What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

4 x 3 x 2

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
The New Nutshell

The New Nutshell

Quick sketch of whats going to happen.

picture.php

6" intake is a cheap fan, the kind that you can almost bury the entire housing into the duct. 6" exhaust is a better quality fan with oversized housing. The 2nd moves a couple dozen or so more cfm. If its too much more, Ill use pvc to make a 2" passive intake in each space. Exhaust ducting may have to go through the back wall as there may not be enough space to get it past the huge center beam of the house.

So last night i poured a cup of bleach into 2 gals of water and poured those into the pit. A mat of slimy algae floated up off the inside of the bucket - enough to cover the entire surface area. Nasty!! It was absolutely disgusting. Someone would have a heart attack if they saw that in their res.

-----------------------------------------

Had a lil epiphany drawing up that ^ plan. Why not do complete runs in each space? To get it started it would be 6 plants around a foot tall in 1 side. After 1 month add 6 more. At the 2 month mark, the 2nd 6 could be moved to the other side to continue vegging and the 1st 6 get flipped. At 3 months, the 2nd 6 get flipped. 4th months and the 1st 6 get harvested and 6 fresh plants go in to veg for 1 month. So at the end of the 5th month the 2nd 6 are harvested, 6 fresh plants go in and the 3rd 6 get flipped - so on and so on.

The time frame may be more like every 5 weeks as most of our plants are 9-10 weekers

The plantry would run all flouros so I can pop, clone and grow the shorties in there.

Ill tell ya, I woke up Saturday after a really good nights sleep. Before I let my mind get muddled with thoughts of the bud pit, I jumped online and started researching. Read a bunch of stuff about nute ratios and interactions. If one were to use FF as a Lucas formula, I think Big Bloom would be more on par with GH Floralicious - a bloom booster rather than a base nute. I think I learned more in those few hours than I have in the last few months. Thats what brought me to the realization that I needed to start over as simply as possible. Thats also when I got the idea to split the new space-to-be into 2 completely separate spaces.

Nothing like a good nights sleep and a fresh head to tackle old problems.

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
gotta figure out those hood dimensions since their the round ones - you say 1 1000watt? per room? whats the foot prints?

oscilating fans right?

And that algae sounds like my roommates pasta pot he left on the stove for a week and that shit was so fermented - god dayum. lol

glad your happy brother!

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
gotta figure out those hood dimensions since their the round ones - you say 1 1000watt? per room? whats the foot prints?

oscilating fans right?

And that algae sounds like my roommates pasta pot he left on the stove for a week and that shit was so fermented - god dayum. lol

glad your happy brother!

I told P that the ceiling height was low enough that we could just wrap the space in mylar and call it good - no hood needed.
So basically 1 vert bulb way overhead making it not a vert and 1 actual vert. This is probably gonna be 1 of those times that I just do what I want.

Each space is going to be 4'x4'6"x6'6". I do think we might need to upgrade to a 8" exhaust and move the good 6" to intake, but that aint no thang. And yes 1000 per side.

Might not need oscillators either - esp. if Im just going to run vert. Even if 1 side still runs hortizontal, a stationary fan mounted in just the right spot should work.

I need to get the shit running before I get P to spend more $ on auxiliary equipment.

Thanks for stopping in bro.

Gelado`

Veteran
WG here's some reading on radon for ya; it comes out of the soil. Major cause of lung cancer in the US. You may want to test for the gas before you proceed as it can mess YOU up, let alone your plants! I lived in basements in the northeast for years...hopefully I didn't get radon gassed too badly!

http://www.epa.gov/radon/pubs/consguid.html

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Oh man... And I thought it was cool that I had a basement bedroom through my teens. Actually, it was. Sneaking out was never really very sneaky :D

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Enough talk - howzabout some pics?

PC #1 - Shes done and getting axed tonight. None too soon - been smoking nothing but roaches for 1 1/2 weeks. Would have been good to train in a scrog, very floppy.

picture.php

Bodacious #3 - She had huge, fluffy soda bottle buds 1st time around. Looks like she'll have more density this round.

picture.php

B #4 - Sour pine pheno. Having spent a fair amount of time next to the pit, shes lost a ton of leaves. Though shes behind schedule, moving her away has initiated more flower action. Shes one that tastes so good that you want to puff her everyday.

picture.php

--------------------------------

Got the space cleared to see what Ill have to work with. Gonna have to build a low profile subfloor. The oil line to the furnace is in the way. I could try bending it, but that sounds like a disaster in the making.

Quick add up of building materials comes out to approx. $280. I can knock about $80 off that by reusing some materials and not using pressure treated for the subfloor framing. Id like to avoid both of those if I can - not using p-t against the basement floor seems like a bad idea. And I really don't want to reuse anything from the current space.

Didn't talk to P about my planned growing schedule - and Im not going to. Im going to do it the way I want to and not how he thinks it should go. No crazy 4-45-29 or whatever bloom boosters. I think those #s are ridiculous. If plants could really uptake that much, they would probably fry.

On the subject of nutes: My vet buddy, who I supply with clones, has offered to buy me the new nutes for all my help. Bonus! Normally Id say no, but we need the $ for materials and hes still got plenty from his last harvy with 3 weeks to go on his current. Hes dispensary free now! Im still gonna make P pay for his 1/2 and put it towards the room. I shouldn't have to go 1/2 on materials because when I go the room stays and Im doing all the work.

Junk mans coming this week to haul the years of accumulation out of the basement, so construction starts soon!

harry74

Veteran
Looking good Wildgrow.

Tell that asshole to go to the forest to pick up some mushroom!!!

You need peace of mind to grow man; not someone all day blah,blah,blah. I coudn´t have a growing partner myself man; my IPod nano, myself and the plants. Peace.

Best of lucks& peace of mind :tiphat:

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Thanks Harry and T. Im not fretting over the partnership anymore. If he wants me to grow his meds for him, he just has to let me do it. So Im just going to do it and to hell with his opinions.

I made him a visual aid for my proposed schedule. Keep in mind that its not rock solid, but it illustrates my mind set - Ill see if I can put it up.

picture.php

Damn that was hard - had to convert it a couple times.

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
explain that chart cause i think i understand it - if u wanna bro

PC#1 :canabis:

u got cuts of her? any good smells?

Theres a GSC cross tester thread in the connoisseur genetics thread!

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
No problem.

Each round is 6 plants.
Odd numbered rounds will be 1 side of the new space, evens the other side. That way Im never (ideally) stuck with harvesting both sides at once.
The 1st month of their veg cycle is under the 400 w in the plantry. 2nd month theyre moved to 1000 w to veg. (I can dial it down to 600 if need be.)
Then theyre flipped.

^^^Roughly

It is just a visual aid - and it came in handy tonight. P started going on about how the rooms will work - I whipped this out - end of discussion. :D Then he started in on monocropping. Stopped that 1 dead. For 1, Im not smoking just 1 thing for an entire month. 2, the original agreement was that I get 1/2 the space to pheno hunt. We'll have at least 1 of each of the 3 keepers budding every round. That leaves up to 1/2 the space to hunt.

Went ahead and picked up the GH micro and bloom, and Ill be damned if the entire plantry wasn't praying an hour later. Hit em full dose so just water next time.

You know I do brother - cuts of everything, always :D Found 2 shriveled up nanners in 1 bud. They were really nestled in there. They don't look like they split though, and if they did I think any pollination would have been highly localized. Popped open a couple suspiciously plump calyxs and nada. Hopefully they were sterile. The nanners were almost definitely stress related. Im not ready to give up on it yet. She smelled really sweet untrimmed. It was a rotten onion, cheese-like funk when trimmed. Real sticky too. Got the earmarks of a good smoke.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Shit! I forgot to get pics of PC :wallbash:

The most of it is drying slowly - rh is through the roof. If I dare optimism, Id say 4 oz without blinking. 3.5 is definite.

I took the $ we had so far set aside for materials and bought the nutes. Picked Promix and 4 gals of perlite too. I think I like it. Might get 2-4 more gals of perlite. Just amending with double the perlite and no vermiculite has fluffed up the mix considerably. Doubling it again might make it doubly nice :D

Up potted 6 or 7 plants. Thinking I might have to throw a few in bud, they'll be too big if I wait for the new space. Ill still have enough to load the 1st round when construction is done.

I had to go a little asshole before I went big explosion. If Im going to grow the plants I know I can grow then I need to grow them the way I know how to. Is it the right way? :dunno: It sure as hell was not the wrong way - like his way. And, of course, 1 good yield comes up and its 'hit em with boosters', 'turn on the co2'. Yaaa... uhh... no and no. A sprinkle of guano now and then works fine for me. I will be adding Floralicious bloom at 1 or 2 (maybe 2) mls just so I don't have to lie about everything.

If the average round drops 12 zips then he wont care how Im doing it, just that I keep it coming.

So yes, gentlemen, Im getting excited! Ill start a fresh thread when construction begins and let this 1 fade with the last plants in Wildgrows Pit of Despairrr...

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Gotta get my OD holes prepped this week and will be picking up some lime. There will be A LOT left over. Im thinking that I should use some in my indoor mix to bring the ph up and buffer against ph spikes. Shouldn't need it for the Ca and Mag as flora has enough - except maybe for plants that are real whores. I know flora is buffered but I tend to think that is more towards hydro use. I have a bottle of calmag but I wouldn't mind not having to buy another if I find myself growing said whores.

What do you folks think, yea or nay? Any potential harm in adding lime? At say 1/4 cup per gal? I couple take 10 gals of mix and put it in a different bin and add 2 1/2 cups to that and give it a whirl. But I don't want to waste my time if there isn't a benefit, and certainly not if its going to be detrimental. If no ones got anything, does anyone have even a passing interest to see what happens?

---------------------

I know Im probably going to have to use that co2 machine, so Ive come up with a plan. Im going to hang the machine at the end of the hall by the future old rooms door. I want to use a 4" duct and fan with reducer and T to pipe it into the intake duct outside of the new space. Seems like a good way to get even distribution while mixing it with the fresh air. Any thoughts? Thinking I may need a electric damper so Im not pulling air from there when its not running.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Pulverized dolomite.

----------------------------------

My supe pulled a bag of ferts out of the chem trailer yesterday and handed it to me for the beds. Its called Organigreen. I saw that and thought - organic, ya right. The degree to which we use ferts on the property makes organics an astronomically expensive choice. Must have been a trial bag from a distributor because its got blood, bone and feather meals, ewc - all that good stuff.

I think it may end up in my OD holes ;)

Gelado`

Veteran
I say go for it--from a quick Google search it appears ProMix HP already has dolomite lime in it, so if you're using the HP I wouldn't add any. I wish I could get that stuff locally!