What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

-26F or -31C here tonight, how cold is it by you?

moose eater

Was -25 f. last night at about 10:00 P.M.

Back up to -17 f. this morning at 7:30 A.M.

S'posed to be around 0 f for the remainder of the next 7 days; a bit below at night, and right near 0 in the days.

Need to transfer the last 60-gallon poly-drum of #1 home heating oil into the main tank, which ought to give us over 400 gallons in the 518-gallon main, then brace for any necessary additional runs of heating oil, which is now more expensive than we're paying for premium gasoline. Scalpers.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hope you start seeing some warmer temps soon. We are colder today only about 41 F high and going down to 23 F tonight. Looking like early spring with 63F next wednesday and a couple days with rain likely next week!

You always have wood, mooseeater. That takes a lot of the work out of it using fuel oil. Do you have wood heat for backup?

Three Berries

We got 50Fs coming. Still a few cold nights here I'm sure. The Lilacs, Star Magnolia, rose bushes are all starting to bud crocuses popping up in soil thawed.

Hope my pear tree holds off. Need to make a A frame ground contour level thing and start marking the yard for a drainage channel to dig out as the soil thaws.

moose eater

-18 f. at the moment, sunny as a bastard, and I'm headed to town.

It's gotten to where we only make it in to check mail once a week, and the amountof mail and packages that can stack up has me worried at times; shit too cluttered stands a better shot at getting lost.

Vandenberg

The last frost/ freeze is about a month away out here in the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Plant Hardiness Zone 8B, between the northern zones where there’s a real winter season and the subtropics where freezing weather rarely arrives.
Our landscapes here often include plants that are marginally cold- hardy and need some help to make it through a hard freeze.
Time once again to start the sprouts a sproutin' indoors for the spring veggie garden :)

This week has 30-ish f nights with 60f-ish Day yesterday, so spring hasn't quite sprung yet. Bummer.
I'm originally from Minnesota, the first thing I did when I turned 18 was to move to the Southwest deserts and leave behind my childhood memories of way too many 40 below c/f winter-time days. Brrrrrr.
Vandenberg :)

Last edited:

Three Berries

Frosty here today but getting spring like for a few days, near 60F later in the 10 day.
As much as I dislike really cold weather i don't think I would like to live were it doesn't happen. I really appreciate the stark differences shown by the change in seasons.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
NWS forecasts one day next week is 66F! But Friday is forecast to be 32F. Supposed to move toward more average temperatures after the 2 week, so we might get one more good batch of ice, but I am about to put the snowblower up. Sharpened the mower blades yesterday.

moose eater

About -8 f. on the front porch. Headed into town.

We're back into getting no where near our projected high temps, and the Airport near town is routinely warmer than the hills, meaning there's no tradtional winter time inversion to be had.

Had that discussion with a property tax assessor the other day; the absence of inversion making some (not all) higher-elevation properties perhaps worth less than years ago, when the inversions were more reliable.

I didn't get the sense that he was chomping at the bit to lessen our tax-evaluation or assessment after that ethereal but fact-based discussion. At least the idea has been planted in his head, rattling about with all the other extraneous clutter in there...

Last edited:

Three Berries

Slow drop back to winter. Been low 50fs for the last few days. All the ice melted in the pond and on the river. Still some in the ground though. And another day of 40 mph wind gust. But by next week back to March weather.

Seems the seasons have been advancing over the years with the bad winter weather coming earlier and earlier. Jan>Dec and this year Nov. But then late winter is mild.

Only shoveled the drive twice and that was for exercise. Snowblower is sitting unused taking up space in the garage.. Typical March here is the windiest times. Use to have a hard time keeping shingles on the roof until the evergreens grew up.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
weather guy forecast snow/freezing rain twice lately. both times, schools honored his prediction and schools closed both days, it was clear and sunny both damn days, temps in upper 50s and 60s,... David Letterman started as a weatherman on tv. :whistling: just saying...

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got up to 64 F yesterday! Getting rained on a little today and tomorrow will be hitting 22 F overnight!

Yeah it shuts down hard early sometimes. We had several unusual early freezes in October! Cold is trying to push in, there is a big mass of below average out west that is working on moving over here, but I don't think it will get here until later in march, and by then we will be at the equinox. Got the landscape pruned and cleaned up, perennials were pushing yesterday.

Last year at this time of the year, we got dumped on with like 9 inches of snow I think it was.

Three Berries

Above normal for the next week and maybe some rain here south of Chicago. But the robins and red wing blackbirds are here in full force. Best time to dig up my seedling wild trees for relocation just after the ground thaws.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
down to 22 f last night. long-range forecast is nice tomorrow, rainy as shit and warmer for the next ten days. still some roads closed locally from the last rain. :badday:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i collect old wooden fishing plugs, and memories. neither have much monetary value, i'm afraid. i have some pretty old silver coinage Dad gave me forty years ago. i need to dig into my gun safe & play with them for a while...

Latest posts

Latest posts