Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Grow It! > Cannabis Infirmary > Caution when using "Hot Shot No-Pest Strips."

Thread Title Search    
Click to Buy BOG Seeds!
Post Reply
 Caution when using "Hot Shot No-Pest Strips." Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Mr.Hades
infection
 
Mr.Hades's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature
Posts: 297
Mr.Hades has a spectacular aura aboutMr.Hades has a spectacular aura aboutMr.Hades has a spectacular aura about
Caution when using "Hot Shot No-Pest Strips."

Growers should use caution when dealing with NPS because of its toxicity to humans and animals. You shouldn't use "No-Pest Strips" and other products containing Dichlorvos on flowering plants because of its chance of leaving residual amounts of the active ingredient on your plants. Dichlorvos (The active chemical in No-Pest Strips) is considered a carcinogen and if used with your plants, it should only be used in the vegetation cycle and plants rinsed with water before flowering so you dont have a chance of leaving chemical residue on your harvest if possible. The active chemical (Dichlorvos) can be rinsed off and breaks-down in water but is also a dangerous insecticide and should NOT be used in living areas where people have a chance to inhale the chemical. (People growing in their homes with children, pets etc.)

There needs to be a sticky thread about this because I seem to see plenty of people on the internet using these things improperly.

Info about Dichlorvos:

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts88.html

http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/Fact...dichlorvos.cfm

http://safe2use.com/poisons-pesticid...dichlorvos.htm

*****This is NOT a thread to discuss the effects of Dichlorvos. It is simply a thread to give caution to those using NPS.

Im not telling you NOT to use them... I have used them myself and still do. They are a very fast, easy, and efficient solution to get rid of spidermites. I am asking you to be cautious because it is a dangerous chemical like most chemical pesticides. The only reason I am posting this is because I have been reading how people are using these things lately. (using them in closet grows where people sleep etc.) I actually noticed this a couple years ago, but even more now.

When used, they shouldn't be used in rooms where people and animals will be, and make sure too use no and/or low ventilation for no more than 7 days... Then plants rinsed off with water to break down the active chemical if there is any possiblity of leaving a residue. The NPS makes your grow room a little gaschamber for the mites and will kill them dead.
Mr.Hades jest offline   Quote


4 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:22 AM   #2
mikessong
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 96
mikessong is on a distinguished road
i second the motion to make this a sticky
mikessong jest offline   Quote


Old 05-22-2009, 04:01 AM   #3
Phillthy
Seven-Thirty


 
Phillthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere nice and padded.
Posts: 7,785
Phillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivor
They tell you not to use them anywhere where a human will occupy the space for more then 4 hours a day.
__________________

“A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?” - Albert Einstein
Phillthy jest offline   Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:35 AM   #4
Haps
stone fool
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,232
Haps is a survivorHaps is a survivorHaps is a survivorHaps is a survivorHaps is a survivorHaps is a survivorHaps is a survivorHaps is a survivorHaps is a survivorHaps is a survivorHaps is a survivor
I put one in bloom at the start of 12's, with all the fan action, it is mostly depleted in a week or two. 8 weeks later at harvest there is none left. Everything can kill you, used carefully, these are not a problem. I can see how it could be, used too much or late in flower. Better than the fucking borg.
H
Haps jest offline   Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:12 AM   #5
Mr.Hades
infection
 
Mr.Hades's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature
Posts: 297
Mr.Hades has a spectacular aura aboutMr.Hades has a spectacular aura aboutMr.Hades has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillthy View Post
They tell you not to use them anywhere where a human will occupy the space for more then 4 hours a day.
Yes, they do... But I have read of many who use them throughout the grow as a preventative... Inhaling fumes as their plants grow... And many use them throughout the flowering process. Then the buds get smoked with trace amounts of this active chemical on them. Inhaling combusted chemical fumes of this kind cannot be good... Even in trace amounts.

Yes, It may keep out pests, but what could it possibly be doing to your health?

And using them with a fan and ventilation kind of defeats the purpose of using them as a pesticide because it takes a little while for the gaseous fumes to build up in the room... It turns your growroom into a tiny gaschamber of Dichlorvos which kills the pests quickly. And it doesnt deplete in a week or two. Ive had peststrips that Ive had to use a few times that lasted more than a year. Thats why they used to put them in office buildings, schools etc. because of the low-maintnence.

Im not telling you NOT to use them... I have used them myself... They are a very fast, easy solution to get rid of spidermites. I am asking you to be cautious because it is a very dangerous chemical. The only reason I am posting this is because I have been reading how people are using these things lately. I actually noticed this a couple years ago, but even more now.

If used, they should be used with no or low ventilation for no more than 5-7 days... Then plants rinsed off with plenty of water to break down the active chemical if there is any possiblity of leaving a residue.
Mr.Hades jest offline   Quote


Old 05-22-2009, 05:21 AM   #6
The End Is Near
Member
 
The End Is Near's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 508
The End Is Near is just really niceThe End Is Near is just really niceThe End Is Near is just really niceThe End Is Near is just really niceThe End Is Near is just really nice
I think this is just fearmongering due to the fact that dichlorvous gas is chemical based. I MIGHT be wrong, but consider this: Dichlorvous gas was toned down in concentration over the years to be safer, and has not once been observed(by me at least) to be harmful to plants. If it was as bad as the anti-NPS people said, we'd have well documented cases of poisoned plants. I've never even seen or heard of a plant reacting in the slightest to a NPS.

Yet MANY people have fucked their plants up with natural products like neem, homemade brews, other anti mite spray. Not only that but they're more expensive, more tedious to use, and nowhere near as effective as the mite-genocide that NPS bring.

I've said it before, NPS should always be the first step in killing mites and other pests, for they are unmatched in price, effectiveness, availability(home depot/lowes), and ease of use. The one and only thing I've heard negative is that some places like CA have NPS resistant mites.

Last edited by The End Is Near; 10-22-2009 at 04:23 AM.. Reason: NPS not at walmart
The End Is Near jest offline   Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:58 AM   #7
Phillthy
Seven-Thirty


 
Phillthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere nice and padded.
Posts: 7,785
Phillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivor
Hades, you make a lot of valid points. Any pesticide is going to be harmful in one way or another. I would not have one hanging in my kitchen. As a matter as fact I only place them in my grow room a week at a time depending on what i see (1 gnat, fly, etc.). lol.
__________________

“A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?” - Albert Einstein
Phillthy jest offline   Quote


Old 05-22-2009, 06:18 AM   #8
jack DA reaper
Member
 
jack DA reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 194
jack DA reaper will become famous soon enoughjack DA reaper will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggywhompus View Post
Shell the producer of no pest strips in the late 70s settled out of court many cases of people getting very sick from the use of dichlorvos no pest strips.

http://www.jimhightower.com/node/1786
http://whatever.losito.net/2007/03/0...no-pest-strip/
http://www.ringnebula.com/project-ce...93-story24.htm

I would never use the damn things.
Its a neurological toxin i thought
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by word
Im goin back to cooking coke!!! Nobody cried about who's coke was being cooked by who. Man, shit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexilandrace View Post
Fuck every single one of you money grabbing douchebags.

I got three fucking kids to feed, fuck your big screen TV.
jack DA reaper jest offline   Quote


Old 05-22-2009, 06:28 AM   #9
theratings
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Hot Shot No-Pest Strips work wonders on spider mites, but as always, you should be mindful of what you're adding into your grow.
  Quote


Old 05-22-2009, 06:34 AM   #10
Mr.Hades
infection
 
Mr.Hades's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature
Posts: 297
Mr.Hades has a spectacular aura aboutMr.Hades has a spectacular aura aboutMr.Hades has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by The End Is Near View Post
I think this is just fearmongering due to the fact that dichlorvous gas is chemical based.

I've said it before, NPS should always be the first step in killing mites and other pests, for they are unmatched in price, effectiveness, availability(walmart), and ease of use. The one and only thing I've heard negative is that some places like CA have NPS resistant mites.
I dont think it's "fearmongering" at all... Just facts... There have been plenty of studies... Which is why they are no longer used in public offices, schools, etc. I dont wear foil on my head.

Yes, They're are a very good way of removing pests, This is not what I am trying to get at. This is already known. And no where in this thread have I said they were harmful to plants. I say that they should NOT be used on flowering plants for a simple reason, You are putting trace amounts of carcinogenic chemical residue on your harvest. You probably dont notice, but it can't be very healthy.

I am simply trying to set a warning that can be viewed by all so that they know what they are dealing with.

And fyi, "NPS resistant mites" are not found just in CA. Spidermites can adapt and become immune to the chemical anywhere if used incorrectly to dispose of them. I believe this happens when the NPS are left in the rooms for long periods of time with regular ventilation as preventative measures which causes a low enough concentration over a period of time for the mites to simply get used to them. Its no different from how they grow resistant to other insecticides.

Like I said, the correct and safer way to use NPS to get rid of mites is to use them in a room with no ventilation for 5-7 days or until there are no signs of pests... Then you simply remove the NPS and rinse your plants thouroughly after.
Mr.Hades jest offline   Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:45 AM   #11
Phillthy
Seven-Thirty


 
Phillthy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere nice and padded.
Posts: 7,785
Phillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivorPhillthy is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hades View Post
Like I said, the correct and safer way to use NPS to get rid of mites is to use them in a room with no ventilation for 5-7 days or until there are no signs of pests... Then you simply remove the NPS and rinse your plants thouroughly after.
__________________

“A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?” - Albert Einstein
Phillthy jest offline   Quote


Old 05-22-2009, 07:28 AM   #12
The End Is Near
Member
 
The End Is Near's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 508
The End Is Near is just really niceThe End Is Near is just really niceThe End Is Near is just really niceThe End Is Near is just really niceThe End Is Near is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hades View Post
I dont think it's "fearmongering" at all... Just facts... There have been plenty of studies... Which is why they are no longer used in public offices, schools, etc. I dont wear foil on my head.

Yes, They're are a very good way of removing pests, This is not what I am trying to get at. This is already known. And no where in this thread have I said they were harmful to plants. I say that they should NOT be used on flowering plants for a simple reason, You are putting trace amounts of carcinogenic chemical residue on your harvest. You probably dont notice, but it can't be very healthy.

I am simply trying to set a warning that can be viewed by all so that they know what they are dealing with.

And fyi, "NPS resistant mites" are not found just in CA. Spidermites can adapt and become immune to the chemical if used incorrectly to dispose of them anywhere. I believe this happens when the NPS are left in the rooms for long periods of time with regular ventilation as preventative measures which causes a low enough concentration over a period of time for the mites to simply get used to them.

Like I said, the correct and safer way to use NPS to get rid of mites is to use them in a room with no ventilation for 5-7 days or until there are no signs of pests... Then you simply remove the NPS and rinse your plants thouroughly after.
I wish there was a way we could test this, as it's the only way this little debate can be solved. This isn't a fogging/gassing in days of old, it's a faint fume slowly released by a resin. I'll admit I don't know if it does accumulate in any amount on the plant, but my money is on it not mattering, and that combustion releases more carcinogens to be released than any residue. Also, maybe the faint water vapor from the plants' respiration breaks it down, IDK. It's just that you say not to use it during flower. I did that and it was the only time I ever used NPS, they kicked ass, so did the weed, and I'm still healthy. Keep in mind that it was toned down, I'm assuming partially in response to being sued.. And I'd rather leave my plants unwashed than destroy trichomes and risk mold. Just my opinion/hypthesis. Don't take it too seriously.
The End Is Near jest offline   Quote


0 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #13
Blue Dot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by The End Is Near View Post
It's just that you say not to use it during flower. I did that and it was the only time I ever used NPS, they kicked ass, so did the weed, and I'm still healthy.
You don't get it. This isn't how cancer works. You don't just inhale a product once or eat something once and Bam you've got cancer.

It is the slow accumulation over time that reaches a critical level, then you're doomed.

Think about how many cancer patients go to the doctor and the doctor asks, well lets see if we can narrow down your source for this cancer.
Tell me your history.
The patient is like, well one time I spray painted my house, and oh yeah I accidentailly dipped my hand in a jar or such and such and I eat at McDonalds every third day and yeah I had a grow where I used NPS and I have to sit in traffic an hour a day, etc, etc, etc.

Why do you think cancer is such an epidemic today, because we are surrounded by toxic chems, everywhere we go.

No need to add that one last straw that broke the cancer camels back by using NPS.

Not to mention the neurotoxic effects that have nothing to do with cancer.
  Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #14
10k
burnt out og'er
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: cyber space
Posts: 1,644
10k is a splendid one to behold10k is a splendid one to behold10k is a splendid one to behold10k is a splendid one to behold10k is a splendid one to behold10k is a splendid one to behold10k is a splendid one to behold10k is a splendid one to behold
I'm going to sticky this for a while.
Someone once told me they are "phytotoxic"....
IE: somewhat toxic to plants. Is there any information to back this up ?
10k jest offline   Quote


Old 05-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #15
Mr.Hades
infection
 
Mr.Hades's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature
Posts: 297
Mr.Hades has a spectacular aura aboutMr.Hades has a spectacular aura aboutMr.Hades has a spectacular aura about
"And I'd rather leave my plants unwashed than destroy trichomes and risk mold."

Thats why I say they should not be used in flowering... Even if you did rinse them, there could still be residue inside the buds from the NPS being in the room throughout the flowering cycle because you obviously cant wash inside of them.

Im not trying to make this a debate thread.

Thats not what this is about, Its already been proven to be a carcinogen...

The point of this thread is to give caution to people about what they are using on their plants and in their homes where not only they live but family and pets aswell.

Also, to inform people on the safer way to use them so that NPS doesnt start showing up in everygrow as a "cure-all" remedy and have growers all over the world breathing in carcinogens...

Just think, If years from now, marijuana growers start getting cancer, they will blame it on marijuana itself and not on the pesticides and chemicals that are being used to produce our fine herb.
Mr.Hades jest offline   Quote


1 members found this post helpful.

Post Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:52 AM.


Click to buy IC Mag Products

This site is for educational and entertainment purposes only.
You must be of legal age to view ICmag and participate here.
All postings are the responsibility of their authors.
Powered by: vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.