What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

$229 for 800w LED.....how bad can it be?

Rocket Soul

Lol..I had noticed the AOKAIRUISI lights...the diode count leads me to believe they are overdriving them to get the par, but just buy bigger than needed and run it at 75%....interesting light. The Wantye did ok at veg...it's a better flower light though...for the money it's well worth it.
The other issue is amount of bars: the one you use has 8 bars while the aokairuisi runs 6: not only will the diodes run harder but also the sinking is going to be hotter which makes environment harder to control but also makes the light more likely to fail sooner.
There are many ways to save a few bucks but generally you get what you pay for. Maybe not worth it going for the absolute cheapest option, unless youre going to underdrive it considerably, as you said.

driver77

LED Grow Light 15 Spectrum Osram Diodes 6light Bars F15-7000 UPDAYDAY LED Grow Lamp Dimmable Cover 5x5ft
Little over $200 for a 700w light....I have a 500w from them that works fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:

UGDoCV

End week 5 on Blue Dreams. 5 gallon BD ahead 7 gallon by at least week but smaller buds. C99s in front at the start of week 3. I just unscrogged due to them trying take over whole tent, lol.

Attachments

• 20230921_110031.jpg
    20230921_110031.jpg
    990.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230924_192759.jpg
    20230924_192759.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 61

UGDoCV

Overall pleased with light and results. It's ran nonstop since purchase and for now everything is harvested. Gonna shut down till after holidays if I can wait that long, lol. Tents gonna get a thorough clean, then gonna play with some autos under this light. Had add a pic of something, lol. Finishing up cold extraction today.

Attachments

• 20231119_144639.jpg
    20231119_144639.jpg
    796.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

driver77

Overall pleased with light and results. It's ran nonstop since purchase and for now everything is harvested. Gonna shut down till after holidays if I can wait that long, lol. Tents gonna get a thorough clean, then gonna play with some autos under this light. Had add a pic of something, lol. Finishing up cold extraction today.
Same here....several grows under it now with auto's and photo vegging and no complaints at all. I did add the Mars uv45 bars to mine and very pleased with them also.

Ca++

Looks like these were a good buy, and perhaps one that won't be repeated.

A bit like the latest cpu or phone, buying the best LED isn't cheap. We can only do so, when we look at the power saving over the life of the light. If we want instant gratification, then buying the best LED isn't the way. We could never sell a domestic lamp with an LM301 inside. There is always a much cheaper option, from a lesser known brand that's just a year or two behind. Our problem is, that we don't recognise the wheat from the chaff, unless it's the top brands. It seems these were the wheat.
It's not just the LED, but the driver where there can be big price differences. In theory, stringing about 50 3v LEDs in series, yuo could run almost directly off the 120v mains. The driver, would cost cents. On the other hand a good one is over $50, and one that just works, $10. However, the $50 one spent $40 on not knocking out the local internet. It's not a saving worth making. Yet, you may never know the difference, unless you are unlucky.

It looks like you did well here, and I feel almost jealous I didn't snag one myself. Though it would of been as a gift, after checking for those spurious emissions, that cheap electronic ballasts are known for. Especially if you were to start extending cables.

Latest posts

Latest posts