What's new

2K "15" plant organic living soil - 1st grow

chief bigsmoke

so I guess my question for you today is... out of your strains which one is your favorite. All your genetics look stunning. very long stigmas(pistills) and all looking frosty as the snowman

Smoking wise~ my morning medicine if I have it is Kali Mist, Blue Mystic, Cherry Bomb, and I really enjoy Blue Orca, The One, The Black, Mazar, G13/haze... for late day... say... 4:20 and beyond ;) and I can not wait to get my hands on the Durban Poison x BMR... that's the middle row in my garden. I only tried a taste so far and it was phenomenal. I'm sure I'm forgetting some favorites as I'm waking and baking on some of The One this morning because I had a little upset stomach from all the bong loads from watching "magic trip" last night ;) http://www.magpictures.com/magictrip/ hehe thanks for asking cheif!

The most anticipated strain right now that I am soooo excited for is the NL#2xHaze... 30ish year old seeds popped several months ago. I have all the same cuts from one of the seeds. It was the first seed release!

My favorite to grow is kinda tricky, diff. than my fave to smoke. The DPxBMR's are sooo pretty and sooo easy going. my biggest yielder so far was the G13xhaze. I said in the beginning of my thread that I probably wouldn't run this finniky and demanding plant again. Turns out I couldn't NOT run it again! They don't like the soil as much as all of the other plants do, but I got less and less concerned if their leaves aren't perfect. Still happy and produces like craaaazy! I can't smoke too much of it if it is allowed to go for more than 80 days, or is cured for a long time. It gets a little intense, psychedelic even, and I really can't drive on it or talk to people. ;)

*edit* i must mention that the mazar was unbelievable "easy" to grow... such a happy, easy going, and productive lady!

~MissGD

Last edited:

chief bigsmoke

mmmhmmmm

mmmhmmmm

Smoking wise~ my morning medicine if I have it is Kali Mist, Blue Mystic, Cherry Bomb, and I really enjoy Blue Orca, The One, The Black, Mazar, G13/haze... for late day... say... 4:20 and beyond ;) and I can not wait to get my hands on the Durban Poison x BMR... that's the middle row in my garden. I only tried a taste so far and it was phenomenal. I'm sure I'm forgetting some favorites as I'm waking and baking on some of The One this morning because I had a little upset stomach from all the bong loads from watching "magic trip" last night ;) http://www.magpictures.com/magictrip/ hehe thanks for asking cheif!

The most anticipated strain right now that I am soooo excited for is the NL#2xHaze... 30ish year old seeds popped several months ago. I have all the same cuts from one of the seeds. It was the first seed release!

My favorite to grow is kinda tricky, diff. than my fave to smoke. The DPxBMR's are sooo pretty and sooo easy going. my biggest yielder so far was the G13xhaze. I said in the beginning of my thread that I probably wouldn't run this finniky and demanding plant again. Turns out I couldn't NOT run it again! They don't like the soil as much as all of the other plants do, but I got less and less concerned if their leaves aren't perfect. Still happy and produces like craaaazy! I can't smoke too much of it if it is allowed to go for more than 80 days, or is cured for a long time. It gets a little intense, psychedelic even, and I really can't drive on it or talk to people. ;)

*edit* i must mention that the mazar was unbelievable "easy" to grow... such a happy, easy going, and productive lady!

~MissGD

great freakin info... I know I ask you a loaded question. what was surprising to me was that your g13 haze was your biggest yielder. It must have been a whopper from the haze side because I have a g13/og=mk ultra and its yields 350gpsm at best. It grows soo slow in my soil, it will only be a matter of time before I drop it from the lineup.

I have heard marvelous things about mazar. especially from med patients. did you notice an increased amount of cbd? = less-pain etc?

Your NL#2XHaze sounds like a winner. very solid genetics.

keep up the good work!

budbasket

Its the rhizobia on the nodules of clover roots, well any legume really, peas, beans, clovers, ect. The special bacteria "fix" nitrogen from the atmosphere which is composed of 78% N, another really cool way nitrogen is fixed into soil is by lightning strikes, and then of course by industry. The key is converting or using a form of nitrogen available to plants, specifically ammonium NH4+ and nitrate N03-. Although both are available the major difference comes in because of the cation vs anion relationship between them and soil colloids which maintain a (-) charge also. Reason why so many of our rivers and lakes are green with algea blooms, nitrate just bounces off the colloid sites. Another cool fact, these colloids are estimated to have around 8,600,000 negative sites, pretty impressive, especially considering there measured in nanometers.

Legumes also after decomposition, since your using a no-till system which I think is too cool, have a fairly low C:N ratio. Using products with a low C:N ratio decreases the time of a nitrate depression period during microbial blooms. Alfalfa is another good example I think its only around 12:1. You will end up with more available N in the soil using products with low C:N vs. with a wider range like sawdust 325:1, newspapers 175:1, cardboard 350:1.

Will you chop, let pots compost, then re-use? Anyways awesome system, I've been wanting to do something like this for a while now.

Using products with a low C:N ratio decreases the time of a nitrate depression period during microbial blooms.

Wow, thanks for all the great info budbasket. I didn't know how carbon ratio plays in to the nitrogen availability. It keeps the nitrogen flowing when it would otherwise be more depressed? I do have legumes of some sort going in there now. I'm wondering if my cover crop will be providing too much nitrogen? Although it seems that the main concern is running out of N in a no-till from what I gather. If you are familiar with bio-char, I would love to know how the carbon plays in to it from that angle.

I will chop, let things rest for a couple days while I work, plant a cover crop, keep watered, and in a week or two cut a slit in the new green carpet and loosen up just a bit underneath and slightly underneath/around the slit, not disturbing the surface much, and drop a baby in, not on top of the old root ball which should be digested back to the soil before the next planting.
~MGD

budbasket

I was running to class this morning and really didn't have time to go into it deeper sorry....

So basically we have a soil mix and in the soil mix there are microbes, hopefully aerobic, which require carbon for building organic compounds and nitrogen to synthesize nitrogen-containing cellular components; amino acids, enzymes, and DNA. On average the soil microbes incorporate eight parts of carbon to every one part nitrogen. Also only around 1/3 of this carbon is actually metabolized (remainder is transpired and lost as C02) so microbes need around 1g of nitrogen for every 24 grams of C in their food.

This is important because when C:N ratios of 25:1 are exceeded, the microbes must search the soil for nitrogen. The incorporation of high C:N residues depletes the soils natural supply on N, thus resulting in a nitrate depressed period. This also has a negative effect on the organic materials in the soil delaying the decaying process as the organisms do not have enough nitrogen either present in material undergoing decomp. or available in the soil solution.

Only reason why I can actually talk about this with any certainty is because I just finished a month long experiment testing 4 different C:N compounds: grass, alfalfa, alfalfa kept in cool conditions, wheat, and a control. By taking weekly measurements of the C02, using a sodium hydroxide trap, we were able to accurately chart the level of microbial populations in the varying soil containers. If your interested in the results I can try pming em to you.

So in summation, its not so much that it keeps nitrogen "flowering" just that it never reaches a level of depression, and if it does, that the level is short lived. Honestly I have never heard of bio-char but just looking at a few articles about it, it seems that its more reserved for sequestering carbon, not sure if that would help your decomp. time.

Also the entire point of no-till is to build up humus(10:1), on large field applications it takes 4-5 years to start producing better than conventional tilled fields however once they begin their increase in production it continues to increase. The first few years requires an increase in herbicide use and a few other factors which accounts for lower production levels. I almost think that for a system like what your thinking, an outdoor decomp pile to let old batches of soil cook. Might not be an economical decision right now though. The key is releasing the nutrients back into the soil which have been taken up by the plants, thus composting, letting it decay back down into soil humus.

As to your question about producing too much nitrogen, due to the large quantities required by the plant in addition with the relatively low levels found in soil, I really don't see it being a problem. That said, the only way to know the effects is to experiment.

Haven't looked into it too deeply but Biochar seems to be a tool for sequestering carbon in environments such as forest ecosystems which are notoriously infertile. Not really sure how it would work in your system.

Again really jealous of the space and chance to work with all that you have right now, have fun!

Thank you budbasket! Digging in to this info. Gotta tune in my cover crop. Looks like it may depend on how things are going to determine what gets planted after this next harvest. Not even flowering yet so I guess I'll have time to see what the needs are for next round. Thank you thank yoU! ~MGD

MileHighGuy

Veteran
MissGreen, have you ever read "The One-Straw Revolution" by Masanobu Fukuoka??

If you haven't I really really think you ought too, and that goes for anyone who likes the no till...

This guy will Blow you away with how natural his farm is. No Till, No Nutrients, No Active Composting.... Un-Believable.

Anyhow, I'm loving the grow, keep up the good work. :)

Last edited:

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran

~MissGD

For historical purposes these are the original Northern Lights #5 x Neville's Haze. These are F2's from a breeding in 1991.

The seeds were given to a well respected friend of mine by Mel Frank back in 1986-ish..before they were even released to the public I do believe.
I have made about 2000 F3's from the F2 mother and father I was given to hold. The NL/Haze F2 NL#5 dominant father is going to be kept alive for a while just in case.

big_daddy

~MissGD

MzGD,

I think you will be very very happy with the NL5xHaze you have. The seed mother was a super vigorous, strong and healthy phenotype that leaned toward the Haze side of that cross.

The finished buds have a sweet almost fruity fragrance with a hint of a chemi smell and beautiful visual appeal. The high is uplifting and hard hitting at the same time. This pheno has a solid punch from the sativa influences.

By the looks of your beautiful and healthy garden, and with the aggressiveness of this particular strain, I would say you are in for some stuffed jars of some prized medicine.

Gotta say that I love your grow style MGD......Y'all that are doin' the no till with cover crop organic grows are at the cutting edge of indoor organics IMO.

b_d

Thanks guys, the literature I was reading did not add up, that's cause i had the wrong number! Well even better, its #5 yipeeee ;)

I happened to find my camera today! These ladies have vegged out and are now about to be taken in to flower. Here are some final veg pics~ Thanks for all the props, I know I'm spoiled rotten, and eternally grateful for it! CC1 helped me out a lot today getting things tightened up and ready to flip *thank you* ! :)

Was hopin to hear from you b_d thanks for dropping in :) I am so thankful for the info on your experience with these fine ladies. It sounds like the medicine I've been trying to find.

NLhaze
picture.php

My Best Ghaze
picture.php

Row of All~Gorgeous Durbin Poison x BMR WOW cc1 these are freakin tits. Women breastfeed too you know, we like tits too! And these are freaking tits plants. Easier to grow than the Mazar! And just gorgeous to look at and easy to just enjoy and admire. did I say WOW? Pic does not do them justice! better pic later~
picture.php

picture.php

Back to my mini earth bucket world you go, clover.
picture.php

InJoy! MGD

I was running to class this morning and really didn't have time to go into it deeper sorry....

So basically we have a soil mix and in the soil mix there are microbes, hopefully aerobic, which require carbon for building organic compounds and nitrogen to synthesize nitrogen-containing cellular components; amino acids, enzymes, and DNA. On average the soil microbes incorporate eight parts of carbon to every one part nitrogen. Also only around 1/3 of this carbon is actually metabolized (remainder is transpired and lost as C02) so microbes need around 1g of nitrogen for every 24 grams of C in their food.

This is important because when C:N ratios of 25:1 are exceeded, the microbes must search the soil for nitrogen. The incorporation of high C:N residues depletes the soils natural supply on N, thus resulting in a nitrate depressed period. This also has a negative effect on the organic materials in the soil delaying the decaying process as the organisms do not have enough nitrogen either present in material undergoing decomp. or available in the soil solution.

Only reason why I can actually talk about this with any certainty is because I just finished a month long experiment testing 4 different C:N compounds: grass, alfalfa, alfalfa kept in cool conditions, wheat, and a control. By taking weekly measurements of the C02, using a sodium hydroxide trap, we were able to accurately chart the level of microbial populations in the varying soil containers. If your interested in the results I can try pming em to you.

So in summation, its not so much that it keeps nitrogen "flowering" just that it never reaches a level of depression, and if it does, that the level is short lived. Honestly I have never heard of bio-char but just looking at a few articles about it, it seems that its more reserved for sequestering carbon, not sure if that would help your decomp. time.

Also the entire point of no-till is to build up humus(10:1), on large field applications it takes 4-5 years to start producing better than conventional tilled fields however once they begin their increase in production it continues to increase. The first few years requires an increase in herbicide use and a few other factors which accounts for lower production levels. I almost think that for a system like what your thinking, an outdoor decomp pile to let old batches of soil cook. Might not be an economical decision right now though. The key is releasing the nutrients back into the soil which have been taken up by the plants, thus composting, letting it decay back down into soil humus.

As to your question about producing too much nitrogen, due to the large quantities required by the plant in addition with the relatively low levels found in soil, I really don't see it being a problem. That said, the only way to know the effects is to experiment.

Haven't looked into it too deeply but Biochar seems to be a tool for sequestering carbon in environments such as forest ecosystems which are notoriously infertile. Not really sure how it would work in your system.

Again really jealous of the space and chance to work with all that you have right now, have fun!

I am really interested in your findings and would love for you to share them!! Thanks for the ratios, much of what I'm thinking and doing is more abstract and its nice to have some tangible numbers about what is going on or what should be going on! Very stoked you took the time to share this, it will keep me occupied I'm sure! Hehe instead of a pH meter, we're looking at keeping our C:N ratios in check :) sodium hydroxide trap... hmmmpf. :thinking:

MissGreen, have you ever read "The One-Straw Revolution" by Masanobu Fukuoka??

This guy will Blow you away with how natural his farm is. No Till, No Nutrients, No Active Composting.... Un-Believable.

I have not! Thank you for the rec. Great time of year to pick up a new book!

I have heard marvelous things about mazar. especially from med patients. did you notice an increased amount of cbd? = less-pain etc?

Your NL#2XHaze sounds like a winner. very solid genetics.

keep up the good work!

BigSmoke~Honestly, the mazar for me was so heady that I'm not even sure what the pain particulars were for that strain. Hashy Haze, and intoxicating smell alone... sandalwood jasmine playdough?? wtf?! very feminine and alluring strain, it spoke to me more than any other plant so far, not that it needed anything! I'm pretty sure its a heavy hitter all around, from what I remember hehehe.

And luckily I've upgraded from a #2 to a #5 as the Capt. graciously pointed out. Just add water. Stokedddd! ;)

chief bigsmoke

Hashy Haze, and intoxicating smell alone... sandalwood jasmine playdough?? wtf?! very feminine and alluring strain, it spoke to me more than any other plant so far, not that it needed anything! I'm pretty sure its a heavy hitter all around, from what I remember hehehe.

And luckily I've upgraded from a #2 to a #5 as the Capt. graciously pointed out. Just add water. Stokedddd! ;)

Sandalwood jasmin playdough.. sign me up! haha wtf is right. The infinite amount of variations astonishes me.

nice upgrage to the #5. :)

I'm tuned in. you're doing a great job at this thread

Latest posts

Latest posts