What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2017 tester run - KC x Zamaldelica fem

Texicwaste666

are you running coco and pearlite in that bed. Looks cool. i have some Zamadelicas and some Malawi x PCK. How long of a photo cycle do you take for your panamas?

deepwaterdude

are you running coco and pearlite in that bed. Looks cool. i have some Zamadelicas and some Malawi x PCK. How long of a photo cycle do you take for your panamas?

@ Texicwaste, that's Batch 64 Coco Mix; lots of rice hulls, perlite, mycos, slow release CalMag, other organic goodies. Nice stuff, more expensive than mixing your own, but if I did right now I'd go straight coco and perlite 50/50, precharging it with calmag;)

Big, chunky Panamas tend to do more than fine at 12/12; for the longer running green pheno, I'd drop to 11/13. Easy plants, very vigorous and great yielders, have always been the heaviest in my tent.

deepwaterdude

New generation in da ground

New generation in da ground

All the tadpoles had tails and were a'swimmin, so they got put into their light coco mix. I can see the vigor in the malawi by the fast growth of their little tails; dangerous strain, I can tell already. The Zam x KC are also predictably happy to be called to action, very healthy fresh seeds. The fat Zam x Panama seeds have all cracked, two tails evident, the floater seed is still shucking some seed cover. If they float more than 24hrs, i usually just poke them to the bottom of the cup and they usually stay down, fully saturated. It took this one 2 days. Again 2 ZAm x KC (current strain), 3 ZAm x Panama and 3 malawi, hoping for 6 females total.

I'm about to cut the buds off the harvested plant's stems and pile them in a drawer with humidity packets, try to slow dry from there. Everyone else is still on well water and molasses for at least 4 more days, maybe 7-10 for the trough girls. I see some flying root aphids from the trough, so I'll have to toss that coco into the outdoor garden after harvest, or boil it, and change tents most definitely.
Beautiful day out, enjoy!

orfeas

Veteran
All the tadpoles had tails and were a'swimmin, so they got put into their light coco mix. I can see the vigor in the malawi by the fast growth of their little tails; dangerous strain, I can tell already. The Zam x KC are also predictably happy to be called to action, very healthy fresh seeds. The fat Zam x Panama seeds have all cracked, two tails evident, the floater seed is still shucking some seed cover. If they float more than 24hrs, i usually just poke them to the bottom of the cup and they usually stay down, fully saturated. It took this one 2 days. Again 2 ZAm x KC (current strain), 3 ZAm x Panama and 3 malawi, hoping for 6 females total.

I'm about to cut the buds off the harvested plant's stems and pile them in a drawer with humidity packets, try to slow dry from there. Everyone else is still on well water and molasses for at least 4 more days, maybe 7-10 for the trough girls. I see some flying root aphids from the trough, so I'll have to toss that coco into the outdoor garden after harvest, or boil it, and change tents most definitely.
Beautiful day out, enjoy!

exhilaratingly hilarious...feels as if I'm reading meself in that germination approach :biggrin: Looking forward to seeing your jamkali grow...comparison curiosity mostly...mine's a young lady now... :)

:tiphat:Orfeas

Old Toker

I'm about to cut the buds off the harvested plant's stems and pile them in a drawer with humidity packets, try to slow dry from there.
Hey DWD....what's your drying environment like? I think I saw you hang a plant in your room...but what's your RH and temps? Still trying to figure out how to do mine. Thanks!:tiphat:

deepwaterdude

@orfeas, Hey, I've seen your skills so anything in common, good sign! All 8 swimmers are in the ground now and I expect to see them back within 4 days, transformed;o)

OT, it's very dry around here and hot period starting. Very good this grow is finishing so I can redo my setup for PM flower. I do hang plants when I can, and I will with Beast and 5 top, coming down tomorrow or Wednesday at 9 weeks. Generally the grow situation will determine if I cut branches or hang whole plant. For example, Miss P sharing the trough and wound all over the tent, I had to cut her out 1/2 branch at a time. This made around 30-40 small branches to hang and all my ceiling hooks are taken with lights but one, so f%$# it, they dried in the basket;) These hooks are freed up when I cut the two three gals, so they can hang whole, also smaller plants.
It was very warm during daytime near the windows and despite the coverings and RH not over 30%, so they were ready for the drawer after a somewhat surprising 3-4 days. Small plants dry faster and heat speeds it up;) No fan on them really, just the moved air from the other fans in the room. I've overdone it on airflow before while drying buds and that's a big loss. With my RH I take it easy, I've learned to slow the dry by putting them in a wooden drawer in a pile with humidity packets, turning it everyday and then when their weight feels almost right, I stick them in open Ziplocks with the packets, then finally sealed. Everything really happens in the drawer after the first dry.
I think you asked about the flush for coco, and I'm doing two waterings daily with 1 tsp gal of molasses at .3-.4 EC. Important to get same runoff, maybe more if you need the medium flushed faster like me. For you, you can go slowly, reduce waterings to half after first week of water and molasses if you want. I try to mimic natural water patterns; heavy watering in plant's "spring" and "summer", then tapering off in their fall.
Gooday, gotta go do second water. First 7:30 am, second 11:30.

Old Toker

Thank you DWD! All VERY helpful.:tiphat:
Even at 30% RH it still takes 3/4 days to get dry enough for the drawer? I know you said it's warm....but about how warm did it get during this 3/4 days?

Still thinking about using a cardboard garment box (https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Boxes/Clothing-Moving-Boxes/Grand-Wardrobe-Box?id=6560) and just opening or closing the flap to try to keep humidity inside around 60%. I need to dehumidify my lung room (garage) to about 50%RH in order to keep the night time (dark) period in the tent to 55-60%RH. Temps in the room are about 69-70f. I'm hoping the intakes for the tent will keep the smell in the garage and not leak outside. If not...I'll have to run an intake through the box. Which will probably take care of the smell....but dry the buds faster. You are fortunate that smell isn't an issue for you.

Thanks again for the help....and good luck with the grow!:tiphat:

Borderliner

OT, just to let you know when I've put boiling water to the root does take longer hanging time b4 able to put in jars. Now I hang mine up in the bathroom with room relative humidity around 25 still takes 3-4 days to be ready for the jars and will have a RH in jars 65-75%.

There's evidence, scientific paper, boiling water to root will cause stomas of the plant to close retaining moisture. I believe there is enough anecdotal reports more is going on as well.

Without boiling water to root here in these conditions plants will be ready, small twig almost breaks upon bending, in 2-3 days.

There may be some advantage apart from a slow drying process to keep RH at the level you mentioned. If so let me know I'm here to learn:tiphat:

Old Toker

There may be some advantage apart from a slow drying process to keep RH at the level you mentioned. If so let me know I'm here to learn:tiphat:
Thank you sir! Appreciate the info. I don't know WHAT temp/RH%/# of days is the best for drying and curing. I've read "slower is better 7-10days". Other people seem to do fine with shorter drying periods in lower RH%. I'm just taking a shot at 60-65% RH% and temps under 70f. I'd like colder temps of about 65f....but my window banger is doing all it can in the FL heat to keep the garage under 70. So....like most growers.... I'll work with what I have.
Thanks again! :tiphat:

Borderliner

West Coast high plains desert here. Yes sir work with what we got. Have read same slower is better 7-10 days. After reading and scratching my head as RH here is 20-25% starts looking like another environmental controlled room or ducked cabinet.

That's when ran across boiling roots and did so to see what results. What I could do is run same strain again then go 7-10 days at 60-65% RH drying. The results can tell for myself.:tiphat:

deepwaterdude

Huh, never heard of boiling the roots. Can you say more about it? I'll do some research in the meanwhile... learn something new every day;)

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Congrats on the harvest friend ;)

Wish they provide the quality you deserve! The Zamaldelica x KC hashplant pheno is without any doubt (beside the problem with nanas in late flowering) a great expression of the most extreme hashplant expressions that Kali China line can deliver. While Lady S, the other Zamaldelica x KC pheno, with much cleaner flowers and much better flower/leaf ratio, is also a very nice more sativa KC pheno with slightly Zamaldelica influence, i don't see any appreciable Zamaldelica influence in the hashplant pheno, at least based only on the pics. Anyway i'm glad you have found this new hybrid enough interesting to make a second round with them, that's always a good sign!

I'm also glad to know that you are starting more ACE genetics from seed for your next grow, i'm sure you will find interesting to experience the pure Malawi, the new Zamaldelica x Panama regular hybrid is showing very good potential in early tests too!

deepwaterdude

Congratulations right back on a great strain;) The plants are all unique and each very promising. Lady S is pretty done but'll get her week more with ZAmTam. The short hashplant has gotten very thick in her colas and she or the taller black one should come down later today @9 weeks, so very nice rolling harvest going.
I'm very happy to try these again under better conditions and being more aware of hormonal sensitivity/stretch etc. I think KC as a base for any cross is a good move, and as so far the effect is very sativa and warm, I'd be interested in the Hashplant cross to get more Indica effect. I think the ZAm probably adds trippiness for sure as I found the two times I've smoked it pretty disorienting and kind at the same time. Very smiley, too.
Anyhoo, another harvest coming and a malawi neck above ground;)

deepwaterdude

Beast down at 62 days - ZAm x KC bean up;)

Beast down at 62 days - ZAm x KC bean up;)

The wheel in the sky keeps on turnin':rtfo: Beast came down and Beastlet came up;) Malawi number 2 and Zam x KC number 1 are first to break ground. Here's harvest pics.

Attachments

• Beast down 9 weeks-2 branches.jpg
    Beast down 9 weeks-2 branches.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Beast 1st branch.jpg
    Beast 1st branch.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 3rd branch.jpg
    3rd branch.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 4th, trimmed.jpg
    4th, trimmed.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 10
  • All big leaves off first 2.jpg
    All big leaves off first 2.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 5 top.jpg
    5 top.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Lady S.jpg
    Lady S.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Lady S tops.jpg
    Lady S tops.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 14
  • ZamTam.jpg
    ZamTam.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Lady S clone, about 8in tall.jpg
    Lady S clone, about 8in tall.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 12

Borderliner

Huh, never heard of boiling the roots. Can you say more about it? I'll do some research in the meanwhile... learn something new every day;)

DWD, from my experience the plants once cut and hanging the closed stomas traps their internal humidity as opposed to room humidity and slowly released over days getting to the point where the smallest twig will almost snap when bent. Usually takes 4-5 days hanging. I miswrote earlier. Without boiling the roots hanging time is 2-3 days.

So I think because internal humidity is so high like wrote when they go into jars with a RH 65-75% or greater so that outside RH does not matter as much.

Some have reported boiling the roots releases the plant's "goodness", it puts the plant into survival mood and it's fighting the fight of it's life. After boiling the roots leave under the lights for couple days then dark room till it dies. Can take 1 wk to do so.

That's the full receipt as I know. Will be interesting to read what you find out.:tiphat:

deepwaterdude

DWD, from my experience the plants once cut and hanging the closed stomas traps their internal humidity as opposed to room humidity and slowly released over days getting to the point where the smallest twig will almost snap when bent. Usually takes 4-5 days hanging. I miswrote earlier. Without boiling the roots hanging time is 2-3 days.

So I think because internal humidity is so high like wrote when they go into jars with a RH 65-75% or greater so that outside RH does not matter as much.

Some have reported boiling the roots releases the plant's "goodness", it puts the plant into survival mood and it's fighting the fight of it's life. After boiling the roots leave under the lights for couple days then dark room till it dies. Can take 1 wk to do so.

That's the full receipt as I know. Will be interesting to read what you find out.:tiphat:

Hey, cool recipe. I'll boil the little one tomorrow then give her a couple more days under lights, a couple no lights. Thanks for the detail.

deepwaterdude

DWD......going boldly where few men have gone. Let's see some pics of this boiling operation. :tiphat:

Uh..Mission control... we have a problem. No boiling roots as my exhaust fan burned out last night. caught it because of a weird noise coming from the room and when I opened it up it was a bit smoky! Very glad I was home when this happened and that I checked the room.
This means I have to shut down the HID and throw all the LEDs in the tent, meaning in turn that 5 top needs to come down today. Gee, darn
:biggrin: Gotta get on it, somewhat busy day.
Hope this finds you all well and enjoying da ladies, dwd