What's new

2014 Wild & Wonderful Outdoor Adventure!

therevverend

Veteran
I'd start by just picking them off, smushing them with your fingers. I think the Malathion should do the rest. Just be sure to get the stems too. And remember that Malathion is nasty stuff not great for the environment so use it sparingly and efficiently.
You could also put something sticky around the stem base to keep them from climbing up it. Once they hit their full growth they'll outgrow any damage the scales can do.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Since the last update I've gone back and sprayed them with Immunox fungicide to protect against blight and also a new insecticide which seems to be working alright (though not spectacular). Garden Safe insecticide from Shultz.

I have also begun supercropping all the plants. Being my first time doing it, I killed a couple leaves. Fortunately they were lower leaves but still.

Anyway, here are some updated pics. Most are taken post-supercropping.

picture.php

A struggling Green Poison, I think due to lack of sunlight and bugs:
picture.php

One of the KC33s
picture.php

Green Poison recovering from the Scales
picture.php

The big KC33
picture.php

Last edited:

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Here is the third Green Poison which is doing very well.
picture.php

Here is a small (but healthy!) KC33
picture.php

And here is a close-up on a couple of my supercrops which, I think I may have done prematurely. Perhaps I should have waited until the branches had gotten a little longer
picture.php

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Yesterday I went out and fed them again. I am very very gradually increasing the amount of nutrients I give them in anticipation for them to begin stretching in 2-3 weeks when they'll really take off and need more nutrients to reach their full potential.

That's just a theory I've heard about from another member and I'll be putting it to the test and will report my results.

I am continuing to supercrop new growth as it comes in and develops, and the plants are finally starting to bush out a little bit in addition to growing much taller. I figure as soon as new growth has a stem of a few inches, you may as well supercrop early as new growth (in really any organism) responds much better to damage/stress than established growth. My hope is for quicker and stronger recovery yielding a stronger "knuckle" to ship nutrients up the stem.

I also took some pictures but one of the leaves on another Green Poison turned yellow and shriveled up. It was only one leaf and it was about midway up the plant. I'm not too sure what caused it but if anyone has any ideas it'd be much appreciated.

You can also see in one of the pictures my method of watering that I use once plants start getting bigger. Instead of just pouring water on the base of the plant, I poke holes in the bottom of an 8 oz plastic bottle and bury it up the the mouth and pour water through it. This way, the water you administer to the plant goes about 4" below the surface and straight to the roots, instead of being poured on the surface and having to seep down while water is being lost to evaporation. When poured multiple inches down into the soil, it doesn't have much of a chance to evaporate (unless you're growing in pots).

Green Poison Leaf (different plant from the one with Scale damage earlier)
picture.php

The Green Poison in the above picture
picture.php

Buried water bottle
picture.php

The Green Poison that recovered from Scale damage
picture.php

Plot Shot
picture.php

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Had some wild storms recently, and unfortunately one of the KC33s snapped pretty far down the main stem, so that sucks. All the others look pretty healthy though, although one of the big KC33s had a pretty heavy lean to it.

All in all though the KC33 as well as Green Poison have been pretty damn vigorous thus far this season.

I'll put up some more pics tomorrow.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Went out yesterday and the plants are starting to fill out more. I've begun to very gradually increase the amount of nutrients I'm giving them.

Here's a pic of the main plot from yesterday
picture.php

A Green Poison from the second plot
picture.php

And here are a couple of the KC33s that have begun to fill out
picture.php

picture.php

Though I'm still going to end up with decent sized plants, I wish that I would have gotten an earlier start on this season. Next year I plan on either just starting from seed about a month or so earlier than I did this year or get some mothers going and then take clones in April.

In addition to an earlier start, I'm going to see to it that the plants get a little more sun next year.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Those really strong winds we had snapped a KC33 pretty far down on the main stem. Sucks to lose a plant like that (although I'm pretty sure not many other strains would have withstood as much wind as the other KCs did) but at least it's still alive... albeit topped at about 8 inches lol.

I'm gonna go ahead and grow this out though, some nug is better than no nug
picture.php

Here it is right after the severe weather:
picture.php

It's not a very clear picture, but when I was supercropping one of the KC33s it had already rained so the stems were brittle and I accidentally snapped one, but it's still connected by a couple hairs and this happened when I first entered the plot, and by the time I left a while later the leaves on the branch I snapped had not begun to curl at all, so I'm really pulling for it to pull through.

It's resting in place on a fan leaf for now and if it heals up that will be a hell of a nutrient knuckle!
picture.php

And here is a strange leaf I saw on the biggest of my KC33s. This was the only leaf like this, but on some of the other leaves the tips had almost like a plastic-like texture to them on the tips. Is this of any concern?
picture.php

hamstring

Veteran
And if anyone could help me diagnose whatever the fuck is going on with this leaf I would greatly appreciate it. There are like these translucent spots on one of my Green Poisons that you can see here:
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=54234&pictureid=1275751&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Not sure if scale is the same thing but I call that "hopper burn" Its from a leaf hopper and they do suck the juices out of the plant. If my plants are putting on veg fine I dont even spray them for this little pest. I haven't seen them do much damage unless your plants are covered in native vegetation. Keep the native veg lower than the plant and you will have minimal damage. No need to waste time and effort spraying for a little hopper burn. Leaf spot/blite different story good luck.

I just found a leaf like that on one of my plants, all the other vegetation is fine so I was puzzled. I have a few types of hopping insects on my plants, so this could be the reason for the stress.Thanks for the info.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Not sure if scale is the same thing but I call that "hopper burn" Its from a leaf hopper and they do suck the juices out of the plant. If my plants are putting on veg fine I dont even spray them for this little pest. I haven't seen them do much damage unless your plants are covered in native vegetation. Keep the native veg lower than the plant and you will have minimal damage. No need to waste time and effort spraying for a little hopper burn. Leaf spot/blite different story good luck.

Yeah I sprayed with insecticide and haven't seen any more damage since :woohoo:

I've been constantly thinking about leaf spot/blight this year and I've sprayed with Immunox twice now. Immunox has the same active ingredient as Eagle 20, myclobutanil.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Went out yesterday to feed them and supercrop some more. While I was out I took some pictures as well.

I also have refined my supercropping technique. I use my thumb nail as a wedge/lever whenever I bend the branch so that while I still bend the branch and manipulate how the branch will grow, my thumb nail cuts into the branch and breaks the outer wall. This way I have to bend less (therefore less risk of snapping branches) and still get the same effects (broken outer wall, manipulation of where the branch will grow out)

Here is a plot shot:
picture.php

One of the Green Poison:
picture.php

In this one you can see three of the KC33. The one on the left is the one that got snapped in the storm.
picture.php

And here's another KC
picture.php

KC33
picture.php

hamstring

Veteran
Everything looks good putting on veg fine.

I was going to mention some ground cover/mulch but if your worried about leaf spot I think keeping the ground bare may be a good idea.

Normally though I would go get some dead native veg from last year and put it around all those plants to keep moisture in the soil. It makes a big difference.

ManyManySpliffs

I'm pulling for you. Maybe you can look into a little LST'ing, for the stretchier plants. Otherwise looking nice and green, keep up the good work..

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
I'm pulling for you. Maybe you can look into a little LST'ing, for the stretchier plants. Otherwise looking nice and green, keep up the good work..

Thanks!

I thought about LST'ing, but I did a little reading on it and decided to just let the KC33 grow. As a mainly Sativa strain, it stretches a lot and much of its yield is due to it's size. As a very stretchy strain by nature and with the stretch period of the season coming up, the KC33 are about to hit some huge vertical growth spurts.

So my line of thinking is to take advantage of their upcoming growth spurts by supercropping the the main stem and all of the other growth that I can so that every shoot-soon-to-be-cola has a knuckle or two to shoot more nutrients up. This way all the shoots will be getting the nutrients they need to take advantage of the huge stretch that KC33 goes through in this time of year.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
So far no signs of any leaf spot or blight. Treated them all with Immunox on two different occasions so I'm gonna go back to it for next year.

Went out today and the girls are putting on some nice vegetation. The KC33s should really start to stretch any day now, and most are between 4-5 feet tall now, I'm hoping to see them end up somewhere around 6-8 feet tall.

Here is a shot of the main plot from today:
picture.php

Here is a KC33 on the right and a Green Poison behind it on the left:
picture.php

Two more KC33:
picture.php

Another KC33:
picture.php

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Next time I go out I'm going to spray one last time for blight, and it will also be the first time I start incorporating flowering nutrients into the water.

For now I'm going 50/50 veg flower nutes for the next few weeks while the plants are stretching. I've also begun increasing the amount of nutrients per gallon in anticipation of the stretch period, making sure the plants are getting the nutrients they need. Up until recently I've been giving a little over 6 grams/gal of Jack's fertilizer, & the last time I went I was up to 7.3 grams/gal and whenever I go back out in a couple days I think I'm going to bump it up to 8 grams/gal.

Here are some pictures from yesterday.
picture.php

Green Poison on the left, KC33 middle and right
picture.php

KC33
picture.php

Two more KC33. The one in front is well over 5'
picture.php

A Green Poison from the second plot that's a little bit behind
picture.php