What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3 plus 3=?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
hehe, well I can't say this as if I know something, but I want to rule out the possabilities. Last round I got a lower ratio of tris than I would have expected from a trixtri. I Suspect a quadxbi would give the highest ratio, with quad x tri being the most interesting (see side line lol), but just to rule out the possability of the bi branches from tri plants carrying more bi pollen than tri pollen, I wanted to make sure that all pollen used had the tri genes and not bi genes (even if thats only tri genes turned on rather than off). Although saying that, the trixquad sideline is a quad that reverted, and was cut back to the last quad node, and the bi branch from an old tri sideline father that never got the chance when he was in his prime. I figure that the numbers I get from testing the 2 sets of seeds will let me know which is more important, the area pollen is taken from, or the starting genes of the parent plant as a whole. I realise that using a mother that reverted is not the best ideal, but its only a sideline to play with. Should get a nice number of quads to play with and try to find a couple of stable ones. Then it'll be time for a new thread.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Well not time for a new thread yet, but no harm in starting the search. 1st 2 candidates:

Weed Smoka OG

tag, massive f***in' tag

first time i have seen multi-branch inbreeding. im actually surprised the big seedlabs haven't done this before considering the numbers of plants they must go through, anyway, thanks for taking the time to do it mate, will watch with a close eye

can i subscribe to your newsletter?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hi Smoka, I'm glad you like this, so far its quite an aquired taste, as in its mainly the same faces who've been watching for a couple of years now who follow my threads. Always happy to add a new face though. In my opinion, the seed banks want quick new crosses to relaese to the market, and the hype and infighting within the seed world is crazy. Not to mention the amount of nonsense spouted about these types of plants. Its not really worth the time and trouble for them to do the work and then try and dispell the myths. I have no doubt if I get to where I want mine, the main seedbanks will just buy a pack and do some F1 crosses to their strains and release theirs then. Its much easier for them and much less time consuming. Perhaps they still wont be interested though, and maybe thats just my ego talking, who knows till the time comes. Until then, sit back and watch the show. Not sure if the newsletter was a joke or if thats something some people actually do, for me a thread takes more time than I want to put in at times.

Weed Smoka OG

I've only recently come back to the world wide weed scene, and the advancements in techniques in the last 2 years have really astonished me. Stadium grows, vertical grows are common place nowadays, aeroponics has become a well established and defined science, everyone and their mum has a cool tube, and you are on what seems to be the edge of the cannabis development scene.

I dropped out just after OG went down, it was hard to move into a new scene, so i didn't bother. Then a few months down the line I got ripped off, find out people i thought were friends had been stealing from me etc etc. So I took a few years off from the grow scene.

What I think Im trying to say is Im very happy there are people like yourself around to tempt me back into a place I never thought I would leave, and wouldn't have is circumstances had not conspired against me so greatly.

Oh and the newsletter thing, sort of the wrong use for it, looking back its really more of a sarcastic thing, but if you had one mate, I'd want to read it.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Well that has to be one of the nicest compliments you could have given me, thanks. Once you find out about my set up, you may re-think the cutting edge comment lol, really I know you are refering to the plants. And if I weren't so modest I'd agree with you ;).

Update time:
Well I left the final transplant of the tri girl too late, and she started to feed on herself, which even after the transplant she hasnt stopped doing. So the state of this girl is down to grower lazyness. At first I blamed it on a new compost I'm trying out, but as you'll see from the quad girl, I cant really do that.
The is the tri single cola, 4 weeks from start of flower in 2 days, and pollinated, recovering with new pistils.

You see how shes feeding on her own leaves here, not pretty, not good.

Here is one of the tops of the quad girl, I had more pics to upload but I havent demassivied them so they are taking ages to upload, so I got bored and didnt do them all, so its just one top and the topped site for now on her, the main points are, healthy leaves in the same compost from siblings but well and poorly timed transplants. She is 3 weeks tomorrow into flowering and pollinated, she was done a little later and hasnt recoverd fully yet.

The site where she was topped, each of the 4 branches formed with no problems.

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice update GMT but what do you do when she has 2 little food...you feed her extra or are you just letting them go....almost can't be i think...:chin:
Btw hope you won wiht Poker last night lol...

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Levit, I'll try, thanks for stopping by,

Hey Core, thanks mate, I did think of you when I spent the best part of an hour waiting for those to upload, I thought, "that Core better not give me any shit this time" lmao. I knew I needed to do a transplant with her about 10 days before I did it, so it got pretty root bound, which then takes em longer to grow into a new pot. I'm not feeding them, although I have started, and I know some will think "newbie" when I say this, but, I have started to give anything I seed, a shot of the miracle grow granules at pollination. But that is it, and if she doesnt stop feeding on herself, well yes it'll harm yield, but hey, not much trimming to do. The only way I control food supply is in the choice of compost and how much they have to grow into. The only food (normally) is whats available to them in the compost. This girl still hasnt grown into her new container properly, due to having been rootbound, so as she stretches out her roots, she'll get access to all the food she needs. Adding more now would cause trouble later as she found a double helping just as the flush should start. Although never adding food (appart from pollination) I dont bother with the flush, each watering is a mini flush anyway really. On the poker front, I was just outside the money, and got taken down with a full house against my ace high flush. Although it was my fault for going all in with a pair on the board. The end of it all was lots of time / no reward. Ah well, always next time.

Hi Pirate, the tri's are fairly old news in my threads, but the quads are pretty new to us all. Still around, see what else we find.

packn2puff

IC Official Assistant to the Insistent
Veteran
So what you're saying is the Lazy Growing thread has spilled onto this one..hehe..
Most of my problems occur from procrastination, but I'll do better tomorrow..

I like to set the root-bound plant out of it's pot..examine the roots and try and find the ends..then pick them loose with a toothpick till they're hanging..
Then plant in new pot with the mating soil in the new container very loose..this seems to help them get out of the knot they've become and ready to travel on..
Just a thought..

Go quady go.. :woohoo:

Core

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hehehehe ok thanks for the explenation GMT...woz just wondering how you dealt with this ..i'll shut up now :biglaugh:
ohw and pitty you had bad cards buddy ..better luck next time...:wave::lurk:

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
packn2puff said:
So what you're saying is the Lazy Growing thread has spilled onto this one..hehe..
Most of my problems occur from procrastination, but I'll do better tomorrow..

I like to set the root-bound plant out of it's pot..examine the roots and try and find the ends..then pick them loose with a toothpick till they're hanging..
Then plant in new pot with the mating soil in the new container very loose..this seems to help them get out of the knot they've become and ready to travel on..
Just a thought..

Go quady go.. :woohoo:

wow my ladies would love your gentleness... i usually man handle the rootbaal, yankin at it, untill a decent amount of roots are hanging/broken off. seems to get them to send new roots out into the new soil faster.

GMT- great thread, i had a polyploid I just had to yank,,, starting throwing balls on one of her branches... damn trannies.

take care bro,
bartender187

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hey Packn, lol, yeah you got it in one. I'm afraid I'm not that attentive to them, if I was, I wouldn't have let it get as bad as I did, seems to be settling down a bit now.
Hey Core, yeah, I'm afraid I dont have any magic potions to recommend, although I have now put an additional layer of fresh compost on the top , so it'll kind of mini top feed the old soil as I water. I'm having rather poor luck in cards, which is very odd, as I did hear a saying that I took to mean I should be very lucky at cards. Ah well, I used to spend more on space invaders when that was about.
Hey Bar-T, glad ya joined the circus/party (depending on your view) lol, Yeah trannies get shown the door by me too :) ya make one welcome and lots more start showing up later. When ya get a chance, have a look through the first few pages, as we discuss the whole polyploid issue . I'm convinced that these, technically, aren't polyploids, although I know I could be wrong. Gonna need someone with some serious equipment, or a Very big magnifying glass to find out lol. Anyway, good to have you along, will try to include more pics soon.

hanfiking

Sweet I'm hanging around to see this. I am a big fan of lazy growing being lazy and growing hehe respect to GMT for sharing your work with us!!!

Pimpslapped

Been lurking in this thread off and on for a while, love the lazy style and am pretty much doing the same sort of grow. Kinda. Little less lazy until I'm able to sustain my stash, then I'll get more lazy.

I'm so excited though, looks like I might have my first baby tri... from bagseed. Came out with 3 cotyleden, but so far it looks like the first leaf set has 2 'normal' and a dwarf. Gonna see what happens with this one.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hi Hanf, Hi Pimpslapped,
yep its all about getting an easy smoke for me, you couldn't go commercial doing this, but keeping my own stash is doable so long as I dont get too lazy, like this time, I will run out for a few weeks but thats only due to taking a break between flowering and starting new seeds. Glad you both find a reason to keep coming back, I'll make sure I get pics up at some point of this week. So you have your own baby tri going hey Pimpslapped. The 2+1 thing is quite common, and you may find that the +1 dissappears at some point, on the other hand it may just keep growing tri and the +1 can just be the last on that node to reach full size, there doesnt seem to be any hard and fast rules, what you do find is that the ones with the angles pretty mercedes like tend to stay tri and the ones with 2 at 180 degrees and the +1 slipped in at 90 degrees are more likely to revert to normallity. They all start a bit smaller than the regulars, I can only assume its because they have more to fit into a shell designed for 2 cottys not 3 or 4. They soon catch up though and tend to finish at the same hight as their siblings. Feel free to post it up here if you wish.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Well what do ya know, some pics ;
not the best quality, but the tripod couldn't reach the angles I wanted, so had to do em freehand, posted big anyway to make it see like there's more of em in this thread. 2 plants, the single cola tri and the topped quad, both seeded.

DimeBag65

You will not be forgotten
Veteran
Im still along for the show GMT, quite interested to see what comes of your crosses :D

everything is looking good, the last picture you posted is looking really tasty! Hope your having a great week and i will be watchin for more updates. :wave:

Core

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hia GMT...sorry for the delay but had a buisy weekend....those are looking good my friend...howlong when they finish up...looks like a little while longer?
Nway they look green and healthy,and thats what i like :smile: