What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

250w Freezer grow THaze x Skunk

Tony Danza

FreezerBoy said:
I start with a "standard" one inch air gap between the bottom of the netpot and the waterline. She drinks about 2 gallons a week. I top off every two weeks, when the air gap is 4-5 inches. Note I'm using a "60" gallon airpump in 12 gallons of water with two 12" airstones so I got LotsO'Bubbles.

I marked the tub with 2 gal increments. Problem was, once the tub was covered and the plant filled the ScROG, there wasn't enough light below to cast a shadow on the waterline. This grow, I turned the tub around. With the scale in the back, I can lift the front corner and read exactly how much I need to add.

Here's a shot of Wilma's Granddaughter at 12.5 weeks of 12/12

So are you trying to keep her under the screen for longer this time?

Your scrogs are sick.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Thanks Tony.

Wilma was turned loose at 2 months. The grandaughter has been under the screen for 3 months. Note for new visitors or speed readers, that's 3 months of 12/12, and I'm just now seeing "BUDS" as opposed to lots of little baby flowers. These thunks take their own sweet time.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Yes, she is. Get yourself to Costco and pick up the economy sized barrel of patience cause these girls take their own sweet time. One seed took 25 days to pop, another took 33. I flowered for 120 days (17 weeks + 1 day) I think they could've gone longer.

Don't expect Indica like yields in the grams per watts sense. Sativa buds are naturally fluffy. I was surprised that colas that large would be so light. Like picking up what you thought was gold only to find it's styrofoam. Damn fine styrofoam!

Thunks like lower nute levels, esp Nitrogen. Remember that manufacturers nute formulas are based on selling you more nutes asap. GH says 10-5-15, Lucas says 0-8-16. My Thunks said 0-3-6 is too much. Your mileage may vary. Plants are simple creatures, they don't know how to lie. Ask them what they want and they'll tell you.

Unless you've unlimited space and light, consider flipping to 12/12 asap.

Break a leg! :wave:

D

Don Cotyle

Hey FB, See it's not a photo shop, we have progression! I started trainin her today and found a mushroom trying to squese up thru the lava rocks...LOL

Last edited:

ChronJohn

hey freezerboy, I'm going to start using a mini fridge for my clones and was wondering how I should go about creating the ventilation system. I checked out what you did but it was hard to follow. Should I drill an intake hole and cut out a square for the exhaust fan? or use both an intake fan as well as an exhaust fan? jw cuz its confusing to me, im new to this whole "micro-grow" thing haha.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
While my axial fan housing is square (the inline's gone now) the exhaust hole is round as are my intakes. Note my heat problems from upgrading the lamp were from MY failure to have 2X intakes. (one forced exhaust, two passive intakes, all of equal size) One I doubled intake, heat problems were gone.

You can use fans on intake but, more fans = more noise. I don't know if that's a problem for you or not.

As a general rule, (lamp)Watts = Sqft X 50: (fan)CFM = Watts/4. Can't really go any further without knowing what type of fan, lamp, hood etc you have going.

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
Nice fridge FB - I turned a smaller trailer sized fridge into my first grow space.

Thanks for the scrog tip too in the other thread - that'll be the way of it.

D

Don Cotyle

Hi FreezerBoy, time for an update on Wilmas granddaughter...lol!!!

I finally got that 5 gallon batch of wine going in the grow room and built a halo to direct the Co2 from the fermentiong wine to the Burmese Dream. It's been in there and running for 2 weeks, the buds are really fattening up and growing lots of offshutes!

I'm just haveing some fun till cooler temps this fall then it's back to the hydro with some Menage a Twois and Grape Kush! Probably think about doing another long sativa too, any ideas on some nice screaming up sativa strains??? Don

FreezerBoy

Veteran
It's harvest time again. :jump:

Till now, I've avoided regular entries as it's the same strain in the same cab. Now that it's done, it seems there is major drop off in yield. My new girl, W3, is a clone from a clone of the original Wilma. Wilma was grown from seed. In all instances of comparison, Wilma on the left, W3 on the right.

Possible causes. Wilma was seed, W3 was cloned. Wilma vegged for about a month, W3 went straight to 12/12. Wilma lived exclusivly under a 250 CMH, W3 spent the first half of her life under a 150 HPS. Wilma grew in winter and had colder water (more DO). I ran a heater to keep it over 60º. W3 grew in Summer. I had to ice the res to keep it under 80º. Wilma was allowed above the screen at the first sign of buds. W3 was kept under the screen as long as possible and even then allowed to stay under (maybe 40% of total growth. Why? Later.) Had I let W3 up sooner, keeping growth above screen, I'm sure colas would be larger. Longer at least.

It's been said that some sativa's can be light shy. In the first grow, I noticed the most resin was found on buds closest to the edge. Shaded sides had more than sunny sides. The underside of leaves had MUCH more resin that the lighted side. The lowest (most shaded) buds had the most resin of all (though this may simply be because the lowest buds were 2-3 months older)

As an experiment, I allowed growth to exist under the screen to take advantage of the shade. The result was a successful failure. There were definitely more trichs but, growth was so double extra airy, I don't think it was worth it.

Worse, as undergrowth pushed up against the locked down screen, these buds became super compacted resulting in what I believe was mold. While there were the normal crispy, dead, brown leaves here and there, these seemed far more vibrant and "alive" than the affected areas which seemed beyond dead. Almost undead, like Zombie buds. Pallid, sallow. I threw out about 30% of the undergrowth for approximately a 10%-15% loss of total yield. Cheap for the lesson learned. (all shots below W3)

Here's the total haul. Underscreen growth on the left. Overscreen on the right. The small pile is newest growth, spindle tops and white haired buds (Thunks NEVER stop sending out shoots) These will not be included in final yield numbers

Here's the throw away mold pile compared to total underscreen growth.

While it would seem to be lesser yield at the moment, don't cry for me Argentina! I still have more than half of my last haul. It's been close to 20 years since I had more than I knew what to do with. AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT, ICMag.

Gimme a week to cure and it's Party Time at FreezerBoy's. Come on down! I know you don't really want to smoke it but, I'm sure you'll suffer through it to keep me from holding so much evidence. What're friends for? :wave:

Last edited:
D

Don Cotyle

Not bad at all, still a nice harvest!!! I finally finished the Burmese Dream lone surviver

I trimed her out while still rooted, it sure was easier and it shows the structure nicely! I got a full quart jar and a small bag of popcorn!

So what you thinking about growing now???

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Hey Don,

Pretty nugs ya got there. Looking at those I feel like I've been growing air. I have to remind myself that Indicas and I don't play well together.

I'm trying to screw up the courage to order some Destroyer for the next run.

Decided to try measuring runoff from my water cure. First day, water was an EC of 1.2 (600-840 ppm depending on scale) That's a stronger concentration than I feed at. Below is Day 2's runoff. Look at the foam when I poured the water into another container. I felt like I was pouring beer. I'm guessing it's from proteins etc. Check the color in the cup. Who wants to smoke weed full of that @#%! Not me.

freezer boy,

i just got ThaihazeXskunk#1 from sam the skunkman...and just foudn this thread...

... is this the same as your beans ? if so i'm going to try them forsure !! i am thinking of a 12/12 from seed approach because of the long flowering time and sativa dominance...

but if i do that will i be able to keep a mother ? guess not ... oh dilemas. i hate the idea of reveg.