What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

20' X 36' X 12' solar powered farmtek, 10 X 200 gallon organic soil

Coughie

Very nice;

Thank you for sharing

I'm working on a larger project, that I'm including Peyote Purple in,
Making the seedline of a sole surviving plant that goes by my screen name

I'll be looking for those coffee / caramel phenotypes
Is that what this girl is?

I've grown a 5-pack recently, so I know what you mean about 'slow veg' lol

Thanks again for sharing

self

Very nice;

Thank you for sharing

I'm working on a larger project, that I'm including Peyote Purple in,
Making the seedline of a sole surviving plant that goes by my screen name

I'll be looking for those coffee / caramel phenotypes
Is that what this girl is?

I've grown a 5-pack recently, so I know what you mean about 'slow veg' lol

Thanks again for sharing

well, see, thats where the mix up with the tester buds comes in. i forgot to let my trimmers know I needed to seperate out labeled samples from the 3 females I flowered outdoors last year. so Im hoping this one is the one. I went and sampled some of what I have left from last year, and sweet coffee smells still describe it well. a little fruitier than I remember, but its had a 9 month cure. Less astringent shampoo smell than I remember. smokes great, very smooth, very nice and easy indica effect, like a big warm cuddle.The buds also have a nice golden color to them. It would be a good strain to include in the kind of breeding program youre talking about. I've thought about the same thing a little. lots of chocolatey or earthy strains out there that might blend well too. Good luck! Id love to test something if it comes together. Good coffee, preferably single origin, and great organic cannabis are two addictions I take a lot of pleasure in.

@Roostaphish Thanks guy!

self

Cages

Cages

rewire cages started going up yesterday in the greenhouse. I couldnt find rewire by the roll like I have before, so I went with these sheets I found at home depot. Turns out they make a pretty perfect box around the the 200 gals. I just used zip ties to put it together, should make it come off easily at the end of the year, and I like the idea of storing the flat sheets instead of having round cages all over the place post-season.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

chickens on patrol
picture.php

F

fatalxerror

Wow its looking awesome. Do you notice any increase in humidity with the water sitting in the trays? Does it evaporate daily? It looks like they really like the bottom watering.

Last edited:

self

Wow its looking awesome. Do you notice any increase in humidity with the water sitting in the trays? Does it evaporate daily? It looks like they really like the bottom watering.
Thanks!! it starts to get pretty exciting from here on out :)
it wasnt really my intention to leave so much standing water in there, but my solar controller broke and I didnt get around to installing a new one until today.

The plants are definitely happy, so I cant see it having done them any harm at least.
There is a solid 16+ inches of medium above the water, so unless I was using a heavy medium, which Im not, there is plenty of aerobic soil root space.

I am going to pump it out and let it dry up a little over the next few days, mostly because its become a mosquito breeding ground.

My spot gets a lot of natural air movement and Ive been leaving the sides open day and night, so no humidity is collecting right now. it might be a problem during flower and the wet fall, but I can pump it out and it will dry up in a day or two.

F

fatalxerror

Thanks!! it starts to get pretty exciting from here on out :)
it wasnt really my intention to leave so much standing water in there, but my solar controller broke and I didnt get around to installing a new one until today.

The plants are definitely happy, so I cant see it having done them any harm at least.
There is a solid 16+ inches of medium above the water, so unless I was using a heavy medium, which Im not, there is plenty of aerobic soil root space.

I am going to pump it out and let it dry up a little over the next few days, mostly because its become a mosquito breeding ground.

My spot gets a lot of natural air movement and Ive been leaving the sides open day and night, so no humidity is collecting right now. it might be a problem during flower and the wet fall, but I can pump it out and it will dry up in a day or two.

Thanks for the reply and the pics. :)

self

Doing great. Those look like they are ready to explode with growth come flower. I like your chickens also. Chickens crack me up.
Thanks man. It seems like they're growing faster every day. I hit everyone with fish fert foliar 2 days ago and everyone just reached out, it was awesome. Followed that up last night with plain water and peppermint dr. bronners + Bt to take care of some cabbage loopers.
they fucking love the cages, when I spread their branches out the ladies go wild.

chickens crack me up too, thats probably the best way to explain them . endlessly entertaining!

Ducks are even better, but minks have killed mine one by one the last two winters and I dont want to deal with that again.
I shot one mink in the face with a 12g this spring, 3 1/2" steel shot was probably overkill, but he deserved it.
there was a new one back the next day.
The chickens are totally free range, and seem to be able to escape most of the time.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Thanks man. It seems like they're growing faster every day. I hit everyone with fish fert foliar 2 days ago and everyone just reached out, it was awesome. Followed that up last night with plain water and peppermint dr. bronners + Bt to take care of some cabbage loopers.
they fucking love the cages, when I spread their branches out the ladies go wild.

chickens crack me up too, thats probably the best way to explain them . endlessly entertaining!

Ducks are even better, but minks have killed mine one by one the last two winters and I dont want to deal with that again.
I shot one mink in the face with a 12g this spring, 3 1/2" steel shot was probably overkill, but he deserved it.
there was a new one back the next day.
The chickens are totally free range, and seem to be able to escape most of the time.

Haha damn, that's some pretty country shit right there! No fur coat out of that one! :laughing:

TnTLabs

nice... they are taking off now yes!!
those cage wire sheets are perfect yes, i used to have them too.. id use double as many zip ties though, they will be holding some weight.. best would be to fix them into the ground, otherwise the whole thing could topple over just before chop..
all the best

Last edited:

maxmurder

Veteran
Doing great. Those look like they are ready to explode with growth come flower. I like your chickens also. Chickens crack me up.

chicken are racists!
my friends have several chickens of similar breed and their daughter wanted this cute white fluffy one so they got it but the other chickens pick at it in the coop and when they're out in the yard the white one is all by it's self while all the others pack up and move around the property together.
shit when i read this it sounds a lot like jail hahahahaha.
jailbirds.
nice thread thanks for sharing.
i have some gh books from eliot coleman i think he's in maine.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Chickens are not racist

Chickens are not racist

Color doesn't matter a bit to them, but God help ya if you are the new chicken in the yard :yoinks:. There's a reason they talk about the "Pecking Order"!

The white chicken was simply the newest bird and the established flock acted accordingly in regards to the pecking order. Territorial fish will behave in much the same manner.

For example, establish a tank of cichlids and then add a new one. Unless it it super bad ass, it's life is going to suck and probably be short.

There are ways to get around this phenomenon for birds and fish, but it's not always easy. Buddy of mine had a nice flock of laying hens and a banty rooster. One hen went broody and wouldn't go in the coop and upset the other hens. As they started favoring cover rather than the coop, predators started thinning the flock.

He tried adding new hens and then pullets, but between the predation and the pecking order, his losses mounted and the only solution was to start over with fresh stock.

Admittedly he is not a chicken farmer, but that's how easy a small flock can get off track and crash and burn if they are not your main focus.

PS: YMMV and I personally hated that little rooster. That little bastard would sneak up on you and fuck you up - all he wanted was your blood and he was straight evil!!!

self

lol, all this chicken talk is cracking me up!
they are funny little beasts.
we are somewhere between free-range and straight feral with our flock. Luckily, there arent a lot of natural predators here. Eagles and hawks and mink, yes. but no raccoons or foxes or coyotes. Our chickens lay all over the place in the summer, so we get surprise chicks a few times a summer. still, survival rate is not very good for those wild chicks, but it offsets losses to other predators. We collect the eggs when they lay in their house and harvest rooster pullets when they are big enough.
roosters are no joke. we had 5 at one point this spring and the top rooster, who has 3" spikes on his legs, straight murdered another rooster for going after his hens.
chickens are tiny dinosaurs, id be terrified of them if they were bigger.
missing my ducks.

in other news, plants are growing like crazy right now. temps are about 70 at night and 90 during the day in the greenhouse. I made up 50 gallons of aact yesterday and watered everyone with that. preflowering is evident on most everyone. the darkstar is about to swallow its cage whole. I'll take some pics today.
peace