What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2019 New Zealand 30lb Backyard Attempt

pahut

We've just moved all our Jack Herer seedlings together in the veg room, they'll go out once the greenhouse is up.

IMG-20191119-212406.jpg

Also will most likely be culling the worst of the PH affected plants this week and reusing pots, they're mopey looking bastards :wacko: These 3 plus 4 more need to be put out of their misery - unless you guys think otherwise?

sick.jpg

19th Nov Ladies:

IMG-20191119-165456.jpg

P

pongster

We've just moved all our Jack Herer seedlings together in the veg room, they'll go out once the greenhouse is up.

Also will most likely be culling the worst of the PH affected plants this week and reusing pots, they're mopey looking bastards :wacko: These 3 plus 4 more need to be put out of their misery - unless you guys think otherwise?

hello brother! been following your thread since the beginning :D
maybe you shouldn't just kill those sick plants... perhaps put them in the ground and wait? i see you have some spare space.

if they grow they grow, if they die they die... they can still give you a couple of grams :D

best wishes bro
:rasta:

Pumpkin

Veteran
21 smaller plants actually in the 7x7 space. I don't think I have any photos of that grow. Got a bit over a lb a plant. Can't remember the exact number. If I find photos at some point i'll post some for you.

pahut

hello brother! been following your thread since the beginning :D
maybe you shouldn't just kill those sick plants... perhaps put them in the ground and wait? i see you have some spare space.

if they grow they grow, if they die they die... they can still give you a couple of grams :D

best wishes bro
:rasta:

Thanks for following mate, enjoy the ride with us!

Smart thinking about leaving the plants... even if we only get an oz of each or not even that, it's only cost us water. If we run out of space they'll probably be the first to go though. They should be the same size as the bigger plants we've got as they were part of the first batch to go out, they're stunted really bad.

21 smaller plants actually in the 7x7 space. I don't think I have any photos of that grow. Got a bit over a lb a plant. Can't remember the exact number. If I find photos at some point i'll post some for you.

Pound a plant sounds pretty damn good mate. Let us know if those pics turn up. Run into any major/minor issues along the way?

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
What were you yeilding off the 10 gallon bag plants? That's 45 litres, and our holes take 80-100 litres of soil.

Did you have any issues having all those different strains growing at once? Some finishing earlier/later or some having certain strain dependant issues?

Have some chickens running around so will heed your advice with the topdressing - cheers!

Thankyou so much Chunkypigs for taking the time to comment so detailed, really appreciate it mate.

I harvested tops first, then more a week later, then the small interior stuff last so I don't know what the 10 gal plants weighed by themselves.

I'd guess 3-6 zips each depending on strain etc. I was making my mix hotter every time and watching for signs of stress so the last plants set did better than the first.

yeah with so many strains there were some that went off early and others later. My wedding Cake, GMO, Super Silver Haze, Forum cookies and Chem D were very late to trigger but they did finish up nice after the first frost.

And Chunky, did you do any training on your plants or let mother nature do her thing? They all look so uniform and natural, love it

I stakedd some plant that flop bad like this ECSD but they were mostly un trained.
picture.php

this sour dubble got some bondage to open her up.
picture.php

this Dos-si-dos got the most extreme training to open her up and she had the biggest buds but some bud rot too...
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

pahut

I harvested tops first, then more a week later, then the small interior stuff last so I don't know what the 10 gal plants weighed by themselves.

I'd guess 3-6 zips each depending on strain etc. I was making my mix hotter every time and watching for signs of stress so the last plants set did better than the first.

yeah with so many strains there were some that went off early and others later. My wedding Cake, GMO, Super Silver Haze, Forum cookies and Chem D were very late to trigger but they did finish up nice after the first frost.

Ahh okay I was thinking bit more than 3-6 zips from the pics but looks can be deceiving.

What would be your favorite plant out of that lot to grow? I've seen KaliGrownBudz Platinum Dosi strain which comes from the Dosi you've got I believe, it was his biggest yielder and the nugs looked absolutely beautiful - like it was grown indoors lol. So how was the Dosi compared to others?

And did you use a machine trimmer or by hand? I hope not by hand haha makes my wrist hurt already :biggrin:

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Update 26 & 28 November

View Image

View Image

Hello Pahut, I added dried grass mulch to my small guerrilla plot for the first time ever, and the results have been very good. The ground stays moist for much longer than bare ground would, there are NO weeds poking through anywhere, and there is lots of fungal growth under the mulch, which I understand is beneficial to gardening soil.

If you haven't already planned to add mulch, I would highly recommend the idea, provided of course that care is taken to prevent the mulch from making direct contact with the plant stems. Mow the lawn, let the sun dry the emptied mower bag contents, and then you have yourself some 100% chemical free mulch for this thriving weed garden you have created.

therevverend

Veteran
Looking good man those plants should have plenty of time to get big. I'm not sure about 30 lbs. For your first outdoors attempt you should be thrilled if you get 10, but I'll be rooting for you. Your spacing seems tight, if the plants end up getting big they'll be packed in. If you haven't culled males that'll free up space but in 3 months you'll have a jungle. Watering will be tricky.

How's the weather in autumn? That could make or break your year. I know NZ tends towards an oceanic climate. Green and beautiful but it could put you in the sweet spot for boytritis. Of course there's always micro-climates, areas that are better then others. I'd consider a hoop house and dehumidifiers since you're close to a power source. It may be too late for all that, those plants look like they'll outgrow everything. I'd predict some of your stuff will kick ass, some will be half ass and you'll learn a lot. Most of your crop may end up coming from a few plants that really shine. so be sure to make seeds and/or take clones. You'll want to keep your valuable keeper stuff that thrives in the climate and soil. And cull the stuff that doesn't.

pahut

(Video of ladies https://vimeo.com/378747481)

Well we finally got the film up. It's rough, nothings straight or level but it was cobbled together with bits from around the property - we'll take free and functional over expensive functional and pretty.

Now we've got a bit more space have finally been able to get some more plants in the ground. Today and yesterday put 8 plants in holes - few unknowns and a Jack Herer and couple more of the guerrilla strain. Will be moving small AK47 into a new hole since it's got a pole in front and a massive monster crop right next to it. Also removed the sick GSC and put another plant in her place.

Another day or two and I'll have all remaining bucket plants outside into holes. But..... there's still another 20-30+ in veg inside. Plus a shit tonne of AKs and GSC clones rooted. So looking like they'll be the ones that see the grow through in buckets sadly. But not even sure if we'll have room for them outside. Maybe we'll surreptitiously dot a few around the property or down the road. Or maybe brother will make use of them in his flowering room. He got given a couple more 600w lights to try out the other day so a SOG or scrog would be an efficient use of them, especially under 2kw+ lighting.

Too hard to take photos of everything for you guys to see so have taken vid of a walk around. Once get a better camera can get some nice close vids. Make sure to watch HD https://vimeo.com/378747481

Pic
IMG-20191211-155717.jpg

PDX Dopesmoker

Nice sized plants and its not even the solstice yet, I guess they'll veg for another couple months still, thanks for the update.

Brother Nature

It's gonna be a jungle in there soon enough mate! Looking nice, love the kiwi ingenuity too. Nice to see things are progressing well for you, just about to move some clones out myself in the coming weeks.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
You've got a sea of green in the making Pahut. By the time flowering rolls around, you'll need to pick your way with care through a tangle of spears and monster buds.

I notice that the outdoor grow forum goes quiet after October each year, when growers in the northern hemisphere finish up their harvests, so it is great to read about "out of season" grows from the southern hemisphere and Equitorial areas , during those otherwise quiet times.

I don't mean to be too nosy by offering unsolicited growing advice, but I only started using dry grass as mulch this year, and the results have been noticeable, especially in terms of the ground retaining its moisture for a lot longer that it did when there was no mulch covering. Give mulch a try, and you'll probably use it all the time afterward.

pahut

Thanks guys.
Yeah a month or so more veg, the one that's a monster now is going to be crazy lol. Am hoping some finish sooner than others so will have some early smoke.

Thanks Badfishy1 that eruption was pretty crazy. Lucky don't know anyone involved. Did see an airforce plane in the air though which gave me the shits.

Thanks Brother Nature a jungle it will be haha. Will need to start thinking about supporting tall branches. Not gonna be fun! How big do you think your clones will get before harvest?

Cheers Swamp Thang - that's the plan mate sort of like that Cheech and Chong movie where they shut the roof of the massive greenhouse to hide from the cops or whatever haha.
Yeah it def seems quite round here, more activity at the southern hemi sites like OzStoners but we love ICMag so had to post here. We appreciate you taking an interest mate, have you got a winter grow going over there?
And agreed 100% bout the mulch - so many people have said the same thing but I just haven't gotten round to it. Last lot of clippings went in compost so might do lawns tomorrow and let it dry out then give it a shot. Thanks for the reminder, definietly needed to be brought to the forefront of my mind as I notice a batch of the plants top leafs are curling.
Although on the plants with a big footprint, the dirt beneath is fully shaded anyway, so just for the smaller plants?

FoxFace

(Video of ladies https://vimeo.com/378747481)

Well we finally got the film up. It's rough, nothings straight or level but it was cobbled together with bits from around the property - we'll take free and functional over expensive functional and pretty.

Now we've got a bit more space have finally been able to get some more plants in the ground. Today and yesterday put 8 plants in holes - few unknowns and a Jack Herer and couple more of the guerrilla strain. Will be moving small AK47 into a new hole since it's got a pole in front and a massive monster crop right next to it. Also removed the sick GSC and put another plant in her place.

Another day or two and I'll have all remaining bucket plants outside into holes. But..... there's still another 20-30+ in veg inside. Plus a shit tonne of AKs and GSC clones rooted. So looking like they'll be the ones that see the grow through in buckets sadly. But not even sure if we'll have room for them outside. Maybe we'll surreptitiously dot a few around the property or down the road. Or maybe brother will make use of them in his flowering room. He got given a couple more 600w lights to try out the other day so a SOG or scrog would be an efficient use of them, especially under 2kw+ lighting.

Too hard to take photos of everything for you guys to see so have taken vid of a walk around. Once get a better camera can get some nice close vids. Make sure to watch HD https://vimeo.com/378747481

Pic
View Image
another good outside grow for me to learn:)

Latest posts

Latest posts