What's new

220w pl-l coco scrog cupboard

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
wow wow wow SN that bush looks very very very nice.
:yoinks: :yoinks: :yoinks: :yoinks: :yoinks: :yoinks: :yoinks:

Q: how many gallon is she in?
Q2: how old os she?

also she looks so scrog like. heres some mad :respect: :respect:.

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Hey cheese, thank you :D I'm not sure of the exact size, but I'm fairly sure it's about 4 gallons (16 to 17 litres). The container was going to be a carbon filter a long time ago, and I had cut an 8" hole in the bottom for ducting and applied the tape (so I can't read the label). Before I filled it up with coco I put a very open, solid, plastic mesh over the hole so most of the floor of the pot is freely draining and I still only water every 2 or 3 days so far.

Not sure how old she is. She used to be a mom plant and had zillions of cuttings taken not long before I got her. She was vegged outside with cfl assistance before I got her. I've had them both for 23 days now. :)

ScrubNinja

Veteran
It's been a week since I flipped so here's an update. All is going well! I changed back to regular 12/12, ditched the cfl and using 4 x pll now. I'm sort of growing it up and probably tomorrow I'll weigh it down with tent pegs and it'll cover more area and get some bud sites blazing. Well that is the plan anyway. :cool:

picture.php
picture.php

I got sick of training P2 just now so I threw a screen over which gives P1 more room. I started colloidal silver treatment again.

picture.php

My vegies are rocking out. I have heaps of the soil mixed up so my next ganja grow will be organic fo sho. :D I'm making a new recipe tea right now.

picture.php

Wait a minute... I've seen that pot before...

heh :abduct:

ScrubNinja

Veteran
wow thats an awesome looking scrog scrub. Loads of vigour. Loving the CS attempt. Ill be doing the same soon.

Awesome man, yeah I just threw it over tonight, it kept getting sucked up into the fans and auto trimmed. I gotta make some more CS tomorrow. It's great fun. Do you have a plan? Cos it sucks hardcore trying to do it in one cab. The sooner these guys do the roofing insulation, the better...I can go back to normal! (grow shit everywhere)

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
....it kept getting sucked up into the fans and auto trimmed
heheh I thought I was the only one who did that. I lost a big chunk of one of my top colas last harvest. I picked up a plant to water bout 2 days before harvest...lifted the lil fucker right up into the fan *BBZZZzzzZZ* hahaha...last time that'll happen. Sure made me laugh though.

Looking good man. Don't these damn insulation peoples know that you have scientific work to do?!?They need to get done!

OMJebus

Haha in my speaker i almost always lost a tiny bit of leaf taking the ladies out... I always felt bad, like i was chris brown or someshit beatin on my ladies!

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Haha I love icmag - like minded people who can relate! I swear I'll make a bud trimmer out of a pc fan one of these days.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
My Aussie Blues are looking great my friend from down under, I don't know if a computer fan would help this.

I too love ICmag and all you like minded hobbyists!

Peace, :joint:

OMJebus

Haha I love icmag - like minded people who can relate! I swear I'll make a bud trimmer out of a pc fan one of these days.

Hell yeah, ill try to make one in a couple of weeks, we got this amnesty day coming and everyone gets to throw out anything they want for pretty much free.... gunna get me lots of goodies and planty of PC's with plenty of fans :D

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Day 10 of flower

Day 10 of flower

Man everybody keeps telling me about these but we don't have them here sadly. Sounds fantastic.

Well, took the old gal out to water tonight, and gave her an inspection. I have to say, I wasn't really impressed. And I realised I still haven't bought the damn tent pegs which make training a breeze. So I bit the bullet and trained the individual branches with plastic coated wire.

I stood back after the mammoth effort and it's the first time I've really truly said "wow :chin:" this whole grow. Check it...

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

And a supersize top down:

P2 took nicely to the scrog. I've been using her for experiments. Gave her some pee a while back:eek:: and now I tipped a really stretchy shoot just as it was budding up, to see what happens.

picture.php

I'm very happy with things so far.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Wow, what a jungle, looking pretty good so far. How do you like the PL-L hood?

Howdy Aero, I am a huge fan of these hoods :D You know that, dawg! It's like the guys at Philips got on the pipe and decided to make the perfect light for scrogging. Once I find a cheap local supply of parts and bulbs, I'll be even happier.

The jungle!

It's a bit of a nightmare in some ways. In person it doesn't look quite so bad but it is still too thick. I've been trimming little bits at a time, down near the bases, except there is just so much that when I finish, I always have a huge pile of leaves, and I am one of those guys that doesn't like removing leaves much. :yoinks:

So not much more will be done. When I was outdoor and vegging under sunlight and cfl, I grew a nirvana afghan cutting once and I dunno what happened but it was one of the strangest reactions I've seen when I left it under sunlight to flower. Several other strains in the same place grew lovely, but the affy's leaves folded up like a paper folding fan. and the stems that hold the leaves grew ridiculously lonnnnng. In my recent CCFL research I found out plants can have this reaction from too much red.

picture.php

The only buds you could see were the very tips of the branches. The rest was all leaf, but I looked underneath and sure enough the buds looked to be forming ok even though zero light was getting to them. I had debated trimming all the leaves off earlier so I just left them. Long story short, very good yield of some very good, hairy, red dank. It actually looked like it had been PGRd, and I had stupidly PGRd some other plants in the same patch, and these were every bit as thick, solid, and chunky as a PGRd bud.

So I'm keen to see what happens here. :)

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
wow holy moly shes looking very dank. also that mini scrog looks really nice too.

I am so so gunna try to grow a bush just like yours for my next grow. damm thats gunna be a long grow.

luckly I have a fem that is veging good. but I cant seem to get my plants that bushy Y is this.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Hey thanks cheese. Well, probably the most important thing is to realise the effect of apical dominance. I'm sure you would be familiar with this concept, but maybe not by it's fancy name.

picture.php

So quite often, especially with CFLs, a lot of strains are going to go pretty much straight up, with no lateral activity, and this is what you want to avoid (unless we are just growing it long so we can train it later). As you probably know if we snip the tip, squeeze the stem, supercrop it, etc, the apical dominance goes, often temporarily, to the next nodes down. It will grow bushier, but there's still all the dormant lateral buds below it. All just wasted potential as they're often just popcorn bumfluff buds.

If we just bend the whole lot over flat to the ground, we just made every damn bud the main dominant bud! So that is basically how you do it. Keep it low all the time, tied down or trained over or vegged under a scrog screen. I've had very bushy plants with no topping/tipping at all. As soon as one dominates, it will always have more "oomph" than the lower ones.

If you see a branch shooting out above all the rest, lst it, supercrop it, squeeze it, heck, even cut it right off if veg time isn't an issue.

If you remember my best plant, all 18 z's of her:

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Well, this plant actually started as one of the most worthless, spindly, straight-upwards type plants I've had. It grew maybe 2ft tall straight up, and I simply chopped it to half that. 4 main branches grew out and developed well. (I'm pretty sure this was her on the right, near end of veg)

picture.php

Here in the tropics, you can just leave most plants out, most of the year, and they will flower as if they were under 12/12 pretty much. So in that respect, on day one of 12/12, I tied her down paying attention to get as many of the bulk of the shoots on the exact same horizontal plane - all at the same level. A few days later I came back and readjusted one or two of the strings just to keep everything level. No other training or physical manipulation was done after that.

picture.php

Just add water and the rest is history.

For outdoors, a really good cheap way to keep them low and bushy is tent pegs. No string needed, just peg the branches to the ground. I'm a big fan of tent pegs, they are the perfect LST tool - even if you don't stick them in the ground, they have just enough weight to hold a branch down anyway, and you double or triple them up for stronger branches. Anyways mate, thanks for your question, I enjoyed explaining my thoughts and showing off some old pics :tongue: If there's any more I can tell you, just holler. Your outdoor is looking CRAZY nice!

:abduct:

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Thanks fellas, I was king of teh noobs when I did that so anyone can do it. :D:yes:

P1 took really well to the training too. It's strange(ly) by the way that all these lights are basically the same thing. Could be identical except I notice a few miniscule differences. I found I can get 110w hoods cheaper from an aquarium place also.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Well I'm a happy man, I got 40 tent pegs now and did the bits I missed :D First of all though, P2. Well behind in flower thanks to my urine :eek::

picture.php
picture.php

And for dem junglist posse:

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

and 'ting. :rasta:

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Hey thanks cheese. Well, probably the most important thing is to realise the effect of apical dominance. I'm sure you would be familiar with this concept, but maybe not by it's fancy name.

So quite often, especially with CFLs, a lot of strains are going to go pretty much straight up, with no lateral activity, and this is what you want to avoid (unless we are just growing it long so we can train it later). As you probably know if we snip the tip, squeeze the stem, supercrop it, etc, the apical dominance goes, often temporarily, to the next nodes down. It will grow bushier, but there's still all the dormant lateral buds below it. All just wasted potential as they're often just popcorn bumfluff buds.
If we just bend the whole lot over flat to the ground, we just made every damn bud the main dominant bud! So that is basically how you do it. Keep it low all the time, tied down or trained over or vegged under a scrog screen. I've had very bushy plants with no topping/tipping at all. As soon as one dominates, it will always have more "oomph" than the lower ones.
If you see a branch shooting out above all the rest, lst it, supercrop it, squeeze it, heck, even cut it right off if veg time isn't an issue.
If you remember my best plant, all 18 z's of her:
Well, this plant actually started as one of the most worthless, spindly, straight-upwards type plants I've had. It grew maybe 2ft tall straight up, and I simply chopped it to half that. 4 main branches grew out and developed well. (I'm pretty sure this was her on the right, near end of veg)
Here in the tropics, you can just leave most plants out, most of the year, and they will flower as if they were under 12/12 pretty much. So in that respect, on day one of 12/12, I tied her down paying attention to get as many of the bulk of the shoots on the exact same horizontal plane - all at the same level. A few days later I came back and readjusted one or two of the strings just to keep everything level. No other training or physical manipulation was done after that.
Just add water and the rest is history.
For outdoors, a really good cheap way to keep them low and bushy is tent pegs. No string needed, just peg the branches to the ground. I'm a big fan of tent pegs, they are the perfect LST tool - even if you don't stick them in the ground, they have just enough weight to hold a branch down anyway, and you double or triple them up for stronger branches.

Anyways mate, thanks for your question, I enjoyed explaining my thoughts and showing off some old pics :tongue: If there's any more I can tell you, just holler. Your outdoor is looking CRAZY nice!

:abduct:

wow thanks for the great info. so my plants that r being LSTed in veg should help make them bushy befor I send them to bloombox.
glad u like my outdoor ladie.

and Its so nice to here other ppls :2cents:.

Latest posts

Latest posts