What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

220w pl-l coco scrog cupboard

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Hi zoidb3rg, my pal bought it from a hydro store and didn't like it (!!!) so I got it from him. New, with bulbs switched out for quality Philips, they cost $245 (aud).

zoidb3rg

Hi zoidb3rg, my pal bought it from a hydro store and didn't like it (!!!) so I got it from him. New, with bulbs switched out for quality Philips, they cost $245 (aud).

Woah that's some pricey shit, any ideas as to what i should search to look for different ones? i have no idea what they're called, Light ballast hood thing? i doubt that will google. ^^

immaculate

Thanks a lot for the help and taking the time to be so descriptive. I had to go back and read your previous post again. Gonna hit up the 'Shack today and get shit sorted out.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Woah that's some pricey shit

No kidding man :badday: Although I got it a lot cheaper and it'd be a lot less with the chinese bulbs that come standard. For me it comes down to convenience. It would be a nightmare for me to piece the bits together seperately. Plus it was just there. :)

No idea what to search for really but it was sold as a cloning/early veg light. I'm the only person I know about who has got one so maybe just an aussie product? I've seen someone link to a US hydro store that carried a 110w hood.

Immaculate, no probs man, good luck!

growMEDS

The hood really is sweet- no luck here finding anything
HTG carries a dual 55w hood/setup and it's only around $70.
I'm so tempted but I really don't NEED it lol

ScrubNinja

Veteran
It will be one day :)

Maaaaan, this has been taking so much brainwork. I get stumped by the tiniest things and toss them around in my head until a few days later, I usually get a flash of genius.

Anyway, I need to show you this, I'm so proud. This is the pot setup:

Can't see it too well? Then let me get that a little bit closer...

:D I actually suck at building things so I'm really proud I did the whole drawer thing by myself. It's rated to 45kg. I also added heavy duty wheels so I can wheel it around. These are rated at 120kg.

I started on the carbon filter which you can see there facing the wrong way.

Problem:

I need to bolt 2 x 25mm pc fans together but nobody sells a suitable screw and nut that length! (>55mm or so) I bought the smallest long bolts I could get but they're too tight. I'm pretty stumped. I could drill the holes larger but I'm scared I'll crack the brittle fan plastic. What do you guys think? I might take it to an engineering place cos at least they'll have a drill press.

321contact

Problem:

I need to bolt 2 x 25mm pc fans together but nobody sells a suitable screw and nut that length! (>55mm or so) I bought the smallest long bolts I could get but they're too tight. I'm pretty stumped. I could drill the holes larger but I'm scared I'll crack the brittle fan plastic. What do you guys think? I might take it to an engineering place cos at least they'll have a drill press.

If they're like most 25mm PC fans, you shouldn't need a bolt that goes all the way through. You only need the bolt to go through the parts of the frames that are touching. I would also suggest some kind of vibration-damping material between the fans; a poster in another thread here suggested that without it the two fans rattle together rather noisily.

growMEDS

Good first post! haha
The fans do have the 2 sets of holes so you just have to get the 2 close ones stuck together. And great idea on the damping material between.

D.I.trY

ahh man fucking sweet - a sliding shelf for the plant so you can take it out easily :) its so important for training them and for taking photos hehe!

i do hope its strong enough when theres a heavy pot and tons of bud on top when u slide it out. maybe support it on the bottom with a book or something when u slide it out.

do the pc fans not have those 4 holes in each corner on each side? what i would do is put a thin strip of rubbery material like draft excluder inbetween the fans on the edges and then tie trhough the holes with elastic bands. if there are gaps between the fan because of the rubber stuff then just a bit of tape to seal... pc fans are plastic and light so should be easy. I think if u bolt them together they will vibrate together and increase the noise.

or you could get some silicon fan mounts or something- assuming the fans have those holes, but why wouldn't they?

oh, and also is the stuff around your room so top secret you had to blur it out? haha

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Thanks guys, and welcome to IC, 321. Unfortunately it's the other "filled in" type of mount so it's just not do-able. I haven't had a good hunt for the bolts online yet, been too busy or tired. I'll ask those guys I got the fans from. I saw that they sold silicon gaskets, I guess you could call them - I'll pick some up. Cheers.

I bought a rather extreme power adaptor for these two fans from the electronics store. Even though they have speed dials, it's hard to tune them in together or they make this weird cycling noise. This power adaptor I got is switchable voltage and is 3 Amps!! All the switchable voltage adaptors I found in stores were miniscule Ampage. I found one with 1 Amp on the pack (enough for my needs) but I looked closer and that is only when running at 3v. It was way way less @ 12v.

It's sort of like a power supply they use in labs? Where it has contacts to stick the wires in. I'll get some photos up in a bit.

Oh hi DI, I just typed all that out and then got your reply. What do you mean exactly by "or you could get some silicon fan mounts or something- assuming the fans have those holes, but why wouldn't they?". Would that let me attach two fans like mine? (the solid, filled in ones) Edit: ah I get you now, never mind

This is what the fan holes look like:

http://www.xtremods.com/vbulletin/reviews/thermaltake/smart/imagepages/image2.htm

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Also, the sliders are rated at 45kg. The pot is roughly 17 or 18 litres, so I reckon it should work. It's a bloody good idea! I've seen it before but it never really sunk in just how fantastic it is.

Ahaha yeah man I gots all sorts of dodgy stuff around my house :p Yes I am way too paranoid sometimes

basscadet

F'en brilliant design Scrub, that sliding base will make training and feeding so much easier.

I've been thinking about the fan problem and, if they don't need to be touching, you could get two of those 80mm - 120mm adaptors, and attatch the fans to them and join the adaptors together, them mount it to the exhaust of the scrubber. So it would go fan/ adaptor/ adaptor/ fan.
These;
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_72&products_id=11029

You'd have a small space between the fans but I don't think it would cause too many problems. Computer stores most likely have smaller ones like 80mm - 90mm, but just a thought.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
That would choke the flow down to 80mm though :( Thanks but guess what, I talked to my bro just now and he has a drill press! :woohoo: So I'm going to attempt drilling 'em out tomorrow.

basscadet

Oh, you have 120mm fans? Maybe that would work with smaller fans and joining the larger ends together.

Good news about the drill press tho, GL!

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Yup 120's :D

One thing I could have done is: I do have a second one of the LED thermaltakes so I could have switched and have two (lesser spec'd and quieter) LED thermaltakes as the stacked fans (they allow the bolting together with short bolts), and use one of the heavier duty and louder "smart case fan II" thermaltakes for the single exhaust fan right at the end of flow. I bet that made zero sense to anyone but me.

If I happen to crack one of the fans I drill, I'll probably do that anyway. It's just not perfectly how I want things. You know how it is. :D

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Now that I think about it, if the drilling goes well, I'll stack the "smart case" fans AND stack two "LED" fans so there'll be two pushing, and two pulling. They'll all be hooked up to this:

It's regulated and overload protected and obviously voltage switchable and 3 amps as mentioned (I'll use 2 amps). Hell, I could even stack two lots of three fans if I wanted. Hopefully more reliable than the average ebay wall wart.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Well the drilling went a-ok. :yes: Things have been moving slowly but steadily. Here is the carbon filter taking shape. The carbon layer will be on top of that white screen.

Man, it didn't take long to realise paint on plastic is useless. I'm thinking of skinning the carbon filter with a cardboard box. I also want to line the inside walls of the filter box with thick heavy carpet underlay or something of that nature. It's like an echo chamber and that's where all the noisy fans are. The filter box itself is 120 litres. The carbon screen area is approx 26" x 16". Once the carbon is in it should be quieter too.

I ended up stacking the LED thermaltakes as well, as shown, pre tape

What I ended up doing is putting 3 steel washers between each fan. They have to be spaced or else the suction rips the wires up into the next fan's blades. There's no vibration and I'm pretty sure I can run them at 6v and get sufficient and stealthy air flow. There's no way in hell you could run the orange thermaltakes at 12v. Noooo waaaaay. Not even under 6ft of cement. Not even in a legitimate computer ffs. Anyway, all 4 fans are hooked quietly to the adjustable power supply and nicely in sync. :)

The following is one of those little ideas that had me stumped for ages. I made this little duct collar out of a cd spindle and some metal angles. May not look like much but I'm very proud of it! It fills the gap between bottom of carbon filter and top of cab.

So hopefully you see how all that is working. And here is the roof of the cab, pre paint, with the filter sitting in place above

I should have some significant updates in the next couple of days. :pimp3:

immaculate

Wow, that duct collar idea is awesome. Might've just solved some scrubber issues for me down the line.

Can't wait for your updates.

Latest posts

Latest posts