What's new

2nd CFL grow lowryders

Well I'm by 2nd grow growing some lowryders. Started off with 24/0 for the first three weeks with each having its own 25 watter.Switched to 18/6 about a week ago and added an extra 20 watts to each plant . I have to fem LR going . They are currently in 1 gallon buckets. I think I am about @ day 28 but I didn't keep track.

Here are some pics from yesterday

beancounter

Veteran
Just my humble opinion, but I think they could get by with about 1/2 as much medium without effecting yeild at all. But they do look realy good and I can't wait to see how they turn out.

I know it's not a big cost difference on 2 small plants, just thought I'd let you know in case you grow a bunch more of the LR and want to save some medium and take up less floorspace.

Looks like you are using a peat-based soiless mix like Promix or Sunshine mix. I use the same thing..

Here is a White Widow in a 1 gallon pot (maybe 1 1/4 gallon, it's an 8" shallow) in SSM#4 that yeilded just over 3 oz. She was fed with chem nutes, which may help her lil better in a small pot, but even with organic she would have done well I'm sure.

This pic is at 55 days, she went to 67.

I apologize for adding these off topic pics and I'll remove them if you'd like.

Good luck with your girls!

Bean those are the most beautiful plants I have ever seen in a 1 gallon pot. As for Lowryder I can't speak from experience but I think they are more space dependent than most strains. My 1st grow I had them in 6" pots which is about 1/2 gallon. I only yeilded about 6gs, with my LRs now bieng in 1 gallon pots I think I will at least double that.

skryllz

I would grow them hydro if you can. I grow 3-4 LR together, DWC in 3 gal rubbermaids and pull atleast 10 grams a plant, with only 151w cfl (a 125w + a 26w). I can fit two of these tubs in my cab at the same time and pull anywhere between 35-60 grams off each one, my best being 99 grams between two tubs. Heres some pictures from past grows.

beancounter

Veteran
Supacalabala said:
Bean those are the most beautiful plants I have ever seen in a 1 gallon pot. As for Lowryder I can't speak from experience but I think they are more space dependent than most strains. My 1st grow I had them in 6" pots which is about 1/2 gallon. I only yeilded about 6gs, with my LRs now bieng in 1 gallon pots I think I will at least double that.

Thanks for the compliment, she was a beauty and on my 1st grow with that cut, so I was quite suprised.

Wasn't too sure about the root dependcy of LR. It jus looked like a lot of mix for the size of plant that's already flowering. I'm sure you did the resaerch on them and like you said, your 1st ones didn't do as well as they could have in less medium.

I will be starting 20 LRs soon, so I'll try a few in different sized pots for fun. I'll do a 1l pot, a 6" square, a 1 gal, and a 2 gal to see what kinda difference it makes.

I'd love to see some root shots of them when you're done.

Do you start them off in 1 gals? I'd suspect they'd benifit from being started in their finishing pots and given good wet/dry cycles to get the roots to fill the pot prior to flowering.

I can't wait to see the results.

beancounter

Veteran
fieldgrower said:
lowryders are very root space dpendent, been growing them for some time, 3 gallons for LR work best

Good to know. Do you start them in the 3 gals? Seems like a ton of medium for 10-15g per plant.

What kind of yeilds do you get from a 3 gal in your experience.

I want to grow them to the best of their ability, but I certainly don't have enough room for 20 3 gal pots.

And DAMN skryllz! Those are some Chunky Monkeys!

sm0kateer4204

Veteran
i have seen lowryder's preform alot better in larger container's than smaller one's. but i can tell you right now it's not your container size that hurt your yield last grow. it was your wattage. 70 watt's isnt much light. get 20 dollars and replace a 20 and a 25 watt with 2 45 watt's cfl's from walmart. you will like the dense larger bud's more wattage give's you. but none the less your setup right now seem's to be pretty effective for growing weed. nice job.

skryllz- I've seen your grow before and I must those are some very very impressive LRs you grew.I might try hydro after I get some more experience under my belt.

beancounter- I plant them in 8 oz foam cups for about 10 days then transplant. You could tell which are female from the second set of leaves that come out.

Here are some high rez pics I had to resize a bit. The females are a bit narrow and have more of a curve.

here is a shot of 3 LRs the one the leftt is male

LR has 3 different phenos
1. micro very small pheno
2. short and a bit compact
3. Tall and lanky

The females your looking at in the pick above are the second pheno and easy to sex by looking at the leaves. The 3rd pheno is a bit trickier to sex by looking at the leaves. The leaves are a bit more razor like. The 2 LRs I have going right in the 1 gallon pots are the short/compact and the tall/lanky ones both were transplanted before pistols showing.

sm0kateer4204- Thanks for the advice. Here's a pic of my setup I can put a total of 12 CFLs . I currently have them under cool whites. On day 30 I'm going to switch to warm whites.

Thank you to everyone that posted.

supa... u say u can tell the sex of these plants by the leaf structure??

how u doin that??

i didnt think it was possible to distinguish a male from a female by their leaves??

i like ur cabinet setup... i am planning to setup a CFL microgrow in the corner of my bedroom... i will still continue to grow in my other closets... but micro growing really intersts me for some odd reason... i really like the look of small cannabis plants that are in full flower...

i not long finished a lowryder grow myself... i got 3 females frm 5 seeds which i thought was alright... i used CFLs from start to finish... the yield wasnt spectacular but i thought the smoke was quite pleasant...

i still got 5 LR seeds left so i think when i setup this micro grow cab in my bedroom i will grow the rest of the LRs out for seeds for future grows...

Maybe it was the genetics in the batch of seeds I recieved. But I can assure you I was able to distinguish the males from the females. With the short compact female pheno it is really easy. The leaf is more narrow and curves downward. The first pic in the post above yours is a female. The second pic shows the male with the females. I'm ganna update my current grow tommorow.

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
I'm always amazed at how short those things are. Hows the potency and where did you get the genetics?

My micro grow is a bit lankey as you can see.

Last edited:
Thanx for the compliments. Here is a close-up pic off one of the LR on day 48

For those of you ever wanting to grow LR and keep it stealth , you'll need odor control. People say that LR doesn't smell much but the sativa pheno LR of mine is getting a bit stinky . Smells like skunky coffee . I'm on day 53 and I think one more week should do it.

Latest posts

Latest posts