What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2019 New Zealand 30lb Backyard Attempt

therevverend

Veteran
It might be just that the plants didn't need a lot of N to begin with, they went into flowering so quickly. Almost all your plants look great, if a few are freaking out or over-or-under- fertilized, oh well. They're still in early flowering, all that lush green growth should pay off at harvest. As advanced as some of them look, it's still very early. As a reference for other Northern Hemisphere growers reading this, it's still mid-August. At this point my plants would be showing the first signs of flowering.

I'd be on the ball, literally, with all your plants, even your most trusted clones. I've seen too many hermaphrodites to trust any strain. I'd make a point, every time you're in the garden, of inspecting for balls. You've got too much too lose to be complacent. The ones I hate are the tricky ones that dangle down low off the flowers. You can't see them when you're standing, you need to crouch over or get on your knees and look up at the undersides of the flower clusters. It's a pain in the ass but it's better then picking seeds later.

You've got some weirdness factors that could cause sex reversal, anything from heat stress to light cycle changes, it doesn't take much with some plants. The stress of flowering a month early and going crinkle-leaf could push them over the edge. My friend's Grape Ape x Bubblegum strain starts to crinkle-leaf when it needs magnesium. And it always seems to need magnesium, my other plants will look fine but the Grape Ape x Bubblegum will start crinkling until I give it Epsom Salts.

Last summer he had one plant that kept crinkling and didn't stop. It looked like the bugs in the garden sensed the plant was weak and attacked it. Other posters who looked at my pictures swore the plant had broad mites. He checked with a microscope, they did not. Just a weird genetic mutation or virus or who knows. Here's a picture to compare with yours.

picture.php

It's probably still a bit early for your plants to start turning to autumn colors, I'd expect the yellow shift to start in a couple weeks. The mold issue sucks, I don't know much about your weather but it seems to be in the sweet spot for boytritis. The trick is getting at least some sun and wind every day to dry the flowers out. When they get soaking wet and never dry out is when they get really bad. Hopefully you'll have cuts of the ones that show the best resistance, breeding is the one critical factor in beating the mold.

pahut

Thanks for such detailed reply Rev. You're right that it's only early - I think the main date for chop will be late March or early April, although there may be some ready earlier and some later.

And yeah mate I see what you mean about being thorough when searching for nads, there's just so much to go over. I am glad we have heaps of clones in the ground, I know you say they're susceptible too but they certainly look healthy with a good green.

Will look into the magnesium for crinkle leaf - they're getting epsom salts anyways so it may be something else. The nugs on the crinkle leaf stuff looks nice though so am glad about that.

On the topic of bugs - did another neem spray today. I know its not reccomended in flowering by some members but we'll take the chance of some slightly off taste bud as opposed no no taste bud coz it doesn't exist coz of caterpillars haha. The first neem seemed to have kept them at bay. Have been hunting around to kill them manually but have only found 5 or 6 today. Hopefully after the 3rd neem we'll be back on track.

And PDX, who knows mate could be anything but I'm leaning towards a stray hermy

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
Nice jungle there Pahut, how many plants have you got? I bet you will pull your 30# target with that lot, maybe even 50#.

pahut

Thanks Frosty and there's around 100 in the ground but could be a few more.

Here's hoping! We're going to have to do a gradual harvest I think just to keep on top of things

pahut

Some pics from today (16 Feb)

Smaller GSC

IMG-20200216-152405.jpg

gsc.jpg

Below is a plant we call "Shitty Clone". First pic is them back in November. Brother had a hard time growing this plant indoors, it had some really weird characteristics in that it sort of grew like a re-veg plant, really hard to manage. You can see how shit the clones look, hence the name. Only grew it coz why not it's a gauranteed female. Seems to have come into it's own growing outside though. It's got an amazingly sweet citrus smell to it that no other plant has. It may not turn out the best smoke like the name brand strains but I love the smell of it.

shittyclone.jpg

shitty-clone.jpg

pahut

Group Shots
-Big Guerilla Left and Center Back, Monster Crop on the Right

IMG-20200216-092329.jpg

Jacks touching the roof (tied down too) and unknown plants foreground

IMG-20200216-145811.jpg

Pumpkin

Veteran
fucking awesome. really love this grow!

what are you feeding the plants? I'm no sick plant expert (but until one replys), but maybe dial it back a bit on the good stuff (could have skewed your ph off if you got too heavy handed)? If that is not the issue, a handful of gypsum or three maybe. Might be lacking calcium. I'm not the best at this sort of stuff, but gypsum will not hurt even if it is not the issue. Hard to overdo it.

My advice is that if you know you are overfeeding, then stop and flush with fresh water. If you are not overfeeding add gypsum. That is just my feels and what I would do, not expert advice. I'm very far from a soil scientist :)

Without knowing what you are doing and your soil, these are my best guesses :)

Last edited:

pahut

Thanks for that advice Pumpkin - you know your stuff man, always glad to see a post from you mate!

Only saw your reply today though sadly, been busy week. Got a feeling I double fed these ones with liquid potash, also have a feeling that the holes were damn near dug into tree roots lol so the drainage might be shit.
We ended up water flushing and it hasn't gotten much better but the buds are still growing good. Even though it's a sick plant I really like the look of it haha.
If I spot gypsum will def grab some, although at this stage I think we've decided it is what it is - it's only a few sick ones.

Thanks again mate

And thanks PDX, but don't be too jealous haha. She don't look like that anymore ... good and bad.
The Good being shit loads of colas swaying everywhere! The Bad is that the caterpillars have moved in, made themselves comfortable....no good at all man :/
So we've been BT spraying/drenching and killing any we find in middle of the buds, but it honestly feels like too little too late..is it true 10 caterpillars can kill a healthy plant in just 48hrs??
I'm hoping we can save it all with the BT taking care of the outliers and us personally killing the ones nested inside... she's a big job mate, next 48 hrs are guna have to be garden intensive putting it mildly to save it

mr.brunch

Veteran
Damn, sorry to hear mate...Pop those little bastards!
I’ve been thinking about netting this year to keep the butterflies off... hearing that has made me sure
Best of luck :tiphat:

Pumpkin

Veteran
Any updates on this? How is the plastic working for you? Is it super humid in there, or you have enough airflow?

PDX Dopesmoker

Thanks for that advice Pumpkin - you know your stuff man, always glad to see a post from you mate!

Only saw your reply today though sadly, been busy week. Got a feeling I double fed these ones with liquid potash, also have a feeling that the holes were damn near dug into tree roots lol so the drainage might be shit.
We ended up water flushing and it hasn't gotten much better but the buds are still growing good. Even though it's a sick plant I really like the look of it haha.
If I spot gypsum will def grab some, although at this stage I think we've decided it is what it is - it's only a few sick ones.

Thanks again mate

And thanks PDX, but don't be too jealous haha. She don't look like that anymore ... good and bad.
The Good being shit loads of colas swaying everywhere! The Bad is that the caterpillars have moved in, made themselves comfortable....no good at all man :/
So we've been BT spraying/drenching and killing any we find in middle of the buds, but it honestly feels like too little too late..is it true 10 caterpillars can kill a healthy plant in just 48hrs??
I'm hoping we can save it all with the BT taking care of the outliers and us personally killing the ones nested inside... she's a big job mate, next 48 hrs are guna have to be garden intensive putting it mildly to save it

Hopefully the kind you've got is subject to the workings of BT like our are, if so then they little fuckers will be gone pretty quick. I spray BT pretty regularly starting from the start of flowering and haven't had trouble from caterpillars since I started do that. A diatomacous earth dusting seemed to help keep caterpillars off my plants too.

Latest posts

Latest posts