What's new

25 Gallon Brewer

growclean

Grow Clean.... Go Fast!
So we made a brewer awhile back. We needed a larger volume of tea for flower and couldn't afford the model that we want (Microbulator). So after getting advice from everyone here we built one somewhat according to the specs of the university of colorado one (?). We used a 35 gallon garbage can which I would recomend brewing no more than 25 gallons max in due to overflow. We bought the Eco Plus Commercial 5 pump as recommended on Microbeman's website. We drilled the bottom pipes with holes facing in towards center and also at a 45 degree angle. We also added a valve and a pipe into the "tea bag".

Not shown in the pics is the current setup with our down pipe being undrilled but leading into a tee. We also added a removable 400 micron bag that I don't have pics of on my camera for some reason ( I have them somewhere!). Anyways, it has worked easy and well so far. We have not been able to have our tea looked at under a scope yet, so take it with a grain of salt I guess. But here is what we have:

It looks good, growclean. I'm making a parts list for a brewer right now and trying to decide how many gallons to go with. 25 gallons might actually work for me...I might have to copy you. Maybe you could make it easy for me with detailed instructions?

Good luck with it

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
It looks good, growclean. I'm making a parts list for a brewer right now and trying to decide how many gallons to go with. 25 gallons might actually work for me...I might have to copy you. Maybe you could make it easy for me with detailed instructions?

Good luck with it
Here's the link to the original set of plans to build this brewer from OSU in Corvallis, Oregon

CC

growclean

Grow Clean.... Go Fast!
Thanks CC. That is the one that I copied mostly. I will snap some pics later of my modifications for you PN.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
can that pump push 6ppm ?
habeeb

If not then perhaps this fairly recent addition to the Eco Plus line of pumps, the Eco Plus 7 Commercial Air Pump, probably can. The manufacturer is rating this unit at 200 LPM.

The list price is $149.99 but one local hydro-store is quoting 20% off so you're under $120.00 which includes a 1 year warranty.

CC

AE-SS-EP1.jpg

C

CT Guy

Just curious...but why do you need so much tea? For the avg. person, 5 gal. is more than sufficient.

With well made tea, established application rates are 20 gal./acre for soil drenches and turf applications and 5 gal./acre for plants up to 5' in height.

I like to go a little stronger than this, but even then a little of the tea goes a long ways. Better to make a small amount correctly and then add water after you're done.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
How loud are those pumps?

Thanks
smiley
GS

The Eco-Grow type of pumps are loud. Loud enough to be considered annoying, IMHO

This type of pump (and they're sold under a slew of names) are widely used by the saltwater reef-system hobbyists to run wave motion devices, water movers, skimmers, etc. Some models/brands seem to be built with better products than other versions.

Buying them through the high-end aquarium supply sites (like MarineDepot.com) is a good place to get information but maybe not the best pricing.

CC

NUG-JUG

Just curious...but why do you need so much tea? For the avg. person, 5 gal. is more than sufficient.

With well made tea, established application rates are 20 gal./acre for soil drenches and turf applications and 5 gal./acre for plants up to 5' in height.

I like to go a little stronger than this, but even then a little of the tea goes a long ways. Better to make a small amount correctly and then add water after you're done.

I made my 25 gal. brewer because I have a larger grow, and I sell my tea to a few people.

growclean

Grow Clean.... Go Fast!
How loud are those pumps?

Thanks
smiley

This particular pump is quiet, in my opinion. The two of us can easily work and converse around it. The standard KIS 5 gallon pump is the only other thing that I have to compare to, and that one is so loud that I couldn't stand to work in the same room with after about 20 minutes.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
growclean

My comments about noise was meant to be limited to the specific model that I linked to and put up the photo. It was not intended to mean any other pump being discussed.

Sorry about that!

CC

growclean

Grow Clean.... Go Fast!
Oh, no worries. I was just my opinions about that pump to George. Like I said, it is a dream compared to our other pump! If I am working in the rooms by myself I listen to pandora radio on my phone with my headphones in anyway!

I am heading out there later to water with a batch of brewed tea. I will take pics of our valve setup and filter setup for everyone. We did end up buying reusable 400 micron bags and setting them up on the downpipe. It works pretty well and I don't have to shop for pantyhose anymore!

C

CT Guy

This particular pump is quiet, in my opinion. The two of us can easily work and converse around it. The standard KIS 5 gallon pump is the only other thing that I have to compare to, and that one is so loud that I couldn't stand to work in the same room with after about 20 minutes.

Just wanted to comment that the regular KIS 5 gal. motor is noisy, comparable to a hair dryer (though I know some people who use it in their kitchen!). The extended life motor is extremely quiet though, and we have it running in our booth at trade shows.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I wanted to have my tea brewer in the growroom but if it's a noise that pierces through the hum of an 800cfm blower I need to do it out in the poolhouse. Will high heat affect the brew?

Great thread and info BTW guys, solid gold

Thanks

C

CT Guy

Depending on the motor you go with, the noise may not be a factor and you may be able to brew in your grow room.

As for high heat, what temps. are we talking about. If you grow room is around 70F then that would be ideal for brewing the tea.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I think the veg/work area will be 75 or so but not sure yet. I know the pool house is hotter than ambient in Summer so I dunno we have 20 days a year over 90 here? :D

Wait.... you're here, wait.... I think all of you are here? Is this an oregon trail board?

:D :D

Latest posts

Latest posts