What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

-26F or -31C here tonight, how cold is it by you?

moose eater

0 f. on the front porch's mercury and glass at the moment.

More snow coming down on top of the 5 inches we've received over the last several days, and a smattering (or better) of snow forecast for the next 3-4 days.

Need to blow the driveway clean AGAIN, so I can take the truck and a trailer about 30+ miles each way to pick up one of my older completely refurbished snowmobiles, and bring it home for further prepping for the coming trip.

Took my newest snowmachine out the other night at dusk, after I tired of breaking drill bits on the headlight mount for the new LED lamp's step-down voltage converter for the snowblower. It was a mere +8 f. and sun mostly gone; not cold by local standards. But I didn't grab a balaclava, any other additional head gear, or any extra scarves for my shaved face where pre-COVID I'd had a full beard and mustache for added wind-chill protection.

That mere (almost-)4 miles had my face stinging with cold. Adaptations for aging.. More gear.. More wool.. More time indoors. Wind-chill matters where living skin tissue is involved..

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
high of forties today, low of forties tonight (?), and going to be a high ranging from low 50s to low 70s for the next ten days, with plenty of rain to cheer us up. damn yard is a mudhole already...:badday::cuss:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
46F at 8 PM, It was nice and sunny with a high of 59F today. Opened up the house.

Wish we had some snow. I think it was last year it was frozen up and deep snow this time of year.

Yeah going to be warm wed and thursday around 65 F, then in a couple days low of 30 with chance for snow. The wet spring is going to be setting in.

Three Berries

Got a big rain coming tomorrow they promise. The amounts are increasing and up to about an 1.5" so far. Then warm to 55f and down to the 30F.

Ground is still froze here, tried digging a hole yesterday.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Periods of light snow. Wind northeast 20 km/h gusting to 40 km/h becoming light early this evening. Low minus 24 C. Wind chill minus 26C this evening and minus 31C overnight. Risk of frostbite.

:freezing:

RMS

:smoweed:

moose eater

Our anticipated 1/2-inch last night turned into almost 2".. right after I'd blown the last 5+ inches from the driveway, trailer parking areas, vehicle parking areas and large turn around areas..

More snow on the way still, off and on through the next 2-3 days.

Currently about +15 in the shade, projected high of +18 f. today, but the airport's already there and the Sun is pretty bright at the moment. One of those afternoons that wreaks (literally smells that way) of ice fishing weather, in the Sun, on a warmer Winter day.

Looking for a high of +30 on Thursday, perhaps warmer in the Sun, so I need to blow the (driveway's current couple inches) for a second time this week, or risk having the snow become more dense, which, while blowing better through the chute, it would have a better chance of potentially clogging the impeller and auger due to the increased compactability of the snow with the increased warmth. Not enough food-grade meat grinder silicone spray here at the moment to properly continually grease the auger and impeller if that happens.. so... I guess I'd best get at it again.

Right after this Wee Heavy Scotch Ale. Mm hmmm... And maybe a puff or three. Makes snowblowing in the Sun damned near enjoyable... except for the snowblowing part.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
68 F

Getting things moved ahead for spring. I'm sure we will see a little cold spell later on in march or early april.

No need to go vacation in florida like the rest of my family are doing right now. Florida comes to you sometimes.

moose eater

We were +20 f. on the front porch early this AM, but recently back down to+14 f.

We were supposed to get another 3 to 4 inches of snow between last night and early today, but we already have close to 5 inches, and it's still coming down intermitently, fairly thick.

Just blew the driveway yesterday.

Shop appt got cancelled today for my wife's car for other reasons, so that was helpful, especially in light of the fact that NOAA was talking about freezing rain last night and today, for a cumulative actual ice on surfaces of .1 inch (1/10 inch). That, and the forecast saying that we may see +32 today, which will make driving 'interesting', and my older son drives for a living now; not a calming series of thoughts, really.

On the bright side, I have lots of time indoors to contemplate what I want to do. If it warms up to the +30s f as predicted (though at this point I'm pleasantly skeptical), I can undo the convoluted tail light assembly on my wife's car, and change out a bad brake light bulb, without worrying too much about fracturing cold wiring.

Or I can finish the LED mount, assembly, and step-down voltage converter on the snowblower out in the pole barn, now that I have what I hope are ample cobalt bits for that job... I hope...

Or stay indoors and finally address my mothers that needed cloned long ago.

Of course, there's always television, music, and the refrigerator.. I hear them calling loudly.

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Smoke some sativa flower and blast out all the jobs when it gets warm if you can. If not Spring will show up eventually. We got up to 71F yesterday, and 67F today with sunshine! Was a bit windy though, around 30 mph gusts. Tonight goes down to forecast of 26F tonight and then working their way back up to 62 F monday! Going to be windy!

I like this time of year, time to start getting into spring chores every couple days. Eases you into it! :smoke:

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
We have about an inch on the ground and it's about 25°F I believe. Going to go down to 10°F tonight or tomorrow...and highs of about 25 on Friday and Saturday. Back into the 40s after that. Hear there's a big one hitting here in Boston later in the week.
Don't know how you guys living north of me are doing it...I'm at 42°N....it usually doesn't getbelow 40 here. You guys talk about 0° and stuff...it makes me frightened.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Once again I wanted to kiss my snowblower as it easily munched through 5" or so of new snow AND the sidewalk plow mounds that mysteriously appeared by this morning. They ignore the roads for a few days but the sidewalk dude is on point! Deepfreeze coming tomorrow night.

moose eater

Smoke some sativa flower and blast out all the jobs when it gets warm if you can. If not Spring will show up eventually. We got up to 71F yesterday, and 67F today with sunshine! Was a bit windy though, around 30 mph gusts. Tonight goes down to forecast of 26F tonight and then working their way back up to 62 F monday! Going to be windy!

I like this time of year, time to start getting into spring chores every couple days. Eases you into it! :smoke:
We're a couple months or more away from Spring here. Helps to perpetuate the natural sense of procrastination on most pressing jobs.

moose eater

We have about an inch on the ground and it's about 25°F I believe. Going to go down to 10°F tonight or tomorrow...and highs of about 25 on Friday and Saturday. Back into the 40s after that. Hear there's a big one hitting here in Boston later in the week.
Don't know how you guys living north of me are doing it...I'm at 42°N....it usually doesn't getbelow 40 here. You guys talk about 0° and stuff...it makes me frightened.
It's mostly all acclimation, though I'm not saddened by our no longer receiving longer stints of -35 f. to -65 f.

There used to be a one-off bumper sticker in the glass case near the register at Cyrano's Books and Theater in Anchorage about 26 years ago, that read, "Alaskans For Global Warming".

I'd heard from a regular patron there that the owner was so offended by the concept contained on that sticker, that he eventually gave it away to an interested patron based on mere conversation about the humor the patron found in it. It wasn't my wife or I who received it, though we'd both chuckled over it when we'd been in there..

moose eater

We're 64+ (almost 65) degrees north, more or less. I think Whitehorse Yukon Territory is above the 63rd.

Our coast line often receives some warming from the Japanese currents from the Pacific Ocean, but they also get that coastal wind and humidity.

There's perhaps 4 primary climates in Alaska, and about 9 sub-climates in all.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We're 64+ (almost 65) degrees north, more or less. I think Whitehorse Yukon Territory is above the 63rd.

Our coast line often receives some warming from the Japanese currents from the Pacific Ocean, but they also get that coastal wind and humidity.

There's perhaps 4 primary climates in Alaska, and about 9 sub-climates in all.
cold,colder than a witches tit,cold as ice,and cold as fuck!:witch2: