What's new

36 Years since Jimi's death

GoodbyeBlueSky

Laxpunker said:
He's not saying Prince is the best guitar player (I believe), he's just saying he's the closest one to Jimi's style. That I'll give him, even though I hate Purple Rain.

well if that's the case i gotta disagree... both Jimi (Hendrix) and Jimmy (Page) based their guitar playing and music heavily on Willie Dixon... old school blues...

i think Prince sounds more like David Gilmour on the gee-tar

Laxpunker

Eh...Page and Hendrix were around at the same time, I consider them the same era (despite Zeppelin lasting longer). Prince came after Hendrix was gone, he didn't make his first album until 75 I think. At this point he was drawing on a lot of artists; Page, James Brown, Sly Stone, and lastly our main man Hendrix.

I really can't explain this very well, I play some instruments but aside from the saxaphone I've either taught myself or friends have helped so I'm lacking in the technical terms that really help in a musical debate. I'll end this argument for one reason, we're detracting from this threads original intent.

RIP Hendrix, if only you had known what you'd have become...

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Monteray was the first time people really took notice of Jimi he blew everyone away.
I agree Laxpunker I dont think Prince can be compared to Hendrix , Page , or Clapton. Just no real comparison to me. Of course thats just my .02 cents worth but I have seen each of them.

Last edited:

SuperZero

James-Bong said:
Yo, I can respect your Opinion about prince, the guy can play some guitar..... But Comparing him to Jimi would be like comparing George W. to FDR

IMO, Jimi was the last Musical genius of our time. A true Self taught music miracle.

As far as the comment about the greatest living Gutarist..... IMO, that title sits with Mr. Clapton.

jb :sasmokin:

I think Claypool is a musical genius(self taught,) but I'm a weirdo.

GoodbyeBlueSky

SuperZero said:
I think Claypool is a musical genius(self taught,) but I'm a weirdo.

nothing weird about that... Claypool's probobly the most skilled bassist that's ever walked the earth...

what is it with dead rock stars (i.e. Cobain) that makes us choose to remember them on the day they died rather than their birthday or something?

kinda morbid

buckeye-leaf

cannabis enthusiast
Veteran
Jimi is one of my favorite musicians ever. The blacklight on with Jimi pouring his soul through his guitar is amazing! "When the power of love overcomes the love of power...the world will know peace" -Jimi

M

Mr. Nevermind

GoodbyeBlueSky said:
nothing weird about that... Claypool's probobly the most skilled bassist that's ever walked the earth...

what is it with dead rock stars (i.e. Cobain) that makes us choose to remember them on the day they died rather than their birthday or something?

kinda morbid

Its those 3 year legends we all love. They come, play for 3 years and die. Jimi, Janice, Jim Morrison, Kobain.All of whom were around and gave us music for 3 years, but those 3 years always change music

nevermind

GoodbyeBlueSky

Mr. Nevermind said:
Its those 3 year legends we all love. They come, play for 3 years and die. Jimi, Janice, Jim Morrison, Kobain.All of whom were around and gave us music for 3 years, but those 3 years always change music

:yeahthats

all members of the 27 club...

'the light that burns twice as bright burns only half as long'

robobond

Future Psychopharmacologist
rest in peave jimi. Definatly the best guitarist of our generation. Next imo is Clapton tho remember its my opinion.

M

Mr. Nevermind

robobond said:
rest in peave jimi. Definatly the best guitarist of our generation. Next imo is Clapton tho remember its my opinion.

What do you mean its an opinion? its a fact, remember. CLAPTON IS GOD
Sorry i had to say it.

Nevermind

Tarkus

Mother Nature's Son
Veteran
Another very skilled guitarist who is self taught is Stevie Ray Vaughan. Another one of the great masters and definitely a personal favorite. No one can quite play like he did, and I wish Jimi stuck around long enough to jam with him. That would have been the greatest jam session of all time. It is a shame most of the greats die so young... :badday: Stevie used to have dreams about meeting Jimi and jamming with him, his wife said Stevie would air guitar in his sleep, often waking her up.

Keith Emerson of the Nice and, of course, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, originally asked Jimi Hendrix to join the band, instead of Greg Lake. Lake is a good guitarist/bassist and vocalist, but can you imagine Keith Emerson on the moog with Jimi on guitar? If Jimi had lived a little while longer, I am sure we would have seen it. It is just a shame he died as ELP was just starting to pick up speed.

It would have been amazing to see Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray and Clapton all play little wing together...

M

Mr. Nevermind

SRV was a maniac!! Great blues player. Horrible addict though. i watched an interview where he said he would dump coke into his whiskey and drink it. really sad. But he was a great player.

nevermind

G

MMM JIMI

MMM JIMI

The most beautiful man in the world.
I was fortunate enough to be born on his birthday!

robobond

Future Psychopharmacologist
Any guitars players here who play his music. I can play purple haze and star spangeled banner but I really want to play little wing bad lol. Tough song.

Tarkus

Mother Nature's Son
Veteran
I used to play some Hendrix...have not really kept up with it though. I listen to at least one song of his everyday...at least one. But then again, the same goes for Pink Floyd, ELP, ELO and many others, but still.

On a lighter note, people that were born today:
Frankie Avalon, singer
Kerry Livgren, singer for Kansas
Dee Dee Ramone, bassist for the Ramones
Lance Armstrong, cyclist
Great Garbo, actress
Xzibit, rapper
and who cant forget Queen Anne of Romania and pope Gregory XVI?

Fatboy

yes Jimi is the man....
played a strat upsidedown.

just bought Jimi plays berkeley.....
i try and copy some of his riffs....

he will live forever in his music... :headbange

J

James-Bong

Mr. Nevermind said:
What do you mean its an opinion? its a fact, remember. CLAPTON IS GOD
Sorry i had to say it.

Nevermind

Where do u see anyone saying this is a fact????

We are all entitled to opinions....