What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3600w Vertical Coco hut - hurtz the eyes

JBM

Hey, new to here, but not new to the scene... enough chit chat, lets get down to business.

So heres the specs

Room size:

6' W (1.8 m) x 8' T (2.4 m) x 16' L (4.8 m) for a total of 768 cubic feet (21.7 m3).

Wattage:

6 - 600w HPS, spaced every 4' down the middle. 3 on a bottom row and 3 on a top row.

Strains:

Bottom row: Super Jack
Top row: OG kush (don't know what cut), Sour D (original clone, not Rez's rework) & something called Orange Crush... whatever that is *shrugs*. All I know is they are all stretchy sativas.

Environmental Controls:

CanMax 10 with Can 125 filter on 24/7, creating a negative air pressure (smell). The fan is rated at around 1050cfm, so I'm exchanging the air in the room every 45'ish seconds. Air is being pulled from under the house (coolest place to pull), through a high grade air filter.

There are 3 - 6" 400cfm axial fans that sit under neath each set of bulbs, as to help cool and distribute the heat around the room (Thank you GreenBasterd for that idea.

Medium and Nutrients:

Everything is in Down to Earth coco, from compressed coco blocks. The runoff was horrible... 1900ppm and took about 6 rinses to get it down to about 500ppm (my tap water is 250ppm). Each plant is in 3 gallon pots.

Nutrients are H3ads coco formula (modified Lucas formula for coco). If you wish to know more about it, its a sticky at the top of the coco section. I use GH Micro Hardwater because of my hard'ish water. When mixed up with 7ml/gallon of Humic acid/hygrozyme I have a ph of 6.4... couldn't ask for better IMO... so no ph'ing required.

Quickly I'll explain H3ads formula: 6ml of GH Micro & 9ml of GH Bloom per gallon, with about a teaspoon of epsom salt (sulfur and magnesium) to about 30 gallons. For 8 week strain, run that until about week 6, then switch to bloom only at 9ml a gallon. Couldn't get easier or more effective for so cheap. Why spend so much on all this snake oil when you could spend almost nothing and get the same/better results? IDK, its like rims on cars, they get you there either way.

I'd like to pay homage to Green Bastard (Cannabis culture forums) for his wonderful room and little tricks around it & our own native... who has left us :badday: Northern Farmer, with his HP Stadium (do a search and read if you don't know). This room is a hybrid between both of their styles and techniques. I had this limited space, so needed to work with it and was a great excuse to run a vert setup.

I just clicked them to flowering yesterday, so you get to skip all the boring veg part. I'll update probably weekly.

O, ya, here's some pics to keep you happy :muahaha:

46155Another_length_of_room-med.jpg

46155Bottom_row-med.jpg

46155Closeup-med.jpg

46155Cooling_fan-med.jpg

Spot Cooling bulbs (again, thanks GB)

46155Better_length-med.jpg

Later :wave:

whodi

Veteran
excellent. I'm very interested in doing some vertical growing so this should be interesting. Thanks for sharing your work.

vertical growing is the most elite as it doesn't use a reflector eh?

all the commercial grow ops I see on urban grower are all vertically hanging lights and he never comments on them not having reflectors

G

guest5703

Now that's a cool setup, sweet work dude I can't wait for your results!

The runoff was horrible... 1900ppm and took about 6 rinses to get it down to about 500ppm (my tap water is 250ppm). Each plant is in 3 gallon pots.

Wow that is horrible, shit good thing you rinsed. I would hate to see if you didn't, I gotta get a ppm meter man, I have been guessing that my tap water is around 300ppm just from the start and it sounds like your is too. 6 rinses?!?! lol good work though.

Eijneb

Thank you for sharing this. Quite interesting. I assume you bring the top row down to water them? Or are you just hydrating them to keep them wet with no runoff?

JBM

Eijneb, caligreen, gregor_mendel, captain.koons, whodi, HI! :wave: Happy to have you stop by the hut.

whodi, hopefully I'll be able to show you the right and wrong :D things to do.

captain, vertical lighting is the most efficient method. Most of the time you get about 1 gram per watt with vertical, if so, then I have 3600w which is about 8lbs.

gregor, I clicked them last night, so as far as they're concerned, they are in a veg mode.

cali, I don't trust any of the bricked coco, every brand I've gotten has had a high salt runoff. I just rinse them a lot and test the runoff until I feel its acceptable.

Eijneb, I have been doing minimal runoff for right now, but little saucers will be going under the top row. The bottom row is on the ground and the ground is lined with poly, so no issues there.

Again, thanks for stopping by and I'll update progress weekly. Until then I'm happy to answer any and all questions I can.

Later :wave:

G

Wud up JBM? Plants are lookin' good man. I'm diggin' the shelves. I'd love to run a system like this but I wouldn't be able to cool the place down. Show 'em how it's done J. :bow:

JBM

chubbynugs, Even_Steven & MoleMcHenry, thanks for stopping by. Hello :wave:

Hopefully I will show ya'll a great show!

Next update tomorrow. Nothing special, just stretching a bunch, probably gonna hit em with some bushmaster to speed things up a bit.

bergerbuddy

Canna Coco grower
Veteran
Hey I think your room looks FANTASTIC!! and what a great idea!!.... it does look like there is a lot of unused floor space right beneath that lowest light... but prby no room to put plant without burning em eh??

Anyways.. you know.. I've grown with coco now for hmm... 4 yrs, and I've tried a lot of different nutes... but nothing.. and I do mean NOTHING.. beats just standard canna coco with canna nutes given on the low side.... and maybe ONE good dump of PK 13/14 in the middle of the 5-6th week of bud...

I love your idea of utilitzing space and I hope your nutes give you plants that utilize that space!! I look forward to pix in oh.. say 5wks or so!! that being said.. do please post pix sooner than that.. watching how these plants form and take up space and hold themselves up or how you prop them once buds start building.. ought to be very interesting!!

Peace
BB

I

impeachme2

Nice room! Have you done runs with that room before, or is this the first? I wanted to know how much the plants stretch from a vertical grow like that, less than 2x?

whodi

Veteran
how do you veg with with vertical.. from clone? do you start out horizontal for a lil while, then move to vertical? or start straight vertical lighting?

Also, what is a good amount of lighting to use for vertical vegging.. without wasting too much power? I figure you dont need 3800 watts of MH to veg so what would be best?

Grizz

Veteran
very interesting setup, curious why you dident go stadium like northern farmer? I copyed his room , 8 ft long 6 ft wide 8 ft high, 3 1000w down the middle, 5 shelves on each side. best system I have ever used. The size of your room would be perfect for it. Not knocking your grow just curious.

JBM

bergerbuddy, impeachme2, joesy whales Hello :wave:

bergerbuddy, thank you for the compliments. I have no issues with H3ads coco formula, its the best growth I've seen in a very long while. Simple, cheap and effective! As for floor space, I could fit more, but I like to keep the plant count down.

impeachme2, this is my first vertical setup. The stretch depends on the strain and I'm running all strains that stretch quite a bit. I'm hitting them with bushmaster with the next watering (2 days) to speed up the budding and stop the stretch.

whodi, I vegged for a little bit with horizontal, then when they were about 1' tall I started to veg in them vertically. It would have been a waste of power to veg them vertically. I vegged inside 4" pots and 15 of them fit in one normal cloning tray. So I vegged under 1 - 600w. 600w vs 3600w... you get it.

joesy whales, the reason I didn't go stadium like NF because he had a very high plant count, I like to stay out of jail :D. Also I'm not staying in this spot for long so I had time to veg long enough and keep the plant count down. I will probably still yield as much as NF. He yielded 8lbs off of 4k and I should yield about 8lbs with 3600w. Also I like being able to walk around, unlike NF :biglaugh:

Heres the pics and updates:

Well... IC isn't letting me upload pics.... so I'll try in the next couple days. Don't worry, not really missing anything.

whodi

Veteran
nice JBM, much appreciated. keep the knowledge and updates coming.

i agree on the plant counts. I don't think some people realize how risky it is when growing high plant counts in these vertical setups. I think a lot of people think the higher the plant count, the higher the yield. To each their own though. Growing trees is what i want to accomplish with this vertical growing. Prepetual tree harvest. 2 month veg while others are flowering for 2 months.

Heath Robinson from hg forums got 5 pounds from 2 ak47 plants.. 1800 watts.. vegged for 6 weeks under 600.. he used a modified waterfarm system.

-whodi

Last edited:
I

impeachme2

whodi, I will be doing the same thing in the near future. ~12 plants vegging for 2 months, while another 12 plants will be flowering. Both vertical, with a 400W cmh for veg and a 1k HPS for flower. I am wondering if going vertical reduces stretch, since noth my veg and flower cab will be in the same vertical space, limited by an 8' ceiling. As of right now, I am making the flower cab 5' high and the veg cab 3' high, going on the assumption that a 2' plant will only stretch to 4' in a vertical grow. Do you guys think they will stretch more than 2x vertically?

Are you going to water by hand throughout the flower cycle?

I'd imagine it'd be pretty challenging to try and maneuver around those lights, especially once the plants have doubled in size.

Last edited:
G

guest5703

Yea I hear ya on the bricked stuff, I usually buy bag but I'm pretty sure you get more coco for your buck in a brick right? Keep it up where these dank ladies bro?!?!?!