeks from flip and the thriches were milky white - and I liked the buzz from it.

I spent the money I had this month for buying weed (my stash ran out a week ago) on something much better than more buds - converting my cabinet into a grow box - something I've wanted to do for 3 years now.
I took a couple of pictures during the build, but perhaps the final creation is more interesting, I still need to finish the scrog net, but I'll probably do that when I have a plant in there to see what level I wanna put it at etc. I probably spent -450 in total, but I should be able to get around 4 ounces if i scrog it according to some calculations I made - it's only 3,5 square feet of grow area, but with a 250w hps it should be able to do what I want.

So yeah, basicly the specs are:
Stucco Reflector
250W Pro-Gear Class 2 Ballast
250W Hps Gib Lightning Flower Spectre
Can-Lite Filters 150m3 100mm
Aluflex 102mm
Ventilution 100mm 145 / 187 m³

This cost me around

On top of this, I spent -200 for the OSB board, wood joists, some screws, glew, electricity stuff, wheels and other nick nacks.

It goes without saying that I will run coco in this box as well, it's fucking awesome. I did however include some perlite, that I might try and mix into the coco. 25/75 perl/coco was my idea about it, but then again I don't know if it's necessary.. I'll also continue using blumats in this, I'm thinking that I will put a 10L res on top of the box, it'll look like it's just some boxes on top of the cabinet for storage if anyone walks by.

Started like this, gutted it years ago to hide my plants during a visit, so yeah, it was certainly time to make this into something useful.

MSNeEtC.png

Added a floor and some in/out-take with an attempt of light traps; they work even tho they are not very fancy looking - there is zero light coming from the bottom.

4LKejVi.png

Added a couple of holes in another board and made a little shelf for the pot to stand on, the idea is to put a bucket below, the idea is the same used in my tent - flush table is very important to me, especially in a wood box.
P2gmphm.png

Basicly finished product, I still need to light proof the box a bit more, plastic isnt getting all of it.. Might put 2-3 layers in the corners etc but for now it's good enough, I need to sit and think about ways to make it the cheapest and easiest way, and for now my clones are far from big enough to be put into this box anyway, unfortunately enough.

a7bdc940dba1e527185903e604e463de.jpg

Last edited:

omgwt

bd0372acbbc42d2f7cef21b86842850f.png

I decided to make a "proper" electrical system in the box, basically I have 2 wall sockets, one close to the bulb In case I wanna add a PC fan to cool it down, and one down at the ballast, I did however notice that I could have used a 4-way socket near the lamp, because with the digital timer and the fan rpm limiter - they simply don't fit on one of those 2-way sockets.. Oh well, for now I'll use the top socket for the inline fan.

In regards to safety, it's gonna be pretty hard for water to sip down to the electrical system - it would require to fill the 3 gallon bucket I'll have below the flush tray before anything else gets wet.

DNJoDXR.png

KiUePiZ.png

Last edited:

omgwt

OH and here's a pic of my clone box, it's pretty much light proof but there are a tiny gap on parts of the door still - good enough though - in complete darkness i can see a tiny line of light on the wall..

NQn64Mm.png

VWgnfkE.png

omgwt

Cool setup, you gonna paint the inside flat white?

Thanks :) I got white plastic on all the walls above and on the shelf where the pot is standing, I think painting or covering the rest with plastic is pretty pointless since I'm gonna run scrog there will probably be very little if any light passing through down to the floor, to be worth the hassle. :)
The plastic is great also because it got a black backside, helps when covering light leaks!

omgwt

Found more buggers today, so I sprayed them down with half a gallon of Pyrethrum 5ec, i hope this is enough, but I might just do another spray tomorrow to be more certain... Thinking strongly about getting new seeds and clean out all my grow areas and hope they came from the Gold Label Coco.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Found more buggers today, so I sprayed them down with half a gallon of Pyrethrum 5ec, i hope this is enough, but I might just do another spray tomorrow to be more certain... Thinking strongly about getting new seeds and clean out all my grow areas and hope they came from the Gold Label Coco.

I never read about spidermites that came in new bags of coco, could happen though.:biggrin:

Only thing that has worked for me is Hotshot No Pest Strip. Just hang it in your grow above your plants when lights are off. Make sure the fans are off too.

I've had Spider mites a few times and it always works. The ones I have had drink pyrethrin recreationally and laugh in my face when I try the natural stuff. Neem works good as a preventative in veg, but it's such a pain in the ass to remember to use, and it doesn't kill Spider mites, it just keeps them from getting out of control. I have heard that pyrethrin works, but it hasn't for me. Especially in a scrog when it's super hard to spray the underside of each leaf. I just hang the no pest strip at the first sight of spotted leaves, turn off my fans, and do that 3 nights in a row, then wait a week, do it again and then wait another week and do it again. That ensures that any hatched eggs (which survive every treatment) are destroyed before they can lay more eggs.

After the treatments I rinse off my buds and leaves to get rid of any carcasses and webbing. Spider mites are a pain in the ass in flower, but they're not a huge deal, no need to go nuclear.

As far as where they came from, if you live in a cooler climate they probably came in on a product like coco, or a clone if you bought clones from somewhere. If you live in a climate that doesn't get too cold, you probably brought one in on your clothes or if you have animals that go outdoors, they may have hitchhiked on the animal.

Last edited:

omgwt

Only thing that has worked for me is Hotshot No Pest Strip. Just hang it in your grow above your plants when lights are off. Make sure the fans are off too.

I've had Spider mites a few times and it always works. The ones I have had drink pyrethrin recreationally and laugh in my face when I try the natural stuff. Neem works good as a preventative in veg, but it's such a pain in the ass to remember to use, and it doesn't kill Spider mites, it just keeps them from getting out of control. I have heard that pyrethrin works, but it hasn't for me. Especially in a scrog when it's super hard to spray the underside of each leaf. I just hang the no pest strip at the first sight of spotted leaves, turn off my fans, and do that 3 nights in a row, then wait a week, do it again and then wait another week and do it again. That ensures that any hatched eggs (which survive every treatment) are destroyed before they can lay more eggs.

After the treatments I rinse off my buds and leaves to get rid of any carcasses and webbing. Spider mites are a pain in the ass in flower, but they're not a huge deal, no need to go nuclear.

As far as where they came from, if you live in a cooler climate they probably came in on a product like coco, or a clone if you bought clones from somewhere. If you live in a climate that doesn't get too cold, you probably brought one in on your clothes or if you have animals that go outdoors, they may have hitchhiked on the animal.

I will def try the method with strips next time, my harvest is currently 2 weeks away though and I'm considering spraying them with pyrethrum every night the next week and hope I contain them enough to not destroy any buds

I live in a cooler climate so yeah the coco is likely the cause, i have ordered new coco in a dry bale now that i hope contains no pests but who knows.. :)

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
I will def try the method with strips next time, my harvest is currently 2 weeks away though and I'm considering spraying them with pyrethrum every night the next week and hope I contain them enough to not destroy any buds

I live in a cooler climate so yeah the coco is likely the cause, i have ordered new coco in a dry bale now that i hope contains no pests but who knows.. :)

You're easy. 1 guy tells you to use some specific poison on your buds and you say ya :biggrin: Good luck finding Hot Shot No Pest strips in Europe. They're BANNED:tiphat: Always educate yourself first on whatever you want to give your plants. Here's the No Pest strip thread:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=122627

If it's two weeks don't spray anything but water on them,you can spray a lot of the buggers right off the buds. Just be sure you keep your air circulation really good to avoid mold and rot problems.

And dichlorvos is a dangerous chemical that _might_ leave a residue. Luckily this dangerous chemical is destroyed entirely by water, which is a good reason to rinse your buds off if you use no pest strips.

Id rather use a vapor agent than a spray on my personal weed, especially one that is short lived and destroyed by water. It's all a personal choice, but with only 2 weeks left I would just pinch off infested leaves and spray down with water.

omgwt

If it's two weeks don't spray anything but water on them,you can spray a lot of the buggers right off the buds. Just be sure you keep your air circulation really good to avoid mold and rot problems.

And dichlorvos is a dangerous chemical that _might_ leave a residue. Luckily this dangerous chemical is destroyed entirely by water, which is a good reason to rinse your buds off if you use no pest strips.

Id rather use a vapor agent than a spray on my personal weed, especially one that is short lived and destroyed by water. It's all a personal choice, but with only 2 weeks left I would just pinch off infested leaves and spray down with water.

Ye sounds like a good way to go at it.. Regarding the strips I'm sure there are ways to get that stuff if you really want to even in europe, but ye I might try something else, we'll see the next time I get the buggers hehe

omgwt

EgbDm3Q.jpg

New strains this upcoming round. I do like the Iced Grapefruit, and I might get it again - but I wanna try something else again :)

omgwt

I stopped using nutes like 2 days ago now, so yeah another week of flushing and things should be ready. The Triches are starting to become cloudy, and going from the last flowering another week is pretty much exactly the same period as last time - which turned out pretty good, altho I think they might fatten up a bit more if I wait like 10-12 days... What do you guys think about that?

Some crappy attempts at panorama view:
yi3kW0J.jpg

QU105eN.jpg

8D5eR3L.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts