What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3x3 Closet Grow

DoloDankness

I do have a smaller fan I can use for now. I think I might have to pass up on cuts this round sadly brother... I just didnt have everything in place. Next round I should be set. I have my tent and my light the issue was heat, that veg tent was a heat box even with two small fans. This winter I should be set to take clones from next run. I'm planning on running those testers I was talking about in Fiddy's forum. Should be some nice old school funk. I have a big circular fan in there right now pointed straight up, everything still has a nice wobble. I even had a slight issue of wind burn with the Chewy Runtz but I moved it away from the fan and it fixed the issue. The only other option I have to getting another fan going would be to have one pointed at the tops, drilled into the wall. And thank you!!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
place the smaller fan at ground level and have it pointed into one of the corners
this will bring in fresh air but not direct any air at the plants, we are just circulating the air in the lower canopy
i hear you about heat and usually shut down the indoor during this time of year

Fiddynut

Good afternoon DoloDankness.
Your plants are looking great! The streach is usually over by the end of week 3 so your almost there.
As far as heat issues what are you using for your air exchange fan (fan sucking hot air out of the top of your tent)? In my 2x4 veg tent I just have a little 4" inline fan that extracts the hot air and I leave the bottom zipper partly unzipped to let cool air in. With my 216w t5 fluorescent veg light that seems to be enough to keep temps good in the tent. My tent is in the basement so ambient air temps are in low to mid 70's down there. Like pop mentioned it's good to keep the air circulating. I like to have a fan going at the canopy too because my plants get closer to the light than I'd like sometimes and it seems to help keep them from getting too hot and stressed.

DoloDankness

place the smaller fan at ground level and have it pointed into one of the corners
this will bring in fresh air but not direct any air at the plants, we are just circulating the air in the lower canopy
i hear you about heat and usually shut down the indoor during this time of year

I tried that brother my room just gets way too warm in the summer time, its just circulating hot air haha. I have the veg tent just set up next to the closet door. It's practically a heater in my room. Im okay with taking cuts this winter and then running those cuts this spring.

DoloDankness

Good afternoon DoloDankness.
Your plants are looking great! The streach is usually over by the end of week 3 so your almost there.
As far as heat issues what are you using for your air exchange fan (fan sucking hot air out of the top of your tent)? In my 2x4 veg tent I just have a little 4" inline fan that extracts the hot air and I leave the bottom zipper partly unzipped to let cool air in. With my 216w t5 fluorescent veg light that seems to be enough to keep temps good in the tent. My tent is in the basement so ambient air temps are in low to mid 70's down there. Like pop mentioned it's good to keep the air circulating. I like to have a fan going at the canopy too because my plants get closer to the light than I'd like sometimes and it seems to help keep them from getting too hot and stressed.

sadly I don't have an inline fan for my veg tent. I should have one but well its in my room so I could use without the sucking noise when im trying to catch some zzz's lol! Im gonna be investing into a really awesome affordable light that you guys should look at. One of my buddies from Canada makes them, he says you can source the same equipment from a foreign country but it will amount to the same he is charging. Seems like a pretty awesome light, its liquid cooled and you can control every aspect of it. I'm gonna leave a link to it so you guys can check it out. www.growwiserbud.com

DoloDankness

Alright guys this week is gonna have two updates, one from week 3 of flower and one from week 4. week 4s update should be tomorrow. Sorry for the staggered updates, but we're here. I did another top dressing on day 21, and watered with more molasses. They seem to be doing amazing the only thing I could find to complain about is the red stemmed leaves, I believe that's a phosphorus deficient but not 100% sure. I don't think I should be that concerned about it, but if I should let me know. Things are starting to frost up too which I am super excited about. Thank you to everyone who helped me thus far!!

Week 3 Flower overview shot

Chewy Runtz #1

Lemon Up #2

Lemon Up #1

Fiddynut

Greetings DoloDankness.
Looking good brother! I'm guessing that the stretch is over and your girls are going to spend the next few weeks stacking buds. They look happy to me.
I get red stems often as well. From what I've been reading it can be a genetic trait of a deficiency. I believe that I've read that it is often a magnesium deficiency but when I've tried to correct for it my plants usually don't do well. In fact I never seem to have good results when I try to correct for a perceived deficiency which makes me think that I'm not diagnosing properly. One good piece of advice I read here was that you shouldn't try to correct for a deficiency that you went sure about because your bound to make things worse. My strategy is to try to keep the feed as balanced as possible because too much of any one thing can start to cause lockouts and deficiency of other nutrients.

DoloDankness

Greetings DoloDankness.
Looking good brother! I'm guessing that the stretch is over and your girls are going to spend the next few weeks stacking buds. They look happy to me.
I get red stems often as well. From what I've been reading it can be a genetic trait of a deficiency. I believe that I've read that it is often a magnesium deficiency but when I've tried to correct for it my plants usually don't do well. In fact I never seem to have good results when I try to correct for a perceived deficiency which makes me think that I'm not diagnosing properly. One good piece of advice I read here was that you shouldn't try to correct for a deficiency that you went sure about because your bound to make things worse. My strategy is to try to keep the feed as balanced as possible because too much of any one thing can start to cause lockouts and deficiency of other nutrients.

You’re right Fiddy it’s definitely magnesium. But again you’re right it could be nothing. Just seen something in a video the other day about it and had me thinking. The chewy runtz doesn’t seem to have any red stems but both of the lemon up do, so I’m going to diagnose it as a genetic trait.

DoloDankness

Here we are all caught up. Week 4 of flower. I'm not too impressed with the bud production. A new flower light is going to be needed before next run. Regardless the smells are amazing. Definitely goin to be some decent smoke. This week I tried to show you guys the nug structures on each plant.

Overhead shot

Chewy Runtz #1 bud structure (has around 7-8 main colas)

Lemon Up #2 bud structure (9-11 main colas)

Lemon Up #1 bud structure (10-13 main colas)

Fiddynut

Here we are all caught up. Week 4 of flower. I'm not too impressed with the bud production. A new flower light is going to be needed before next run. Regardless the smells are amazing. Definitely goin to be some decent smoke. This week I tried to show you guys the nug structures on each plant.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=83124&pictureid=2060759&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
Overhead shot

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=83124&pictureid=2060760&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
Chewy Runtz #1 bud structure (has around 7-8 main colas)

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=83124&pictureid=2060761&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
Lemon Up #2 bud structure (9-11 main colas)

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=83124&pictureid=2060762&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
Lemon Up #1 bud structure (10-13 main colas)
Greetings DD.
Still looking good to me brother! They have nice color and leaves look happy to me. Plants that smell great almost always have really nicely tasting buds in my experience. As far as bud production give them some time they might surprise you.
It's hard to know with LED lights now much is the optimum amount of light for.that space. A 600a HPS is just right for a 3x3. I've looked to find out what is the equivalent of a 600 in LED but get all kinds of different answers. More light means more heat as well.
Keep up the good work buddy!

DoloDankness

Hey guys sorry for the unexpected absence again. Just got a new job and have been trying to manage my time correctly. Im finally gettin a chance to update you guys on the closet a LOT has changed. I fed the plants at week 1 and week 3 and am noticing nitrogen burn, but am also noticing a small amount of fade. One day the humidity get terrible in the closet, was up to almost 70%. All is well now. Here are some photos from week 5 of flower.

Overhead

Chewy Runtz #1 has a nice gelato smell to it

Lemon Up #2, wish I had a cut of this one. The terps on this is straight lime skittles. Very nice nug structure.

Lemon Up #1, not as much frost has a lemon rubber scent to it.

DoloDankness

Week 6 Update I started to notice the plants leaves are starting to yellow looking like tie dye, so im thinking they have a cal mag defficiency. I just fed them with 1/4 strength of a bottled nutrient to see if it would help them green out at all. How much Epsom salts do you guys recommend per gallon? Here are the pics of week 6. Also to add I want a new light this is just not the kind of nug density and canopy penetration im looking for.

Overhead

Chewy Runtz #1

Lemon Up #2 Lime Skittle pheno

Lemon Up #1 Lemon Rubber pheno

Fiddynut

Greetings Do!oDankness.
Congratulations on your new job! I hope it brings you great opportunity.
The two top shots look good to me, including the color of the leaves. Some of the close ups show the lighter color that I think your talking about. My other observations are the thin leaves in some of the pics and the flowers don't look very developed for week 6 to me. I have to wonder if the plants are sativa leaning and that gives them the thin leaves and as we know sativas take longer to flower so maybe that's why the flowers don't look like they are as far along as I'd think they would be. I've only grown hybrids that have all been indica leaning so I don't have much experience with that.
I would usually expect color to start fading on my girls by week 6 and normally wouldn't worry about that. Because your flowers need more time you might want to correct by upping feed of adding calcium and or mag. But if you think you see burn then maybe not. I fried some plants with cal\mag once so I don't use it at all anymore I just add oyster shell powder and gypsum and SRP to my soil. When you mention you have only feed your plants twice I just have to wonder if that's enough. I feed about 1\2 strength pure blend pro nutrients every time I water which is about every three days and I'm in half happy frog and half ocean forest. I feed lighter the first couple weeks of flower.
I'm not surely this helps or not because we might be in very different soils and our environments are certainly diffrent.
Keep us posted!

DoloDankness

Greetings Do!oDankness.
Congratulations on your new job! I hope it brings you great opportunity.
The two top shots look good to me, including the color of the leaves. Some of the close ups show the lighter color that I think your talking about. My other observations are the thin leaves in some of the pics and the flowers don't look very developed for week 6 to me. I have to wonder if the plants are sativa leaning and that gives them the thin leaves and as we know sativas take longer to flower so maybe that's why the flowers don't look like they are as far along as I'd think they would be. I've only grown hybrids that have all been indica leaning so I don't have much experience with that.
I would usually expect color to start fading on my girls by week 6 and normally wouldn't worry about that. Because your flowers need more time you might want to correct by upping feed of adding calcium and or mag. But if you think you see burn then maybe not. I fried some plants with cal\mag once so I don't use it at all anymore I just add oyster shell powder and gypsum and SRP to my soil. When you mention you have only feed your plants twice I just have to wonder if that's enough. I feed about 1\2 strength pure blend pro nutrients every time I water which is about every three days and I'm in half happy frog and half ocean forest. I feed lighter the first couple weeks of flower.
I'm not surely this helps or not because we might be in very different soils and our environments are certainly diffrent.
Keep us posted!

Thanks Fiddy, yea for sure that one is definitely a sativa leaning hybrid. Im thinking of letting her go 10 weeks maybe even longer depending on how the trichomes look. I do think it is a cal mag thing, I didn't post a picture of the yellowed leaves cause I forgot to take a picture, its towards the bottoms of the plants. I definitely learned how much I should take off of the bottoms as well so that I won't have any tiny larf nugs. thank you for the advice and input as always brotha, ill try to make it to your thread tomorrow or the next.

Latest posts

Latest posts